Depa Billlaba form 3 or Form 7?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

redpill
in Rebels the Inquisitor said that Depa Billaba used form 3 for close quarters.

are the 7 lightforms exactly the same as before?

what happened to her vaapad from mace windu? or is form 7 no longer vaapad?

is obi wan still form 3? depa and obi wan both use defensive form?

DarthAnt66
She uses Soresu in Canon and Vaapad in Legends.

redpill
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
She uses Soresu in Canon and Vaapad in Legends.
any idea why they changed it? is mace still vaapad in canon or is he now form 3?

is soresu still the same? i.e defensive?

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by redpill
any idea why they changed it?
Vaapad is hard to describe in a kid's TV show.

It's pretty obvious that he's skilled in Soresu given he must have trained Depa in the style.

I still believe he's a master of Vaapad given it's in the ROTS novel (which is said to be canon).

Yes.

|King Joker|
I hope Luminara is confirmed to be a Soresu user, since her style when dueling Ventress is clearly very Soresu-esque.

redpill
is mace windu still depabillaba master?

DarthAnt66
Yes.

redpill
is mace still vaapad? or is he now form 3 master

DarthAnt66
He's probably a master of both forms.

redpill
has disney released a canon lightsaber combat form book source reference?

Fated Xtasy
Depends, ROTS is Canon, and Vaapad is described there, as is Depa's mastery of the blade. So she, like mace, could probably be a master of both, but we won't know for sure until more material is released.

redpill
so matthew stowers book is canon? i thought it eu since it has many details not in the movie. mace and sidious in the book discuss religious freedom which is not in the movie

Fated Xtasy
so matthew stowers book is canon? i thought it eu since it has many details not in the movie. mace and sidious in the book discuss religious freedom which is not in the movie

Only "what aligns with the movies" is canon. Not sure about everything else.

redpill
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Only "what aligns with the movies" is canon. Not sure about everything else.

movies dont discuss vaapad

in the book windu confronts palpatine and says hes a sith lord

sidious says the republic grantees religious freedom

thats not in the movie

sidious invites sasse tinn to read his mind. not in movie.

Fated Xtasy
movies dont discuss vaapad

in the book windu confronts palpatine and says hes a sith lord

sidious says the republic grantees religious freedom

thats not in the movie

sidious invites sasse tinn to read his mind. not in movie.

During the fight, Mace is stated to be using Vaapad. The fight is in the movie.

Anything else?

SunRazer
Mace definitely mastered Vaapad, but it's possible he mastered Soresu as well.

Darth Thor
I think calling Mace a Soresu master is kind of jumping the gun. That's like saying Obi-Wan is a Djem So master because he trained Anakin.

Anyway I believe Ultimate SW confirms Mace's style skirts the Dark Side. So Vapaad is still canon. Which is a good thing. Because they should make Mace competing with Sidious believable for someone whose normally on par with Dooku.

McP
Is Star Wars: The Clone Wars Magazine a canon source? It's basing on TCW, so it might be possible. And Mace is stated there as "peerless warrior of the Vaapad lightsaber technique".

ares834
Don't think so. Especially if it came before the Disney dump.

Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
During the fight, Mace is stated to be using Vaapad. The fight is in the movie.

Anything else?

The novelizations aren't canon. I've shown the tweet before. It's similar to how it was before. But this time the "C-Canon" elements are non-canon. So Vaapad is gone, at least for now.

Lord Stark
is mace still vaapad? or is he now form 3 master

A Vaapad master must also master the VII basic forms. So yes Mace is also a Form 3 Master. It is also possible Depa still knows how to use Form VII, but who knows at this point.

SunRazer
He doesn't have to master every other form, just multiple.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by ares834

The novelizations aren't canon. I've shown the tweet before. It's similar to how it was before. But this time the "C-Canon" elements are non-canon. So Vaapad is gone, at least for now.

Hey? Where does it say the "C-Canon" elements are non-canon now. Didn't the tweet say the movie novels are canon as long as they don't contradict the movies, in other words Obi-Wan is not Owen's brother, despite it saying that in the ROTJ Novel.

Also Ultimate SW says Mace's style goes close to the dark side, so it's pretty obvious that's referring to Vapaad IMO. Especially given so far they've kept a lot of those details from Legends, and given this:

Originally posted by McP
Is Star Wars: The Clone Wars Magazine a canon source? It's basing on TCW, so it might be possible. And Mace is stated there as "peerless warrior of the Vaapad lightsaber technique".

Originally posted by Lord Stark
A Vaapad master must also master the VII basic forms. So yes Mace is also a Form 3 Master.

