It's 3:32am and I'm (mildly) tripping on Escitalopram.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

ArtificialGlory
So I finally decided to get medication for my anxiety and was prescribed 10mg of Escitalopram per day. This is only the 3rd day of taking the stuff and boy, oh boy, are there people out there who seriously claim that SSRIs are little more than placebo? Holy shit, if I could bottle this feeling...

walshy
haermm

whatever works for you

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by walshy
haermm

whatever works for you

It bloody well works for me, maybe works a little too well... Anyway, I did not expect a very modest dose of an SSRI to do this to me.

jaden101
Someone already bottled the feeling. It's the one you're getting the pills from.

Tzeentch
Glad it's working out for you. There was a time when I felt like anti-depressants and anti-anxiety were for plebs, but after years of fighting unipolar depression with therapy and stuff I'm about an inch away from setting up an appointment with a psychiatrist myself.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by jaden101
Someone already bottled the feeling. It's the one you're getting the pills from.

The pills did not come from a bottle, but great point nonetheless.

Flyattractor
I would buy a bottle and put it in a pez dispenser.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Glad it's working out for you. There was a time when I felt like anti-depressants and anti-anxiety were for plebs, but after years of fighting unipolar depression with therapy and stuff I'm about an inch away from setting up an appointment with a psychiatrist myself.

Yeah, you should definitely get some of this stuff. If it works half as well as it does for me(so far, anyway), then it will definitely be worth it. And if it doesn't, try ECT.

Time-Immemorial
Sounds awesome

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Sounds awesome

It is, but maybe a bit too awesome. I hope the effects mellow out a bit or I'll be walking the streets at 3am tomorrow yowling like a cat in heat.

jaden101
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
It is, but maybe a bit too awesome. I hope the effects mellow out a bit or I'll be walking the streets at 3am tomorrow yowling like a cat in heat.

I get that way on speed.

Tzeentch
Ecstasy is pretty great. thumb up

ArtificialGlory
Ecstasy is pretty great. thumb up

Never took it, but from what I gather the stuff I am taking is basically a significantly weaker version of Ecstasy(messing with serotonin in your brain and all that). I can totally understand why people take drugs now.

|King Joker|
Ecstasy is pretty great. thumb up Better than LSD?

ArtificialGlory
Ok, the "trip" is over. Time to go to bed; got a mild headache.

Q99
So I finally decided to get medication for my anxiety and was prescribed 10mg of Escitalopram per day. This is only the 3rd day of taking the stuff and boy, oh boy, are there people out there who seriously claim that SSRIs are little more than placebo? Holy shit, if I could bottle this feeling...

Different people react differently. Sounds like you could cut the dosage in half and get the proper effect in your case.

Yea, talk to your doctor about it, see if they have advice.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Q99
Different people react differently. Sounds like you could cut the dosage in half and get the proper effect in your case.

Yea, talk to your doctor about it, see if they have advice.

I am not a small person and the doc said that 10mg(which is a modest dose to begin with) should be more or less the minimum for me.

If the effects don't mellow out, I'll be probably have to do that. Thanks for the advice.

Robtard
Bunch of pill popping plebs, the lot of you.

Quincy
Took E twice and hated it. Worked myself into a panic attack. No good with drugs

ArtificialGlory
Alright, I'm on day 5 and I haven't had an episode like that since day 3. I suppose the effects have indeed mellowed out. I'm relieved, but also slightly disappointed. I suppose I will stick with the current dose since it seems to be doing the trick; the anxiety is lessening day by day and my mood has improved significantly as a result.

|King Joker|
Alright, I'm on day 5 and I haven't had an episode like that since day 3. I suppose the effects have indeed mellowed out. I'm relieved, but also slightly disappointed. I suppose I will stick with the current dose since it seems to be doing the trick; the anxiety is lessening day by day and my mood has improved significantly as a result. That's great smile

Tzeentch
Let's meet up and party.

ArtificialGlory
Let's meet up and party.

Yeah, that's be nice, but I am a whole continent away.

walshy
Alright, I'm on day 5 and I haven't had an episode like that since day 3. I suppose the effects have indeed mellowed out. I'm relieved, but also slightly disappointed. I suppose I will stick with the current dose since it seems to be doing the trick; the anxiety is lessening day by day and my mood has improved significantly as a result. good to hearw00t glad its working for youOriginally posted by ArtificialGlory
Yeah, that's be nice, but I am a whole continent away. where are you? it was 3:32am for you when made the thread but for me it was 1:32 so just curious. not a creep.

