Body Cam Footage clearing cops in shooting death

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bardock42
With all the trigger-happy cops like Wilson, and vigilantes like Zimmermann, going above and beyond to shoot unarmed teenagers, it is very refreshing to see that some police officers know how to do their job.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/10/body-cam-footage-clears-cops-in-cleveland-shooting-death/

E7B03zLX4vM

It is very sad that it was not possible to talk the man down, but the officers behaved in an exemplary manner. It seems that body cam footage is really useful, not just to find cops that abuse their authority, but also to show when officers behave in good ways to clear them from any wrongdoings.

There should be a lot of respect for these officers. And all the more reason to sort the many bad seeds out.

FinalAnswer
Nah, Wilson was an exemplary cop, deserves a medal honestly.

AbnormalButSane
All police should wear body cams. It helps them as well as the community.

Good on these guys. Nobody is mad at police. People are fed up with racist corrupt cops.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bardock42
With all the trigger-happy cops like Wilson, and vigilantes like Zimmermann, going above and beyond to shoot unarmed teenagers, it is very refreshing to see that some police officers know how to do their job.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2015/10/body-cam-footage-clears-cops-in-cleveland-shooting-death/

E7B03zLX4vM

It is very sad that it was not possible to talk the man down, but the officers behaved in an exemplary manner. It seems that body cam footage is really useful, not just to find cops that abuse their authority, but also to show when officers behave in good ways to clear them from any wrongdoings.

There should be a lot of respect for these officers. And all the more reason to sort the many bad seeds out.

The only thing that backs up your claim is the falsified testimony that was thrown out of court.

Bardock42
This thread is about these good cops, doing their job right, unlike Wilson, do you have anything to say about that?

Time-Immemorial
With all the trigger-happy cops like Wilson

This was how you started your OP, so its a viable for discussion.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
This was how you started your OP, so its a viable for discussion.

Yeah, and I'm not telling you you can't discuss it, I'm just asking you if you have an opinion on the actual topic, rather than a throwaway line. I mean, why do you only show respect for cops when they kill unarmed teenagers? Are these guys, who did their job well not worthy of respect?

Time-Immemorial
Wilson was not trigger happy, the guy came into his car and tried to grab his gun.

Bardock42
Wilson was not trigger happy, the guy came into his car and tried to grab his gun.

So, no respect for these American heroes, okay noted.

Do you think police should be required to wear body cams?

Time-Immemorial
Of coarse they should.

Time-Immemorial
So, no respect for these American heroes, okay noted.

Do you think police should be required to wear body cams?

Prove I have no respect for these American heroes.

Bardock42
You refused to give them respect when directly asked. Your actions speak loudly, and it's not a pretty picture.

Do you think there should be more training how to resolve situations without using lethal force?

Time-Immemorial
You refused to give them respect when directly asked. Your actions speak loudly, and it's not a pretty picture.

Do you think there should be more training how to resolve situations without using lethal force?

Prove I dont respect American heroes.

Bardock42

This thread is here for everyone to see that you don't.

Maybe you should stop trying to derail this thread though. What do you think about my question regarding non-lethal force training?

Time-Immemorial

Bardock42
Look man, I don't like reporting people, and I'd rather you wouldn't get banned, but now you are just spamming this over and over, which is literally what you were warned for yesterday. Can you just drop that and talk about the topic?

I asked a question about your opinion on police training, that'd be a good jumping off point.

Time-Immemorial
Back you claim, prove I don't respect American heroes. You can't make claims then run from them.

What you are doing is throwing shit and then running from the result. I will report you.

Bardock42
I already made the case, you refuse to give them respect. I will not engage this question anymore.

Time-Immemorial
Give who respect? I said camera should be worn.

So back your claim.

You started it with the empty claims.

Bardock42
Give who respect? I said camera should be worn.

So back your claim.

You started it with the empty claims.

The police officers that do their job well. You refuse to give them the respect. You only voice your respect when unarmed, black teenagers are killed. It's pathetic.

And good about answering the camera question, maybe answer the training of non-lethal force question as well now...

