Professor Xavier's Telepathy vs...

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

juggerman
Ok this thread is to try to determine the limitations of Xavier's TP. This is only for movie Xavier so no comic book or cartoon showings please.

To keep it in the vs thread I will make a list of characters that Xavier has to mind control.

I just hope to find out what, if any, limits he has.

In no particular order:

1. Xenomorph
2. Predator
3. Hulk
4. Thanos
5. Zod(either)
6. Dr. Manhattan
7. Silver Surfer
8. Imhotep
9. Hades (Clash/Wrath of the titans)
10. Zeus (Immortals)
11. Galactus
12. God (Bruce Almighty)

You don't have to answer for every one here. Just lemme know if there are any he can't do and why. None of these guys have TP resistance feats as far as I know.

Also can Xavier control insects and animals?

Time-Immemorial
1. Zero Effect
2. Possible Effect
3. Dominate
4. Zero Effect
5. Possible Effect
6. X Dies a horrible death for even trying
7. Zero Effect
8. No Effect
9. X dies for even trying
10. ^^
11. ^^
12. ^^

FrothByte
1. Xenomorph - minimal effect - Xenomorphs seem to be driven mostly by instinct and not thought process. X can probably confuse them and nudge them to do things

2. Predator - I can see X being able to mind blast the Pred, maybe even stop it in it's tracks. Don't see X being able to communicate much though

3. Hulk - same with Xenomorphs, though X might be able to calm Hulk down... depending on how enraged Hulk is

4. Thanos - unknown - need to see more of Thanos before I can comment

5. Zod(either) - full effects of TP

6. Dr. Manhattan - partial effects - Manhattan has shown an incredible intellect compared to the normal man - will definitely put up a fight

7. Silver Surfer - full effects of TP - might have advantage due to age (how old is he anyway?)

8. Imhotep - partial effects - Imhotep has shown pretty strong mental powers before

9. Hades (Clash/Wrath of the titans) - might have some partial resistance due to age but should still be affected

10. Zeus (Immortals) - same as Hades

11. Galactus - unknown - Galactus didn't even seem to have a physical body in the movies

12. God (Bruce Almighty) - haven't watched this

juggerman
Glad to get some feed back.

@FrothByte: Why do you say age has an effect on Xavier's TP? Also why intelligence?

@Time-Immemorial: Why to pretty much everything lol. Why doesn't he have an effect on some?

FrothByte
Not just age but extreme age. You're talking about immortal gods who've lived far longer and experienced countless more experiences than X. That should beef up their will power somewhat.

Same with intelligence, not just intelligence but extreme intelligence. Manhattan seems to be able to view multiple timelines and has transcended knowledge as we know it... trying to control a mind like that has got to prove a challenge for Xavier.

Utrigita
Originally posted by juggerman
Ok this thread is to try to determine the limitations of Xavier's TP. This is only for movie Xavier so no comic book or cartoon showings please.

To keep it in the vs thread I will make a list of characters that Xavier has to mind control.

I just hope to find out what, if any, limits he has.

In no particular order:

1. Xenomorph
2. Predator
3. Hulk
4. Thanos
5. Zod(either)
6. Dr. Manhattan
7. Silver Surfer
8. Imhotep
9. Hades (Clash/Wrath of the titans)
10. Zeus (Immortals)
11. Galactus
12. God (Bruce Almighty)

You don't have to answer for every one here. Just lemme know if there are any he can't do and why. None of these guys have TP resistance feats as far as I know.

Also can Xavier control insects and animals?

1. If I recall correctly the Xenomorph Queen uses some kind of telepathy to control the hive. I think it's reasonable to assume that Xavier could produce a strong enough telepathic link to replicate it. Or I'm just mixing the movies with the comics.

2. Should be able to control it.

3. Scarlett Witch did some nasty shit to Hulk, I imagine Xavier can do the same without significant problems.

4. No clue.

5. Hmmm, my initial thought was yes, but then I recalled how hard a time Xavier had fighting against Shaw... toss up.

6. Should be able to control him, he is after all "only" human.

7. I don't think Surfers mind is a nice place to be, that and he has shown some telepathy.

8. Strong enough mental powers to put up quite a fight.

9. Extreme willpower. Will be really tough.

10. Extreme willpower. Will be really tough.

11. A Cloud of angry Gas... Not gonna happen.

12. No way in hell, but Xavier will probably get dumped there.

juggerman
Originally posted by FrothByte
Not just age but extreme age. You're talking about immortal gods who've lived far longer and experienced countless more experiences than X. That should beef up their will power somewhat.

Same with intelligence, not just intelligence but extreme intelligence. Manhattan seems to be able to view multiple timelines and has transcended knowledge as we know it... trying to control a mind like that has got to prove a challenge for Xavier.

Age, willpower and/or intelligence have never been shown to hinder X as far as I know. He had trouble holding Shaw and as we know is that Shaw absorbed the power of a nuke. Nothing else was given so it seems Shaw's great power was what caused the issue for X. Emma Frost was able to block him due to her diamond skin and Mystique only resisted X because he was much weaker than normal. Those are the only time that I recall him having issues

KuRuPT Thanosi
Prof X could do absolutely nothing with Thanos, in fact, he's tried (with help) and utterly failed. He couldn't even read his mind, let alone try and take control of it.

Silent Master
When did movie Prof X ever try and use TP on movie Thanos?

relentless1
Xavier vs Bram Stokers Dracula

juggerman
Originally posted by KuRuPT Thanosi
Prof X could do absolutely nothing with Thanos, in fact, he's tried (with help) and utterly failed. He couldn't even read his mind, let alone try and take control of it.

