Obama sends ground troops to Syria

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/u-s-deploy-special-operations-forces-syria-official-n454506

Surtur
Man it sure does suck that the middle east literally has no troops of its own from the various countries that could act as ground troops.

Just sucks nobody in those countries volunteered to serve their country.

Flyattractor
Those countries have plenty of TROOPS in them.

They are called Terrorists.

Robtard
Having read the story: It's a very small contingent (50 or so) of special forces operatives sent in to work alongside groups there.

Flyattractor
Just think of the pleasure that Obama will have in the last days of his administration when he recalls them, brings them home, and then FIRES them.

Ahh good times for Obama!

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
Man it sure does suck that the middle east literally has no troops of its own from the various countries that could act as ground troops.

Just sucks nobody in those countries volunteered to serve their country.
Right now the Arab nations have their hands full with Yemen. Intervening in Syria would probably end up causing a war between Iran and the Gulf Arab states.

Surtur
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Right now the Arab nations have their hands full with Yemen. Intervening in Syria would probably end up causing a war between Iran and the Gulf Arab states.

But doesn't the combined number of troops from the various countries number in at least the several millions range? Admittedly I heard that from Bill Maher so make of that what you will.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Omega Vision

...and that would be BAD because???

Surtur
On the other hand if they are going to be bothering to actually send in ground troops then I say why don't they send enough troops to wipe ISIS off the map?

Flyattractor
Obama is going to let His Russian Pal Pooty handle that mess....right after he squashes the Syrian Freedom/Rebel Fighters.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
But doesn't the combined number of troops from the various countries number in at least the several millions range? Admittedly I heard that from Bill Maher so make of that what you will.
Well here's the thing about the Gulf States. They're well equipped and when they pull their resources together they have lots of manpower, but most of them have militaries that are basically created for internal security first and territorial defense second. They aren't militaries for launching foreign campaigns.

The only two countries in the Middle East who could launch a full-scale ground intervention in Syria are Egypt and Turkey. But both of them are more distracted by internal problems right now, with Egypt fighting ISIS-alligned militants in the Sinai and Turkey quarreling with its Kurdish population and the PKK. Also, Egypt is basically on friendly terms with Al-Assad because they share a common distrust of Western meddling and Islamists and both want to keep their people oppressed.

Time-Immemorial
http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/31/politics/donald-trump-syria-super-pacs/index.html?eref=rss_topstories

Trump slams Obama

Mindset
Weren't the Delta Force already in Syria?

Time-Immemorial
That was Iraq.

Mindset
http://abcnews.go.com/International/delta-force-commandos-kill-key-isis-leader-ground/story?id=31092834

Time-Immemorial
Wait was the that one were the guy just died? I thought it was in Iraq, if not, my bad.

Mindset
That may have been in Iraq, not sure.

I think they've had at least a couple operations in Syria though, including the one I posted.

Time-Immemorial
Its so sad what has happened with Delta, they technically don't exist, now they are being called out in public.

Omega Vision
Typical Trump. Criticize without proposing a solution.

Time-Immemorial
Was it pretty stupid for Obama to announce to the world that he is sending in SF to Syria?

Shouldn't he be doing something called "Covert Operations."

Mindset
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Was it pretty stupid for Obama to announce to the world that he is sending in SF to Syria?

Shouldn't he be doing something called "Covert Operations." I don't think it matters really.

Time-Immemorial
Why though, why can't we not tell the world about every single thing we are doing?

Mindset
I don't see how the world knowing SF are in Syria changes anything.

As long as specifics aren't mentioned, it doesn't matter.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Mindset
I don't see how the world knowing SF are in Syria changes anything.

As long as specifics aren't mentioned, it doesn't matter.

Its going to take months to get them in, and most of that is because we announced they are coming. I don't think you ever been in country like this, but its dangerous as hell to send anyone over there with minimal support like we are. These guys are pro's but they need secrecy, thats were the advantage is.

Mindset
No one knows where or when they are being sent.

It is secret.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Mindset
No one knows where or when they are being sent.

It is secret.

http://images.killermovies.com/forums/user_sigs/1/9/customsig_83719_UD.gif

Bardock42
Okay, so, now that he sends ground troops in, the new Republican spin is that he shouldn't have talked about it....

Bentley
Originally posted by Bardock42
Okay, so, now that he sends ground troops in, the new Republican spin is that he shouldn't have talked about it....

In that narrative Obama would benefit from his people to feel threatened and helpless.

Unless the republicans are the ones supposed to benefit from that?

Bardock42
Originally posted by Bentley
In that narrative Obama would benefit from his people to feel threatened and helpless.

I think the narrative on the Republican side is to find anything wrong. For months they've been pushing for ground troops in Syria, now that Obama sends ground troops to Syria the tune changes and he shouldn't talk about sending them (although Republicans have been loudly talking about their intentions to have that happen).

The Republican strategy is not so much to make themselves look good, but to make Obama look bad, and I think it is backfiring for them, making them seem incapable of standing up to the boogeyman caricature that they draw.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bentley

Where are you getting this vast republican strategy?

I made an observation about the present situation..

Arabian Knight
More infidel feet on Muslim land. Disgusting.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.