will there be a race war in america?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

red g jacks
call me crazy but it seems like the media is really pushing this race war shit. first with the charleston shooter, then with the guy who shot the reporters after that. i've been watching a lot of videos on youtube with people either talking about an approaching race war or just documentaries of far right neo nazi groups and all that. i know there was some noise about this back in the 90's but then it sort of died off. it seems like it's back and stronger than ever at this point. i remember hearing something like how right wing extremist groups are on the rise in the US.

Q99
Originally posted by red g jacks
call me crazy but it seems like the media is really pushing this race war shit. first with the charleston shooter, then with the guy who shot the reporters after that. i've been watching a lot of videos on youtube with people either talking about an approaching race war or just documentaries of far right neo nazi groups and all that. i know there was some noise about this back in the 90's but then it sort of died off. it seems like it's back and stronger than ever at this point. i remember hearing something like how right wing extremist groups are on the rise in the US.

Hah, no way! Racial stuff is getting better.

Think about that for a second.

You see, what's changed is we have the video cameras everywhere to show what was always going on, but now have the proof of, and the people outside the affected communities are getting clued in. Black people knew about- and were angry about- this stuff for a long time. Heck, remember that violent lynching of blacks was a common thing in the 60s.

Extremist groups may have been pushing for a race war hard then, but it didn't happen, and that was when the KKK was large and influential, much more than all the little extremist/supremicists now. The reason why the groups are on the rise is because they are *losing* the social war- i.e. the things keeping up barriers between white and black people are being torn down, making it easier for people to be treated easily- and thus they're trying to bring stuff to a head now, while they think they can 'win,' but really, in as much as their actions attracts some, it alienates more. It's a losing strategy, and it's no different than the 60s backlash, you can't stop a social change with intimidation, especially not when the change is working to stop other intimidation.

The media is pushing 'police need to be help accountable for these actions against black people,' and so on, which is not race war at all despite how some try and present it as such, and indeed, is a good sign. The odds of a race war is decreasing because stuff is getting fixed and it's being acknowledged, not increasing, because while there's more attention on it now, with a few exceptions there's nothing actually unusual going on aside from the attention, and really this stuff was largely being swept under the rug.

So no, we aren't moving closer to a race war, we're moving closer to fixing some of our race issues, and some people are violently flailing because they're so afraid of that.

red g jacks
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-new-york-times-poll-views-on-race-relations-hit-two-decade-low/

Bardock42
Originally posted by red g jacks
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/cbs-news-new-york-times-poll-views-on-race-relations-hit-two-decade-low/

In my opinion that is solely due to increased visibility of racial issues, not because race relations have gotten worse.

Time-Immemorial
Visibly? I don't think you have visibly seen anything here.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Visibly? I don't think you have visibly seen anything here.

Come on, man. Don't be a caricature of yourself...

red g jacks
Originally posted by Bardock42
In my opinion that is solely due to increased visibility of racial issues, not because race relations have gotten worse. so racial issues are becoming more widely reported, despite supposedly becoming less prevalent? and this is giving the majority of americans the impression that race relations are souring?

that basically sounds to me like the media is helping to construct a false narrative which has the potential to cause an actual increase in racial tension.

i honestly was under the impression that race relations were improving in this country as well, up until recently. i would ask you though on what basis you say race relations are improving/not getting worse?

Robtard
It's two-sided, sure we're seeing more of things like police brutality on black people, because just about everyone has a camera now. But this in turn will only serve to curb the problem in the long run.

But comparing the position of minorities today to decades past, of course things have improved overall.

Flyattractor
Maybe we should reintroduce segregation. For the African American's own safety. Maybe move them all into one state and move all the white people out. That way blacks can live some where that doesn't have any WHITE POLICE Officers that go around shooting every black man they see. Maybe use Pennsylvania. Maybe rename it Blackssylvania.

Surtur
Originally posted by Q99 You see, what's changed is we have the video cameras everywhere to show what was always going on, but now have the proof of, and the people outside the affected communities are getting clued in.

I don't know though. I mean having video cameras everywhere didn't stop people from protesting over a thug who died after getting into a shootout with the cops.

So you illustrate a potential problem: we have videos and shit, but this "I'm a victim" mentality has become so ingrained that they won't even wait to make sure the death they are protesting for wasn't justified. They will see a black man is dead and a cop is involved, so he must of been a victim of police brutality.

red g jacks
Originally posted by Robtard
It's two-sided, sure we're seeing more of things like police brutality on black people, because just about everyone has a camera now. But this in turn will only serve to curb the problem in the long run.

But comparing the position of minorities today to decades past, of course things have improved overall. well, i think it's probably safe to say that institutionalized racism has decreased over the past century or so

but i am thinking more about say the last 20 years or so and whether your average american is becoming more or less racist

maybe it is because i moved to the south, or maybe i am being influenced by the sensationalist tone of the mainstream propaganda campaigns that seem to have taken a shine to racial issues as of late. but i just don't see people becoming less racist.

i think racism is largely just an extension of tribal instinct... and the more you stir the racial pot in a multiracial society, the more tribalism will resonate with the average person. and in some cases you will have liberals like bardock or q99 who say oh this is just a sign of progress... as long as we keep these campaigns up, the problem will be solved eventually. but then you have many others who have the opposite reaction, and when prompted with these tribal sentiments, run to the defense of their own particular tribe instead of seeking ways to mend relations between tribes.

i could just be paranoid though. tbh i have seen many similar stories about the situation in europe with the right-wing nationalist movements that have seen a sort of resurgence there due to the religious, racial and cultural tension introduced by mass immigration.

Surtur
Racism has definitely had a huge decline. Compare the current age to what it was like in the 1950s. See the problem isn't police brutality or anything: it is the media. It is the media that makes it sound like there is an epidemic of police brutality going on..when the reality is compared to decades ago the amount of people killed by cops has gone way way down.

red g jacks
like i said i have no doubt that if you go far back enough you can say racism has declined. i'm more curious about the 1990's-present trends than going all the way back to the jim crow era.

long pig
If certain people continue to brainwash themselves into refusing responsibility for their actions and believing in their own perpetual victimhood, a race war may be needed.

Cognitive dissonance is a disease.

jaden101
Originally posted by Surtur
Racism has definitely had a huge decline. Compare the current age to what it was like in the 1950s. See the problem isn't police brutality or anything: it is the media. It is the media that makes it sound like there is an epidemic of police brutality going on..when the reality is compared to decades ago the amount of people killed by cops has gone way way down.

US police killed more people in the first 24 days of this year than UK police have killed in 24 years.

But nah I'm sure you're right.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by jaden101
US police killed more people in the first 24 days of this year than UK police have killed in 24 years.

What % of those were white vs black?

And how much does population come into that?

Surtur
So recently we had an employee at Arby's refuse to serve a police officer. Let us play a game: guess which race the employee was..guess which race the cop was. Now..guess whether or not this person was fired over this.

Originally posted by jaden101

So you kinda sorta realize I was talking about the numbers in THIS country being down? I didn't mention any comparison to other countries. So yeah, I am absolutely correct: the number of people killed by cops in this country has gone down. Pointing out UK statistics has no bearing on that statement.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.