Obi-Wan (Phantom Menace) vs. Luke (The Empire Strikes Back)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

StiltmanFTW
Discuss.

quanchi112
Kenobi; decisively.

relentless1
Obi Wan easy, Luke is a shitty duelist in ESB meanwhile Kenobi bisected Maul

DTM
I dont know, Luke surprised Vader himself with how capable he was. Id probably side with Kenobi in the end, while Luke has the Skywalker bloodline boost, Kenobi does have years more training than Luke, but it wouldnt be easy for him. Good match up.

Surtur
Why wouldn't it be easy? Luke got his hand chopped off by a slowing moving cyborg. The thing that surprised Vader was essentially Luke doing a super jump, which is shit Obi Wan was easily doing.

You can probably blame it on a combination of being a big bulky cyborg and the special effects of the time period, but Vader has none of the fighting skill Anakin showed.

Even in Return of the Jedi..notice that Luke never really starts beating Vader until he for some reason *gets down on one knee* and just lets Luke slash the shit out of him? I've always thought Vader just gave up trying to win and had decided to just let his son kill him. If you watch the fight it makes no sense, it's not like Vader gets knocked to the ground and then is only able to get up onto one knee. He quite willingly takes a knee like he was a damn kid in little league listening to a pep talk from his coach.

DTM
Dismissing Darth Vader, one of the most powerful Force users in the history of Star Wars, as simply a slow moving cyborg is short-changing him HEAPS! But Im not going to get into a Vader Props discussion here, you see him ALOT differently than I do, and Ill leave it at that.

relentless1
going by movie feats theres a whole heap of examples of Vader moving slowly, and I don't mean shuffling like Frankenstein either cause the guy walks pretty fast but when it comes to battle he's pretty damn slow. Go and watch Jedi and Empire again and tell me the guy doesnt look like he's chopping wood in slow mo. I get it, Vader is a badass in the EU but that stuff doesn't even matter when it comes to what has been shown of him in film

Surtur
Originally posted by DTM
Dismissing Darth Vader, one of the most powerful Force users in the history of Star Wars, as simply a slow moving cyborg is short-changing him HEAPS! But Im not going to get into a Vader Props discussion here, you see him ALOT differently than I do, and Ill leave it at that.

I don't think I'm short changing him. Why? Because at the time Luke got his hand chopped off Vader was not doing anything except fighting him purely with a lightsaber. Vader did not move quickly, are you saying he did?

Vader was very powerful with the force, and when he was using it to throw shit at Luke..Luke couldn't really do anything to stop him. But when Luke got defeated Vader wasn't using his force powers, just his lightsaber.

The Vader Luke fought did not move like the pre suit Vader Obi Wan would fight in Ep 3. I'm sure if made today he would not of been that slow, but it's all we have to go on.

Not to mention Luke would of been dead during that encounter if Vader truly wanted to kill him, but he knew Luke was his kid, so I don't even think we saw Vader going all out against Luke. Even in Ep.6 Vader just sort of gives up and goes down to one knee like I mentioned before.

quanchi112
Originally posted by DTM
Dismissing Darth Vader, one of the most powerful Force users in the history of Star Wars, as simply a slow moving cyborg is short-changing him HEAPS! But Im not going to get into a Vader Props discussion here, you see him ALOT differently than I do, and Ill leave it at that. He is objectively slow. No denying it.

Juk3n
Obi has always been VERY susceptible to force maneuvers. But Luke demonstrated very little combat force use, so based on sabre skill alone i'd have to side with the 'Nobi. Knobes also demonstrated superior agility, force burst speed, better reflexes and technique. Luke has vastly better will power, but as of ESB, he's still weak as fuuuuuuuuuuhhhhhhhhkk

relentless1
come to think of it, Luke didn't display and Force combat abilities at all, he'd get lmfaostomped by Kenobi even if you put ROTJ Luke in there

Jmanghan
Vader stated that Luke as of ESB was the strongest opponent he'd ever faced.

Yes, stronger then Kenobi.

quanchi112
Originally posted by relentless1
come to think of it, Luke didn't display and Force combat abilities at all, he'd get lmfaostomped by Kenobi even if you put ROTJ Luke in there Rotj Luke is a far different story than esb.

StiltmanFTW
Originally posted by relentless1
come to think of it, Luke didn't display and Force combat abilities at all, he'd get lmfaostomped by Kenobi even if you put ROTJ Luke in there

Force grip.

Originally posted by quanchi112
Rotj Luke is a far different story than esb.

thumb up

relentless1
Originally posted by StiltmanFTW
Force grip.

thumb up

he didn't do it in a combat scenario though, just casually to those two pigs at jabbas palace

Star428
LOL. Luke was not "weak" by any means during ESB. He just wasn't as skilled as Obi-Wan was at his peak.

Time-Immemorial
Khan wins

/thread

Darth Thor
Kenobi batters him.

Vader was just messing around with Luke in ESB.

TheGrat1
Obi-Wan. Luke got owned by Vader throwing boxes at him. Kenobi would laugh that shit off.

BruceSkywalker
the force won;t be strong in Luke until ep.7 big grin

quanchi112
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Kenobi batters him.

Vader was just messing around with Luke in ESB. False.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.