Egyptian Billionaire Plans to Buy Island for Syrian Refugees

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://time.com/4023237/egyptian-billionaire-offers-to-buy-island-to-house-migrants/

The island would be between Italy and Greece, and he plans to make it a sovereign nation, something like a New Syria.

Bentley
Giving refugees a territory is not a bad idea, I heard about this guys in the news. However, it would need to be the foundations for a free country and not some elaborate ruse to become a prince, because this billionaire hasn't been really clear about his plans.

Omega Vision
Well, I doubt the EU would let him set up a country unless he was clearly not involved in its political determinations.

Probably nothing will come of this, but if it does, it would make a good base for a government in exile for the Syrian opposition.

jaden101
Greece need the money and selling off some of their uninhabited islands would seem like a win win.

Omega Vision
The guy's kind of deluding himself though if he thinks he can do the initial resettlement for less than $100 million. This is a billion dollar project if he wants to settle 100,000 people with shelter and basic infrastructure.

Then again, he said in an interview that his kids are already provided for and he wants to do something charitable with what money he has, and his net worth is $3 billion, so he can probably get it done if he's willing to expend his entire fortune and the European countries agree to it.

Surtur
I don't know..I am automatically suspicious of anyone rich enough to buy their own island and turn it into a sovereign nation.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.