Desalinization of ocean water

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
Could desalinization of ocean water save California and other states suffering from record breaking drought? Will those states become deserts once again, or is desalinization the answer? If so, could this process also remove minerals from the water that are crucial to the human body? It has been stated, that in many areas of California that people have been told that it is safe to drink water that smells like rotten eggs, and that is also black. Agriculturally, California is responsible for much of the nations produce. Are things as grim as they seem?

Time-Immemorial
They too stupid to make reservoirs or stop dumping fresh water into the ocean, let them dehydrate, they brought this on themselves.

Stoic
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
They too stupid to make reservoirs or stop dumping fresh water into the ocean, let them dehydrate, they brought this on themselves.

But this effects the entire nation TI. I mean California is responsible for producing at least 1/3rd of the food bought in grocery stores or something to that extent. i know that the rich seem to believe that their grass is more important to keep green than for people to survive, but the rich only make up a small percentage of Californian residents.

Time-Immemorial
Yes and they should be blamed for everything.

Idiot liberal government, hell bent on "protection." Not conservation.

jaden101
It's yet another problem that could be solved with liquid fluoride thorium reactor technology as you can use the waste heat to safely desalinate all the water you'd ever need.

Time-Immemorial
Free energy suppression, brought to you by your truly, the worlds governments.

Nuclear Power is good, thats why Iran is getting them.

jaden101
Free energy suppression, brought to you by your truly, the worlds governments.

Nuclear Power is good, thats why Iran is getting them.

You been drinking again?

Q99
Yes and they should be blamed for everything.

Idiot liberal government, hell bent on "protection." Not conservation.

You're literally calling for more government intervention and control over things here- I mean, sensibly so, I will grant you that! The government really should have a firmer hand here and have more regulations preventing people and companies from wasting so much water and such.

But I'm just noting the irony.

Time-Immemorial
The government, meaning Moonbeam Brown stopped the construction of new reservoirs.

Flyattractor
Wasn't it in Califunny that they emptied a reservoir because they caught some guy peeing in it?

Jmanghan
"JOHNATHAN, THE PRESIDENT NEEDS A DRINK!"

I feel like the president, whoever he/she is at the time, will be the last living person on the planet, most likely due to his/her importance.

Stoic
Originally posted by jaden101
It's yet another problem that could be solved with liquid fluoride thorium reactor technology as you can use the waste heat to safely desalinate all the water you'd ever need.

Okay so they desalinate the water of one mineral, but what about all of the other minerals present in water? What stops the process from also removing those minerals? I was under the impression that without certain minerals present in water, that the bones suffer over a long period of time, even your finger nails become soft and extremely pliable. Do you know anything about that? I'd be very interested in knowing about this. I guess it would beat dying of thirst,or drinking black water that smells of rotting eggs, but the long term effects could be just as bad.

jaden101
Originally posted by Stoic
Okay so they desalinate the water of one mineral, but what about all of the other minerals present in water? What stops the process from also removing those minerals? I was under the impression that without certain minerals present in water, that the bones suffer over a long period of time, even your finger nails become soft and extremely pliable. Do you know anything about that? I'd be very interested in knowing about this.

The overwhelming amount of minerals you require are extracted from food rather than water. To get the minerals your body needs solely from water you'd need to drink a bath full of water every day.

Mineral content of water also varies massively depending on where it comes from and the land it passes through and where it's stored.

It's also arguable that desalinated water wouldn't contain potentially harmful pollutants that some fresh water sources can.

Surtur
Maybe they should stop wasting so much water on almonds.

Bashar Teg
i think california needs less water. this way we'll have more opportunity to grossly oversimplify the issue and act smug.

Robtard
We'll be fine once El Nino's revenge hits this winter, we'll be able to water all the almonds while dumping fresh water into the ocean.

Time-Immemorial
Blame Moonbeam Brown

Robtard
Because his magical "moonbeam" powers caused a long drought.

Time-Immemorial
Blame Jerry, I know its hard for you.

Flyattractor
You would think people would be all behind this. I mean taking as much water of the oceans before the polar ice caps melt this winter should really cut down on rising sea levels.

That and all the rich people really need to keep their lawns green all year round.

Time-Immemorial
I like how people who were for letting freshwater dump into the ocean to save a bait fish, but are all for pulling building $2billion desal plants to pull it back out.

That is reverse liberal backward thinking.

They really are the stupidest people on earth.

Flyattractor
That's why we try to herd as many of them into Califunny as we can.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Flyattractor
That's why we try to herd as many of them into Califunny as we can.

Very true. They bankrupted their state and ran out of water, now all we need is the big one to finish the job.

Flyattractor
I can imagine them all bitching about polluting the oceans as they all drown in it.

Time-Immemorial
How do we collect them all up for the big one or will they heard for us?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.