Stoic
Well, hope you don't get some of the side effects associated with Nefazodone. One of them makes it painful to have intercourse. messed

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by walshy
good to hearw00t glad its working for you

where are you? it was 3:32am for you when made the thread but for me it was 1:32 so just curious. not a creep.

Thanks. I am not 100% yet, but I've only been taking the stuff for 5 days and it can take up to a month(sometimes more) to fully kick in.

I am from Lithuania.

Originally posted by Stoic
Well, hope you don't get some of the side effects associated with Nefazodone. One of them makes it painful to have intercourse. messed
I am not taking Nefazodone. Anyway, the only side effect I've noticed so far is somewhat dry mouth. The headache I got on day 3 may or may not have been a coincidence.

Stoic
Thanks. I am not 100% yet, but I've only been taking the stuff for 5 days and it can take up to a month(sometimes more) to fully kick in.

I am from Lithuania.

I am not taking Nefazodone. Anyway, the only side effect I've noticed so far is somewhat dry mouth. The headache I got on day 3 may or may not have been a coincidence.

You're exactly right, I was looking for side effects on Escitalopram, and Nefazodone popped up as similar search. I didn't realize what I was clicking on. I felt the need to find out what Escitalopram's possible effects could be on you. Not so much to dissuade you from using it. I was just concerned about your general health, and others that take/seek similar treatment. My goof, sorry. one eye

Stoic
Check it out though. These are the lesser side effects.

Less serious side effects may include:

drowsiness, dizziness;
sleep problems (insomnia);
mild nausea, gas, heartburn, upset stomach, constipation;
weight changes;
decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm; or.
dry mouth, yawning, ringing in your ears.

Seems like some of that stuff kind of sucks man.

ArtificialGlory
You're exactly right, I was looking for side effects on Escitalopram, and Nefazodone popped up as similar search. I didn't realize what I was clicking on. I felt the need to find out what Escitalopram's possible effects could be on you. Not so much to dissuade you from using it. I was just concerned about your general health, and others that take/seek similar treatment. My goof, sorry. one eye

Easy mistake to make seeing how both drugs are SSRIs. It's a good thing that Escitalopram is probably the least side-effect prone SSRI on the market. I definitely appreciate your concern though, and I have heard quite a few side-effect horror stories myself.

ArtificialGlory
Check it out though. These are the lesser side effects.

Less serious side effects may include:

drowsiness, dizziness;
sleep problems (insomnia);
mild nausea, gas, heartburn, upset stomach, constipation;
weight changes;
decreased sex drive, impotence, or difficulty having an orgasm; or.
dry mouth, yawning, ringing in your ears.

Seems like some of that stuff kind of sucks man.

Yeah, some of the side-effects sound scary, but if you really read into the side-effects of various pharmaceuticals, you'll find out that an aspirin can kill you. So far the only side-effect I am suffering from is a somewhat dry mouth and maybe slight drowsiness. Best not to think about this stuff too much, it's bad for my anxiety.

Stoic
I know that Advil can kill you. my grandmom was bleeding internally from using it. Thiis was just about a month ago. So yeah even OTC meds have harmful side effects. But yeah dropping it. just had to leave this with you though, I noted the word Constipation as one of the lesser side effects, and wonder if there are any opiates contained within that stuff?

ArtificialGlory
I know that Advil can kill you. my grandmom was bleeding internally from using it. Thiis was just about a month ago. So yeah even OTC meds have harmful side effects. But yeah dropping it. just had to leave this with you though, I noted the word Constipation as one of the lesser side effects, and wonder if there are any opiates contained within that stuff?

Not having any problems with constipation so far. No, I am 99% sure there are no opiates in Escitalopram.

ArtificialGlory
Oh, and you can feel free to discuss side-effects. It doesn't bother me that much.

jinXed by JaNx
Alright, I'm on day 5 and I haven't had an episode like that since day 3. I suppose the effects have indeed mellowed out. I'm relieved, but also slightly disappointed. I suppose I will stick with the current dose since it seems to be doing the trick; the anxiety is lessening day by day and my mood has improved significantly as a result.

