Star Trek: Discovery

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Bashar Teg
http://money.cnn.com/2015/11/02/media/star-trek-series-cbs/index.html

i hope it's a return to true scifi instead of more of that idiotic nu-trek garbage, but either way, new star trek show is on the way thumb up

BruceSkywalker
i am both excited and thrilled for this

Robtard
Saw this earlier in the movie section, despite this being posted first. Can't wait, been too long since we had a Trek series.

Bashar Teg
i wont get excited until i see an episode. i learned my lesson from enterprise and voyager.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
i wont get excited until i see an episode. i learned my lesson from enterprise and voyager.
Both decent shows. In fact if Enterprise had been allowed to continue it might have become the best series of the bunch. The last two seasons were great, and things were just getting exciting with the Romulans when the network pulled the plug.

Voyager was pretty watchable.

Scoobless
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Both decent shows. In fact if Enterprise had been allowed to continue it might have become the best series of the bunch. The last two seasons were great, and things were just getting exciting with the Romulans when the network pulled the plug.

Enterprise season 3 was great, the rest was just so so.
Voyager had it's good and bad points, anytime the story focused on Neelix I got instantly bored though.

-Pr-
TBH I thought Enterprise season 4 was just as good. Bar the ending anyway.

Voyager... Eww.

Surtur
I actually enjoyed the NuTrek films. They were of a faster pace then the other films, but I didn't dislike it. I thought Kirk and Spock were spot on with casting and mannerisms. I thought most of the casting was spot on. I liked the little things they added as well like the reason McCoy is called "Bones". The lens flares were awful though.

With that said I have always felt that Trek is best as a series, not a movie or even a trilogy of movies. It's about exploration, not of just one place, but of many. You need more then 1 or 2 or 3 films to do it justice.

I also enjoyed Enterprise, I was intrigued by the time war storyline. I actually prefer TNG over any other Trek show, my least favorite for some reason is DS9.

The original series was also good and some episodes could mess with your head. Like the episode where Spock is possessed by an alien..you see Spock actually smiling all throughout the episode. This just comes off as deeply unsettling because you've never really seen him smile. Though the dickery of Shatner on set is also legendary. Also Gene Rodenberry could be a tool as well.

Funny thing is though as much as there seems to be a rivalry between Trek and Star Wars...we have more Star Trek as a direct result of SW's. The success of SW's was what made them decide to make the films and then those films eventually lead to various new series. Perhaps this is why some do not like NuTrek, JJ Abrams has flat out said he was looking at the movie as a Star Wars fan. In other words, thinking to himself "Okay when is the moment Luke see's the twin suns" etc. That's another reason the pace of the new films seems to be quicker.

I remember being excited before "Star Trek Into Darkness" came out because there were rumors the main villain would turn out to be Gary Mitchell.

Robtard
Originally posted by Omega Vision

Agreed, don't think Enterprise deserves the flak it got/gets. It wasn't on par with TNG or DS9, imo, but I enjoyed it overall; especially the later episodes.

Nephthys
Enterprise was absolutely horrendous.

Most of the shows were terrible at the start of their runs, tbf. Early TNG was awful for example.

Surtur
But Enterprise got better by the later seasons. I also think there is terrible and then there is TERRIBLE. The early TNG episodes are hilariously bad in a lot of ways. There were still some great episodes in that first season, but a lot of bad ones. Also some of the costumes were horrible. "The Naked Now" is something that could of only ever been made in the 80's.

Wil Wheaton did some pretty funny reviews on the early episodes of TNG. Not only are they humorous, but they contain information only someone who was there could tell you.

Arachnid1
I'm looking forward to this. Should be good

-Pr-
Originally posted by Surtur
But Enterprise got better by the later seasons. I also think there is terrible and then there is TERRIBLE. The early TNG episodes are hilariously bad in a lot of ways. There were still some great episodes in that first season, but a lot of bad ones. Also some of the costumes were horrible. "The Naked Now" is something that could of only ever been made in the 80's.

Wil Wheaton did some pretty funny reviews on the early episodes of TNG. Not only are they humorous, but they contain information only someone who was there could tell you.

iirc the Naked Now was a direct remake of that TOS episode. Can't remember the name though.

Ushgarak
The Naked Time.

And 'Naked Now' was not even really an 80s episode; it was an adapted Roddenberry idea that was originally planned for the first Star Trek follow up series, Phase II, in the 70s (which was abandoned when they did TMP instead). That's why everyone is totally out of character.

