Hurricane Patricia: Biggest recorded in this hemisphere

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Q99
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSCmPmTUwAAw3Cw.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSCo-cPUYAE2Kbc.jpg

Strongest storm hits Mexico

How to help

It's a category five, with winds up to the level of some tornadoes, hitting a place not used to hurricanes, and the army's evacuating, power's cut, etc..

Donate if you can, things are going to be bad.

Digi
Holy crap.

Good post; some - like myself - were likely oblivious to this.

Q99
From Orbit:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CSDLDhnWsAAjwzG.jpg

Twitter videos:
Video

Video

video

Video of truck knocked over by winds while driving

And it's just starting. Here's the path, it'll cut right through Mexico.
http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graphics/EP20/refresh/EP2015W5_NL_sm2+gif/024233W5_NL_sm.gif

Q99
Originally posted by Digi
Holy crap.

Good post; some - like myself - were likely oblivious to this.

Oh, and one reason you may have been unaware- it increased in power *fast*.

A lot of the time with big hurricanes, they watch it strengthening out to sea before it hits. This time, it went Tropical Storm (which is not news) to Cat 5 in a day.

It's hit land- fortunately not directly on the most heavily populated areas, so that's a bit of luck (which just means 'less damage, but still a lot of damage). It's going to be at damaging levels and dropping flood-level rain for some time, though.

NewLanceWindu
Dropped to a Category 4, good news but still very powerful.

snowdragon
I was in Jacksonville NC when Hurricane Diana hit and Gloria.

It was crazy the amount of energy they produced and damage thrown around.

I pity anyone in the way of this monster of a storm.

Q99
It's looking like everyone got *incredibly* lucky with the path:

http://www.trbimg.com/img-562afe82/turbine/la-the-projected-path-of-the-storm-20151023/600

Early on it looked like it was gonna hit Mexico's most populous cities, but instead it looks like it went between most cities.

Which still leaves mass flooding, but a giant bullet mostly dodged there.

jaden101
Clearly God's judgement of all the filthy rapists and murderers. God bless Murica

Q99
It's headed strait for Texas, btw.

Time-Immemorial
Yea and we getting the rain, God Bless Texas

Surtur
I realize in some of these places hurricanes are not common, but in others I have always wondered why people even still stay in areas that seem to routinely get hit by hurricanes every year.

Omega Vision
Yeah, too bad it couldn't dump all that rain on a state that needs it, like California.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
I realize in some of these places hurricanes are not common, but in others I have always wondered why people even still stay in areas that seem to routinely get hit by hurricanes every year.
One of two reasons: they can't afford to leave (this is the case with the Caribbean) or even considering the hurricanes, those places are still nicer/better than other places (see: South Florida)

I'd take living in a hurricane prone area to a tornado prone area any day. While I realize that Florida is apparently ALSO tornado prone, I've personally only ever experienced one tornado, and that was technically a "downburst" mini tornado (still scary as hell).

Surtur
We have the ability to make it stop raining, maybe one day we'll have the ability to make it start as well.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
We have the ability to make it stop raining, maybe one day we'll have the ability to make it start as well.
Are you referring to what the Chinese did before the Olympics? If so, that was firing chemicals into the air that made the rain come ahead of schedule so that when the Olympics rolled around the clouds would be out of the sky.

Surtur
I wasn't referring to that specific instance, but I'm sure it was probably achieved in the same way. I remember hearing about something in the UK getting rid of storm clouds or something.

Tzeentch
Originally posted by Q99
It's headed strait for Texas, btw. Originally posted by jaden101
Clearly God's judgement of all the filthy rapists and murderers. God bless Murica

Tzeentch
Apparently the storm has weakened for the most part and the worst is over for Mexico- no deaths reported so far. Glad for our Mexican-bros.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by jaden101

I didn't know where else to put this, because it sounds worse then a hurricane.

VxASD4jHgCk

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
I didn't know where else to put this, because it sounds worse then a hurricane.

VxASD4jHgCk
I would say put it somewhere that isn't a thread about a hurricane. erm

NewLanceWindu
Got to love how political bullshit gets brought into everything.

Sacred Fire
Originally posted by Omega Vision
I would say put it somewhere that isn't a thread about a hurricane. erm
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
Got to love how political bullshit gets brought into everything.

thumb upthumb upthumb upthumb upthumb upthumb upthumb upthumb up

Time-Immemorial
Buncha cry babies. It was pretty funny and suiting based on what Jaden said.

Q99
Speaking of Mexicans, boarder crossing, and Hurricanes, Remember when the Mexican army deployed to the US to feed Americans after Katrina?

The fear of Mexicans- a neighbor we've had friendly relations with and exchanged people with for a very long time- strikes me as so incredibly silly.

Mexico is our friends, and they've proven it when it counts.

Time-Immemorial
Move down there then. I'm sure you would love it.

Q99
Well, moving's a bit much effort and I don't spend the language, but there are definitely placing in Mexico I wouldn't mind living if I did want to put in the effort.

I really do not get the *panic* they induce in you and others. These are people who have lived mixed with USAians for literally centuries. We know it works.

Time-Immemorial
No clue what panic you are talking about.

Bardock42
No clue what panic you are talking about.

Yeah, you're calm....OH SHIT THERE'S A MEXICAN BEHIND YOU TAKING YOUR JOB!!!

