You mess with the (former) Bull, you get the horns

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Or in this case, the legal action. To the tune of 8.9 million dollars.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/13486052/supermarket-chain-pay-michael-jordan-89-million-use-name

Guess you cant get away with everything.

Surtur
This was stupid for everyone involved though. First off come on..Jordan doesn't need the extra cash. He just opened up a Michael Jordan store here in Chicago. But maybe you could say it is more about the principle of the thing, which is fair. However, Dominicks is a defunct chain of grocery stores(hell I used to go to them a lot when I was younger). So where does he expect they will get this cash? He wants nearly 10 million.

Thing is though, MJ is actually kind of a dick in real life. I used to run in some circles with people that knew his family. Specifically the sister of his wife(or ex wife? I don't know if he is still married) and also knew people that went to the same school as his son.

riv6672
I sort of see your point but, him maybe being a dick shouldnt make it right to use his name without permission.

Time-Immemorial
MJ was the biggest dick of them all, but he was the best.

Surtur
That is true it is not right. On the other hand there are some people here who feel Chicago did a lot for Jordan(and vice versa) and feel like this is going too far. He has several stakes in various businesses downtown besides his own new store(such as planet Hollywood I believe) etc. so I don't know if this is a good strategy even business wise. Then again, besides the store with his name on it most people won't know which places has owns anything in.

I just wonder how Dominicks is ever going to be able to pay this. Even before they went defunct they were on a huge decline.

Time-Immemorial
Remember that story that he supposedly died?

Surtur
Yeah that was weird. I did get to see MJ in action once in the summer of 1998 for one of those playoff games. Unless people have lived here it is hard to describe the buzz that was in the air for all those years the Bulls consecutively won the championship. Especially the summer of 98. People described it like feeling like it did with the 85 Bears.

Time-Immemorial
I was bulls fan when I was a kid, I suspect we are about the same age, my dad's side is from Chicago so I spent a lot of time up there. I was just up there, twice in the past month, I should have hit you up for a drink.

riv6672
Originally posted by Surtur
That is true it is not right. On the other hand there are some people here who feel Chicago did a lot for Jordan(and vice versa) and feel like this is going too far. He has several stakes in various businesses downtown besides his own new store(such as planet Hollywood I believe) etc. so I don't know if this is a good strategy even business wise. Then again, besides the store with his name on it most people won't know which places has owns anything in.

I just wonder how Dominicks is ever going to be able to pay this. Even before they went defunct they were on a huge decline.
That sucks for them.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.