The first series in particular of TNG is shockingly bad when you go back to it. It's definitely a show whose later triumphs obliterated its past.

My hope is that we one day get a Star Trek series where the final episode is actually any damn good. What stuns me is that 'All Good Things' was completely derivative and shot full of plot holes even AFTER the major plot hole in it was changed at the last moment because Patrick Stewart of all people pointed it out...

... and it's still the best finale. At least it was fun.

Enterprise managed to up the ante here by having the worst ST finale ever (I don't mind the idea of having Riker and co looking back at Enterprise as a general episode pitch, but it was cripplingly stupid as a finale. Most the cast loathed it, particularly Trip)

-Pr-
^ That's the one. thumb up

Nephthys
I'm not sure if it was worse than Enterprise (personally I think Archer is by far the worst captain ever, the man literally committed genocide, backstabbed his own allies and complained when his dog pee'd on a species' sacred relic) but Voyager was pretty terrible as well. And it only ever got mediocre in the middle when 7 of 9 joined.

Voyager also destroyed the Q and the Borgs credibility single-handedly which is almost impressive actually.

BruceSkywalker
best trek is TNG , hands down... followed by DS9...

Voyager only got decent once Jeri Ryan joined.. Never ever get me started on Enterprise because that show should never be mentioned

Darth Thor
Next Gen was the best series, but the Original crew had the best movies.

DS9 was great too. Very different (some would argue it wasn't very Star Trek) but a very deep show. Although it didn't have enough memorable characters like TOS and TNG IMO.

Voyager and Enterprise both sucked really. Although tbf I didn't watch their whole run (seen most of Voyager though).

MF DELPH
Originally posted by -Pr-
TBH I thought Enterprise season 4 was just as good. Bar the ending anyway.

Voyager... Eww.

Pretty much. Enterprise started out slowly but once the Xindi/Sphere builder arc kicked in it was great. Plus Shran.

Voyager watered down the franchise's best villains simply for lack of creativity on the part of the writers, though we did get Seven of Nine's collection of body suits as part of the deal. I also found most of the Chakotay based episodes offensive as f*ck. Space Indians, bruh? Really? That was right up there with the TNG season 1 Space Africans that had huts with automatic doors and ritualistic Mortal Kombat sessions on a death laser reinforced jungle gym.

Robtard
Some of my favorite Enterprise eps dealt with the Augments (like Khan) and how they tied that in to retroactively explain why Klingons in the TOS were basically dark-skinned humans with goatees instead of the crabheads we know them to be now.

If you've not seen them, it's worth the watch even if you hated Enterprise and quit early on. All Season four:

-Borderland
-Cold Station 12
-The Augments

-Affliction
-Divergence

-Pr-
Originally posted by MF DELPH
Pretty much. Enterprise started out slowly but once the Xindi/Sphere builder arc kicked in it was great. Plus Shran.

Voyager watered down the franchise's best villains simply for lack of creativity on the part of the writers, though we did get Seven of Nine's collection of body suits as part of the deal. I also found most of the Chakotay based episodes offensive as f*ck. Space Indians, bruh? Really? That was right up there with the TNG season 1 Space Africans that had huts with automatic doors and ritualistic Mortal Kombat sessions on a death laser reinforced jungle gym.

Robert Beltran (Chakotay himself) was pretty vocal about how badly they treated him, iirc.

Yep. Not to mention the space Irish.

Originally posted by Robtard
Some of my favorite Enterprise eps dealt with the Augments (like Khan) and how they tied that in to retroactively explain why Klingons in the TOS were basically dark-skinned humans with goatees instead of the crabheads we know them to be now.

If you've not seen them, it's worth the watch even if you hated Enterprise and quit early on. All Season four:

-Borderland
-Cold Station 12
-The Augments

-Affliction
-Divergence

thumb up Solid episodes.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Ushgarak

My hope is that we one day get a Star Trek series where the final episode is actually any damn good.

i'll be happy if they don't screw up the entire last season like they did with ds9.

Flyattractor
Voyager Series 2 on its way!

Darth Thor

-Borderland
-Cold Station 12
-The Augments

-Affliction
-Divergence

Is the whole of S4 worth watching?

Robtard
I thought so, as I feel Enterprise wasn't the heaping pile of many others feel it is.

