What is the American national dish?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ol' Shellhead
Italy has Pasta
England has Roast Beef or the full British
Germany has Sausage, Kraut and Beer
Spain, Paella
Dutch have Cookies and stuff in Cafe's

what is America's signature food?

jaden101
Steak?

Robtard
Not officially, but many an American would probably say "apple pie", with "steak" or 'hamburger" being the runner-up.

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by jaden101
Steak?

France?

Omega Vision
Surf and Turf. A New York Strip Steak and a Maine Lobster.

Chili is pretty American too. Also most "Mexican" food served in American restaurants was at least partially invented or perfected on the American side of the border by Mexican immigrants.

jaden101
Na France is cheese made from lactating cowards.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Ol' Shellhead
France?
The French are the absolute worst at cooking steak. They have this idea that steak should be just about raw so you have to tell them to cook it well-done to get it medium-rare. That's been my experience anyway.

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by Robtard
Not officially, but many an American would probably say "apple pie", with "steak" or 'hamburger" being the runner-up. I see where you're coming from but wouldn't it be more true to say each state has a regional dish, for instance, Florida Key lime pie. I saw this excellent exploration into American food called Supersize Me, it had a lot in common with the Scientific experiment programme Man Vs. Food. I would hazard to suggest, these regional dishes all have one thing in common, they come in giagantic portions.

Ol' Shellhead
Na France is cheese made from lactating cowards. That said if not for the French naval blockade, the U.S. might not even exist.

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by Omega Vision
The French are the absolute worst at cooking steak. They have this idea that steak should be just about raw so you have to tell them to cook it well-done to get it medium-rare. That's been my experience anyway.

Steak should be rare.......

jaden101
That said if not for the French naval blockade, the U.S. might not even exist.

If anything that just makes me hate them more.

Ol' Shellhead
If anything that just makes me hate them more.

I see it as a narrow escape eventually power would have ended up on that side of the pond and we would be an American colony..... Awful!

krisblaze
Freedom, I believe

The Ecks
Burgers and bbq'ed pork

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by krisblaze
Freedom, I believe

Ha Good one, but do you really believe that?

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by The Ecks
Burgers and bbq'ed pork

How big is the portion?

Surtur
America is supposed to be a "melting pot" of different cultures and thus has no real "national dish"

marwash22
america is a country of immigrants, there is no national dish. everything we have comes from other cultures.

ares834
A Hamburger.

Bashar Teg
Italy has Pasta
Spain, Paella

Originally posted by krisblaze
Freedom, I believe

thumb up

http://images.thelibertarianrepublic.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/Screen-Shot-2015-04-04-at-6.37.01-PM.jpg

Surtur
Hamburgers were around for centuries before America.

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by Surtur
Hamburgers were around for centuries before America.

Yeah, the romans actually had them, that aside America were the first people to make them like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSoJzuUgO6c

Tattoos N Scars
Collard greens, black eyed peas, fried chicken, and cornbread.

Robtard
Good cornbread is one of the best things in life

marwash22
Originally posted by Tattoos N Scars
Collard greens, black eyed peas, fried chicken, and cornbread. what's known as "Soul food" today originated in Africa

BackFire
Fast food.

Surtur
Good cornbread is one of the best things in life

I prefer the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster.

Star428
Italy has Pasta
Spain, Paella

I think that would be cheeseburgers.

Star428

I think that's more southern food specifically than it is American as a whole. wink

And you're making me hungry now.

Mindset
Hamburgers were around for centuries before America. America was created by God at the dawn of time.

Robtard
I prefer the cheddar biscuits from Red Lobster.

WTF man, how are you going to compare anything from Red Lobster to good cornbread. Maybe it's just a Southern thing to love cornbread. Now I want some.

Mindset
Cheddar biscuits are better.

Robtard
Shut your lying mouth, MS

Mindset
I'll shut them around some cheddar biscuits.

Surtur
I know it is Red Lobster but have you ever had their cheddar biscuits? They are awesome. A few weeks ago Aldi's had a bunch of boxes of bonafide Red Lobster cheddar biscuits you could buy in the frozen section and I nearly punched a baby I was so happy.