Time-Immemorial
The police officers that do their job well. You refuse to give them the respect. You only voice your respect when unarmed, black teenagers are killed. It's pathetic.

And good about answering the camera question, maybe answer the training of non-lethal force question as well now...

Which cops did their job well? I have not seen you post anything related to that.

You still have not backed your claim that I dont respect American heroes.

You realize your trolling wont work right?

Bardock42
Which cops did their job well? I have not seen you post anything related to that.

You still have not backed your claim that I dont respect American heroes.

You realize your trolling wont work right?

So you didn't read the OP. I mean that explains a lot. I don't know, I still think it's mostly to do with the fact that you are a racist. You don't care about police officers, you just like it when they kill black people.

My trolling? You are the one that's been going off-topic, avoiding any discussion on topic in three separate threads now.

Time-Immemorial
So you didn't read the OP. I mean that explains a lot. I don't know, I still think it's mostly to do with the fact that you are a racist. You don't care about police officers, you just like it when they kill black people.

Reported

Time-Immemorial

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...shooting-death/

There should be a lot of respect for these officers. And all the more reason to sort the many bad seeds out"

Nothing about this OP referenced American Heroes. It was about cops wearing body cams, troll.

Bardock42
Seriously you don't need to inform me when you report me, you can just do it in quiet.

What I don't understand is this, I make a thread praising cops, you usually, because we only talk about cops shooting black teenagers really, tout that you are pro-cops. When cops actually behave in a great way, you are silent about their achievements and instead go off-topic, and spam the thread, making discussion difficult.

Bardock42

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...shooting-death/

There should be a lot of respect for these officers. And all the more reason to sort the many bad seeds out"

Nothing about this OP referenced American Heroes. It was about cops wearing body cams, troll.

You don't think good cops are American heroes?

Time-Immemorial
Until Ush comes in and deals with you, we are done. Your blatent trolling, and I am sure you will get a warning off your last remark.

Bardock42
Until Ush comes in and deals with you, we are done. Your blatent trolling, and I am sure you will get a warning off your last remark.

Okay, when you want to discuss the topic I'm willing to do so. I still think this is a great case that shows how cops can and should deal with these kinds of situations, and cops that aren't up to the standard should be let go, before more innocent people die.

Time-Immemorial
We will never speak again. You said yesterday you were going to cut out this confrontational trolling. You started up today with me for no reason. I will let a mod deal with you. But we will never speak again.

Bardock42
What I meant yesterday is that I will dial back on calling you a liar, even though I think it often applies. That was needlessly confrontational, although within the rules I'm sure. I will however state my opinion and since we disagree on almost everything that will lead to confrontation. If you think it's better for you to ignore me that's fine, I understand that.

If you do want to talk however, and not just spam and go off-topic feel free. Tbh, I thought this thread could be one we agree on in essence, but I think your dislike for me is stronger than any integrity to your values.

Impediment
This discussion has shifted away from the OP and needs to cease the back & forth.

Back to topic, please.

Newjak
Yeah cops should wear body cams and should probably be miced up as well. That way we can avoid confusion about what happened.

Bardock42
It feels a bit one sided regarding how and who shifted it away from the OP.

I guess I'll just rephrase all the points, regarding the topic of the thread I've made while trying to discuss the topic of my OP over the last two pages, as a starting point, if anyone wants to discuss them:

1. Cops can work harder to resolve issues peacefully.
2. Cops should receive more training and the culture should be more understanding about the ways that things can be resolved in non-lethal ways
3. Cops can definitely be in situations where lethal force is appropriate, but defaulting to it always being appropriate is dangerous.
4. We should respect real heroes, who do their job well, over people who made mistakes or did things actively wrong
5. There's racist aspects to why cops that shoot unarmed, black teenagers are glorified
6. The cops that give the police force a bad name need to be weeded out
7. Body cameras are a good tool that can help both good cops and the community that they are meant to serve. It holds police officers accountable, and can create trust that had previously been lost.
8. Police officers should receive more training how to deal with people with mental health problems. These people are disproportionately affected by police shootings and it should be a requirement for every officer to attend seminars that teach ways to resolve situations that include the mentally ill.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Newjak
Yeah cops should wear body cams and should probably be miced up as well. That way we can avoid confusion about what happened.