But if you're not a fan on Enterprise, it's still worth watching those six episodes back-to-back for the Augment and Klingon lore.

Darth Thor
I thought so, as I feel Enterprise wasn't the heaping pile of many others feel it is.

But if you're not a fan on Enterprise, it's still worth watching those six episodes back-to-back for the Augment and Klingon lore.

thumb up

Will give them a watch since I'm in the mood for some new Trek episodes (but not sucky ones). Pretty sure I've seen the first 3 you mentioned many many years ago, but will watch them again before watching the last 2 you've said.

Surtur
Speaking of series finales it was Enterprise that got the BIGGEST shaft. It went beyond just being bad and was actually disrespectful to the entire cast.

quanchi112
I actually enjoyed the NuTrek films. They were of a faster pace then the other films, but I didn't dislike it. I thought Kirk and Spock were spot on with casting and mannerisms. I thought most of the casting was spot on. I liked the little things they added as well like the reason McCoy is called "Bones". The lens flares were awful though.

With that said I have always felt that Trek is best as a series, not a movie or even a trilogy of movies. It's about exploration, not of just one place, but of many. You need more then 1 or 2 or 3 films to do it justice.

I also enjoyed Enterprise, I was intrigued by the time war storyline. I actually prefer TNG over any other Trek show, my least favorite for some reason is DS9.

The original series was also good and some episodes could mess with your head. Like the episode where Spock is possessed by an alien..you see Spock actually smiling all throughout the episode. This just comes off as deeply unsettling because you've never really seen him smile. Though the dickery of Shatner on set is also legendary. Also Gene Rodenberry could be a tool as well.

Funny thing is though as much as there seems to be a rivalry between Trek and Star Wars...we have more Star Trek as a direct result of SW's. The success of SW's was what made them decide to make the films and then those films eventually lead to various new series. Perhaps this is why some do not like NuTrek, JJ Abrams has flat out said he was looking at the movie as a Star Wars fan. In other words, thinking to himself "Okay when is the moment Luke see's the twin suns" etc. That's another reason the pace of the new films seems to be quicker.

I remember being excited before "Star Trek Into Darkness" came out because there were rumors the main villain would turn out to be Gary Mitchell. NuTrek was amazing and Into Darkness was a masterpiece.

Darth Thor
Oh cool, I'll be able to watch this without any extra subscriptions or illegal downloads:

http://variety.com/2016/digital/global/netflix-exclusive-international-new-star-trek-series-1201816219/

steverules_2
Originally posted by Darth Thor
Oh cool, I'll be able to watch this without any illegal downloads

Well now I've lost all interest I had for this

BruceSkywalker
new show is called Star Trek: Discovery

http://deadline.com/2016/07/star-trek-tv-series-comic-con-50th-anniversary-panel-bryan-fuller-william-shatner-brent-spiner-1201791545/

Darth Thor
So it's another prequel series:

http://m.uk.ign.com/articles/2016/08/11/star-trek-discovery-will-have-a-female-lead-is-set-10-years-before-kirk-took-command-of-enterprise

Robtard
Let's hope this female lead has more screen presence then typically boring Janeway was.

quanchi112
Set in the prime timeline sounds like the old regime. Shame.

-Pr-
Let's hope this female lead has more screen presence then typically boring Janeway was.

Presence yes, time no. I really don't want to see it be about two characters more than anyone else.

Robtard
Presence yes, time no. I really don't want to see it be about two characters more than anyone else.

Agreed, Trek's more enjoyable when the character focus is wide and not narrow, aside from the occasional character-specific driven episode. Those are a mix bag for me, eg Worf centric eps were great, La Forge, not so much.

BruceSkywalker
hate that this is set 10 years prior to Kirk.. also hope the female captain is take charge and badass instead of wimpy Janeway

Stealth Moose
Agreed, Trek's more enjoyable when the character focus is wide and not narrow, aside from the occasional character-specific driven episode. Those are a mix bag for me, eg Worf centric eps were great, La Forge, not so much.

But La Forge episodes always dealt with how much he got thrown around, which was ten times worse than Worf.

-Pr-
TNG was a decent balance, but I honestly think DS9 had the best template. I don't think there was a single character in that show that felt wasted. Hell, even Ezri, that got a total of one whole season, still got plenty of attention.

Robtard
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
But La Forge episodes always dealt with how much he got thrown around, which was ten times worse than Worf.

