Man shot by police in Iceland, for the first time in Iceland's history

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Omega Vision
http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-12-03/iceland-grieves-after-police-kill-man-first-time-its-history

Iceland apparently ranks 15th in the world in terms of gun ownership per capita, but gun violence is almost non-existent because their gun culture is different than ours.

Surtur
Look I'm all for more gun control, but I wouldn't be grieving because cops shot a guy who decided to shoot at them.

Bardock42
It is sad that people have problems that lead them to do this. It is sad they died. It doesn't mean that the police is at fault. The police in Iceland seems to understand that.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Omega Vision
http://www.pri.org/stories/2013-12-03/iceland-grieves-after-police-kill-man-first-time-its-history

Iceland apparently ranks 15th in the world in terms of gun ownership per capita, but gun violence is almost non-existent because their gun culture is different than ours.

Really your Op should say

"Man shoots at police, and was shot by police."

Bardock42
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial

Yeah, that's the interesting story, not that this is the first time in 69 years that this has happened...

long pig
There's like 10 people in Iceland .

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by long pig

Its like no one has seen the secreet life of walter mitty.

Omega Vision

No, because that's not the story. The story is that there are some countries in the world where gun violence isn't a problem, even if those countries do have guns.

You might argue that that's simply a result of Iceland's culture, and you'd be right, but then cultures can change, and I see no reason why America can't change. We need to start by disabusing ourselves of this idea that owning and using guns are a quintessential part of being an American.

Time-Immemorial
No one lives in Iceland, so I don't see the relevance to US gun laws.

Omega Vision
No one lives in Iceland, so I don't see the relevance to US gun laws.
330,000 people. It's not like we're talking about a Pacific Island here or a European micro-state.

And I'm not talking about gun laws right now, I'm talking about gun culture.

Stealth Moose
No, because that's not the story. The story is that there are some countries in the world where gun violence isn't a problem, even if those countries do have guns.

You might argue that that's simply a result of Iceland's culture, and you'd be right, but then cultures can change, and I see no reason why America can't change. We need to start by disabusing ourselves of this idea that owning and using guns are a quintessential part of being an American.

Good luck with this. There's entire swaths of this country which teach their kids from infancy to murder rather helpless animals for some token meat/fur and to feel good about themselves as 'hunters'. Then you have your war hawks and armchair generals, who are easily scared by everything Fox News tells them to be scared by, and people who identify as wanting guns because they think others want to take them. I've seen people who legally can't own guns post pro-gun memes on their FB.

This country has a serious mental issue and it's split down the middle. We need more than dialogue to change it.

Q99
For reference, gun laws on Iceland are, only licensed individuals may own guns, background checks are mandatory, 3-month courses to in gun ownership are required, minimum age of ownership is 18 or 20 years of age (two sources I checked had different numbers), and they maintain records of every citizen licensed to acquire, possess, sell or transfer a firearm or ammunition. A unique identification mark is required by law on all guns as well.

Also, while gun possession is high, it's almost entirely shotguns and hunting rifles, almost no handguns, and semi-automatic rifles are banned. You have to display a valid purpose of owning a gun, so 'hunting' is in, but only, like, target-shooters get licenses for handguns.

Article

Time-Immemorial
Funny, there is a new series coming out soon called "into the badlands"

All guns have been outlawed, so what does everyone use to kill?

Swords and knives.laughing out loud

Bardock42
Funny, there is a new series coming out soon called "into the badlands"

All guns have been outlawed, so what does everyone use to kill?

Swords and knives.laughing out loud

Swords and knifes are a lot less effective.

Surtur
This is the first time a person has been shot and killed by police. I'd be curious how many criminals have killed other people with guns that were not cops, but innocent civilians.

Maybe people in Iceland just tend to use common sense, criminals here tend not to do so as often.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Surtur
This is the first time a person has been shot and killed by police. I'd be curious how many criminals have killed other people with guns that were not cops, but innocent civilians.

Maybe people in Iceland just tend to use common sense, criminals here tend not to do so as often.

Or maybe the US has a problem with police violence.....

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Bardock42

Yeah. We need more guns to curb the violence.

Cause it WORKS!

Time-Immemorial
I love people on the internet crying about gun violence especially the fat ones.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Yeah. We need more guns to curb the violence.

Cause it WORKS!

