Judge jails abuse victim for not testifying

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Surtur
So yeah this is a thing that happened:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-judge-jails-domestic-abuse-victim-not-testifying-n441331

I understand being upset someone won't testify against an abuser..but this is a little much.

Keep in mind that isn't even the most disturbing thing. The guy who did this choked her and threatened her with a knife while she was holding their child..and he got 16 days in jail. He also had a prior charge and yet he gets a 16 day sentence.

Bashar Teg
Florida.

Mindset
Disbar him and have him fight in the arena for my amusement.

Surtur
Originally posted by Mindset
Disbar him and have him fight in the arena for my amusement.

Surprisingly the judge is female.

Q99
Originally posted by Surtur
Surprisingly the judge is female.

Yea, messed up views on this stuff aren't limited to one gender.

Surtur
It makes you wonder if there will be any consequences for the judge.

Omega Vision
Awful judge, she should lose her job.

Surtur
I wonder could the woman sue?

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Surtur
So yeah this is a thing that happened:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/florida-judge-jails-domestic-abuse-victim-not-testifying-n441331

I understand being upset someone won't testify against an abuser..but this is a little much.

Keep in mind that isn't even the most disturbing thing. The guy who did this choked her and threatened her with a knife while she was holding their child..and he got 16 days in jail. He also had a prior charge and yet he gets a 16 day sentence.

He got that sentence because his wife refused to testify. She was the only witness as to him wielding the knife, etc, so without her testimony there was very little that he could be forced to cop to.

As to the judge, I dunno. I mean the woman called the police because she was in fear for her and her child's safety, but she refused to act in a manner afterwards to ensure their continued safety. She made a statement and had charges pressed against her husband, then didn't follow through. Being a complete devil's advocate here she wasted the state's time and money with this, and she's putting herself and her child right back in the same situation by doing nothing.

It is harsh, but a few days in jail may remind her that by not following through that she may lose her child and lose her life in more ways than one if she continues in the situation that she's in.

To those saying the judge should be fired, sued, etc., sorry, but the judge followed the law here by all appearances. There is nothing so egregious that it appears worthy of any action legal or otherwise, at least as of now.

Surtur
First off let us ignore that in the end the judge punished the victim.

Second he didn't get that sentence because she refused to testify. Article says he was arrested on April 2 for the incident and was in jail 16 days. It also says the woman was in court in late July for failing to appear the week before.

Thus even if she had tried to testify it would of been months after the guy had been released.

Ascendancy
It said that she took some classes and asked that the charges be dropped, but she still did not show up for the original court date, and it stated in the on air report that he was given the deal because she did not show up to testify.

"Seminole County Judge Jerri Collins can been seen on video criticizing the victim and sentencing her to three days in jail for failing to come to court to testify against Myles Maynard Brennan, the father of the woman's 1-year-old son."

Tattoos N Scars
She was jailed on a contemt charge?

Henry_Pym
I like how no evidence means he is guilty.

Either

A.) she is endangering a minor- which is jail-able
Or
B.) she made a false report- which is jail-able

Not sure why we should care?

Ascendancy
He had a history of it, he took a plea and admitted to the minimum that he could. That he did it isn't in question.

Surtur
Originally posted by Ascendancy
It said that she took some classes and asked that the charges be dropped, but she still did not show up for the original court date, and it stated in the on air report that he was given the deal because she did not show up to testify.

"Seminole County Judge Jerri Collins can been seen on video criticizing the victim and sentencing her to three days in jail for failing to come to court to testify against Myles Maynard Brennan, the father of the woman's 1-year-old son."

Which makes no sense if he was arrested april 2nd, served 16 days, and she wasn't set to testify until July. How would her not testifying allow him to be released early if she wouldn't of had a chance to testify until long after he was released?

Unless the article got the dates wrong.

Ascendancy
I think it got the dates wrong, unless for some crazy reason that was the earliest they could get a court date for the wife.

Robtard
Originally posted by Henry_Pym
I like how no evidence means he is guilty.

Either

A.) she is endangering a minor- which is jail-able
Or
B.) she made a false report- which is jail-able

Not sure why we should care?

Good job blaming the victim thumb up

"Brennan, who has a prior domestic abuse conviction, was sentenced to 16 days in jail after pleading no contest to simple battery." -snip

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.