Darth Nihilus runs a Gauntlet

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

The Merchant
Why not? IDC about the order btw:

1.Ludo Kressh
2.Naga Sadow
3.Freedon Nadd
4.Darth Malak
5.Freedon Nadd
6.Marka Ragnos
7.Exar Kun
8.SOR Revan
9.Revan! Vitiate
10.DE Palpatine

Does he clear :O

Stigma
Originally posted by The Merchant

Does he clear :O
lol no. erm

Stops at 4.

BTW you have Nadd at 3 and again at 5.

SunRazer
Malak being above Sadow is a big no. He's probably not even above Kressh. And yes, I know you don't care about the order.

As for Nihilus, people who accept Traya's comments about a "mere thought" drawing him etc. will have to accept that he "may even rival the Ancient Sith", which means its dubious at most. Under that logic, he wouldn't even get past Sadow (and if it came to a strict fight, I doubt he would).

He probably makes it up to Exar Kun before his Drain fails him and he dies.

Board Walker
nihilus clears

Nephthys
Originally posted by Board Walker
nihilus clears

Stigma
lol no.

carthage
Exar blows him up

Zampanó
I'm inclined to say that N. clears.

Speculation: Marka Ragnos, Vitate, and Kun could probably engineer defeats given enough time to conduct rituals...

Unambiguous Fact: In a straight fight nobody is going to weather the TK he can bring to bear nor can they handle the drain.

NewGuy01
Honestly loses almost all of these.

SunRazer
McDubiousCircumstances one-shots with his Drain and TK.

FreshestSlice
Anything from 7 on could probably defeat him.

EmperorSidious2
Stops at 7

The_Tempest
Nihilus's telekinetic feats are suspect, quite honestly. Assuming he did in fact remove his fleet from malachor's mass shadows with brute TK, he did so from an extremely powerful dark side nexus and under unknown circumstances. (Perhaps with aid from the other dark siders, a la dorsk81 and the Yavin iv?)

furthermore, the notion that he kept the Ravager intact with brute TK is contradicted by the fact that the ship retains its structural integrity even after he dies, despite the presence of (dozens? hundreds?) of individuals inside acting against it.

DarthAnt66
Avellone said that if he died, the ship would slowly break apart IIRC.

"When killed, the ship would slowly begin to fall apart into wreckage..."

The_Tempest
Intriguing.

sounds like there was more to the ship's enduring integrity than Nihilus's influence.

DarthAnt66
Well Nihilus' presence was still on the ship after he was killed (he contained his presence in his mask).

The_Tempest
Then the ship wouldn't have ever become wreckage at all, would it?

DarthAnt66
Well he's not manually keeping it together. At that point just his dark presence is there.

Selenial
Actually, his presence dissipates after he dies, doesn't it? Visas says she sees nothing left of him after that whole red lightning cloud thing...

DarthAnt66
Retconned. It's later said his spirit traveled with his mask to Korriban.

The_Tempest
Originally posted by DarthAnt66
Well he's not manually keeping it together. At that point just his dark presence is there.

If he's manually keeping it together, it should have began to rapidly disintegrate upon his death. If it's his mere presence uniting the ship, and his presence was imbued in his mask/armor, then it should have never collapsed... which contradicts avellone's quote.

Unless, perhaps, the feat has been blown wildly out of proportion.

Selenial
@Ant: Source, because that's wrong mmm

Stigma
Originally posted by The_Tempest
Nihilus's telekinetic feats are suspect, quite honestly. Assuming he did in fact remove his fleet from malachor's mass shadows with brute TK, he did so from an extremely powerful dark side nexus and under unknown circumstances. (Perhaps with aid from the other dark siders, a la dorsk81 and the Yavin iv?)

furthermore, the notion that he kept the Ravager intact with brute TK is contradicted by the fact that the ship retains its structural integrity even after he dies, despite the presence of (dozens? hundreds?) of individuals inside acting against it.
Agreed. thumb up

Also lol at Zamp for confusing fact and fiction.

Zampanó
If he's manually keeping it together, it should have began to rapidly disintegrate upon his death. If it's his mere presence uniting the ship, and his presence was imbued in his mask/armor, then it should have never collapsed... which contradicts avellone's quote.

Unless, perhaps, the feat has been blown wildly out of proportion.

Friend, I always win this point between the two of us. There are many debates that you have won, but this is not one of them. (Also i am claiming victory for the N. thread from a couple weeks ago where you were trying to undermine Tobin's competence to speak to N.'s perspective.)

So let's look at your cases on display here: Either the cessation of N.'s manual preservation of structural integrity implies that his death should immediately precipitate the disintegration of the Ravager, or N.'s mere presence (but not direct application of TK) is the sufficient condition and so the ship will not disintegrate.

