Tea

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Digi
You might think this should be in the OTF. You'd be wrong. Tea is important. So let's discuss it.

Probably my favorite is Earl Grey. Quality can vary wildly, so I feel like you have to try at least 2-3 of any variety to confirm your opinion of it. I'm a fan of Bigelow's Earl Grey as my standby.

I recently discovered a brand called Ahmad tea. It's a Middle Eastern company, but it's very British tea varieties. Their "English Tea #1" and Earl Grey are excellent.

Morning tea has caffeine for me, and is usually black. Twinings makes a nice black tea variety pack. It's unspectacular but solid all-around. Evening tea is either green tea or herbal. One that I recently discovered is The Republic of Tea brand...their "Honey Ginseng Green Tea" is amazing. But expensive. I can only find it at a couple higher-end stores, or for ridiculous prices at places like Panera Bread.

I overdo any drink that I'm into. I used to drink too much juice. Then I got into soda/pop, which is horrible for you. I eventually segued into tea, which seems like the healthiest option available to me outside of plain water. I don't intend on becoming a coffee drinker because of my predilection for mild addiction. I never want to be the guy that needs a cup or two each morning to function. Tea is the middle ground there, where it helps but I don't need it.

Enough about me. What's your tea of choice? And, if you don't drink tea, why not? And when are you going to start?

ArtificialGlory
Tea makes me nauseous. Ice tea, on the other hand, is pretty good.

Mindset
I like tea.

-Pr-
Used to drink several mugs of tea a day. The closest to Irish tea that I can describe would be a very strong black tea with very little caffeine.

Originally posted by Digi
You might think this should be in the OTF. You'd be wrong. Tea is important. So let's discuss it.

Probably my favorite is Earl Grey. Quality can vary wildly, so I feel like you have to try at least 2-3 of any variety to confirm your opinion of it. I'm a fan of Bigelow's Earl Grey as my standby.

I recently discovered a brand called Ahmad tea. It's a Middle Eastern company, but it's very British tea varieties. Their "English Tea #1" and Earl Grey are excellent.

Morning tea has caffeine for me, and is usually black. Twinings makes a nice black tea variety pack. It's unspectacular but solid all-around. Evening tea is either green tea or herbal. One that I recently discovered is The Republic of Tea brand...their "Honey Ginseng Green Tea" is amazing. But expensive. I can only find it at a couple higher-end stores, or for ridiculous prices at places like Panera Bread.

I overdo any drink that I'm into. I used to drink too much juice. Then I got into soda/pop, which is horrible for you. I eventually segued into tea, which seems like the healthiest option available to me outside of plain water. I don't intend on becoming a coffee drinker because of my predilection for mild addiction. I never want to be the guy that needs a cup or two each morning to function. Tea is the middle ground there, where it helps but I don't need it.

Enough about me. What's your tea of choice? And, if you don't drink tea, why not? And when are you going to start?

You're not Picard.

Omega Vision
George Orwell had a great essay about the perfect cup of tea. http://orwell.ru/library/articles/tea/english/e_tea

Tzeentch
This belongs in the otf (off-topic forum) imo (in my opinion) tbh (to be honest) fam (family) smdh (shaking my damn head).

Omega Vision
Stfu u soab

Digi
Originally posted by -Pr-
Used to drink several mugs of tea a day. The closest to Irish tea that I can describe would be a very strong black tea with very little caffeine.

Here in the states, we have "Irish Breakfast" tea. It's black, but it's among the most caffeinated teas on the market.

Several mugs is...impressive. On my days off I'll sometimes make three cups, but it's usually less.

Originally posted by -Pr-
You're not Picard.

Happily conceded. But I'm waiting for the moment in my life when I can say "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."

It's coming. It's coming...

Mindset
Let's all have a tea party!

The Ecks
I just discovered Lady Grey and it's awesome

Digi
Originally posted by Omega Vision
George Orwell had a great essay about the perfect cup of tea. http://orwell.ru/library/articles/tea/english/e_tea

Holy Christ.

I enjoy myself some tea, but this is a different level. I do agree with him that there's something fundamentally disingenuous about using sugar in tea. I'd go a step further to include milk. The Starbucks revolution has produced a myriad of drinks whose prmary characteristic is that of sugary, milky ambiguity. The tea or coffee that these things are paired with are entirely an afterthought. It seems to me that those who drink such things aren't actually fond of coffee or tea. They just like the caffeine, and hide the rest.

-Pr-
Here in the states, we have "Irish Breakfast" tea. It's black, but it's among the most caffeinated teas on the market.

Several mugs is...impressive. On my days off I'll sometimes make three cups, but it's usually less.

Happily conceded. But I'm waiting for the moment in my life when I can say "Tea. Earl Grey. Hot."

It's coming. It's coming...

I don't know if it's similar to the one I could get in Canada (made by Twinings), but iirc it had more caffeine than the usual Irish tea, and STILL wasn't as strong. The tea I would drink here in Ireland would have, iirc, around 75MG of caffeine per average cup. Would have one in the morning with breakfast. One at lunchtime. One after dinner. Then 2-3 between then and going to bed. I gave it up because I couldn't drink it without sugar, and I've been cutting back on how much sugar I consume.

lol, one day...