Flyattractor
More like "OH SHIT THERE ARE PROGRESSIVE SOCILISTS IN WASH D.C WHO ARE GOING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE ILLEGALS TO TURN THE U.S INTO A 3RD WORLD SHIT HOLE FOR THIER OWN POLITICAL POWER MOVE"

Now that is a reason for panic.

And if Mexico can be classified as a friend. Its in the catergorey of "Obnoxious Drunken College Buddy who lives in our living room 10 years after saying "Its just for the weekend".

Bardock42
So, we are agreed, lots of panic within the right wing...

Ushgarak
Any more on topic? It seems this really wasn't the big thing people feared anyway.

Flyattractor
I did enjoy all the CYA-ing that went on with the weather predicting industry. All was fun to watch the hysterics.

Originally posted by Bardock42
So, we are agreed, lots of panic within the right wing...

More a cause for concern when a bunch of Prgressives want to turn the country into a crap hole. A cause for concern. Unless your a LIBERAL that likes living in crap.

Bardock42
Definitely better this way than the other way.

Re: Ush, not living in crap

Flyattractor
You are such a Rick.

Surtur
Originally posted by jaden101

No way, God's judgement would of left us with a massively higher body count. He doesn't mess around when he "judges" folk.

Tattoos N Scars
The remnants of the storm is causing mass flooding in my area. The sudden flooding was enough to derail a train in Corsicana, Tx and leave many people stranded, waiting to be rescued.

Emperordmb
Originally posted by Q99
Well, moving's a bit much effort and I don't spend the language, but there are definitely placing in Mexico I wouldn't mind living if I did want to put in the effort.

I really do not get the *panic* they induce in you and others. These are people who have lived mixed with USAians for literally centuries. We know it works.
USAians?

Q99
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Any more on topic? It seems this really wasn't the big thing people feared anyway.

Kinda, but a large part of that was, even with the very fortunate path it took, a combination of heavy preparedness/response, and some pure luck.

Article on the coverage

It's one of those "people are only able to say now because the response was so good."

Literally tens of thousands of people were evac'd, after all.

And a slightly different path would've been 'towns go bye-bye from the map' level damage.

One possible path would've been hitting the second most populous city in Mexico. Which would've been... yikes.

It's worth remembering Katrina hit land as a cat 3. This hit land literally two categories higher than that.

Originally posted by Flyattractor
More like "OH SHIT THERE ARE PROGRESSIVE SOCILISTS IN WASH D.C WHO ARE GOING TO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF THE ILLEGALS TO TURN THE U.S INTO A 3RD WORLD SHIT HOLE FOR THIER OWN POLITICAL POWER MOVE"

Now that is a reason for panic.

And if Mexico can be classified as a friend. Its in the catergorey of "Obnoxious Drunken College Buddy who lives in our living room 10 years after saying "Its just for the weekend".

Not really, we do hundreds of millions in trade with them each year, both ways, and immigrants prop up several US state's agriculture industry (as shown by what happens when anti-immigrant laws are passed).

And heck, Mexico isn't a third world country itself, it's a two trillion dollar economy. In the developing country category to be sure, but ahead of, say, Russia or Brazil in per-capita income (higher in the areas near the US, due to all the trade).

An ironic thing for you, back in the day when the boarder was looser, people would come in for seasonal work then *go back to Mexico* with their families.

Also, like I posted upthread, they helped a whole lotta people during Hurricane Katrina, when we needed it, so props there too.

Do look deeper than the stereotypes, and you'll have less reason to panic.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Q99
Kinda, but a large part of that was, even with the very fortunate path it took, a combination of heavy preparedness/response, and some pure luck.

Article on the coverage

It's one of those "people are only able to say now because the response was so good."

Literally tens of thousands of people were evac'd, after all.

And a slightly different path would've been 'towns go bye-bye from the map' level damage.

One possible path would've been hitting the second most populous city in Mexico. Which would've been... yikes.

It's worth remembering Katrina hit land as a cat 3. This hit land literally two categories higher than that.

Not really, we do hundreds of millions in trade with them each year, both ways, and immigrants prop up several US state's agriculture industry (as shown by what happens when anti-immigrant laws are passed).

And heck, Mexico isn't a third world country itself, it's a two trillion dollar economy. In the developing country category to be sure, but ahead of, say, Russia or Brazil in per-capita income (higher in the areas near the US, due to all the trade).

An ironic thing for you, back in the day when the boarder was looser, people would come in for seasonal work then *go back to Mexico* with their families.

Also, like I posted upthread, they helped a whole lotta people during Hurricane Katrina, when we needed it, so props there too.

Do look deeper than the stereotypes, and you'll have less reason to panic.

Go back to Mexico!

AbnormalButSane
In Texas it's either no rain for four months or flash flooding. There is no in between. Thanks, Patricia.

Katrina was awful. We were without power for weeks. (In Miss.)

Q99
Originally posted by AbnormalButSane
In Texas it's either no rain for four months or flash flooding. There is no in between. Thanks, Patricia.

Katrina was awful. We were without power for weeks. (In Miss.)

Yea, and the drought makes flooding more likely, totally dry soil doesn't absorb well.

Go back to Mexico!

I really don't get what you're so afraid of.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.