Best Movie Theater Experiences

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Livingtitan
What's the best experience you've had watching a movie in theaters?

First thing that pops to mind was the midnight showing of Dark Knight.

Crowd was into it and during the batpod scene people lost their shit.

Another memorable experience was How to Train Your Dragon in Imax, the flight scenes blew me away and I've never heard an audience full of kids so quiet/transfixed before.

jaden101
Got a few BJs and hand shandies at the cinema.

I'm guessing that's not what you mean though.

roughrider
The best movie theatre going experiences of my life include:

- The Empire Strikes Back in 1980. Though a fan of Star Wars already, this was the film that turned me into a lifelong movie fan.

- Seeing Return Of The Jedi in 1983, a morning screening because the regular showings were completely sold out. Never screamed and cheered with so many people at the same time before.

- Having the entire Original Star Wars Trilogy return to the big screen in 1997 in the Special Edition. It felt like getting the Beatles reunited and touring in their prime.

- Saving Private Ryan in 1998. Felt like I was buried in the back of my seat by the end.

- The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy in 2001-03. It was like watching Star Wars again as a boy, even though I read the books and knew the outcome.

- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith in 2005. The best of the prequels and rivals the best of the Original Trilogy.

- The Dark Knight in 2008. Went for a great thoughtful action movie and came out overwhelmed with so much more than I expected.

- Marvel's Avengers in 2012. An incredible bulls eye that kept on giving us awesomeness scene after scene.

- Gravity in 2013. My jaw hit the floor 5 minutes in and stayed there the rest of the film.

- Mad Max: Fury Road this year. So intense a theatre experience, I thought I was going to have a heart attack by the climax.

Mindset
roughrider, you're old as shit, man. thumb up

Firefly218
The first Avengers

Ascendancy
Star Wars

Avengers

Prometheus

Interstellar

Jurassic Park

Matrix

Lord of the Rings

Zack M
Grindhouse. Tarantino and Rodriguez.

marwash22
Originally posted by jaden101
Got a few BJs and hand shandies at the cinema.

robtart's not gonna appreciate you putting his business out on front street.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by marwash22
robtart's not gonna appreciate you putting his business out on front street.

In Rob's defence...he was only showing how to train a dragon.

jaden101
Originally posted by Esau Cairn
In Rob's defence...he was only showing how to train a dragon.

Are you implying that my penile erector is some kind of flying, fire breathing lizard?

Esau Cairn
Yes & can I err pat it?

dynamix
hmm...i have to say Avengers and The Sixth Sense. Theater was so hyped during Avengers. Before the movie started, these group of kids in Avengers outfit went to the front of the theater and started doing fight choreography lol. The whole theater went crazy and really set the tone for a great movie and movie experience. The Sixth Sense...there was this dread in the theater. Each scare scene got a reaction from the audience, not just from the actual scare but the build up too. Then when the final reveal was shown, the whole theater gave like this collective "Oh shit" lol. it was pretty awesome.

roughrider
Originally posted by Mindset
roughrider, you're old as shit, man. thumb up

I prefer experienced, and worldly. big grin Age is just a number; I feel pretty much the same as I did when I was a teenager.

Flyattractor
Jeepers Creepers. First Time I ever had an entire theater to myself.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Flyattractor
What did you do... inside that theater... all by yourself? confused

Prometheus - Was great seeing very little from the trailers. Was truly epic on a massive IMAX 3D screen.

Mad Max: Fury Road - Was amazing in 3D, but hindered somewhat by low volume in my theater; won't make that mistake again.

Chronicles of Riddick - think I saw it about 4 or 5 times in the theater, matinees were cheaper back then.

Immortals - looked fantastic on a big screen in 3D, loved the visual style, far superior to 300 imo.

Life of Pi - Great big screen 3D film.

John Wick - Just an excellent action film with superb direction and lots of style.

Planet Terror half of Grindhouse - Plus the humorous trailers were entertaining. Tarantino's movie sucked.

Guardians of the Galaxy - nuff said

Jurassic World - Actually rather enjoyed the spectacle.

Clash of the Titans - because it was bad, cheap showing, drank every time they said "Kraken" and made fun of it the whole time. laughing

Estacado
Hellboy.
Dumbasses forgot to switch off the phuckin light by the time they realised movie was halfway through....ermm

Then they started it all over again...

Kazenji
That sounds more like the "worst" then the best Movie Theater Experience.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by roughrider
The best movie theatre going experiences of my life include:

- The Empire Strikes Back in 1980. Though a fan of Star Wars already, this was the film that turned me into a lifelong movie fan.

- Seeing Return Of The Jedi in 1983, a morning screening because the regular showings were completely sold out. Never screamed and cheered with so many people at the same time before.

- Having the entire Original Star Wars Trilogy return to the big screen in 1997 in the Special Edition. It felt like getting the Beatles reunited and touring in their prime.

- Saving Private Ryan in 1998. Felt like I was buried in the back of my seat by the end.

- The Lord Of The Rings Trilogy in 2001-03. It was like watching Star Wars again as a boy, even though I read the books and knew the outcome.

- Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith in 2005. The best of the prequels and rivals the best of the Original Trilogy.

- The Dark Knight in 2008. Went for a great thoughtful action movie and came out overwhelmed with so much more than I expected.

- Marvel's Avengers in 2012. An incredible bulls eye that kept on giving us awesomeness scene after scene.

- Gravity in 2013. My jaw hit the floor 5 minutes in and stayed there the rest of the film.

- Mad Max: Fury Road this year. So intense a theatre experience, I thought I was going to have a heart attack by the climax.

Those are some nice reflections. when you first saw, Empire in the theaters did you know how it was going to end? I've heard that the ending had made some spoiler rounds through a small portion of the audience. I hate how the information age makes it so difficult to contain and preserve a movie until it's unveiling.

I too would have to mention, Saving Private Ryan and the Lord of the Rings as some of the most impactful movie going experiences. I remember walking out of, Saving private Ryan as an adolescent feeling slightly desensitized.

I have to mention Lord of the Rings as well. That was a unique and satisfying event that gave a visual definition to the fantasy genre.

A few other cinema experiences that always come to mind are...,

Jurassic Park-
Movie going experiences don't get much better

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Seeing those incredible, Jim Henson costumes on screen in the foreground of a serious and sometimes gritty movie was euphoric to my adolescent mind

Rumble in the Bronx.
I went to see this movie blind. I didn't know anything about the movie or even, Jackie Chan but i was about twelve years old and i wanted to see a kung-fu movie. This movie set the standard of which i would judge all future martial arts movies and stars.

jinXed by JaNx
Originally posted by Flyattractor

Jeepers Creepers is another another movie that i went into blind. I was more than pleasantly surprised with that movie. I really really liked that movie until i bought it on dvd and realized that Victor salva sad

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Kazenji
That sounds more like the "worst" then the best Movie Theater Experience.
Look up the word "irony," Kaz. It's a word you should add to your vocabulary. wink

Kazenji
Meh.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Kazenji
Meh.

OMG it's like reading Shakespeare!

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.