Eurogamer: Konami ceases triple-A console production on all but PES

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

-Pr-
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-09-18-konami-ceases-triple-a-console-production-on-all-but-pes-report

I don't always agree with Jim Sterling, but in this case? **** Konami. **** them in their ****ing ********, those cheap, stupid, ********** mother****ers.

PES is barely on the radar anymore after they ****ed it up, not to mention how they're lying on Steam to cover up bad reviews and the fact that it was a port of the PS3/360 version.

Solid47
That's why Kojima decided to leave Konami.

Jmanghan
What the **** is PES?

Jmanghan
Does anyone wanna bet how fast they'll go bankrupt?

I give them a year.

THQ recently went down, soon enough Konami will go down with them.

BackFire
They won't go bankrupt for a while, if at all. They make a good deal of their current revenue off of Japanese gambling machines that they make using their IP's.

Though I don't really believe they're out of the console business. They just said a few months ago that they planned to make more MGS and Silent Hill games for consoles.

I think what's more likely is that they'll use The Phantom Pain as a base to build on and release MGS games annually or semi-annually, like Assassin's Creed of Call of Duty or presumably Far Cry. The next Metal Gear game will probably play a lot like Phantom Pain. That's my guess anyways.

If they are intent on actually exiting the console business I really hope they sell the rights to their IP's to other companies who are interested in them. It would be a shame for something as major as Metal Gear to just rot.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Jmanghan
What the **** is PES?

Pro Evolution Soccer; FIFA's only real competition and, imo, generally a better game.

Originally posted by BackFire
They won't go bankrupt for a while, if at all. They make a good deal of their current revenue off of Japanese gambling machines that they make using their IP's.

Though I don't really believe they're out of the console business. They just said a few months ago that they planned to make more MGS and Silent Hill games for consoles.

I think what's more likely is that they'll use The Phantom Pain as a base to build on and release MGS games annually or semi-annually, like Assassin's Creed of Call of Duty or presumably Far Cry. The next Metal Gear game will probably play a lot like Phantom Pain. That's my guess anyways.

If they are intent on actually exiting the console business I really hope they sell the rights to their IP's to other companies who are interested in them. It would be a shame for something as major as Metal Gear to just rot.

I hope we get more MGS on the one hand, but on the other, no Kojima doing it just seems... Wrong.

Jmanghan
It's probably gonna be bad.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire

Good question. If they are trying to get out then I would assume they would eventually sell them. Maybe in a few years when they are truly done but that would mean any revenue from their IP's would go away.

In the end, do we know how well Konami was doing? Who knows. Triple AAA development is ridiculously expensive and if MGSV cost $80 million to make, maybe it's not worth it.

Well they did say they wanted to make more MGS and Silent Hill, it could of been the case of not wanting to have black cloud hanging over Phantom Pain head when it was released. Or they just decided based on Phantom Pain numbers that it's not worth it....

There must be a reason.

-Pr-
They see more money in those bloody Pachinko missions, and iirc they said the future was in mobile gaming.

Tzeentch
Konami makes the majority of their money off of gambling machines in Japan, as BF touched on, so the loss of vidya revenue isn't really a huge blow for them.

I did a quick glance at the current IP's under Konami and it seems that the only title worth a damn is MGS, so **** 'em. Nothing of value is lost imo.

Smasandian
Yeah, and even if Konami was staying in the business, would they make another MGS?

They said they would but would you trust them? Probably not. I was never a big fan and while I think Phantom Pain is fantastic but the series is catering to fans that remember playing the original MGS. Would kids in the next 5 years want to play the series? Who knows.

I don't remember where I heard or saw it but I think each Metal Gear Solid game sold less units than the previous versions and I expect each version cost more than the last. If that's true, why would Konami make another? Let alone let Kojima develop it.

Ridley_Prime
Originally posted by Tzeentch
Konami makes the majority of their money off of gambling machines in Japan, as BF touched on, so the loss of vidya revenue isn't really a huge blow for them.

I did a quick glance at the current IP's under Konami and it seems that the only title worth a damn is MGS, so **** 'em. Nothing of value is lost imo.
Castlevania begs to differ.

Adam Grimes
And Silent Hill.

Bentley
I don't mind them losing AAA titles that much. The Silent Hill franchise is probably the one that will suffer the most for it, but since it's currently non-existing, I can't say it will change that much.

But I hope they try to at least good cheap titles. Revive Suikoden for example you damn ****s.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Bentley
I don't mind them losing AAA titles that much. The Silent Hill franchise is probably the one that will suffer the most for it, but since it's currently non-existing, I can't say it will change that much.

But I hope they try to at least good cheap titles. Revive Suikoden for example you damn ****s. The way I see it is, would you rather a game stay dead and stay awesome? Or be revived and be tainted?

It's one of my biggest worries with Dissidia, and FFVII Remake.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
Castlevania begs to differ.

Originally posted by Adam Grimes
And Silent Hill.

And PES, at least in the sense that it used to be something special. it could be again.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
The way I see it is, would you rather a game stay dead and stay awesome? Or be revived and be tainted?

It's one of my biggest worries with Dissidia, and FFVII Remake.

Yeah, they could so easily **** up FF7.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by -Pr-
And PES, at least in the sense that it used to be something special. it could be again.

Yeah, they could so easily **** up FF7. Anyone, they might close off making Silent Hill games altogether.

Not giving them any real profit and not too many people cared about Downpour.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.