Sword of Power vs Ebony Blade

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Stoic
The point of this thread is to find out which sword would break first if held by characters of significant power and strength.

Superman holds the Sword of Power. He has sun dipped for a week, and is wearing the Entropy Aegis. He has practiced wielding the blade for a full year.

Thor holds the Ebony Blade. He is in possession of the Power Gem, and is within the Asgardian Destroyer. Let's pretend that the Power Gem augments the Destroyer in all ways. He has practiced using the Power Gem for a year.

They both take a stance, they swing with all of their might until one blade breaks, which one breaks first?

Digi
I doubt we can answer the question with anything resembling certainty or even confidence. Has either ever broken in canon?

juggernaut74
Is this Sword of Power the one that He-Man wields?

DarkSaint85
This sounds like a beatboks question.

leonidas
if this is the he-man sword, it's really close. i don't think it has ever been broken--not in canon anyway. the ebony blade WAS broken once. the ebony blade does give magical items problems though, so.....impossible to say with anything close to certainty. all you're likely to get are guesses and biased assertions. shrug

Stoic
Yeah it's He-Man's sword.

Digi
It gets slightly tricky, because in some incarnations, the Sword of Power was actually split into two. Back in the old days, Skeletor actually rolled with one half of it for a while. Only when combined could it reach its full strength.

The hype surrounding the SoP is actually greater than that of the EB. Which is almost asinine to suggest, I realize. But since it's basically the key and conduit for a multiversal nexus of power (which has stayed true through pretty much every incarnation), it's not without reason.

Based on hype, SoP. Based on comic showings, it's a coin flip.

juggernaut74
I don't ever recall He-Man sword being broken by force.

Digi
Originally posted by juggernaut74
I don't ever recall He-Man sword being broken by force.

Right, but we're dealing with abstract amounts of force and PIS weapons that are supposedly indestructible. Going off of comic showings, maybe neither would break, maybe both would, maybe one would. We really don't know.

beatboks
Just to trow a spanner m in the works, wouldn't the SoP in the hands of Superman also give him the power of greyskull?? Effectively making him much stronger than merely sun dipped amped.

Galan007
Superman>Thor. He doesn't need these fancy trinkets to win. thumb up

Digi
Originally posted by beatboks
Just to trow a spanner m in the works, wouldn't the SoP in the hands of Superman also give him the power of greyskull?? Effectively making him much stronger than merely sun dipped amped.

Ha! An astute observation, but probably not in the spirit of the thread.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by beatboks

No.

It is possible for someone else to wield the sword, but only Adam can use it to access the Power of Grayskull.

This is because of his unique ancestry (which varies by canon), and because it is his unique destiny.

The sword also has a magical fail-safe, and will harm anyone who tries to wield it for an evil purpose.

In short, in the hands of Superman, the sword is just a sword. It is an indestructible sword that can cut through anything, but it has no magical properties.

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Digi
It gets slightly tricky, because in some incarnations, the Sword of Power was actually split into two. Back in the old days, Skeletor actually rolled with one half of it for a while. Only when combined could it reach its full strength.

In the first stories, the sword was a literal key, used to unlock the entrance to Castle Grayskull.

To prevent evildoers from gaining entrance to the castle, the sword was split in two, and each half hidden in a different location on Eternia.

Only the combined sword could open the lock to the castle door.

In these stories, Skeletor did not have his Havoc Staff, and instead had a magical sword called the Energy Blade, and He-Man had his Battle Ax.

This was quickly retconned, but the two sword concept was retained; one became the Sword of Power (He-Man) and the other became the Sword of Protection (She-Ra).

Later, the Sword of Power absorbed the Sword of the Ancients and became even stronger.

Digi
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
In the first stories, the sword was a literal key, used to unlock the entrance to Castle Grayskull.

To prevent evildoers from gaining entrance to the castle, the sword was split in two, and each half hidden in a different location on Eternia.

Only the combined sword could open the lock to the castle door.

In these stories, Skeletor did not have his Havoc Staff, and instead had a magical sword called the Energy Blade, and He-Man had his Battle Ax.

This was quickly retconned, but the two sword concept was retained; one became the Sword of Power (He-Man) and the other became the Sword of Protection (She-Ra).

Later, the Sword of Power absorbed the Sword of the Ancients and became even stronger.

I bow before the more knowledgeable He-Man fan. I am but your acolyte. Thanks for the info. Most of that sounds familiar, but it's been a LONG time, so a lot of it is murky in my mind.

thumb up

Sin I AM
Isnt entropy aegis wayyy more powerful than destroyer armor?

Digi
Originally posted by Sin I AM
Isnt entropy aegis wayyy more powerful than destroyer armor?

Yes. But Thor has the Power Gem too. Basically this is about the swords.

Sin I AM
PG honestly never came off as impressive to me but i get your point

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.