Speaker of the House

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Who would be your pick.

BackFire
lol @ the poll.

Paul Ryan seems to be the popular pick. But he says he doesn't want it. Will see.

Time-Immemorial
In case you didn't know you don't have to be a representative to be the speaker.

BackFire
Is that true? I didn't know that.

Has there ever been a speaker of the house who wasn't a representative?

Q99
There's only one on that list who has a chance and he doesn't want it. They'll have to heavily bribe him if they want him to throw his hat in...

Paul Ryan's current position is almost as powerful, gives him time to go see his kids every weekend, and better sets him up for future president or VP runs than House Speaker does (despite the high position they almost never move on). Plus right now the Republicans are divided enough that whoever gets it will take a lot of in-party fire.

So his reasoning is pretty much the same as McCarthy's.

Originally posted by BackFire
Is that true? I didn't know that.

Has there ever been a speaker of the house who wasn't a representative?

It's true, and I don't think so. Even if it's possible, the House wouldn't particularly want an outsider.

I bet that, say, Eric Cantor (former next in line for the job before he got primaried out), could get it if the Freedom Caucus wasn't just as much against him as they are against Boehner and McCarthy, since he's 'close enough,' but we're some way from an outsider being in the running, especially since the current divide wouldn't be solved by picking an outsiders.

Digi
Honestly, I think there's only one man who should be considered for the role.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Digi
Honestly, I think there's only one man who should be considered for the role.

thumb up

Time-Immemorial
Cena would be good too.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Cena would be good too.

Do you think he'd shut the government down, like you want?

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
Do you think he'd shut the government down, like you want?

You dont live here why would you care if we shut our government down to balance the budget?

Bardock42
You dont live here why would you care if we shut our government down to balance the budget?

Government shutdowns of a large nation have effects all over the world. At any rate, you know that I'm interested in American politics, and I have told you that I desire for America to be a great country because I like a lot for what it stands for.

Time-Immemorial
Government shutdowns of a large nation have effects all over the world. At any rate, you know that I'm interested in American politics, and I have told you that I desire for America to be a great country because I like a lot for what it stands for.

Shows how ignorant you are. Its does not effect the world, even in shutdowns the government never shuts down, your a fanatic.

Omega Vision
Shows how ignorant you are. Its does not effect the world, even in shutdowns the government never shuts down, your a fanatic.
It does effect the world in a big way if it weakens the credibility and image of the United States abroad. There are also things like stock markets and investor confidence which would be adversely effected by a government shutdown. It's like you don't even consider these things--just like the Republicans.

Bardock42

"affect"

And of course it affects the world in some ways, it's just silly to claim otherwise. You pretend like it's just a "fix all problems" button and Obama is just too mean to not use it...which is just idiotic.

Time-Immemorial
"affect"

And of course it affects the world in some ways, it's just silly to claim otherwise. You pretend like it's just a "fix all problems" button and Obama is just too mean to not use it...which is just idiotic.

This is a non starter.

Bardock42
You know, you don't have to reply if you don't have a valid one...

Time-Immemorial
You know, you don't have to reply if you don't have a valid one...

Explain what you know about our government, considering you don't even live here or have a vote.

Bardock42
Explain what you know about our government, considering you don't even live here or have a vote.

What does that even mean? Do you want me to explain how your government is structured? What bodies there are? What positions? How voting is done? How taxes are collected and spent?

I have a 11 years track record of talking about US affairs on here, if you want to call out a specific area I don't know about then do that, if you just want to know what my knowledge level is read my history, tbh we have enough interactions that you should have some sense of what I know about the American system.

Time-Immemorial
What does that even mean? Do you want me to explain how your government is structured? What bodies there are? What positions? How voting is done? How taxes are collected and spent?

I have a 11 years track record of talking about US affairs on here, if you want to call out a specific area I don't know about do that, if you just want to know what my knowledge level is read my history, tbh we have enough interactions that you should have some sense of what I know about the American system.

Yet you have zero clue about our system or racial issues, you come from the most biggoted country in the world.

Bardock42
Yet you have zero clue about our system or racial issues, you come from the most biggoted country in the world.

Okay, obviously I disagree on all three accounts.