Robtard
Haven't been inside a Reb Lobster in probably 15 years, maybe more.

Surtur
Well that explains it.

ares834

We don't eat that shit up here in the north.

Robtard
You're missing out. Quality fried chicken and cornbread make the world go round.

NemeBro
Originally posted by Mindset
Cheddar biscuits are better. thumb up

Corned bread is for sissies and rabbits.

Robtard
Shut your fat lips, NB

NemeBro
I'll shut them around your dick.

Robtard
Hey!

Mindset
Originally posted by NemeBro
I'll shut them around your dick. lol

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by ares834
We don't eat that shit up here in the north.

I know. Yall don't like grits or sweet tea either.

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by NemeBro
I'll shut them around your dick.

That's Quan's job. I bet he pissed now.

Star428
That's Quan's job. I bet he pissed now.

laughing

Robtard
I know. Yall don't like grits or sweet tea either.

Love grits. Can't do sweet tea, it's like drinking syrup to me.

Tattoos N Scars
Love grits. Can't do sweet tea, it's like drinking syrup to me.

It can be too sweet. I don't put a lot of sugar in mine. Only enough to give it a noticeably sweet flavor.

Surtur
There is this Hispanic family in this neighborhood that owns a pizza place called "Monica's". I am a regular, they know me. A few blocks away they recently opened up a chicken place too and I tell you..this is some of the best fried chicken I have ever had in my life.

Hey!

I think she likes you.

Tattoos N Scars
There is this Hispanic family in this neighborhood that owns a pizza place called "Monica's". I am a regular, they know me. A few blocks away they recently opened up a chicken place too and I tell you..this is some of the best fried chicken I have ever had in my life.

Better than KFC, huh!!

Adam Grimes
Originally posted by BackFire
Fast food. thumb up

Surtur
Better than KFC, huh!!

I think so yes. Just because this is a small place...I think they put more care into the food they make. They also have excellent grilled chicken as well.

In other words it is closer to a home cooked meal then KFC is. One thing about Chicago is we have a lot of great places to eat.

Tattoos N Scars
I think so yes. Just because this is a small place...I think they put more care into the food they make. They also have excellent grilled chicken as well.

In other words it is closer to a home cooked meal then KFC is. One thing about Chicago is we have a lot of great places to eat.

That's what I hear. Mom and pop places are generally better than national chains. I watched a Man vs. Food episode in which he visited a few places around Chicago, particularly a pizza parlor. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but the food looked amazing. Im all for good pizza and fried chicken.

StyleTime
Originally posted by marwash22
what's known as "Soul food" today originated in Africa
It's really a mix of a bunch of different things.

I think Omega hit the nail on the head though. We kinda put our own spin on certain things that already exist in some form or another. In college, I met a Chinese girl studying abroad. She had some of our "Chinese" food, and said it was a lot of stuff she'd never seen before. She didn't think it was bad, she said she quite liked it actually, but it was definitely different from mainland China cuisine.

I think this happens with most of our food. Pizza is another good example. These imports just get modified into a distinctly American thing.

Surtur
That's what I hear. Mom and pop places are generally better than national chains. I watched a Man vs. Food episode in which he visited a few places around Chicago, particularly a pizza parlor. I can't remember the name of the restaurant, but the food looked amazing. Im all for good pizza and fried chicken.

Yeah the pizza here to me is especially great. There is a place "Just-A-Pizza" I have gone to since I was young..best pizza I have ever had in my entire life. It's just a small pizza place..and I've been to the more well known pizza places in downtown Chicago, places where you have lines outside the place waiting to get in and even they don't compare.

Also a place called "Illinois Bar and Grill" has the best hamburgers ever. They are huge and they are friggin awesome. If anyone is in Chicago hit that place up. I was lucky because there is one downtown which is quite large and then a small one that was down the street from my old house. People would always be coming there after a Bulls game to get the hamburgers.

Tattoos N Scars
Originally posted by StyleTime
It's really a mix of a bunch of different things.

I think Omega hit the nail on the head though. We kinda put our own spin on certain things that already exist in some form or another. In college, I met a Chinese girl studying abroad. She had some of our "Chinese" food, and said it was a lot of stuff she'd never seen before. She didn't think it was bad, she said she quite liked it actually, but it was definitely different from mainland China cuisine.

