Presidential beliefs

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Why do people care if a president believes in abortion or not?

Pretty sure the SC ruled it was legal.

Jesus McBurger
Republicans, Christians, stem cell scandal

Bardock42
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial

Presidents appoint Supreme Court judges...

Digi
What Bardock said. It wouldn't take much to swing the SC the other way, so it's of utmost importance to have a Prez who agrees with you in office when a vacancy occurs.

That said, regardless of your views, I think abortion is an overblown issue. In terms of life, health care and environmental issues affect SO many more people. Add that to the needles polarization on the topic, making true discussion next to impossible, and you can see why I hate the issue.

Time-Immemorial
Expanding beyond abortion, people get wrapped up in what faith a candidate is. Like Romney.

It's not like having Romeny as president would have resulted I forced Mormanism on the US.

Robtard
No, but his Mormonism would probably sway his views and beliefs and this could affect policy. People look at that, be it a positive or negative.

BTW, didn't you agree with Carson that a Muslim president wouldn't work for the US?

Time-Immemorial
I do agree but Mormonism and Islam are eniterly different.

Obama is Muslim but lied and said he is Christian to get elected.

Q99

Because there's still a legal struggle to restrict the number of places/put additional hurdles in place/remove hurdles that said struggle has put in place/etc. etc.. Like, there's places where the nearest clinic is hundreds of miles away due to restrictions placed on the clinics. And some people want to put in mandatory waiting times. So in order for someone to have an abortion, they have to drive hundreds of miles, twice. So there's naturally a fight over whether it's legal to do that/require that. And heck, there's even people who try and stop things like morning after piles (which are not in any way an abortion- conception's not instant, it takes til about a week after the act).

I mean, I *wish* it was a done issue, but it's not.

Robtard
I do agree but Mormonism and Islam are eniterly different.

Obama is Muslim but lied and said he is Christian to get elected.

You're doing it again.

Digi
There's a great line in The West Wing - by a Republican, no less - asking that voters not demand that politicians display their religious beliefs, because it's the easiest lie they'll ever tell you. I'm of the mind that very few politicians are devout, on either side. We just necessitate that they lie to us about it due to our behavior, media coverage, and voting habits. In the end, they'll say and vote for what gets them elected.

Star428

First of all, who are you and what have you done with TI?

Just because the SC rules in favor of something doesn't make it right. They also ruled that gay marriages are now legal and that's practically giving God (the real One) the middle finger. Yes, they're both legal in the eyes of man now but to God they're an abomination. These judges on the SC made think they're the "supreme judges" but on Judgment Day they will find out just how wrong they were. thumb up

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Star428
First of all, who are you and what have you done with TI?

Just because the SC rules in favor of something doesn't make it right. They also ruled that gay marriages are now legal and that's practically giving God (the real One) the middle finger. Yes, they're both legal in the eyes of man now but to God they're an abomination. These judges on the SC made think they're the "supreme judges" but on Judgment Day they will find out just how wrong they were. thumb up

You mis understand, people love to talk about abortion, as if the president can change it..

Digi
You're right to an extent, because the Prez can't do anything directly. But Supreme Court appointees are no joke. Abortion isn't the only issue on the line with them, either. So it's a valid consideration, even if I think it's valid because of the totality of the SC's power, not just on this one issue.

Also, abortion isn't exactly a bastion of rational discussion, on either side. There are probably those who think the President CAN do something about it directly.

Star428
You mis understand, people love to talk about abortion, as if the president can change it..

Not legally, no. But, Obama disregards the Constitution all the time and makes up his own laws with all of his "executive orders" he decrees. Now, he talking about changing the second amendment (as if that's in ANY way whatsoever legal without proper ratification).

Also, Digi makes a strong point in that the President can appoint whom he wants to the Supreme Court so he can just appoint Justices who have the same stance as himself on certain key issues.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.