Ha, you make a good point with your sarcasm.

Astner
Iceland; once a great nation of pillage-hungry vikings and slaughter-happy berserkers, now a nation of ****nuts and cock-worshiping sissies. What happened?

long pig
Also, its a mostly white country.

Robtard
You just implied that white people are "****nut cock-worshipping sissies".

long pig
Originally posted by Robtard
You just implied that white people are "****nut cock-worshipping sissies".
Ay yi yi! Did I?

Robtard
Yes

long pig
Originally posted by Robtard
Yes
Whats sad is those alcoholic, inbred pussies are still more civilized than 12-15% of America.

Bashar Teg
semi-relevant:

http://i.imgur.com/PbayPIW.jpg

Mindset
Whats sad is those alcoholic, inbred pussies are still more civilized than 12-15% of America. That can't be true, there are definitely more Republicans than that.

Time-Immemorial
People who are afraid of guns are weak and thin skinned.

Mindset
People are stupid. Fixed that for you.

Omega Vision
People who are afraid of guns are weak and thin skinned.
Or sane. I'm not really afraid of guns, I'm afraid of idiots who don't know how to use them safely.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bardock42

That or a problem with police compliance. Of course the truth is there is a big big problem with both.

Omega Vision
That or a problem with police compliance. Of course the truth is there is a big big problem with both.
Nope, police violence.

There are plenty of examples of cops who are able to handle non-compliant perps without resorting to unnecessary violence. Anyone who'd use non-compliance as an excuse for police brutality is an idiot willing to accept sloppy policework.

Bardock42
Nope, police violence.

There are plenty of examples of cops who are able to handle non-compliant perps without resorting to unnecessary violence. Anyone who'd use non-compliance as an excuse for police brutality is an idiot willing to accept sloppy policework.

thumb up

Surtur
Nope, police violence.

But uhh, nope to your nope. We have both problems. Saying most cops handle non-compliance better does not equate to there being a problem with people not doing shit a cop tells them. If we didn't have a problem with it you'd rarely hear examples of dipshits not complying.

If you wanted to say we have a problem with cops being unable to handle non-compliance better then okay, but again this doesn't negate we have a violence and non-compliance problem.

Bardock42
Cops should not be complied with unconditionally, when they overstep their bounds civil disobedience is called for.

Surtur
Yes, but the thing is I never said they should be complied with unconditionally..I said we have a problem with mother*ckers who think they can not comply with some shit they have zero business not complying with. It's not a rare thing you hear about someone not complying and it's usually not because the cop is being unjust but because the criminal doesn't want to be punished for being a criminal. It's the old "I wanna have my damn cake and eat it too" conundrum.

Bardock42
Yes, but the thing is I never said they should be complied with unconditionally..I said we have a problem with mother*ckers who think they can not comply with some shit they have zero business not complying with. It's not a rare thing you hear about someone not complying and it's usually not because the cop is being unjust but because the criminal doesn't want to be punished for being a criminal. It's the old "I wanna have my damn cake and eat it too" conundrum.

Not really. Using appropriate force is important whether someone complies or not, whether someone committed a crime or not.

Of course criminals perpetrating crimes is a problem, but you constantly bringing it up in thread about police violence really just seems like attempts to distract from the very real issue.

Mindset
But uhh, nope to your nope. We have both problems. Saying most cops handle non-compliance better does not equate to there being a problem with people not doing shit a cop tells them. If we didn't have a problem with it you'd rarely hear examples of dipshits not complying.

If you wanted to say we have a problem with cops being unable to handle non-compliance better then okay, but again this doesn't negate we have a violence and non-compliance problem. You sound like a boot licking commie.

Get out of my country.

jaden101

Not anymore.

Mindset
Originally posted by jaden101
Not anymore. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

*slaps knee*

*puts arm around jaden*

*breaks his neck*

jaden101
Doubtful.

Mindset
*skin him*

*wear his skin like a suit*

*dance all night to taylor swift*

jaden101
The last bit I do believe

Mindset
*learn necromancy*

*bring jaden back to life*

*challenge him to a fight*

*kick his ass*

Surtur
We also need to consider the fervor people in this country have for guns..some of it comes from a gross misunderstanding of the 2nd amendment.

Maybe they should really talk to the schools about making sure people grow up understanding it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.