I don't remember that being stated about Vapaad masters. I only remember "multiple forms".

Originally posted by Lord Stark
It is also possible Depa still knows how to use Form VII, but who knows at this point.

I doubt it considering Inquisitor knew right away that Depa taught Kanan from his use (or overuse) of Form 3.

AncientPower
Perhaps she switched to defensive styles after a DS brush?

redpill
what is now canon for depa billaba ?

WildBantha88
The problem is that you guys think legends and Canon mesh. I view them as entirely different entities

Darth Thor
what is now canon for depa billaba ?

Form 3.

Originally posted by WildBantha88
The problem is that you guys think legends and Canon mesh. I view them as entirely different entities

They are different entities. That being said, Canon has confirmed so much stuff from Legends, that when it comes to things like Saber forms, I think a good policy is to assume the Legends stance on it until Canon says otherwise.

Selenial
Originally posted by AncientPower
Perhaps she switched to defensive styles after a DS brush?

Or just that knowledge of Vapaad wasn't something one could study from the holorecords which the inquisitor was going off? Not like the form was public knowledge among the Jedi...

ares834
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Hey? Where does it say the "C-Canon" elements are non-canon now. Didn't the tweet say the movie novels are canon as long as they don't contradict the movies, in other words Obi-Wan is not Owen's brother, despite it saying that in the ROTJ Novel.

No. They said they are only canon when they "align" with the movies which is, admittedly, rather nebulous.

As for your example, Owen and Kenobi being brothers is technically never contradicted in the films. Therefore canon!

Darth Thor
No. They said they are only canon when they "align" with the movies which is, admittedly, rather nebulous.

The first tweet said "where they don't contradict the films", and the second "where they align with the films", IIRC.

Anyway in terms of the Saber forms not much seems to have changed in canon. Like hardly anything so far.

As for your example, Owen and Kenobi being brothers is technically never contradicted in the films. Therefore canon!

And that's probably why they added "where they align with the films" instead of just saying "where they don't contradict the films."

Ben being Owen's brother doesn't mesh with the films very well.

ares834
First tweet just said they were canon. The second was a correction saying only when they align with the films, which could mean anything between when they are a direct adaption or when the don't contradict.

However, the fact that we are getting new (canon) books about the OT and that several things from the novelizations have since been contradicted by the new Disney stuff (not merely the films) would suggest that the former is the more likely.

Lord Stark
Originally posted by SunRazer
He doesn't have to master every other form, just multiple.

Ah, I guess I only assumed since Bulq was also a master of the VII forms.

Darth Thor

However, the fact that we are getting new (canon) books about the OT

Really? When's that?

and that several things from the novelizations have since been contradicted by the new Disney stuff (not merely the films) would suggest that the former is the more likely.

What's been contradicted specifically by Disney from the movie novelizations?

juyomaster34
I find this canon and non canon and Legends rather confusing and a bunch of BS.
This is what happens when you give the wrong company control over your life's work.

I know you want to make things kid friendly, but everything can't be kid friendly.
Lone Ranger? Fantastic 4? Who cares what else. These movies failed,horribly.
I hope this new Star Wars movie don't follow in their foot steps.

When they changed the EU,they limited the possibility of creating good stories from that time
line. They eliminated the possibilities of alot potential stories about other Jedi,Sith, hell other
Force Factions.

Now we stuck with this big ole what if...(ISH).
Depa is imho Form 7(Juyo/Vaapad).
Maybe during the Republic's false peace time she was possibly Form 3 (Soresu).
Mace was,at one time a Soresu practitioner under the apprenticeship of T'rra Saa

Who was also a Soresu Master. Just one of Mace's Masters were mentioned in his
bio,we all know his other master is Yoda,who other than these two,the most long lived species
in the SW mythos,taught Mace is still a mystery.

It was once said that Depa was the most spiritual on the Jedi Council.
She was labeled imho a Jedi Consular,which would explain some of the form 3 theory.
Soresu would explain some of my own personal theories on part of Vaapad's creation
in the blaster deflection training along with Shien in the blaster reflection training as well.

Vaapad's Jedi pholosophy or its philosophical aspects were highly refined in order to grasp
Vaapad's state of mind. Which theoretically suppose to allow Jedi to not only skirt the dark side,
but balance between light and dark.

Through out the CW we see Mace lean towards a barely contained nonaggessive approach before we see him if barely unleash any of Vaapad's techniques or Vaapad fueled actions.
A better example of Mace unleashed was in the CW micro series volume 1 and 2.