At this point Thanos has no feats. Do we give him the benefit of the doubt here or, based solely on the idea he is feat-less, can we give X the nod for now?

ShadowFyre
On #1. At least in the comics, only the queen can control yhr xenomorph and they react violentlyor confused otherwise. But its been ten years or so since ive kepts up with the xeno and yautja comics. And this is the movies so...take it with a grain of salt.

KuRuPT Thanosi
At this point Thanos has no feats. Do we give him the benefit of the doubt here or, based solely on the idea he is feat-less, can we give X the nod for now?

Of course, the character is supposed to be very similar to his comic book counterpart. Why would we assume his TP resistance is suddenly poop? That doesn't seem to make logical sense. Even if it's nerfed some, he still should have no issue stopping Xavier. As stated, even with the help he couldn't even read Thanos' mind, let alone TP him.

Silent Master
What TP resistance feats does movie Thanos have?

juggerman
Of course, the character is supposed to be very similar to his comic book counterpart. Why would we assume his TP resistance is suddenly poop? That doesn't seem to make logical sense. Even if it's nerfed some, he still should have no issue stopping Xavier. As stated, even with the help he couldn't even read Thanos' mind, let alone TP him.

Many of the comic book heroes and villains are very VERY far from their comic book counter parts. Doom is I think a prime example.

But since this is the MvF we don't really count what the guy should be able to do based on other sources.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Many of the comic book heroes and villains are very VERY far from their comic book counter parts. Doom is I think a prime example.

But since this is the MvF we don't really count what the guy should be able to do based on other sources.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. There are MANY more examples of characters being more similar to their comic book counterparts than not. So I'd be the one going with what's probable, while you're looking at it from a possibility standpoint.

juggerman
Not sure what you're trying to say here. There are MANY more examples of characters being more similar to their comic book counterparts than not. So I'd be the one going with what's probable, while you're looking at it from a possibility standpoint.

I'm looking at it from a "Movie feats only" standpoint. I know comic Thanos can easily withstand Xavier but we go by the feats these guys actually preform in the film in question. For example, MOS Superman never showed freeze breath. Just because he most likely will do it in a future film, and has in many other movies, tv shows, and comics in the past, doesn't mean it would be acceptable here.

Or maybe I'm wrong about how that works

Silent Master

Per board rules, only movie feats count. so what movie feats does Thanos have in regards to resisting TP.

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Silent Master
Per board rules, only movie feats count. so what movie feats does Thanos have in regards to resisting TP.

This is retarded then. The OP either doesn't know Thanos hasnt' really been on the big screen much... or he realizes he hasn't, and thus wants us to logical deduce what should happen if Thanos is like his comic book self. Those are the likely two options. So if its B... I'm spot on

Silent Master
There is only one option, acknowledge that as of yet Thanos has no TP resistance feats and state that the thread can be revisited if movie Thanos shows tp resistance in future movies.

juggerman
This is retarded then. The OP either doesn't know Thanos hasnt' really been on the big screen much... or he realizes he hasn't, and thus wants us to logical deduce what should happen if Thanos is like his comic book self. Those are the likely two options. So if its B... I'm spot on

I am the OP. I chose the characters deliberately to see what the idea was regarding Xavier's power. I purposely chose characters that had no TP resistance feats on screen basically to see if there might be other reasons these guys might resist.

So far I got willpower and intelligence as potential TP blockers. Not sure I agree with smarts being a deterrent tho

KuRuPT Thanosi
Originally posted by Silent Master
There is only one option, acknowledge that as of yet Thanos has no TP resistance feats and state that the thread can be revisited if movie Thanos shows tp resistance in future movies.

Why would I say I'm wrong, when nobody knows the OP's intention? do you?

Further are you thus claiming that since Thanos' has no TP feats.. that X would TP him?

FrothByte
I am the OP. I chose the characters deliberately to see what the idea was regarding Xavier's power. I purposely chose characters that had no TP resistance feats on screen basically to see if there might be other reasons these guys might resist.

So far I got willpower and intelligence as potential TP blockers. Not sure I agree with smarts being a deterrent tho

Not just smarts but extreme intelligence. Don't think Xavier would have problems with guys like Tony Stark or Reed Richards. But Dr. Manhattan is very very different.

Maybe extreme intelligence is the wrong description for it. A better way to describe it is that I believe Dr. Manhattan doesn't think like the normal human being, that his thoughts and processes are very different from ours. That his thought processes are far more advanced than even just a smart human. That's why I think X will have difficulty with him.

Silent Master
Why would I say I'm wrong, when nobody knows the OP's intention? do you?

Further are you thus claiming that since Thanos' has no TP feats.. that X would TP him?

What I said was that the only option is to admit that movie Thanos currently has no TP resistance feats, which is true.

juggerman
Originally posted by FrothByte
Not just smarts but extreme intelligence. Don't think Xavier would have problems with guys like Tony Stark or Reed Richards. But Dr. Manhattan is very very different.

Maybe extreme intelligence is the wrong description for it. A better way to describe it is that I believe Dr. Manhattan doesn't think like the normal human being, that his thoughts and processes are very different from ours. That his thought processes are far more advanced than even just a smart human. That's why I think X will have difficulty with him.

Makes sense. Manhattan's mind was pretty unique so maybe intelligence isn't exactly the right way but I get where you're coming from

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.