Back to speakers, would you actually like George Clooney as speaker? Where did that suggestion come from?

Time-Immemorial
Okay, obviously I disagree on all three accounts.

Back to speakers, would you actually like George Clooney as speaker? Where did that suggestion come from?

Why do you disagree, Germany has a history of backwards politics and racial biggotry.

George Clooney was a joke, are you unaware of what a joke is?

snowdragon
Bill Maher for Speaker and Trump for President.

Best Ever

Bardock42
Germany has a 60 year record of peaceful, and relatively social politics. It is well regarded and respected by the international community. Not that I care, cause I'm not nationalist, you're just wrong about your assessment.

I know what a joke is, and it did seem like a joke when you made it in the other thread, but then you made a whole thread about it and actually put him in the poll as one of only 5 options, which, you must admit, is bizarre.

Time-Immemorial
Germany has a 60 year record of peaceful, and relatively social politics. It is well regarded and respected by the international community. Not that I care, cause I'm not nationalist, you're just wrong about your assessment.

I know what a joke is, and it did seem like a joke when you made it in the other thread, but then you made a whole thread about it and actually put him in the poll as one of only 5 options, which, you must admit, is bizarre.

Have you looked at your profile pic, or your location, thats bizarre. I put it in the thread cause Q99 and me were taking about it, and I thought it was funny. Not that I have to explain myself to the likes of the despicable person you are though.

Bardock42
Have you looked at your profile pic, or your location, thats bizarre. I put it in the thread cause Q99 and me were taking about it, and I thought it was funny. Not that I have to explain myself to the likes of the despicable person you are though.

What do my profile picture and my location have to do with anything?

And yet you do explain yourself to me, funny how that works. But it's fine I'm glad you clarified now that Clooney was a joke. Is Bill Maher also a joke, are there any non-joke candidates in your poll?

Q99

It doesn't entirely shut down, but it directly cost us about 30 billion dollars last time, and indirectly has a variety of other effects on the economy and similar.

And it does make the country look bad.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Q99
It doesn't entirely shut down, but it directly cost us about 30 billion dollars last time, and indirectly has a variety of other effects on the economy and similar.

And it does make the country look bad.

Who cares we have nukes remember?laughing out loud

Newt actually balanced the budget last time it was shut down properly and clinton got the credit for it.

I think Sean Hannity would be a great speaker though, He actually has a fiscal plan that makes sense. Cut one penny out of every federal dollar spent for the next 6 years as well as allow corporations a one time credit to bring their money back here from over seas, he calls it "repatriating the money" and cut the corporate tax to 15% which would make companies from around the world invest in america and keep their corporations here cause we would have the lowest corporate tax rate in th world, thus stimulating the economy with jobs. This would give us a surplus and stop this $9 trillion in the hole Obama has gotten us in. Which btw Boehner and Ryan are responsible for as well.

Bardock42
And if the US economy is negatively affected that means Germany and particularly Volkswagen can't export as much to the US, affecting my country as well...

Pretty inconsiderate.

Time-Immemorial
I dont get this, he said he isn't running, is the media lying to sway opinion to possibly try and make him run.

It couldn't be more clear, he said "I'm not doing it."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/09/politics/house-speaker-race-paul-ryan/

SayWhat
I thought you to have to be a House member to be speaker. I suppose if there is a vacancy a governor could nominate somebody to finish term.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by SayWhat
I thought you to have to be a House member to be speaker. I suppose if there is a vacancy a governor could nominate somebody to finish term.

This was already established you do not have to be a house member to be speaker. Hence why you can have a speaker and a majority leader in the same party.

SayWhat
Anyway, all of them seem a bit polarizing.

Time-Immemorial
Its a Game of Thrones.

Bardock42
Well, it's going to be a polarising figure with the way the Republican party currently stands. I think Ryan is the most reasonable, but I can understand why he doesn't want the job, could potentially harm his career.

SayWhat
Well, it's going to be a polarising figure with the way the Republican party currently stands. I think Ryan is the most reasonable, but I can understand why he doesn't want the job, could potentially harm his career.

Other then SOH, I see his career going no further than Senator, possibly Cabinet position. I don't see GOP wining POTUS, still a rich white person's party with trickle down theory.

