Song Versus - Stand by Me vs My Girl

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Ben E. King's Legendary Hit song "Stand by Me", vs The OG Temptations song - My Girl.

Whch one hits you the hardest, sounds the best, and all-around, is the best?

Scribble
Both are great, great songs, but I'm going for Stand by Me. Ben E. King's voice is nearly (nearly) Otis Redding-tier, and the chord progression is ****ing great. Television reused the chord progression effectively in their song Prove It, just shows how timeless a chord progression it is when a late '70s punk/new wave band can take it and appropriate it so well.

dynamix
i simply chose Stand by me for its mood, atmosphere and depth. I love how Ben E King's voice had this slight echo giving the song this very cold reflective feel really emphasizing the "night has come" line. Gave me chills...literally lol. And i love the little orchestra bridge midway through the song. My Girl is a great ode to the 'walking on cloud 9' feel when ur in love, and possibly the best to ever do it, but, i feel, Stand By Me not only explore the 'superhuman' feeling you get from love, ironically, the song somehow was able to examined this weak, vulnerable, almost lonely feeling, not by any words or lyrics but in a 'read between the line' kind of way. These bars really accentuate that aspect of the song

"I won't cry, i won't cry...no i won't shed a tear. Just as long, as u stand, stand by me."

lol, it was almost saying, you're all i have, please don't leave me ha.

In other words, where My Girl is an optimistic praise, Stand By Me was a cautionary plea. Both dope songs though.

RanebowSmack
I like them both but stand by me is a little bit better.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.