The case of Sandra Bland

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
Just curious what people thought of this case? She was a woman who was arrested on a Friday after an altercation with an officer during a routine traffic stop. By the time Monday rolled around she was dead, apparently having killed herself.

Almost immediately people jumped on it and were claiming the cops must of killed her. However, the autopsy recently came out and showed she had no defensive wounds or anything that might overtly suggest foul play. An inmate held in a cell very near hers has said they heard no screaming or commotion before she was found dead, again suggesting no foul play was involved.

There are still a few loose ends, like where did she get the garbage bag she hung herself with? But they still ruled it as a suicide.

The family disagree's with the ruling and says she would never of killed herself because she was about to start a new job. Though some have wondered if the fear of losing that new job due to her arrest caused her to do this.

More info:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/22/us/sandra-bland/

So do you guys think this was a suicide or do you think foul play was somehow involved?

Time-Immemorial
She killed herself. Nothing more to say really, she even admitted to police she had tried before.

Surtur
I realize that, but a lot of people seem to think she did not kill herself.

On a different note: do you feel the cop was out of line for arresting her? Do you feel she should of been put on suicide watch? Since some people changed their tune from "the cops killed her" to "the cops should of paid more attention".

It was a strange case because she admitted to being suicidal in the past, but also said she wasn't currently suicidal. Yet it was also reported she was crying and stuff while in jail.

Time-Immemorial
I really don't know. Usually when you are put in jail they take anything from you that would be able to harm yourself or anyone else.

Bardock42
She was arrested on bogus bullshit, and wasn't granted her constitutional rights, that's the first issue with the whole thing, it further illustrates how advice of how to deal with cops does not work the same for black people, because they are targeted differently.

Whether she killed herself or there was further foul play needs to be investigated further, but just for the unjustified arrest the police officer and possibly the whole department should receive punishment.

Bashar Teg
she was arrested for resisting arrest. if you support that then you piss on the bill of rights and support a police-state. /fact

Surtur
I disagree on how advice on how to deal with cops does not work for black people. This woman did not listen to the cops, she refused to put out a cigarette when asked and refused to get out of her vehicle when asked.

Now you can argue whether or not she LEGALLY had to do those things, but to say the things that people say you should do when you are confronted by a cop don't work are wrong in this case because everyone tells you to pretty much shut up and listen to the police officer.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
she was arrested for resisting arrest. if you support that then you piss on the bill of rights and support a police-state. /fact

Bardock is a foreigner who supports anarchy in America because he does not like America.

Surtur
Also..not that this makes it right, but this was not her first encounter with police officers. By that I mean she had committed crimes in the past.

Bashar Teg
a police officer does not have the right to arrest you for not obeying their arbitrary whim after being let off for whatever citation you were stopped for. you couldnt be more wrong.

Surtur
One thing that bugs me is I've seen a lot of people claiming she never would of been pulled over in the first place if she wasn't black. Whether you think the cops were right or wrong that is a silly thing to say.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Surtur
One thing that bugs me is I've seen a lot of people claiming she never would of been pulled over in the first place if she wasn't black. Whether you think the cops were right or wrong that is a silly thing to say.

Why? Black people get pulled over considerably more than white people.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bardock42

...but that isn't what is being said. What is being said is that no white person would of been pulled over for doing the traffic violations the black woman did.

Which I already know is utterly false since I am white and have been pulled over for the same exact things she was. One time I was let off with a warning(because I was courteous) and the second time I was ticketed. If people want to claim blacks get pulled over more fine, but when they say "cops don't pull over white people for this" I have a problem.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42

How would you know?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
How would you know?

Statistics

Time-Immemorial
Your an anarchist, so why would you care?

Bardock42
You think I'm both a big-government liberal and an anarchist.

Bashar Teg
if you deny the point that a black person has far more of a chance of being stopped for the most minor infractions (or nothing at all, which the NYPD made official), then i guess you're just not in the mood to be reasonable today.

tru-marvell
1) The cop initiated the stop by quickly driving up behind her...as she clearly states on video...she moved over to allow him to pass as anyone would do...she didn't signal because NO ONE signals before moving out of the way of a speeding police car-you just get out of the way

2) The cop has NO business asking her to put out her cigarette...it's funny how some say that we are turning into a police state but then say that "they" need to do whatever the cop tells "them" to do.

3) He places her under arrest for "resisting arrest"... that makes absolutely no since. Especially considering the initial report was that she "assaulted" the cop which is a blatant LIE. It's clear that he enjoys his "power" and looses control when that authority is challenged.

4)Why would he take her out of camera range?

Did she kill herself? It's impossible for me to speculate...but it is very clear that the cop was wrong from the very beginning-from the bogus initial stop to escalating rather than deescalating the situation.

And I dare anyone to state that he/she would be all smiles and giggles if/when a cop improperly confronts you. I am one of the most carefree-laid back people you would ever meet and I will tell you from personal experience that you will loose your cool when a cop tries to step on you.

And the bullshit about her having had been in trouble with the law before is just a smoke screen. Most of the adults today would be locked away if we are using that bullshit argument, so please just stop with that.

Omega Vision
Bardock is a foreigner who supports anarchy in America because he does not like America.
He supports analarchy in America.

riv6672
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
Haha, no.

