Temple of Baal destroyed by ISIS

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

AsbestosFlaygon
http://www.reuters.com/news/picture/palmyra-in-ruins?articleId=USRTX1QG8C

StyleTime
They killed the keeper of the temple too. He was 82.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/aug/25/islamic-state-images-destruction-palmyra-temple-baal-shamin-isis

Can't believe they are really that bothered by a historical site, just because of its pagan history. I know it's not the worse act of terror ever, but it's a shame a site like that had to be destroyed over some stupid interpretation of a religion.

ISIS are assholes.

riv6672
^^^Agreed. Agreed. And agreed.

red g jacks
you ever read the old testament? this "baal" god is constantly getting sonned by yahweh in the old testament. he's weak as hell tbh. this is just another example of baal being a shit excuse for a god for not standing up to ISIS.

Bentley
Sad thing.

But I still disagree with opening discussions about ISIS propaganda, these guys aren't any more dangerous to their enemies because they drill rocks. We have all the reasons we need for wanting to stop them already.

jaden101
I find it strange how people get so upset about ISIS blowing up a temple they'd never heard of until ISIS blew it up.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by jaden101
I find it strange how people get so upset about ISIS blowing up a temple they'd never heard of until ISIS blew it up.

I find it strange people get so upset about people killing other people who they don't even know.

eTears.

Flyattractor
Is this were they filmed all those old StarGate Tv shows?

Cause if that is the case then I might care more.

....might.

Surtur

It's not that strange if you look back at history. For example most people had never heard of Pearl Harbor until it was attacked.

Scribble
I find it strange how people get so upset about ISIS blowing up a temple they'd never heard of until ISIS blew it up. Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
I find it strange people get so upset about people killing other people who they don't even know.

eTears. Yeah, both of these things are really strange. Other things I find mind-numbingly insane and that are clear signs of our degradation as a species are compassion, respect, empathy, awe, honour, and care. Some people are just weird, though, right?

jaden101

jaden101
It's also odd that it's a big tragedy when ISIS blow up a temple but it's business as usual when we bomb mosques across Iraq for years.

StyleTime
jaden, you're implying that we can't possibly care about more than one thing, which is silly. (I've been pretty critical of our involvement in Iraq, as have others btw.)

And no one "kicked up a fuss." I pointed out that blowing up the temple is an assholish move, which it is. Please, tell us more about how enlightened you are though. It really adds to the discussion.

Your problem lies with the media, not us. Start a thread about it.

Bardock42

StyleTime
Originally posted by Bentley
Sad thing.

But I still disagree with opening discussions about ISIS propaganda, these guys aren't any more dangerous to their enemies because they drill rocks. We have all the reasons we need for wanting to stop them already.
Granted, I said it's not the worst act of terror ever. It still makes them assholes though.

Scribble

jaden101
Originally posted by StyleTime
jaden, you're implying that we can't possibly care about more than one thing, which is silly. (I've been pretty critical of our involvement in Iraq, as have others btw.)

And no one "kicked up a fuss." I pointed out that blowing up the temple is an assholish move, which it is. Please, tell us more about how enlightened you are though. It really adds to the discussion.

Your problem lies with the media, not us. Start a thread about it.

But ask yourself whether you actually care or whether you just want others to know you've said it's a bad thing.

You can go through a huge list of things that people say they care about for five minutes until they move on to the next trending tragedy.

Very few people actually gave a **** about Cecil the lion. Very few people actually gave a **** about Joseph Kony (he's still out there btw) and very few people actually give a **** about this.

Seems to me the faux outrage is more about being seen to give a **** than actually giving a ****.

Bardock42
I think your problem is with what your standard of "giving a shit" is.

dadudemon
Originally posted by red g jacks
you ever read the old testament? this "baal" god is constantly getting sonned by yahweh in the old testament. he's weak as hell tbh. this is just another example of baal being a shit excuse for a god for not standing up to ISIS.

Yup. Baal's feats don't compare to even Ra's much less YHWH's.

