F-35

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/air-space/strike/2015/07/27/marine-ioc-f35-soon-paperwork-dunford/30751515/

Really exited about this. The most advanced plane in the world will be operational soon.

Surtur
What do we plan to do with these advanced planes?

Time-Immemorial
Use them on Iran when they don't up hold the deal.

Surtur
We can't, remember their leader said they'd totally beat us. Might as well be paper airplanes.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Surtur
We can't, remember their leader said they'd totally beat us. Might as well be paper airplanes.

Lol

Bardock42
I read a somewhat negative article about the F35, but there was lots of debate in the comments pro and con, and I have literally no idea about this, so I don't know what to think. But I'll link it anyways.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2015/07/disastrous-f-35-vs-f-16-face-off-was-also-a-battle-of-philosophies/

Time-Immemorial
That is only the first generation that has not even been released yet, like all jets cars and anything else they make vast improvements quickly.

Bardock42
Sounds good. I'm more interested in them (the US) making a new space travelling vessel...

Shakyamunison
Is this the plane where the pilot can see 360 degrees because of cameras all over the aircraft?

Omega Vision
The F-35 is the most divisive plane in recent history. My hometown, being next door to Eglin AFB, is ground zero for F-35 testing and despite a rabidly pro-military population the base has had huge problems using the F-35 because of how loud their engines are over residential areas. That's just the smallest problem. The big problem are its enormous costs, which may end up scaring off lots of the partner nations who are currently contributing to the program/planning to buy them.

Personally, I think the F-35 will be a great plane once it's gotten past all its developmental issues, but the near future will continue to be agonizing for the air force.

The crazy thing is that the F-35 was supposed to be a cheaper, less complicated alternative to the F-22 for export to allies, but it ended up being anything but.

I will say that it's strange how our air force is ready to spend huge amounts of money on new planes when we still have a fleet of top of the line aircraft, whereas when it comes to infantry weapons and land vehicles we're the most conservative of all the major militaries.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bardock42
Sounds good. I'm more interested in them (the US) making a new space travelling vessel...
Yeah, I think it's crazy that we retired the space shuttle without having a replacement ready or even under serious development. At the moment, if something happened on the ISS and Russia decided they didn't want to help us, we'd be in a pretty bad position.

Time-Immemorial
You should see the new infantry land vehicles we have. They are basically are bomb proof. Although it took longer then most to come sound. When I was over there I was rolling around in hummerslaughing out loud

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Yeah, I think it's crazy that we retired the space shuttle without having a replacement ready or even under serious development. At the moment, if something happened on the ISS and Russia decided they didn't want to help us, we'd be in a pretty bad position.

Hate to say it, Obama dropped the ball on that one.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Hate to say it

lol...you're funny

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
You should see the new infantry land vehicles we have. They are basically are bomb proof. Although it took longer then most to come sound. When I was over there I was rolling around in hummerslaughing out loud
I did forget about the MRAPs, every major country in the world is scrambling to either buy them from us or develop their own.

Did your hummer have what they call "Hajji armor?"

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.