Yea its pretty common sense they should from now on, but does that make what happened with Brown non justified because there was no camera? We could go further and say "does nothing happen the way it said it happened without a camera."

I saw your other posts in the the other thread, and it appears you think/thought that what wilson did was not justified. Or am I mistaken? I wouldn't want to assume based on what you said.

Impediment
By all means, Bardock, continue your discussion. I don't want this thread to be derailed any further.

Newjak
Yea its pretty common sense they should from now on, but does that make what happened with Brown non justified because there was no camera? We could go further and say "does nothing happen the way it said it happened without a camera."

I saw your other posts in the the other thread, and it appears you think/thought that what wilson did was not justified. Or am I mistaken? I wouldn't want to assume based on what you said. No there are other ways to figure out what happened or that what someone is saying is not true.

But cameras is mics helps eliminate some of the more grey areas.

As to Officer Wilson I think the federal investigation showed that wilson did not act out accordance or in unjustified manners. Although they did mention that racial profiling and bias was shown to be a major problem in Fergueson over the years.

Of course anytime an unarmed person is killed I feel there needs to be a reevaluation of the protocols being used. For instance should there ever be an officer without a partner to help handle physical alterations. Why was his gun drawn first instead of a non lethal option.

I feel to often we like to demonize the the person killed as thugs and deserving of their fate. Even if brown was an ******* he did not deserve to die based on what we found out about him.

Time-Immemorial
He did not deserve to die based on his previous actions but after attacking a cop and going for his gun, he ended up dead, but the justice department cleared wilson and found no wrong doing, this is Obama's and Eric Holders DOJ. While Ferguson had its problems with racial profiling, its generalizing to say/think that Wilson did too. When evidence proves otherwise. Not saying you think this either.

Newjak
He did not deserve to die based on his previous actions but after attacking a cop and going for his gun, he ended up dead, but the justice department cleared wilson and found no wrong doing, this is Obama's and Eric Holders DOJ. While Ferguson had its problems with racial profiling, its generalizing to say that Wilson did too. When evidence proves otherwise. I already said the federal government cleared Wilson... also noted that the DoJ said that racial bias in the justice system had been an issue in Fergueson before.

I'm glad we agree that Mike Brown did not deserve to die based on previous actions. So how can we prevent such things from happening in the future? Should wilson have employed non lethal means in the beginning instead immediately going for his gun? Would he have felt less likely to do so if he had a partner with him? Would he also have felt less likely to want to use lethal options if he knew he was being recorded with a body cam?

That's where I'm going with this.

Bardock42
I think you make a good point. Like the issue is that some cops are just more willing, some even unconsciously, to shoot black people rather than white people. And that is something that needs to be counteracted. Education can be one part of it. But body cams as well, likely put a different level of what is appropriate into the mind of the police officer.

Time-Immemorial
I already said the federal government cleared Wilson... also noted that the DoJ said that racial bias in the justice system had been an issue in Fergueson before.

I'm glad we agree that Mike Brown did not deserve to die based on previous actions. So how can we prevent such things from happening in the future? Should wilson have employed non lethal means in the beginning instead immediately going for his gun? Would he have felt less likely to do so if he had a partner with him? Would he also have felt less likely to want to use lethal options if he knew he was being recorded with a body cam?

I edited before you posted.

Newjak
I edited before you posted. Fair enough but I don't feel that changes what I said. Wilson's actions may not have been racially motivated although they still may have... but the main issue with me is the first step lethal option he took against Brown.

Time-Immemorial
I already said the federal government cleared Wilson... also noted that the DoJ said that racial bias in the justice system had been an issue in Fergueson before.

On your point, you said could wilson have had a non lethal option?

If a large 6ft 3 man is beating the shit out of you and trying to take your gun, what options do you have under those circumstances.

Newjak
On your point, you said could wilson have had a non lethal option?

If a large 6ft 3 man is beating the shit out of you and trying to take your gun, what options do you have under those circumstances. Taser Pepper Spray, having backup to feel less overwhelmed.