Baal probably couldn't even take Hathor in Hand to Hand combat.

Baal ain't no baller.

jaden101
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think your problem is with what your standard of "giving a shit" is.

It's not sharing a post on Facebook then 2 minutes later posting a picture of my dinner anyway.

Bardock42
It's not sharing a post on Facebook then 2 minutes later posting a picture of my dinner anyway.

Are you calling for a 24 hour no-dinner-photos protest on facebook?

Scribble
It's not sharing a post on Facebook then 2 minutes later posting a picture of my dinner anyway. And you just assume everyone else's is? Even people who you've never communicated with before?

jaden101
Originally posted by Scribble
And you just assume everyone else's is? Even people who you've never communicated with before?

So tell me what you're doing about it?

Bashar Teg

agreed. it really pisses me off as well when strawmen do that.

jaden101
Are you calling for a 24 hour no-dinner-photos protest on facebook?

That could trend and that's what it's all about. Getting "likes". LETS DO THIS

Scribble
So tell me what you're doing about it? Sadly, I'm not really in any position to do anything. I'm an individual in a society that requires a degree of power to change things. So I do very little, really. But I certainly don't do the whole "Look at me I'm conscientious" routine to gain points, and I certainly don't post pictures of my dinner on Facebook. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to show my displeasure at the bad things happening in the world, is it? Should I just shut my mouth and pretend everything is fine, like so many other people? Besides, at least the part-time online social warriors are doing something; maybe that makes them better than me.

Anyway, what do you do?

StyleTime
But ask yourself whether you actually care or whether you just want others to know you've said it's a bad thing.

You can go through a huge list of things that people say they care about for five minutes until they move on to the next trending tragedy.

Very few people actually gave a **** about Cecil the lion. Very few people actually gave a **** about Joseph Kony (he's still out there btw) and very few people actually give a **** about this.

Seems to me the faux outrage is more about being seen to give a **** than actually giving a ****.
Well, I'd argue that people care about different things to different levels. My post was simply detailing my thoughts on the event. There are many things I'd consider worse tragedies, even if this still sucks.

I think it's the same deal on larger scale events. Most people would prefer things like genocide/war/sextrade stopped, even if they aren't marching overseas to overthrow dictators. Civilians don't always do so hot vs modern militaries.

I agree that people often fail to act in situations where they could impact something though.

Robtard
I think the destruction of historical sites is awful and a loss to humanity as a whole. Like I'd be pissed if they tore down the pyramid of Giza, and not just because I've not seen it yet.

What am I going to do about: Train myself to be an even bigger badass and then go fight ISIS.

jaden101
Sadly, I'm not really in any position to do anything. I'm an individual in a society that requires a degree of power to change things. So I do very little, really. But I certainly don't do the whole "Look at me I'm conscientious" routine to gain points, and I certainly don't post pictures of my dinner on Facebook. But that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to show my displeasure at the bad things happening in the world, is it? Should I just shut my mouth and pretend everything is fine, like so many other people? Besides, at least the part-time online social warriors are doing something; maybe that makes them better than me.

Anyway, what do you do?

Last year I raised over 10k for various charities. I choose to work for a company with a strong ethical policy. I've volunteered for several charities I care about. When I was at uni I tried to get enough money together to fund myself helping in Haiti after the earthquake but unfortunately couldn't get enough together so donated the money instead. I give out food and warm clothing to homeless people in my city in winter and manage to do it without filming myself and putting it on Facebook. I've got another 3 charity fundraising events planned for this year. I've attended anti-facism and anti-racism demos as well as other political protests. I've campaigned in a referendum and 2 elections.

Bardock42
Last year I raised over 10k for various charities. I choose to work for a company with a strong ethical policy. I've volunteered for several charities I care about. When I was at uni I tried to get enough money together to fund myself helping in Haiti after the earthquake but unfortunately couldn't get enough together so donated the money instead. I give out food and warm clothing to homeless people in my city in winter and manage to do it without filming myself and putting it on Facebook. I've got another 3 charity fundraising events planned for this year. I've attended anti-facism and anti-racism demos as well as other political protests. I've campaigned in a referendum and 2 elections.