I think this happens with most of our food. Pizza is another good example. These imports just get modified into a distinctly American thing.

We don't normally serve dog and cat here.

Surtur
I'd actually be curious how well other countries get our cuisine. I know places like Japan do have some restaurants that are supposed to serve "American" food and are themed around that. I'd be curious how it tastes.

Tattoos N Scars
I'd actually be curious how well other countries get our cuisine. I know places like Japan do have some restaurants that are supposed to serve "American" food and are themed around that. I'd be curious how it tastes.

I'm sure they put their own spin on it, like we do with Mexican, Chinese, and Italian dishes. I'm curious too, but never been to any other country except Canada.

Omega Vision
Has anyone mentioned hot dogs yet?

Also pancakes, while they had many precursors, have been perfected in America. We also basically invented breakfast cereal.

Omega Vision
Pumpkin pie is also an American invention.

Edit: nvm.

Tattoos N Scars
Hog brains and scrambled eggs. Opossum and catfish stew.

Star428
We don't normally serve dog and cat here.

LOL. True.

Omega Vision
Hog brains and scrambled eggs. Opossum and catfish stew.
Fried catfish might be the most quintessentially American food.

Smurph
I just assume Chicken and Waffles.

Ol' Shellhead
I rest my case that it is regional. Some of the U.S. has ethnic inspired dishes, others eat what's available, others eat what they can afford. Others still eat in excess! And they eat everything.

Bardock42
I'd say the international recognised quintessential American dish is the Hamburger.

Except for that I agree there's more regional dishes that may not even be internationally known about, but that at least Americans recognize as a staple of a certain region.

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by Bardock42
I'd say the international recognised quintessential American dish is the Hamburger.

Except for that I agree there's more regional dishes that may not even be internationally known about, but that at least Americans recognize as a staple of a certain region.

I don't disagree Bardock when I think of Americans I think of Wimpy from Popeye.

Star428
LOL. What is your problem, dude, with Americans? Are u just butthurt that the U.S. is by far the single greatest country on Earth? That's the impression I'm getting from u with all these trolling anti-American threads/posts u keep posting. Sour grapes. LMAO. Wimpy from Popeyes huh? Gee, you sure are such a big brave european badass aren't u, little boy? What bravado?! Must take a lot of courage to sling such insults over internet at people who live on the other side of the ocean, eh? LMFAO. Too bad u ain't man enough to come over here and call us a wimp. LOL. If u looked up the word "pathetic" in the dictionary there'd probably be a picture of your cowardly ass, loser. Yeah, U.S. is greatest country on Earth. Get over it, punk. thumb up

Your troll/bait post has been reported.

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by Star428
LOL. What is your problem, dude, with Americans? Are u just butthurt that the U.S. is by far the single greatest country on Earth? That's the impression I'm getting from u with all these trolling anti-American threads/posts u keep posting. Sour grapes. LMAO. Wimpy from Popeyes huh? Gee, you sure are such a big brave european badass aren't u, little boy? What bravado?! Must take a lot of courage to sling such insults over internet at people who live on the other side of the ocean, eh? LMFAO. Too bad u ain't man enough to come over here and call us a wimp. LOL. If u looked up the word "pathetic" in the dictionary there'd probably be a picture of your cowardly ass, loser. Yeah, U.S. is greatest country on Earth. Get over it, punk. thumb up

Your troll/bait post has been reported.

Good stuff pal. :-) your trolling is excellent. You haven't put me on ignore then? You seem tough, online.

Star428
Sorry, but I've had enough of your butthurt anti-American trolling. You're on ignore now.

Get a life instead of being so sour at Americans simply because they live in a greater country than you. thumb up

Ol' Shellhead
Originally posted by Star428
Sorry, but I've had enough of your butthurt anti-American trolling. You're on ignore now.

Get a life instead of being so sour at Americans simply because they live in a greater country than you. thumb up

Hahaha It's funny because you paint everyone else in stereotypical broad strokes. satire truly isn't dead whilst you are posting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.