WHO on Processed Meats

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/oct/26/bacon-ham-sausages-processed-meats-cancer-risk-smoking-says-who

Well this sucks.

Star428
That's too bad but it's not about to stop me from eating any of it that's for sure. I'd go crazy without being able to eat meat. It'd probably turn me into a damn democrat or something. LOL. No thanks, I'll pass... Granted, that's a worst case scenario though. It'd probably just make me extremely irritable.

jaden101
I remember seeing a documentary a couple of years ago about the potential carcinogenic effects of smoked meats. All it did was make me hungry. Gonna die of something anyway.

Digi
Originally posted by jaden101
I remember seeing a documentary a couple of years ago about the potential carcinogenic effects of smoked meats. All it did was make me hungry. Gonna die of something anyway.

Sure, but it's this mentality that leads to, say, dying at 55 instead of 75. Or having health complications that severely hurt your standard of living for years. I've heard arguments like this before, but I'm unconvinced that they hold as much merit as some people think. To me, it always just seemed like deferring responsibility to a future, less-healthy version of yourself.

Now, I don't begrudge anyone that decision/rationale. Your life and health choices are your own. I'm also not advocating removing meat from one's diet. But, tbh, we've known that red meat consumption increases risk of cancer for years. The data is similar with heart attacks. And there are healthier sources of anything you get from meat (protein and iron, primarily). It's all statistical - you could be healthy and die tomorrow, or be a slob and die at 102 - but there are statistically relevant things everyone can do to decrease their risk.

I tend to limit meat consumption; it's helped me to eat healthier and has drastically expanded my palette to include foods I never even considered before.

Originally posted by Star428
That's too bad but it's not about to stop me from eating any of it that's for sure. I'd go crazy without being able to eat meat. It'd probably turn me into a damn democrat or something. LOL. No thanks, I'll pass... Granted, that's a worst case scenario though. It'd probably just make me extremely irritable.

I hope the Democrat line is a joke, but it's always a bit hard to tell with you. Most can't eliminate meat without either being really unhappy or actually hurting their diet, so it's not a decision that's smart for some.

But I have a vegetarian friend who has been asked, with no irony or sarcasm, if he's gay bc he doesn't eat meat. Which, ya know, lulz bc of the double entendre. But it's also telling on how much misinformation there is surrounding dietary choices.

jaden101
Originally posted by Digi
Sure, but it's this mentality that leads to, say, dying at 55 instead of 75. Or having health complications that severely hurt your standard of living for years. I've heard arguments like this before, but I'm unconvinced that they hold as much merit as some people think. To me, it always just seemed like deferring responsibility to a future, less-healthy version of yourself.

Now, I don't begrudge anyone that decision/rationale. Your life and health choices are your own. I'm also not advocating removing meat from one's diet. But, tbh, we've known that red meat consumption increases risk of cancer for years. The data is similar with heart attacks. And there are healthier sources of anything you get from meat (protein and iron, primarily). It's all statistical - you could be healthy and die tomorrow, or be a slob and die at 102 - but there are statistically relevant things everyone can do to decrease their risk.

I tend to limit meat consumption; it's helped me to eat healthier and has drastically expanded my palette to include foods I never even considered before.

I hope the Democrat line is a joke, but it's always a bit hard to tell with you. Most can't eliminate meat without either being really unhappy or actually hurting their diet, so it's not a decision that's smart for some.

But I have a vegetarian friend who has been asked, with no irony or sarcasm, if he's gay bc he doesn't eat meat. Which, ya know, lulz bc of the double entendre. But it's also telling on how much misinformation there is surrounding dietary choices.

It's not deferring responsibility at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. I understand fully that some meats, alcohol etc can be bad for me. I just don't care. I don't only eat those things. I don't lead a sedentary lifestyle. I don't do those things to extend my life. I do them cos I enjoy doing them. Some make me healthier and some make me less healthy.

Digi
Originally posted by jaden101
It's not deferring responsibility at all. Quite the opposite, in fact. I understand fully that some meats, alcohol etc can be bad for me. I just don't care. I don't only eat those things. I don't lead a sedentary lifestyle. I don't do those things to extend my life. I do them cos I enjoy doing them. Some make me healthier and some make me less healthy.