That was a perfect example of Mace and Vaapad in action.
I know we all won't agree,But Yoda shows a similar example with Ataru
in SWCW Season 1.

The Difference? Yoda gets a pass, Mace gets a bunch of complaints and disses.
And in my sarcastic personal opinion I won't say.
He is Yoda's second,he was suppose to do those things.

Why water,I mean dumb him down,put him in a ridiculous episode with Jar Jar Binks,
and forget it. Again imspo I won't say.

Depa is a good character, they should have went further into her history before making a ridiculous accusations of her being a form 3 practitioner or master.
Disney do your research she was in a coma.

Mace clearly stated that if she awakes she'll be charged with crimes against civilization.
Depa is a former master of Vaapad,meaning she mastered its physical technique,but
failed its mental and philosophical technique.

So I would see her pull a Obi and settle for Soresu w/Vaapad as a back up.
That still doesn't explain how she got out of her coma and immediately give her a padawan,
and suddenly perish in combat.imo doesn't make sense.

I know my reply will stirrup alot of debate but I am seriously still angry about disney's hostile
take over and ending the EU.

redpill
would u call vos in dd unpredictable style dark side juyo or vaapad? sure sounds like it

Darth Thor
would u call vos in dd unpredictable style dark side juyo or vaapad? sure sounds like it

Neither. It wasn't an unpredicatble Lightsaber form. It was his Own Unpredictable Nature, actualizing itself into His Own Fighting Style, regardless of the Saber form he was using.

redpill
Neither. It wasn't an unpredicatble Lightsaber form. It was his Own Unpredictable Nature, actualizing itself into His Own Fighting Style, regardless of the Saber form he was using.

in hunt for ziro canon vos seems "predictable" laid back surfer dude wink

Darth Thor
in hunt for ziro canon vos seems "predictable" laid back surfer dude wink

He was taking it easy on Cad Bane.

redpill
He was taking it easy on Cad Bane.

i think he was a laid back kind of guy.

completely different from Dark Knight Vos in republic.

id like to see Dark Knight Vos in Rebels wink

juyomaster34
I would call Vos's "unpredictable nature and technique" Vaapad.
He was taught Vaapad by Sora Bulq and in Mace's personal opinion
mastered Vaapad more than Vos realised.

Vos did kill Bulq with Vaapad, it sure wasn't with his Ataru and Shien variant.
Ok maybe not his nature,but Vos was a perfect choice for both Juyo/Vaapad.
Bulq did say he tested Vos w/Vaapad,which he passed and lied to Mace about not teaching him
further,which he did.

In their duel Vos turned inwards to fight himself and his inner darkness.
It was said and I quote

Quinlan Vos,in order to combat Sora's furious technique,gave himself completely to Vaapad,
and in turn accepted and embraced the full fury of his opponent Sora,and transformed his
anger into a super conducting loop,connecting Sora's hatred with his inner darkness,

Which passed in and out and through him,which he (Vos) then channeled back towards Bulq.
Vos finally mastered the flow of light and dark,he had a strange calmness as Bulq raised his saber for the killing blow.

Suddenly,Vos turned around and struck Bulq down across the torso,showing his (Vos) level
of mastery of Vaapad over its co - creator,Vos remained a Jedi while Sora Bulq and Depa Billaba fell.

Which proves my point,Vaapad vs Vaapad doesn't always end in a stalemate.
Quinlan Vos is either a master to a certain degree or an expert of Vaapad. (unoffically)
Mace recognised his mastery but he didn't give him the offical title of master.

Grievous imitation of Vaapad was passable but not entirely Vaapad without its Force applications
Vos is a good pick for Vaapad.
Kyle Katarn is even a better pick. imo.

Before I close Depa Billaba is a dangerous woman,even more dangerous than Shaak Tii and the
Dark Woman. Before we continue this debate can either lady of the Jedi defeat 24 men in less than a minute? This is with Vaapad,another hint,Depa reflected those blaster bolts back at those 24 men with not Soresu or Shien but with Vaapad alone. Read Shatter Point again.

Some of those 24 men had charred ring around finger sized holes in their armor,
while the rest had blackened gapes of light saber wounds,instantly cauterized by the blade
that opened them.

Pardon my paraphasing it was stated that,the effect of opening fire with energy weapons,
point blank upon a master of Vaapad,was mutely testified to by every charred ring around a
finger sized hole in the armor and burned,lifeless flesh beneath.

My rant,..how does she die, if easily, when she can pull off a feat similar
if not better than a Soresu Master and a Shien Master?

carthage
Some quotes about Vaapad or its masters would be nice thumb up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.