Holy Christ.

I enjoy myself some tea, but this is a different level. I do agree with him that there's something fundamentally disingenuous about using sugar in tea. I'd go a step further to include milk. The Starbucks revolution has produced a myriad of drinks whose prmary characteristic is that of sugary, milky ambiguity. The tea or coffee that these things are paired with are entirely an afterthought. It seems to me that those who drink such things aren't actually fond of coffee or tea. They just like the caffeine, and hide the rest.

lol, Irish tea has, for a long time now, been mixed with milk and sugar, though sugar is considered more optional than most.

Digi
Originally posted by The Ecks
I just discovered Lady Grey and it's awesome

A fine variety. I find that it doesn't fit into my cycle of a strong black tea in the morning, then something uncaffeinated (or nearly so) at night. But when I have it, I enjoy it.

The Ecks
And also white teas are my pleasure.

Mindset
You guys ever had african tea?

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Mindset
Let's all have a tea party!

What kind of tea will you be having at the party?

Mindset
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
What kind of tea will you be having at the party? Jim Bean

The Ecks
You guys ever had african tea?

African rooibos red tea? Meh

Mindset
African rooibos red tea? Meh Racist.

The Ecks
Racist.

Hahahaha why racist? I just don't happen to like it lol

Mindset
And also white teas are my pleasure. Originally posted by The Ecks
African rooibos red tea? Meh

Super racist.

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/weebay-gif.gif

AbnormalButSane
Tea is the best! I had a great cup of oolong tea today. I enjoy Earl Grey, Jasmine, jade oolong, all kinds! Tasty!

The Ecks
Super racist.

http://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/weebay-gif.gif
Mhmm laughing

The Ecks
Wait a sec, were we talkin teas here?

Bentley

Digi
Originally posted by AbnormalButSane
Tea is the best! I had a great cup of oolong tea today. I enjoy Earl Grey, Jasmine, jade oolong, all kinds! Tasty!

thumb up

**** ginger tea. But thumb up to a lot of the other stuff. I haven't had much red tea. I may have to try more.

It really depends for me with the fruity herbal teas. I tend not to like them, but can enjoy them on occasion. For the fall I've got a pumpkin black tea and a cinnamon apple herbal tea. Both quite good, if I'm in the mood for them.

Tattoos N Scars
I buy Luzianne tea. I love sweet tea.

Star428
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
I buy Luzianne tea. I love sweet tea.

Me too, but only cold tea though unlike Bentley's preference for it being hot. Only drinks I like hot are coffee and hot (obviously) cocoa. The problem I have with tea though is it makes me sleepy when instead of sleeping I want to stay up and watch tv or game online. So only time I'm able to drink it is when I'm finally ready to sleep. Coffee, otoh, is great at keeping me awake, alert, and thinking clearly when I wanna stay up late (which is most of the time).

riv6672
Thought i'd clicked on the OTF by accident.

Not a tea drinker, i prefer coffee.

Ol' Shellhead
I love Chai

Time-Immemorial
Jim Bean

Sounds perfect. What time?

Bentley
It really depends for me with the fruity herbal teas. I tend not to like them, but can enjoy them on occasion. For the fall I've got a pumpkin black tea and a cinnamon apple herbal tea. Both quite good, if I'm in the mood for them.

Pumpkin black tea sounds awesome, I'll see if I can find something similar here.

Also regarding sweet teas, roselle tea is something I discovered recently and is nice enough. Different than my usual flower tea, but not quity like a fruity one either.

Originally posted by Star428
Me too, but only cold tea though unlike Bentley's preference for it being hot. Only drinks I like hot are coffee and hot (obviously) cocoa. The problem I have with tea though is it makes me sleepy when instead of sleeping I want to stay up and watch tv or game online. So only time I'm able to drink it is when I'm finally ready to sleep. Coffee, otoh, is great at keeping me awake, alert, and thinking clearly when I wanna stay up late (which is most of the time).

I like cold tea but prefer hot tea in general. I think there is a slightly different taste depending on temperature, but to be sure about that I need to do some testing. Probably I'd like some tea flavors better cold than hot.

Astner
I'm currently drinking Jun Shan Yin Zhen and it's probably the best yellow tea I've had. And while it's been some time since I had some, I recall Lung Ching being pretty good for a green tea.

You make a thread about teas and you bring up bagged black teas?

http://i.imgur.com/HMa6lpx.gif

Ushgarak
For Digi:

Alongside Orwell, see Douglas Adams' views on tea- you may remember you were impressed with his spiel on atheism I linked you to months back.

http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A61345

Mindship
I pretty much like all tea flavors but generally prefer sweet (eg, french vanilla). I've also been impressed with some of the more "exotic" flavors (eg, licorice, peppermint), cuz they tend to be subtle (almost like a surprising aftertaste), not dominating the overall tea flavor. But mostly, french vanilla, chai, earl grey, green: all good. I open the pantry and pick what I feel like having that moment.