That's a reasonable clarification. I've literally just heard "Gonna die someday anyway" as justification for all sorts of unhealthy habits. I suppose living in the US Midwest doesn't help - our obesity numbers are comically higher than the coasts, to say nothing of the rest of the world.

jaden101
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/health/i-am-the-greatest-thing-of-all-time-says-bacon-2013030761993

Digi
Bacon has to be the most overrated food ever. That's different than saying it's bad. It's delicious. But so are sooooo many other foods. I can name a dozen foods or dishes off the top of my head that i like as much. But about 10 years ago 'murica got a bacon boner that it beat into the ground until it ruined bacon for some people. It smells better than it tastes anyway. I'm a fan, but the levels of fervency from some are hilarious.

StyleTime

Omega Vision
Bacon has to be the most overrated food ever. That's different than saying it's bad. It's delicious. But so are sooooo many other foods. I can name a dozen foods or dishes off the top of my head that i like as much. But about 10 years ago 'murica got a bacon boner that it beat into the ground until it ruined bacon for some people. It smells better than it tastes anyway. I'm a fan, but the levels of fervency from some are hilarious.
It's really good in sandwiches and crumbled up into bean soups, but by itself it's often overly rich.

I eat red meat maybe once a week, and in terms of processed meat, the only one I eat regularly is turkey bacon, which I should probably cut down on.

Americans need to realize that the key to eating healthy is vegetables, beans, beans, lentils, beans, split peas, beans, more lentils, and a shit ton more beans. You can adequately replace meat in many recipes with lentils and/or black beans, and after a while of eating those recipes you stop missing the meat that was in them. (That's how it is with me and burritos. Since I started making lentil burritos I've never looked back)

Robtard
You must fart a lot

You're right about the beans though, read a study awhile back that found the communities with the longest mean lifespans had a moderate to heavy bean consumption, along with being active.

long pig

Did you ever try his meat?

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by long pig

laughing out loud

long pig
Originally posted by Robtard
You must fart a lot

You're right about the beans though, read a study awhile back that found the communities with the longest mean lifespans had a moderate to heavy bean consumption, along with being active.
Your people eat a lot of beans and work out(side) and run (from the law) alot, yet they die in their 50s mostly.

Time-Immemorial
Your people eat a lot of beans and work out(side) and run (from the law) alot, yet they die in their 50s mostly.

laughing out loud

Digi

Nah, I only eat white meat.

#fullracist

BackFire
So what I'm taking away from all this is that I can counteract the destructiveness of red meat by eating a bunch of beans aferwards. Sounds like Taco Bell is the healthiest food around. Consider it done.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by BackFire
So what I'm taking away from all this is that I can counteract the destructiveness of red meat by eating a bunch of beans aferwards. Sounds like Taco Bell is the healthiest food around. Consider it done.

Some beans and colon blow should fix you up nicely.

long pig
Nah, I only eat white meat.

#fullracist
https://i.imgflip.com/8o6ez.jpg

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Robtard
You must fart a lot

I also never get constipated. So it balances out.

Time-Immemorial
Speaking of farts, I just laid one out here at the house and had to clear the room.

Omega Vision
Isn't that because you and your Klan buddies lynch lots of them before they turn 60? awesome

long pig
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Isn't that because you and your Klan buddies lynch lots of them before they turn 60? awesome
We lost our lynchin jobs to mexicans years ago. Damn illegals will lynch all day for half the price.

Omega Vision
We lost our lynchin jobs to mexicans years ago. Damn illegals will lynch all day for half the price.
Where mah country gone?

long pig
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Where mah country gone?
Dey terk er jebs!!

long pig
Seriously though, all kidding aside, they're all bad people.

Star428
Of course the democrat comment was a joke, Digi. What you think the "LOL" was for? Being turned into a democrat, as utterly awful and disgusting as that would be, is certainly more preferable to getting cancer and dying a slow tortorous death. Course, guess you could say that being a democrat is a slow painful death too. LOL. I"d probably feel dirty all the time and end up having to shower a half-dozen times a day. laughing out loud

My water bill is high enough as it is just showering once or twice daily. Shudder to think what doing is 6 times or more would do to it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.