Apple Car

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial

Flyattractor
Why would anyone want to buy a car that crashes twice a day?

long pig
Sounds terrible! smile

Bardock42
I wonder what this will actually be. If it's going to be a full car or if they'll partner with anyone. I mean it'll pretty definitely be electric, but probably (even if 5 years down the line) too early for self driving.

I mean Tesla has definitely shown that even today an "outsider" can make a fantastic car. And Apple does have the money.

Robtard
Would prefer they take a path similar to Tesla's, buying the shell of an existing car and doing the electric-drive, electronics and interior all themselves.

Outright partnering with one of the existing auto-conglomerates could put limits on Apple's imagination and we could end up with little more than a Ford Escape with an Apple entertainment/navigation/communication system. Who wants that? Nobody, that's who.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Why would anyone want to buy a car that crashes twice a day?

No joke. I wouldn't want to have to backup my car's OS before it gets its monthly update, then risk being stuck at home because I have to do a restoration. There are some levels of collaboration and integration that I'm open to, but as of now I see myself having no interest in an Apple car.

Bashar Teg
http://i.imgur.com/h6hpDVD.jpg

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bashar Teg

lol, that's pretty accurate. Would choose the nice, speedy car there as well though.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bardock42
lol, that's pretty accurate. Would choose the nice, speedy car there as well though.

Even if you needed to buy a new model each time it had a problem?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Surtur
Even if you needed to buy a new model each time it had a problem?

That depends how often it has problems. If on average the car has a problem once every 20 years, sure...

Surtur
That depends how often it has problems. If on average the car has a problem once every 20 years, sure...

So as of now do Apple products tend to last that long without a single problem? I've never used any Apple products so I don't know.

Bardock42
So as of now do Apple products tend to last that long without a single problem? I've never used any Apple products so I don't know.

Yes, Apple products last very long. And they retain value extremely well.

Robtard
Have to agree there, have an old MacBook from 2006 or so, only thing I've had to replace was the battery and on eBay they still sell for $200-$250.

Unoriginal
Imagine trying to buy a used car thats iCloud locked.

ares834
Originally posted by Bashar Teg

laughing out loud

Surtur
Yes, Apple products last very long. And they retain value extremely well.

Interesting, they might be better suited to it then Microsoft then.

Bardock42
Interesting, they might be better suited to it then Microsoft then.

Well, while comparing the workings of a car with user operating systems makes for a funny joke, it's not a fair comparison. Windows (or OS X) doesn't have to reboot or get a blue screen of death because they are particularly shoddy designed, they are extremely complicated pieces of software that have to do so many things that problems are inevitable. The software that makes cars run has completely different requirements and goals.

Additionally Microsoft provides one of the most popular in-car entertainment software platforms. The other most popular one is owned by Blackberry. Google and Apple also both have efforts to connect their smartphone platforms with in-car entertainment.

Astner
First thing I thought about when seeing the title.

https://cf.geekdo-images.com/images/pic1870017_md.jpg

Ascendancy
Meh, few and far between are the friends I know who haven't gotten a replacement at the Apple Store

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.