SayWhat
Jonathan Stuart Leibowitz , why not, the Jews should be in charge of the House .

Q99
Originally posted by SayWhat
Other then SOH, I see his career going no further than Senator, possibly Cabinet position. I don't see GOP wining POTUS, still a rich white person's party with trickle down theory.

The Republicans certainly haven't given up on the idea though (and it isn't out of the question in the future), and Ryan's already gotten the VP nomination once. Emerging, unlike his partner, fairly unscathed as well. Give it 12 years and who knows?

snowdragon
Originally posted by Q99
The Republicans certainly haven't given up on the idea though (and it isn't out of the question in the future), and Ryan's already gotten the VP nomination once. Emerging, unlike his partner, fairly unscathed as well. Give it 12 years and who knows?

Trickle down does work if you can imagine the super wealthy just spritzing over the rest of the USA like their private toiletssmile

Q99
Yea, the economics are total bunk. I can't wait for that to sink in for people of *every* party.

Bardock42
I don't know, man. How can you be sure? We should try it at least another 3 or 4 times...

Q99
I don't know, man. How can you be sure? We should try it at least another 3 or 4 times...

29th time the charm, huh?

Q99
Here's an out-there idea for you- Boehner may be way, way smarter than we give him credit- and I mean, *any* of us ^^

He is, right now, the only candidate who can have the job without signing something absurd, the Freedom Caucus pledges do basically amount to "Once Speaker, I won't Speaker, I'll just plow the government into shutdown while making demands that will never be met. During election primaries."

Since no one is stepping up or can get the votes if they did, his 'I'll stay to you get a replacement,' can just mean, 'I will stay and you can no longer threaten to replace me because if you had a candidate I'd be retired already.' He can just kinda hang out in the job 'waiting for his replacement,' with all the worries about keeping it, woosh, right out the window.

Lame duck Boehner may be safer and less stressful than 'fighting for the job' Boehner ever was before.

Granted, I don't think Boehner has enough foresight to have done it on purpose, but wouldn't it be funny if it was actually a machiavellian plan to keep the job on his part?

StyleTime
True, and his hip hop name would be J. Beezy.

Q99
Originally posted by StyleTime
True, and his hip hop name would be J. Beezy.

He could start showing up to congress in a bathrobe and listening to music.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Q99
Here's an out-there idea for you- Boehner may be way, way smarter than we give him credit- and I mean, *any* of us ^^

He is, right now, the only candidate who can have the job without signing something absurd, the Freedom Caucus pledges do basically amount to "Once Speaker, I won't Speaker, I'll just plow the government into shutdown while making demands that will never be met. During election primaries."

Since no one is stepping up or can get the votes if they did, his 'I'll stay to you get a replacement,' can just mean, 'I will stay and you can no longer threaten to replace me because if you had a candidate I'd be retired already.' He can just kinda hang out in the job 'waiting for his replacement,' with all the worries about keeping it, woosh, right out the window.

Lame duck Boehner may be safer and less stressful than 'fighting for the job' Boehner ever was before.

Granted, I don't think Boehner has enough foresight to have done it on purpose, but wouldn't it be funny if it was actually a machiavellian plan to keep the job on his part?
Ahh, the old Sepp Blatter "pretend to resign and try to cling to power thanks to uncertainty over a viable successor" trick, except it might work because as far as I know Boehner isn't under any serious legal scrutiny.

Q99
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Ahh, the old Sepp Blatter "pretend to resign and try to cling to power thanks to uncertainty over a viable successor" trick, except it might work because as far as I know Boehner isn't under any serious legal scrutiny.

Yea, Boehner's either stepping down because he wants to, or if he actually called this reaction, baiting out just how hard to replace he actually is.

Q99

Time-Immemorial
Vote happening now

Time-Immemorial
Paul Ryan has been confirmed, he is the next speaker.

Bardock42
Paul Ryan has been confirmed, he is the next speaker.

How do you feel about it?

Time-Immemorial
How do you feel about it?

Not good actually, Paul Ryan decided to speak out against Trump on his ban all muslim comments, when Ryan knows they can get in with passports made by ISIS< and his refusal to denounce the attacks in California?

I knew this guy was a scum bag, but I didn't expect it to come out this early.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.