Also Wilson was the same size as Brown.

Bashar Teg
Its weird how so many right wingers tend to condemn the idea of body cams...something that can further safeguard police officers against false accusations. Its almost as if they support false-accusing criminals as well as police corruption..

Time-Immemorial
Taser Pepper Spray, having backup to feel less overwhelmed.

Also Wilson was the same size as Brown.

That not how it went down though, he was inside his police car window, there was a struggle, and he was trying to keep him from getting his gun. There is no time to reach for pepper spray when you are struggling to keep someone from taking your gun. Why do you keep making excuses for Brown and saying "There must have been another way!"

Michael Brown: Age: 18; Height: 6' 5"; Weight: 289 lb. Officer Darren Wilson: age: 28; Height: 6'4"; Weight: 210 lb The Crime Scene:

Explain how they are the same size? When he is an inch taller and 80lbs heavier.

I can tell you are not spun up on all the facts here, maybe read some more and get spun up on this whole thing, because right now this is embarrassing.

Newjak
That not how it went down though, he was inside his police car window, there was a struggle, and he was trying to keep him from getting his gun. There is no time to reach for pepper spray when you are struggling to keep someone from taking your gun. Why do you keep making excuses for Brown and saying "There must have been another way!"

Michael Brown: Age: 18; Height: 6' 5"; Weight: 289 lb. Officer Darren Wilson: age: 28; Height: 6'4"; Weight: 210 lb The Crime Scene:

Explain how they are the same size? When he is an inch taller and 80lbs heavier.

I can tell you are not spun up on all the facts here, maybe read some more and get spun up on this whole thing, because right now this is embarrassing. Yet there was time to use the gun? Also like I said having backup would have helped.

Before you said Mike Brown was 6'3???

Also someone can be 80 pounds heavier but you can still be a lot of stronger if you are more fit. The point being the size difference wasn't as big as people would have you believe.

Time-Immemorial
Yet there was time to use the gun? Also like I said having backup would have helped.

Before you said Mike Brown was 6'3???

Also someone can be 80 pounds heavier but you can still be a lot of stronger if you are more fit. The point being the size difference wasn't as big as people would have you believe.

Oh my bad, so he's actually bigger then I thought. Now what?

Let me ask you think, do think a person sitting in the car behind a steering wheel has the advantage over someone outside the car?

Bardock42
Bit weird this is the second Darren Wilson thread now, feels like the other would be perfectly fine.

But just for reference on how likely it is that justice was done in the Grand Jury proceedings regarding Wilson:

"The New York Times described prosecutors' questioning of Wilson as "gentle" and said it contrasted with the sharp challenges to witnesses whose accounts seemed to contradict Wilson's, and reported that this had led some to question whether the process was as objective as McCulloch had claimed. The Times reported that prosecutors asked witness after witness if Brown appeared to be reaching for a weapon when confronting Wilson, though few of them said that. Furthermore, contradictions in testimony by Wilson and other law-enforcement officers were left unchallenged by prosecutors. CNN legal analyst Sunny Hostin criticized the prosecutors for asking softball questions during the cross examination of Wilson's testimony, and referred particularly to the fact that no witness could corroborate Wilson's story that he had warned Brown twice to lay down on the ground, and when asked, witnesses said that they did not hear him say that."

If police officers' lies go unchallenged and everything is done to discredit witnesses contradicting them of course there's not going to be a real unbiased process. Which is why the findings of the Jury are totally meaningless to the reality of the situation.

FinalAnswer
It's actually what you wanted though when you opened the thread with the comment about Wilson. This is a pretty blatant bait thread tbh.

Bardock42
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
It's actually what you wanted though when you opened the thread with the comment about Wilson. This is a pretty blatant bait thread tbh.

I also made a statement about Zimmermann, it was one throwaway line to give reason why I posted this thread (i.e. to provide a positive example of police conduct, because the general tone is that "liberals hate police"wink

I then further did not engage on any Wilson related arguments and tried to steer it back to points related to the article (body-cams, education about non-lethal ways to deal with situations, etc.)

