Catching Up

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Pyron_Knight
So most of you probably don't remember me but I was most active on here and in this section back around 2006-2008. That was the peak of my SW fandom. It's also where a lot of my SW knowledge grew and ended. The most "recent" work I've read was the first Legacy comic series.

Of course I have still heard things. I know about the Canon/Legends split, I have heard what they've done to Revan and the Exile, and a bunch of other TOR crap. But I don't care about that.

Is there any later Legends stuff you'd recommend? Or how about the "new canon"? Is TCW worth a look? I hear it retcons a lot of things I know and love from the mid=2000s.

Sinious
Read Plagueis tbh

Lord Lucien
The answer to all your questions is 'no'.

carthage
Fate of the Jedi

Fated Xtasy
Depends on what you like.

For pre-PR I recommend Jedi Apprentice. Gives you a nice insight into the relationship between Jinn and Obi.

For some "character development" regarding Whinykin, and an introduction to a interesting rivalry I'd recommend Jedi Quest.

For something that makes you think Riptide, Crosscurrent are both excellent.

And for a quick read with nice dialogue and character adaptation, go with Dark Forces/ the Jedi Academy trilogy.

Pyron_Knight
I read most of that already. lol The Jedi Apprentice novels were a key part of my younger years.

As I said, it's mostly anything post-2008 I am unfamiliar with.

DarthAnt66
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Depends on what you like.

For pre-PR I recommend Jedi Apprentice. Gives you a nice insight into the relationship between Jinn and Obi.

For some "character development" regarding Whinykin, and an introduction to a interesting rivalry I'd recommend Jedi Quest.

For something that makes you think Riptide, Crosscurrent are both excellent.

And for a quick read with nice dialogue and character adaptation, go with Dark Forces/ the Jedi Academy trilogy.
He basically did a tl;dr of the worst parts of EU.

Deronn_solo
LAL @ anything with Katarn being the worst of the EU. Just die, bro.

DarthAnt66
Well I simply included that given he asked for post 2008 content and Fated gave shit from the 90s.

Fated Xtasy
Most people haven't read JA, or JQ.

A handful have read Crosscurrent and Riptide.

And only a moderate amount of people read DF. Most only know the game.

Also, errybody needs to check out the Jedi Academy trilogy.

Daala and Kyp are golden there.

|King Joker|
Originally posted by Pyron_Knight
Is TCW worth a look? http://31.media.tumblr.com/94617e44707275b795d72355c0b14e07/tumblr_nskl6vzBsl1r2le9xo3_250.gif

Nephthys
No, TCW is not worth a look.

|King Joker|
Ahsoka's character development makes it worth it, tbh.

carthage
Not really

Fated Xtasy
Originally posted by |King Joker|

thumb up

Pyron_Knight
Originally posted by Fated Xtasy
Also, errybody needs to check out the Jedi Academy trilogy.

Daala and Kyp are golden there.

I'm an Exar Kun fan so JA was good for me.

Daala is okay too, although I have no idea why anyone would elect her Chief of State.

Nephthys
Originally posted by |King Joker|

Nothing is worth Jar Jar episodes.

|King Joker|
In all honesty you can skip all the shitty arcs and still be good. Like, that droid arc in S5? Wretched and should have never been made. Skip it and you don't really miss anything important. Go right to the Ahsoka, Ventress, clones (like Umbara and "Rookies"wink episodes, etc. and you're set, IMO.

Sinious
TCW has great episodes tbh. As much as I think the character Maul has been ruined there, his episodes are still wroth watching especially since he is an important character in the franchise. And Yoda's journey in the last 3 episodes were amazing. thumb up

Fated Xtasy
I'm an Exar Kun fan so JA was good for me.

Daala is okay too, although I have no idea why anyone would elect her Chief of State.

NOICE!

and, because Daala's just that good.

But as for your other question. Check out Kanan - The Last Padawan, it's easily one of the most visually appealing Comics out there at the moment, The story's pretty good all things considered, and the references to Shatterpoint get me fangirling(but Depa is my queen so that's a given)

I'd give it a look.

Shattered Empire and the Princess Leia comics are both very underrated IMO.

Pyron_Knight
I was interested in the Leia comics. I always liked Leia. "She's a Skywalker too!" and all that.

Not that I think she has to be a Force prodigy like her bro or her Legends children but she was too often sidelined in the old EU books I read. Make her a good, effective leader. Luke can kick ass during war, Leia can keep the peace and make the galaxy a good place all the other times.

If only she had been Chief of State during the Vong War...

Tzeentch
Daala becoming Chief of State is really just one more example of why the EU needed to die. There comes a point where the writers' desire to build upon old characters and events actively detracts from the logical consistency of the universe. That's why silly things like a war criminal who actively ordered an alien species' extinction becoming the galaxy's chief of state can happen.

Fated Xtasy
I was interested in the Leia comics. I always liked Leia. "She's a Skywalker too!" and all that.

Not that I think she has to be a Force prodigy like her bro or her Legends children but she was too often sidelined in the old EU books I read. Make her a good, effective leader. Luke can kick ass during war, Leia can keep the peace and make the galaxy a good place all the other times.

If only she had been Chief of State during the Vong War...

If you wanna see some Leia Backstory and sweetness. Check out Last of the Jedi and Rebel Force. the first of the two features Leia's own "Obi-Wan" and the second of the two features her more predominantly being a badass.

If you want an example I'll Pm it. cuz it's just that rad

The_Tempest
So most of you probably don't remember me but I was most active on here and in this section back around 2006-2008. That was the peak of my SW fandom. It's also where a lot of my SW knowledge grew and ended. The most "recent" work I've read was the first Legacy comic series.

Of course I have still heard things. I know about the Canon/Legends split, I have heard what they've done to Revan and the Exile, and a bunch of other TOR crap. But I don't care about that.

Is there any later Legends stuff you'd recommend? Or how about the "new canon"? Is TCW worth a look? I hear it retcons a lot of things I know and love from the mid=2000s.

TCW is a mixed bag. When it sucks, it approaches SWTOR levels. When it rocks, it kicked a lot of ass.

Darth Thor
I liked the balance TCW had.

It'd go from Zombie episodes, through Godzilla episodes, more Mythological stuff like the Force Wielders to Jar Jar & C-3P0 episodes and then go to some pretty interesting political episodes. We saw more Boba, introduced to one of the now most popular bounty hunters- Cad Bane, and it made Anakin a likable character.

And of course there were those few fantastic Sith episodes.

Raptor22
Originally posted by Darth Thor
I liked the balance TCW had.

It'd go from Zombie episodes, through Godzilla episodes, more Mythological stuff like the Force Wielders to Jar Jar & C-3P0 episodes and then go to some pretty interesting political episodes. We saw more Boba, introduced to one of the now most popular bounty hunters- Cad Bane, and it made Anakin a likable character.

And of course there were those few fantastic Sith episodes. also some of the episodes focusing on the clones were excellent as well. Id be hard pressed to think of any characters/story arcs throughout the whole mythos that hit me in the feelings harder than 99 and fives.

Beniboybling
I would definitely watch TCW, if only to judge it's quality for yourself.

Can't think of much that has happened in Legends of note since 2008 though aside from TOR. So I'd recommend starting with the new Canon.

|King Joker|
I laughed when 99 died.

NewGuy01
You heartless monster!

|King Joker|
Ikr?

Slash_KMC
I wrote a fanfic once that you should really read.

Tzeentch
Go away *****.

Slash_KMC
-insert hearts-

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.