Interesting social experiment, but way too complex...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
...at least for my old man self.
I just take people on a case by case basis.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3214567/University-Tennessee-tells-staff-students-stop-using-switch-xe-zir-xyr-instead.html?ito=social-twitter_dailymailus

Henry_Pym
Bah gawd.

My pronoun of choice is master or lord.

Surtur
Is it possible to punch an entire university in the face all at once?

Flyattractor
This is when I would be yelling out loud "AM I REALLY PAYING THESE ASSHATS TO TEACH ME?"

riv6672
^^^laughing

Originally posted by Surtur
Is it possible to punch an entire university in the face all at once?
No. I tried last month. sad

Stoic
Phuck em.

riv6672
Them or Xem?

ArtificialGlory
Tools. Do they really think imitating Tumblr IRL is a good idea?

Bardock42
I'm personally not really a fan of alternative pronouns like "ze" or "xe". With "they" English has a perfectly fine pronoun that does not indicate gender. I do however think it is a good idea for many reasons to raise awareness about personal pronouns, and challenge the prevalent assumption that pronouns should be derivable from appearance as well as that using a gendered pronoun should be a default.

Additionally the way this article is written, and that it is from the daily mail, makes me think that a lot of its content is misleading, though I'm not gonna google it. At any rate, being considerate of other people's gender identity and not being presumptuous is a good goal, and I think we should all try to be better in regards to it.

riv6672
I used to read a comic called Grim Jack, that dealt with beings from myriad realities by simply addressing them as sentients...

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
I'm personally not really a fan of alternative pronouns like "ze" or "xe". With "they" English has a perfectly fine pronoun that does not indicate gender. I do however think it is a good idea for many reasons to raise awareness about personal pronouns, and challenge the prevalent assumption that pronouns should be derivable from appearance as well as that using a gendered pronoun should be a default.

thumb up

Omega Vision
There are those who'll claim that using "they" as a singular pronoun is incorrect, and that he/she is the only proper non-gendered pronoun for singular people. Don't listen to them, apart from being ridiculous to write "he/she" all the time, the grammatical rule that disallows singular use of "they" is a pretty recent mutation that doesn't have much historical backing.

riv6672
^^^I've heard that before, in s couple of courses i attended in the Army. Good call.

StyleTime
"A statement from a university spokesman said:...'There is no mandate or official policy to use the language. The information provided in our Office of Diversity and Inclusion newsletter was offered as a resource to our campus community on inclusive practices.'

Some are overreacting. They're not requiring anyone to use it, just offering an alternative option for those who want it.

Surtur
I say we take a page out of HK-47's book and just refer to everyone as "meatbags".

This is your new God:

http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100923063106/starwars/images/7/78/Hk47portrait.jpg

Originally posted by StyleTime
"A statement from a university spokesman said:...'There is no mandate or official policy to use the language. The information provided in our Office of Diversity and Inclusion newsletter was offered as a resource to our campus community on inclusive practices.'

Some are overreacting. They're not requiring anyone to use it, just offering an alternative option for those who want it.

I don't think anyone here actually thought this was being forced upon students. Since any college hoping to stay in business would be crazy to force this shit on people.

riv6672
^^^isnt meatbag what Bender called humans on Futurama?

Surtur
Originally posted by riv6672
^^^isnt meatbag what Bender called humans on Futurama?

Yes, but Bender isn't this awesome:

LgqV6fByW20

riv6672
I dunno...

NemeBro
Originally posted by Omega Vision
There are those who'll claim that using "they" as a singular pronoun is incorrect, and that he/she is the only proper non-gendered pronoun for singular people. Don't listen to them, apart from being ridiculous to write "he/she" all the time, the grammatical rule that disallows singular use of "they" is a pretty recent mutation that doesn't have much historical backing. thumb up thumb up thumb up

The writing lab I had to do for my Comp 1 course actually marked the singular use of "they" to refer to a person of unspecified gender as wrong, and the "correct" way was to use "he or she" or "his or her", which made me shit my pants in anger. My professor even said that it was ****ing stupid, and using "they" was fine.

riv6672
At least he or she (your professor), was cool about it...wink

Mindship
I like this system better:

http://www.orionsarm.com/eg-article/495360fba7a46

riv6672
Hey neat, i posted that last year! big grin

Mindship
gmta

riv6672
Get my teaching assistant?

Mindship
OISWG

only if she's worth 'gettin'

riv6672
What was the first one you used? I had/have no idea.

Bardock42
Originally posted by riv6672
What was the first one you used? I had/have no idea.

Great minds think alike

riv6672
Mine only works up to a point, obviously! stick out tongue

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.