So, yeah, I did mention Darren Wilson (an example, imo, of how not to deal with such a situation), but to call this a "bait thread" is absurd. If so it would be the most harmless bait thread in KMC history, with the alleged baiter going out of his way to avoid the "bait" topic. Really it's like people feel I should be held to a standard of complete objectivity because I don't usually make batshit insane posts like the actual bait threads that happen here every day.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by FinalAnswer

He had a interesting way of doing it to. Its my fault for taking the bait, he then flipped it on me accusing me of not thinking cops were hero's, saying I only think cops are good for killing black people or that they are not heroes, when I spend most my time here defending police. Its quiet shameful and extremely absurd. My neighbor is a detective, great guy too.

Bardock42
He had a interesting way of doing it to. Its my fault for taking the bait, he then flipped it on me accusing me of not thinking cops were hero's, saying I only think cops are good for killing black people or that they are not heroes, when I spend most my time here defending police. Its quiet shameful and extremely absurd. My neighbor is a detective, great guy too.

Yeah, I baited you with the magic words "Darren Wilson" to go on a two page spam session...we are equally to blame here, I have to adhere to standards akin to the objectivity of NPR, and you have to keep your spamming to 1 and a half pages maximum, fair is fair.

Time-Immemorial
Newjak, I am surprised to see you run off.

Ushgarak
Bardock, you may want to consider that the best threads are focussed threads; when you tie an issue into other issues- even if they are relevant and valid- all that tends to happen is that the subject becomes unfocussed and prone to distraction and you have a rubbish thread; that's why the shooting/misogyny thread was a disaster zone. A similar issue here, and don't pretend that you can't have foreseen that calling Wilson trigger happy was going to be provocative for many people.

I don't think you were trolling with it, I just don't think it was the right way to go. To put it in context, all you had to do was say something like "Amongst all the recent controversy about police shootings..." and then you have a nice neutral way in.

As it is- everyone, please don't make this thread about Wilson, despite its presence in te OP. Keep it to ths incident and bodycams, thanks.

Bardock42
Yeah, I can see the trigger-happy thing was provocative, and it was obviously inspired by the many recent threads, particularly the Wilson thread or I wouldn't even have made it.

With the other thread the misogyny angle was literally what I wanted to discuss in regards to it though, i just think that any discussion regarding misogyny is a minefield, but I'm not sure if that means we shouldn't have any, especially when it is such a widely discussed topic in the media recently, but almost absent from the GDF.

But while I can do better I just think I can't be held accountable for someone literally spamming the same post 4 times over and over.

SayWhat
Make it illegal for whites to be cops. Same for judges. That would end racial bias; although I wonder if more whites would go to jail. Probably not, lawyers have a way of winning cases regardless of color. Except for public defenders.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by SayWhat
Make it illegal for whites to be cops. Same for judges. That would end racial bias; although I wonder if more whites would go to jail. Probably not, lawyers have a way of winning cases regardless of color. Except for public defenders.

I guess you have not seen black people like carson, allen west being called racist against other blacks. So your point is invalid, and racist.

Bardock42
Black people can be racist, they just can't be racist against white people in the way that "racism" is used in sociology.

SayWhat
I guess there could be 50 shades of racism. But having no whites be in the justice would clip off a huge wing of racist allegations.

long pig
Zimmerman did nothing wrong. Act like a thug, get shot like a thug.

SayWhat
With Trayvon and MB, both were hardly sweet and innocent; yet in both cases it was bad security and police work. Zimmerman's role was to observe and report, not to pursuit suspects. Wilson, should have waited for back up before confronting MB. Both Zimmerman and Wilson put themselves in danger and both got a good beating for it and legally used lethal deadly force. Morally and ethically, however, they share a great role in their situations in happening by trying to do it alone.

Ushgarak
I made it very clear to keep this thread on topic, people.

long pig
Good to see body cameras used for good.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by long pig
Good to see body cameras used for good.

yeah not like all those times where body cams were used for evil.

StyleTime
Congratulations to Muniz, and the other officers, for this. As stated, they displayed an exceptional amount of restraint. Considering Muniz was actually shot once here, this encounter could've ended earlier without anyone holding them at fault. Despite that, they still tried to give the guy a chance to stand down.

