Claims of virgin births in the US near 1%

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Knife
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/12/17/us-usa-health-virgins-idUSBRE9BG1F020131217

Nearly 1 percent of young women in a U.S. study who have become pregnant claim to have done so as virgins, according to a report in the Christmas edition of Britain's BMJ medical journal.

The authors of "Like a virgin (mother)" - whose prose is devoid of irony - say such scientifically impossible claims show researchers must use care in interpreting self-reported behavior. Fallible memory, beliefs and wishes can cause people to err in what they tell scientists.

Bashar Teg
mary claimed that way before it got trendy.

Genesis-Soldier
i have seen girls claim this exact thing but they said

i cant be pregnant we had sex upright

Q99
There's two explanations, one on the dark side, one fairly hilarious.

First, date rape/sex while asleep. Not good erm

Second, people with reeeeally wonky definitions of 'virgin'! Ones like Genesis-Soldier mentioned. Says a lot about the poor state of sex education, it does!

Ushgarak
I'd probably want some context with this one- first, I'd want to know what the rate was in other western nations (though I doubt they have done the research).

Secondly, I'd then want to know the rate of pregnancies caused without serious intercourse- getting pregnant via semen contact without intercourse is, after all, something medical professionals warn about. I imagine it's a low rate but maybe high enough to give context to a 1% virgin claim figure.

Surtur
I just like the fact there are scientists out there willing to listen to people babble on about how they are totally virgins and yet pregnant.

What do these people say happened, then? Let me guess, God did it?

Trocity
Originally posted by Q99

Second, people with reeeeally wonky definitions of 'virgin'! Ones like Genesis-Soldier mentioned. Says a lot about the poor state of sex education, it does!

In the case of young girls, I was thinking more like "mom and dad are super religious nuts, does not want to admit she had sex, makes up hilarious lie."

Digi
Originally posted by Q99

Yeah, the 3rd option is lying, and I'd say it's by far the most likely. Lots of reasons they wouldn't want to divulge anything; many irrational, granted, but still.

Q99
Oh yea, that too.

Surtur
Originally posted by Genesis-Soldier
i have seen girls claim this exact thing but they said

i cant be pregnant we had sex upright

So did you report whoever did it with that girl for having sex with a mentally challenged person?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.