Is Shadow of Mordor canon to the LoTR universe?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
The much-beloved LoTR game that rocked the PS4 back in 2014.

Had a pretty good story IMO, but, one question...

Is it canon?

It contradicts some things, like Gollum being alive, and stuff.

Phoenix2001
Not Canon.

The reason Gollum is alive is because the game is set between the events of the Hobbit and the Fellowship of the Ring

Jmanghan
Huh?

I thought it was set hundreds and hundreds of years after RoTK??

ares834
No.

Phoenix2001
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Huh?

I thought it was set hundreds and hundreds of years after RoTK??

no expression

Not sure how you came to that conclusion... with, you know, Sauron and Mordor still hanging around...

KingD19
It's as canon as it can be, but most people say "Tolkien didn't write it, so it's not true canon" about everything.

Phoenix2001
Originally posted by KingD19
It's as canon as it can be, but most people say "Tolkien didn't write it, so it's not true canon" about everything.

It's either canon, or it's not. There is no "true canon" or "as canon as it can be." If Tolkien didn't write it, then it's not canon.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Phoenix2001
It's either canon, or it's not. There is no "true canon" or "as canon as it can be." If Tolkien didn't write it, then it's not canon. Tolkien's been dead for a very
very long time, my friend.

StiltmanFTW
For those obsessed with what's canon and what's not, even The Silmarillion is not considered canon.

Just don't worry about it and enjoy the game.

NewGuy01
At best, you could say it's canon to the movie universe. Even then you're left dealing with a number of inconsistencies, though.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.