I do wonder if training to deal with mentally ill/suicidal people would have any impact in situations like these.

Bardock42
Originally posted by StyleTime
Congratulations to Muniz, and the other officers, for this. As stated, they displayed an exceptional amount of restraint. Considering Muniz was actually shot once here, this encounter could've ended earlier without anyone holding them at fault. Despite that, they still tried to give the guy a chance to stand down.

I do wonder if training to deal with mentally ill/suicidal people would have any impact in situations like these.

I think it does, have you seen the "Last Week Tonight" episode on mental illness and gun violence:

NGY6DqB1HX8

It's very good.

Henry_Pym
Here is my only real contentions on body cams

1.) price
2.) conspiracy theorists

The first is obviously a major budget issue, when LA looked into body cams for all its officers, they found it would cost over a billion dollars. That is way outside their budget.

The second is more my worry. "Oh the footage has been doctored" and now we just are back at square one

Ushgarak
A BILLION? That's an extraordinary claim that will require more than just assertion- we need some sourced facts here about what that figure really means, on what scale, over what sort of time etc.

The second issue is irrelevant- conspiracy theorists of that magnitude are a fringe. Footage will convince the majority.

Surtur
So just to be clear..a cop is trigger happy if a dude goes to grab his gun and then the cop shoots said dude?

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/GD6qtc2_AQA/sddefault.jpg

Bardock42
Originally posted by Surtur
So just to be clear..a cop is trigger happy if a dude goes to grab his gun and then the cop shoots said dude?

It was a mistake to put that in the OP. If you want to discuss it we can use this thread: http://www.killermovies.com/forums/f11/t618510.html

Surtur
No man it's a mistake to put that anywhere.

EDIT: I didn't see Ush didn't want this being talked about, but seriously it was in the opening post. That is a mighty big elephant to ask people to ignore.

Bardock42
No man it's a mistake to put that anywhere.

EDIT: I didn't see Ush didn't want this being talked about, but seriously it was in the opening post. That is a mighty big elephant to ask people to ignore.

I disagree, if you would like to discuss it I will do so in the other thread.

What do you think about the officers in the video? They handled the situation exceptionally well, don't you think?

Surtur
Sure they did fine, but keep in mind a persons behavior changes if they know they are being filmed.

Bardock42
Sure they did fine, but keep in mind a persons behavior changes if they know they are being filmed.

Well, yes that's part of the point of this thread. Body-cameras have a positive influence on officers as well.

Bashar Teg

you seem to be suggesting that this is a bad thing.

Surtur
It's not bad, I just saw talk of heroes and stuff in the thread. Not to say they aren't.

Bashar Teg
tbh i don't care about unwarranted fanfair for people in uniform, as long as those being hailed are not actually psychopaths who took the job to be above the law and **** with people.

Surtur
I don't really care either..I just meant it's hard to judge if they'd behave like this no matter what or only because the camera's were rolling.

Makes me wonder about potential loopholes too. I guess loophole is the wrong word, but I wonder about...how hard are these body cams to destroy? Can they be hacked?

Bardock42
Some of them can be turned off, which is of course very suspicious.

Surtur
I'd wonder how they get turned off. Just because what if there was a way where a cop could say he accidentally switched it off.

Once cams become more and more prevalent it will be interesting to see the statistics of altercations with cops.

StyleTime
I think it does, have you seen the "Last Week Tonight" episode on mental illness and gun violence:

NGY6DqB1HX8

It's very good.
I don't watch the show, but that was interesting. The assertive community treatment program actually pays for itself by producing productive members of society. Hearing the bit about jails essentially being the de facto place for mental health treatment, as opposed to state funded mental health facilities is pretty ****ed.

Also, the psychiatrist saying "cray cray" at the beginning makes that entire video worth it.

Ascendancy
They may deescalate things in general. Cops would be more likely to consider how they apply force and how they interact with the public, and at least to some extent those involved in the officers would be more cognizant of the situation. The upside is mostly in policing the police, making sure that they follow procedure and remember protect & serve above all else.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.