Thats great to hear and i'm happy for you. I know first hand what it's like to deal with severe anxiety. Just make sure you don't allow yourself to be tempted to increase your dosage in hopes of replicating the earlier sensations. It sounds as though you've already developed a healthy tolerance. In my experience, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications either have no affect or the intended affect wanes quickly after the body has built a tolerance. So, what ever is working for you, i wish you the best..,keep it up because it sounds like you've discovered some freedom from your issues.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Thats great to hear and i'm happy for you. I know first hand what it's like to deal with severe anxiety. Just make sure you don't allow yourself to be tempted to increase your dosage in hopes of replicating the earlier sensations. It sounds as though you've already developed a healthy tolerance. In my experience, anti-depressants and anti-anxiety medications either have no affect or the intended affect wanes quickly after the body has built a tolerance. So, what ever is working for you, i wish you the best..,keep it up because it sounds like you've discovered some freedom from your issues.

It's good to hear from a fellow sufferer. Don't worry, I will not increase the dosage without first talking to my doctor. I really don't know what happened that one time, but it only happened once on day 3 and that was the day when I realized the meds were working, come to think of it.

I don't know about tolerance. I've heard of people who take these meds for years without really developing any kind of tolerance.

Surtur
My friend in high school for some reason was prescribed anti anxiety meds for his depression instead of anti-depression meds. I remember he offered me one and I took it and I was literally feeling the effects for a few days straight and was going around in sort of a stupor in school. I remember being in English class and being called on by the teacher to answer a question and just stuttering my answer out. It was a negative experience and I started to feel shitty towards the end and because I was eating peanut butter cookies at the time when the shitty-ness began to set in..I have not been able to eat peanut butter cookies since. Keep in mind I was 17 when this happened and I am 29 now and still can't eat a peanut butter cookie.

But I do take pain medication and nerve medication. Oh and how can I forget about my blood pressure medication. Those are just what I have to take daily. I have various other prescriptions including stuff to help nausea and sleep aids.

Also the effects of the drug you are on mellowed out because your body developed a tolerance to it. You'd either have to increase your dosage in order to feel similar effects again or stop taking the medication for 4-5 days to let your tolerance drop back down. Some medicines can build up a tolerance extraordinarily quickly, even after just one dose. This is in part why a lot of people OD on drugs. They stop using a drug, but then relapse and go back to using..but they begin to use at the same level they were at before they stopped, usually not taking into an account their bodies can no longer handle dosages that would of at one time not been harmful to them.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Surtur
My friend in high school for some reason was prescribed anti anxiety meds for his depression instead of anti-depression meds. I remember he offered me one and I took it and I was literally feeling the effects for a few days straight and was going around in sort of a stupor in school. I remember being in English class and being called on by the teacher to answer a question and just stuttering my answer out. It was a negative experience and I started to feel shitty towards the end and because I was eating peanut butter cookies at the time when the shitty-ness began to set in..I have not been able to eat peanut butter cookies since. Keep in mind I was 17 when this happened and I am 29 now and still can't eat a peanut butter cookie.

But I do take pain medication and nerve medication. Oh and how can I forget about my blood pressure medication. Those are just what I have to take daily. I have various other prescriptions including stuff to help nausea and sleep aids.

Also the effects of the drug you are on mellowed out because your body developed a tolerance to it. You'd either have to increase your dosage in order to feel similar effects again or stop taking the medication for 4-5 days to let your tolerance drop back down. Some medicines can build up a tolerance extraordinarily quickly, even after just one dose. This is in part why a lot of people OD on drugs. They stop using a drug, but then relapse and go back to using..but they begin to use at the same level they were at before they stopped, usually not taking into an account their bodies can no longer handle dosages that would of at one time not been harmful to them.

Hmm, by the way you describe your experience, I think your friend was prescribed some kind of a powerful benzo. This is not what I'm taking. I am taking an SSRI which is a long-acting drug used to treat both depression and anxiety. The stuff isn't even supposed to kick in until you've taken it for weeks, sometimes longer. This is why I was so surprised at what happened that day. I wouldn't have been surprised at all if it was Xanax that did it to me.

ArtificialGlory
Well, it's been a month(31 days) since I've started taking the drug and I can definitely say that I've seen a very significant improvement in my symptoms. Apparently it can take up to 2 months for the medicine to fully kick in so I suppose it will get even better.

I haven't noticed any real side-effects and I haven't had another high like I did on my 3rd day. It seems it was a one-off thing.

Bardock42
Woah, this was only a month ago....time does not fly...

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Bardock42
Woah, this was only a month ago....time does not fly...

You can say that again. It feels like it was only yesterday I made this thread.

Bardock42
That's the opposite of what I'm saying

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Bardock42
That's the opposite of what I'm saying

Whao, maybe this stuff had a bigger impact on me than I thought.

Tzeentch
Not at all, Bardock's just fat. Time flows differently for him.

Bardock42
Excuse me, I have a BMI of 15!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.