Confused Countries Questions

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nuke Nixon
OK, I know there are countries called Denmark, Holland, and The Netherlands...

Which ones peoples are called Dutch?

Are those same people also called Danes or is that different?

Which one of them was it that colonized England back in the before time?

Bardock42
Holland is another name for The Netherlands (it's actually name of a region of The Netherlands that gets often used for the whole country). People that live in The Netherlands/Holland are called Dutch, and they also often speak Dutch (there's also other languages in The Netherlands, but Dutch is the main one).

Danes is the name for people from Denmark (a country unrelated to The Netherlands). They speak Danish, and sometimes eat Danishs, but they don't call it that, I believe.

I am not aware of either of these countries being colonised by England. But conversely William the Conquerer (a Norman which would today be considered France) conquered England in 1066, perhaps that is what you are referring to.

Nuke Nixon
This is what I get for sleeping in Geography. I thought the Danish Vikings were the ones that hit England and rape-pillaged-slaughtered their way to making that country what it is today, so it was the French... how sad.

Slay
Originally posted by Nuke Nixon
This is what I get for sleeping in Geography. I thought the Danish Vikings were the ones that hit England and rape-pillaged-slaughtered their way to making that country what it is today, so it was the French... how sad.
It were the Saxons before that, who were sort of like vikings. And the French that conquered England were the Normans (from Normandy, a region that still exists today) who were said to be descended from the Normans of Scandinavia. (aka, Vikings)

Also, a Dutch prince (of some sorts) ascended the throne of England by way of marriage sometime in the late 1600's/early 1700's, I believe.

Slay
Also, as a Dutch person, I've been mistaken for a Dane or being from Copenhagen a lot by Americans. You guys need to sort that out.

Best one was somebody asking if being Dutch meant I was from Pennsylvania, though. awehuhs

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Slay
Also, as a Dutch person, I've been mistaken for a Dane or being from Copenhagen a lot by Americans. You guys need to sort that out.

Best one was somebody asking if being Dutch meant I was from Pennsylvania, though. awehuhs Well, there's a specific type of dutch specifically made for people from Pennsylvania, I'm part Pennsylvania Dutch myself, however that does sound kind moronic.

Slay
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Well, there's a specific type of dutch specifically made for people from Pennsylvania, I'm part Pennsylvania Dutch myself, however that does sound kind moronic.
Yeah, I know, but to add to the confusion, the Pennsylvania Dutch are actually descended from Germans.

I think you'll find most Dutch influences on America in the New York area. Then I know there were a lot of Dutch settlers in Michigan around the Grand Rapids area. And there's a Dutch town in Iowa, named Pella, which is also the place of birth of Wyatt Earp, who, for as far as I know, has no Dutch heritage. awehuhs

Slay
Also, Mennonites, are the followers of a Frisian (Northwestern Dutch) religious reformer named Menno Simons.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.