Since we have a clear contradiction in the first case (the ship needs charges to blow up) and a quote contradicting the second (the Ravager would slowly drift apart after N.'s death) you want to conclude that the feat is exaggerated.

If I've misunderstood your argument I invite you to clarify. But it seems to me that the disjunction you've offered does not exhaust the space of possible explanations. What if N.'s direct application of TK is needed to preserve the ship from shear forces involved in (sublight) acceleration and Hyperspace travel? The difference between a reaction force caused by a human striding across the bridge and the energy applied by the ship's massive engines is one of many orders of magnitude. The spot-welding and rust-welding between components of the ship are likely sufficient to survive the incidental vibrations from a person walking inside the ship. Hell, inertia alone is probably enough to soak a few hundred pound person's reaction energy.

However, this level of structural integrity does not guarantee survival in any accelerating maneuver involving enough force to move the entire millions-of-tons ship. It certainly doesn't guarantee the survival of the Ravager while traversing a gravity well that fused several planets (?) together and doomed multiple fleets. It does not guarantee survival during the entry/exit of hyperspace. Those are cases where the ship was under the thumb of an eldritch grip: N.'s large-scale TK with a demonstrated application of force (in the physicist's sense) that far exceeds all but the very uppermost tier of practitioners.

Both in the retrieval and the transport of the Ravager, N. has the single best TK strength and control feat that I know of.

The_Tempest
I see the Golden state has emboldened you, Nebraskan.

Tread lightly. uhuh

Anyway, you grasp the essence of my objections quite nicely: the {unproven!} notion that N.'s TK is literally preserving the vessel's structural integrity is quite blatantly contradicted by its enduring state upon N.'s death.

In the face of such a contradiction, you've offered one or two theories which still fail to establish to what degree {if any} N.'s brute TK is at play. Theories, I'll remind you, I'm not obligated to disprove.

But speaking of broad space of possible explanation, your claim of N.'s retrieval of the vessel is similarly premature. There is no evidence that N. achieved such a feat unaided, either by malachor's potent nexus or the presence of other various sith acolytes stranded on the planet. We've seen similar outlier TK feats performed before by a group of neophytes {I invite you to reacquaint yourself with the story of Borsk81 and his defeat of Pellaeon's fleet of star destroyers}.

If you seek to claim N.'s TK mastery, you must first establish it beyond a series of flimsy notions. excellent

Zampanó
I see the Golden state has emboldened you, Nebraskan.

Tread lightly. uhuh

Anyway, you grasp the essence of my objections quite nicely: the {unproven!} notion that N.'s TK is literally preserving the vessel's structural integrity is quite blatantly contradicted by its enduring state upon N.'s death.

In the face of such a contradiction, you've offered one or two theories which still fail to establish to what degree {if any} N.'s brute TK is at play. Theories, I'll remind you, I'm not obligated to disprove.
I'm not telling you to disprove anything. I'm just observing that your attempt to undermine the feat is logically unsound. The disjunction at the heart of the argument is a false statement.

I will not dispute the presence of a nexus. Sure. But the simple fact is that N. himself is a nexus, in much the same way that Palpatine himself is a nexus. So that doesn't seem to impinge on N.'s abilities except maybe to the degree that any character's performance has a high variance. (A second response is that all integrity-maintaining efforts in deep-space would take place away from a distinct nexus...)

I'm interested in your proposal to spread credit for the lifting of the Ravager (which is undeniably impressive) across N. and some of the Sith Assasins we see on the planet. Kreia describes their abilities as being dependent upon their victims' own Force connection. So they would be fundamentally only a reflection of N.'s Force power.

There is another question as to whether the problem of fine-control would be spread across many participants. It seems to me (on first glance) that the quote specifies that N. himself hauled the Ravager from the gravity well. No mention of assistance or ritual.

The_Tempest
I'm simply making note of a blatant contradiction that is nonetheless routinely overlooked in attempts made by you and others to casually assert N's
s victory. The prevailing claim is that the Ravager's structural integrity owes itself to N's TK. Evidence shows that the integrity endures even in the absence of that phenomenon.

This pleases me. excellent

I recall that you've made this claim before; I also recall you conceding it. do you now have proof of such a bold claim?

Where does kreia attribute the totality of the sith assassins' Force power as being entirely dependent upon their victims' Force connection? mmm

statements like "he tore the vessel from the mass shadows of malachor" doesn't preclude the presence of external aid anymore than my textbook's reference to "Hitler's inexorable march towards stalingrad" precludes the presence of Wehrmacht troops.

{In fact, it doesn't actually require Hitler himself to be personally present.}

SunRazer
It's not their totality, but she says very clearly that the stronger their victims' Force connections are, the stronger they become.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.