In cool/cold weather, I also like my tea really, really hot. Y'know how tea can be so hot your lips recoil as soon as they touch it? I like my tea so hot, my lips recoil from the steam rising up. Ahhhhh...

Time-Immemorial
Southern Style Sun Sweet Tea>all

Omega Vision
I had a cup of Ecuadorian lemongrass tea last night. My favorite kind of "tea" though is ginger root tea.

Bentley
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I had a cup of Ecuadorian lemongrass tea last night. My favorite kind of "tea" though is ginger root tea.

Ginger root is awesome, when I first tried it I was astonished it made such a good drink.

Which reminds me that I'll be visiting my in-laws soon and they have herb mixes for infusion. You have probably seen the crappy looking and overexpensive combinations they sell in healthy food stores, I've found that at least some of them are good.

Robtard
Love tea. Favorite is a good mint and what I always fall back on, like a Moroccan Mint.

An English or Irish breakfast style is good in the morning. Drank Earl Grey for years and then one day decided I've had enough, it's a bit too flowery for me. Still alright in a pinch.

The Good Earth (brand) makes a "Sweet & Spicy" herbal tea, I believe it's just a black tea with cinnamon and other spices sprinkled in, but it's good. It's slightly sweet without sugar.

Few years ago I was gifted a cold-brew ice tea marker(basically a glass bottle with a filter. Have to say I prefer it to the traditional boiling water and then chilling for making ice tea.

Omega Vision
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/91N7FdkU%2BeL._SX425SX425_SY233_CR,0,0,425,233_PIbundle-6,TopRight,0,0_SX425_SY233_CR,0,0,425,233_SH20_.jpg

This stuff is really good if you're feeling stressed out or anxious. Just be warned to keep it in a safe place if you have a cat: one of the ingredients is catnip (which oddly has a soothing effect on humans) so cats will tear the box apart to get at it.

Digi
Originally posted by Astner
You make a thread about teas and you bring up bagged black teas?

http://i.imgur.com/HMa6lpx.gif

I do loose leaf as well. It's just not as convenient, so I find myself having it less often.

I'm not a tea snob, though. I just enjoy it. Good is good.

Bigelow is just my favorite among 3-4 different varieties of Earl Grey that I've tried (bagged, that is...I agree that loose leaf is somewhat its own category).

Originally posted by Ushgarak
For Digi:

Alongside Orwell, see Douglas Adams' views on tea- you may remember you were impressed with his spiel on atheism I linked you to months back.

http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A61345

thumb up

I've got a water heater that I can pour onto the tea as it's still boiling (though not always as violently boiling as it is at its peak). So this is comforting to me.

Surtur
I don't drink tea because I find it nasty. I will note I don't drink coffee either. But no tea..my parents drink ice tea all the time so whenever I go over there I have to drink either that or beer, so I go for beer. Captain Picard seemed to love Earl Grey so I tried it once...it was an unpleasant experience. Picard let me down. The only hot beverages I like to drink are hot cocoa.

I did drink Snapple when I was a kid though.

Digi
Tea is not mutually exclusive with beer, as the English can also attest to. If I'm out, I'll generally go for beer as well. Tea is more of an at-home experience, especially since I tend not to keep alcohol in the house.

Surtur
Though back when I had my first back surgery(I was 18) I did drink chamomile tea to try to get to sleep. But to be fair the box also had bears in pajama's on it. Those bears..what made them so tired?! Was it the tea? How'd they get it? Did they kill someone for it?

Digi
laughing out loud

Surtur
I did have some long island ice tea once, but I really don't drink booze unless it is beer. At the grocery store today they did have a bunch of pumpkin flavored tea and coffee.

Astner
I do loose leaf as well. It's just not as convenient, so I find myself having it less often.
When I'm lazy I make Matcha tea.

Time-Immemorial
Pass the tea bitches n quit hoggin.

Digi
Did I mention Ahmad Tea? I should.

http://ahmadteausa.com/our-teas/popular-tea.html

Bagged or loose leaf, I've recently discovered them, and it's really good tea. I can only speak to a few varieties, but it gets my thumb up

The Ecks
It's the best! Rich and tasty

Genesis-Soldier
peppermint tea when in general

mango tea when in a test

Sage tea when sick

that is all

Newjak
Brisck Iced Tea is the best!!!!

Just kidding I enjoy tea here and there but I don't really spend on it. Although with the colder temperatures around the corner I might get some for a warm beverage.

Digi
God help me, Starbucks has some decent tea. I love their Earl Grey. And you can cheat and get the Grande (medium). With the smallest, they use one bag. With Grande, two. So it's by far the strongest of the three sizes. I'm a smart spender, though, so I use the free stuff we get at work. Lipton, which is meh, but they'll occasionally have more exotic stuff for us. Most in my office are coffee drinkers, so I basically have the tea to myself.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.