Kentucky man arrested for shooting down drone

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
With drones now being more and more available to ordinary people(though still expensive) this is an interesting story:

http://fortune.com/2015/07/29/shoot-drone-privacy/

Did this man have the right to do what he did, or did he go too far? I feel like I might of done the same thing if I owned a gun and saw a drone creeping around like that.

Shakyamunison
Shooting down a drone with a gun was over the top. However, a wrist-rocket (as long as there are no laws against it) would have been a better solution.

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
Did this man have the right to do what he did, or did he go too far? I feel like I might of done the same thing if I owned a gun and saw a drone creeping around like that.
Without knowing the person, i cant say any more than he had the RIGHT to self defense (everyone does), if he actually felt threatened.
Did he though, i cant say.
Even if he did, accidents happen all the time, even to trained professionals, where the perceived threat, isnt.

Surtur
To be specific, the drone was creeping around and one of his daughters was outside and he thought the drone was taking photo's or something. Or rather, the daughter thought so because she alerted him to it.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by riv6672
Without knowing the person, i cant say any more than he had the RIGHT to self defense (everyone does), if he actually felt threatened.
Did he though, i cant say.
Even if he did, accidents happen all the time, even to trained professionals, where the perceived threat, isnt.
I think "feeling threatened" should be held up to a reasonable person standard, otherwise we could have murders with ridiculous justifications. *cough cough*

No reasonable person would feel threatened by a civilian drone.

riv6672
I agree with you on reason.
But, not being there, i cant just say he wasnt being reasonable. Probably not, but you never know.
His kid was involved so maybe he thought some pedo had gone high tech.

Surtur
I can see grabbing a shotgun being an overreaction, but this story caught my attention because now that people can buy this...well, where are the lines drawn?

I could definitely see someone being creepy enough to use a drone in a pedo-type way. Although looking at 16 yr. olds doesnt make you exactly a pedo, but still. Imagine some dude who s banned from being near schools and parks. Could he creep around with a drone he bought and view the kids?

Since I myself already know of at least civilian with a drone. They do not use it for this purpose, but I'm trying to think about what exactly would stop him. Not that I think he specifically would.

This takes the art of the peeping Tom up several levels.

riv6672
Hebephilia, then.
But yeah, the problem with this tech isnt unique. People are going to abuse it if it can be abused.

Surtur
Not to mention I just wonder..if a drone somehow malfunctions and falls out the skiy..it's probably going to kill anyone it hits, right?

I just bring this up because I was watching some show where it shows funny clips and one was of a couple who had a wedding outside in some grassy area and had the idea to have the drone like sweeping over them taking pictures from above...and it did..and then for some reason it decided to swoop down and it rammed right into the bride and grooms faces. They were not hurt very badly obviously because it did not pick up a lot of speed when it hit them..but it just made me wonder about the danger.

Flyattractor
If it was over his property and it had a camera on it I should say you have the right to shoot the thing out of the sky. I will side on the privacy issues.

riv6672
Man, Fly, i could see lawyers arguing this in court. How far up (and down for that matter) does your property extend?

Flyattractor
We should be allowed to shoot both drones and lawyers.

Its the only way to make the world a better place.

Robtard
I agree with the hillbilly, if the drone was over his property and the situation happened as noted, he did nothing wrong imo, barring there being a law from firing off a gun in your own property in his state.

On a side note, these drones becoming cheaper and cheaper must be great news to pedos like the former member 'Alpha Centauri'.

riv6672
Never heard of him.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
I can see grabbing a shotgun being an overreaction, but this story caught my attention because now that people can buy this...well, where are the lines drawn?

I could definitely see someone being creepy enough to use a drone in a pedo-type way. Although looking at 16 yr. olds doesnt make you exactly a pedo, but still. Imagine some dude who s banned from being near schools and parks. Could he creep around with a drone he bought and view the kids?

Since I myself already know of at least civilian with a drone. They do not use it for this purpose, but I'm trying to think about what exactly would stop him. Not that I think he specifically would.

This takes the art of the peeping Tom up several levels. Originally posted by riv6672
Hebephilia, then.
But yeah, the problem with this tech isnt unique. People are going to abuse it if it can be abused.
I'm thinking of the Silicon Valley quote now about how pedophiles aren't "early adopters"

Jmanghan
Originally posted by riv6672
Hebephilia, then.
But yeah, the problem with this tech isnt unique. People are going to abuse it if it can be abused. Teens look practically identical to their adult counterparts.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Robtard
I agree with the hillbilly, if the drone was over his property and the situation happened as noted, he did nothing wrong imo, barring there being a law from firing off a gun in your own property in his state.

On a side note, these drones becoming cheaper and cheaper must be great news to pedos like the former member 'Alpha Centauri'. Did Alpha Centauri ever actually pursue a girl younger then 13?

Surtur
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I'm thinking of the Silicon Valley quote now about how pedophiles aren't "early adopters"

This just means that by the time they do adopt it the drones will probably be more sophisticated and less expensive.

riv6672
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Teens look practically identical to their adult counterparts.
Hey, i didnt make up the word. wink

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.