That sounds exhausting, I'm glad I don't care about stuff.

jaden101
General attitude about this issue seems to be confused.

It's basically "this is bad...our country should something...but not go to war in the middle east though cos we're tired of that...we should bomb them at least"

How many people who claim they care about this issue have so much as written to their local political representative about it?

Bashar Teg
today i learned that i should stop caring about this ancient site being destroyed because A- i just learned of it's existance and B- jaden101 from the internet does way more volunteer work than i ever will.

Bardock42
General attitude about this issue seems to be confused.

It's basically "this is bad...our country should something...but not go to war in the middle east though cos we're tired of that...we should bomb them at least"

How many people who claim they care about this issue have so much as written to their local political representative about it?

Well, I didn't write about this issue specifically, but I write to all my representatives about bombing foreign countries all the time. I never hear back though, probably cause they are busy implementing my ideas.

jaden101
Well, I didn't write about this issue specifically, but I write to all my representatives about bombing foreign countries all the time. I never hear back though, probably cause they are busy implementing my ideas.

They must be if you're telling them to bomb foreign countries.

StyleTime
I do exactly twice that, daily.

jaden101
Originally posted by StyleTime
I do exactly twice that, daily.

Good man. You'll have that temple rebuilt in no time.

Scribble
Last year I raised over 10k for various charities. I choose to work for a company with a strong ethical policy. I've volunteered for several charities I care about. When I was at uni I tried to get enough money together to fund myself helping in Haiti after the earthquake but unfortunately couldn't get enough together so donated the money instead. I give out food and warm clothing to homeless people in my city in winter and manage to do it without filming myself and putting it on Facebook. I've got another 3 charity fundraising events planned for this year. I've attended anti-facism and anti-racism demos as well as other political protests. I've campaigned in a referendum and 2 elections. That's awesome, man. It's good that there are people like you out there (no sarcasm intended, seriously), and I commend your efforts. You're clearly geared towards that kind of thing. But don't look too harshly on the people who aren't as active as you, because not everyone has your outlook on life. For example, I'm not a social being, and I am affected by anxiety, so I find rallies and demonstrations terrifying. I do my bit day-to-day, and try to make the people I meet's days better in whatever small way I can, without any desire to be known for that.

Just because we aren't all as proactive as you, doesn't mean we don't care. But keep up the good work, either way.

StyleTime
Good man. You'll have that temple rebuilt in no time.
I'm making a better one. ISIS-proof.

jaden101
That's awesome, man. It's good that there are people like you out there (no sarcasm intended, seriously), and I commend your efforts. You're clearly geared towards that kind of thing. But don't look too harshly on the people who aren't as active as you, because not everyone has your outlook on life. For example, I'm not a social being, and I am affected by anxiety, so I find rallies and demonstrations terrifying. I do my bit day-to-day, and try to make the people I meet's days better in whatever small way I can, without any desire to be known for that.

Just because we aren't all as proactive as you, doesn't mean we don't care. But keep up the good work, either way.

"while I'm alive I'll make tiny changes to earth"

That's all we can go by.

red g jacks
Originally posted by dadudemon
Yup. Baal's feats don't compare to even Ra's much less YHWH's.

Baal probably couldn't even take Hathor in Hand to Hand combat.

Baal ain't no baller. inshallah, once ISIS takes over egypt and starts destroying pyramids it will anger the aliens that built them enough to prompt them to return to earth, and use their photon ray cannons to help emporer trump get rid of this whole ISIS problem

dadudemon
Originally posted by red g jacks
inshallah, once ISIS takes over egypt and starts destroying pyramids it will anger the aliens that built them enough to prompt them to return to earth, and use their photon ray cannons to help emporer trump get rid of this whole ISIS problem

This guy knows what's up.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.