Bardock42
Originally posted by riv6672
Haha, no.

I agree with riv, some of the people that support it are just racist. But those are the only two options.

riv6672
Haha, no.

Bardock42
But I said I agree with you, so you are directly disagreeing with yourself, make up your mind, man!

riv6672
Haha, okay.

Bashar Teg
Haha, no.
Haha, no.
Haha, okay.

that's nice dear.

riv6672
You can call me what you want, i 'll call what you are: wrong.

Bashar Teg
not interested in your substance-free antagonistic posturing spam. *ignored*

riv6672
Thats nice dear.

Time-Immemorial
Of coarse this guy never gets wanted for shit posting.

Robtard
So she apparently said she was suicidal while being processed and the police let her get into her cell with a plastic bag large/strong enough to support a grown woman's weight, when they typically take away your belt and shoelaces to prevent suicides?

Yeah, sounds reasonable.

riv6672
Originally posted by Robtard
So she apparently said she was suicidal while being processed and the police let her get into her cell with a plastic bag large/strong enough to support a grown woman's weight, when they typically take away your belt and shoelaces to prevent suicides?
Did they?

Knife
Did they?

Yes and clearly. The death of ethnic minorities in western countries, particularly Blacks shouldn't shock us anymore intellectually....... and perhaps it doesn't but as fellow humans they still make anyone right thinking disgusted on all levels.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Knife
Yes and clearly. The death of ethnic minorities in western countries, particularly Blacks shouldn't shock us anymore intellectually....... and perhaps it doesn't but as fellow humans they still make anyone right thinking disgusted on all levels.

Its no use to respond to him, you made his troll "ignore list" on his profile.

Knife
Its no use to respond to him, you made his troll "ignore list" on his profile.

I've hardly spoken to the guy, that's a weird thing to have. I see you're on it too. Weird behaviour. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I won't reply to him anymore.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Knife
I've hardly spoken to the guy, that's a weird thing to have. I see you're on it too. Weird behaviour. Anyway, thanks for the heads up, I won't reply to him anymore.

I said Sentry/gladiator was a Superman Rip off, and he went ballistic, I called him out, and he put me on there. Ironic coming from him who has a bunch of Superman fanboy stuff in his profile.

Here so you can see.
http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f48/t604450.html

You can't reason with a troll.

Q99
A little story from social media:

A mural of Sandra Bland was put up

Within 24 hours it was defaced by writing 'All Lives Matter' on top of it (note, it originally had no text, so... yeeea), and within a few hours it was fixed again.

riv6672
Thats both sad and or funny (depending on where you fall on the topic) for many reasons.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Q99

Within 24 hours it was defaced by writing 'All Lives Matter' on top of it (note, it originally had no text, so... yeeea), and within a few hours it was fixed again.

Oh well, all lives do matter, now what?

Surtur
Originally posted by tru-marvell
1) The cop initiated the stop by quickly driving up behind her...as she clearly states on video...she moved over to allow him to pass as anyone would do...she didn't signal because NO ONE signals before moving out of the way of a speeding police car-you just get out of the way

2) The cop has NO business asking her to put out her cigarette...it's funny how some say that we are turning into a police state but then say that "they" need to do whatever the cop tells "them" to do.

3) He places her under arrest for "resisting arrest"... that makes absolutely no since. Especially considering the initial report was that she "assaulted" the cop which is a blatant LIE. It's clear that he enjoys his "power" and looses control when that authority is challenged.

4)Why would he take her out of camera range?

Did she kill herself? It's impossible for me to speculate...but it is very clear that the cop was wrong from the very beginning-from the bogus initial stop to escalating rather than deescalating the situation.

And I dare anyone to state that he/she would be all smiles and giggles if/when a cop improperly confronts you. I am one of the most carefree-laid back people you would ever meet and I will tell you from personal experience that you will loose your cool when a cop tries to step on you.

And the bullshit about her having had been in trouble with the law before is just a smoke screen. Most of the adults today would be locked away if we are using that bullshit argument, so please just stop with that.

This is all well and good, but what was being said was that the things that people are told to do in order to avoid getting messed over by cops do not work for black people. I pointed out in this case she did NOT behave in a way that is suggested.

Also doesn't a cop have to take a person out of the range of the dash cam in order to actually put them in the car? Am I just not getting how a dash cam works? Can it see front and back?

Surtur
Originally posted by Q99

Well when Michael Brown's memorial was set on fire people looted, but it doesn't look like that happened here so a step in the right direction.

riv6672
Yeah...thats progress.

Surtur
Yeah...I felt a bit depressed too about the fact it's come to the point we need to be glad people did not resort to public destruction as a way of dealing with issues.

riv6672
We're a destructive species.

Stoic
What I can't figure out is how she killed herself? Everyone in that police station should be arrested and charged with her murder, because from what I know, when a person is arrested they take any and everything away from a person that could be used to harm them, or anyone else 9shoe laces, belts, combs, etc.) Something isn't right with this case. On top of everything, why was she even arrested?

Why was she thrown to the ground face first? Why did the officer make sure that no one was able to see what he was doing when he began to make the arrest? IMO the police really have to be careful, because if the general public starts to believe that the police are no longer out to protect and serve them, we could have riots in several states all at once, and they could be even worse than the ones that happened in Ferguson.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.