Was never much of a La Forge fan I guess. Don't dislike the character, but I'd bever name him a favorite.

-Pr-
I'd imagine that's how most people feel about him. Not a reflection on Burton as an actor though; dude was great.

Surtur
He's not a bad actor/rainbow reader, but boy howdy yeah La Forge was dull.

But even worse was Wesley. Not just for the way he acted but for the horrible 80's clothes we had to see him wearing. From the very beginning I just thought dear god just make the kid a f*cking officer already so he can put on a uniform. Anything to make it so he isn't allowed to choose his own outfits.

-Pr-
Nobody liked Wesley; I'd be surprised if his own mother did.

Surtur
I just have a vivid memory of getting my eyeballs raped by this outfit:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdx7tjtkHc1rw5r49.jpg

Stealth Moose
I just have a vivid memory of getting my eyeballs raped by this outfit:

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdx7tjtkHc1rw5r49.jpg

I lol'd.

Darth Thor
Given this is in the Prime timeline, would be nice to see a bit of time travel getting little bits of the Next Gen/DS9 era.

Surtur
Some news: the series was set to premiere in January and has now been pushed back to May. Apparently in order to attempt to make the special effects better.

Though it does show the level of confidence they have in the series if they think it can begin airing in May and do well. Not that shows that air during the summer have never done well..it's just usually not as good a time to be airing it. Especially since I'm sure Trek is probably going to be one of the more expensive shows CBS has.

The first episode will air on tv and the remaining 12 will be put on this online subscription service for CBS. Which means I'll be forced to download the show.

-Pr-
I'll just watch it on Netflix as i'm not in North America.

I'm not sure they're as confident as they might seem. We got absolutely no announcement on the actual anniversary of Star Trek, and it makes me wonder why they said January when they haven't even cast most of the show from what I've read.

Surtur
Yeah they are still casting some people. But apparently people complained about the crappy special effects in the trailer.

So they could of set it to air in May just because they think the series will fail and thus didn't want to take up any primetime spots.

The problem is that while I have no problems with the Kelvin timeline..I would not want a Trek tv show to be set at the same pace as those movies. Which I get the feeling that is what they are going to try to do. With a focus on action as opposed to character development and stories that really make you think.

Firefly218
Nobody liked Wesley; I'd be surprised if his own mother did. I was a kid watching tng and I fuking loved wesley. Looking back on it though I can understand why ppl wouldn't care about him, the boy genius who's never wrong or never makes mistakes.

Surtur
I'm guessing that is why they tossed in the character. So even little kids too young to really know any better might have some character to "relate" to.

Wil Wheaton did say that one time on set this one actor called him a pussy due to the fact he didn't play football. So it was kind of worth it.

Firefly218
I'm guessing that is why they tossed in the character. So even little kids too young to really know any better might have some character to "relate" to.

Wil Wheaton did say that one time on set this one actor called him a pussy due to the fact he didn't play football. So it was kind of worth it. I think having a kid on board could've been cool. Most of the fault should lie on the writers of season 1 who screwed it up. They could've played with the angst of a kid who doesn't fit in with all the adults but badly wants to. Or any number of interesting things, but instead they opted for the boring perfect boy genius angle.

Darth Thor
The youngsters growing up throughout the series thing worked much better on DS9 with Nog and Jake IMO.

Robtard
Originally posted by Firefly218
I was a kid watching tng and I fuking loved wesley. Looking back on it though I can understand why ppl wouldn't care about him, the boy genius who's never wrong or never makes mistakes.

KL3WbzUAEok

https://youtu.be/KL3WbzUAEok

Firefly218
The youngsters growing up throughout the series thing worked much better on DS9 with Nog and Jake IMO. thumb up

Surtur
Basically because Nog and Jake acted like actual kids would.

Plus I can believe in aliens and omnipotent beings, but I refuse to believe Ashley Judd would ever be interested in Wesley Crusher.

Bashar Teg
The youngsters growing up throughout the series thing worked much better on DS9 with Nog and Jake IMO.

i thought jake was really annoying. not quite on the level of wesley, but not that far off...especially in the later seasons.

Darth Thor
Go Trekkies:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-cast-member-behind-trek-against-trump-defends-statement-561033

Surtur
Noticing that Lavarr Burton also directed a decent number of Voyager episodes.

Surtur
Go Trekkies:

http://www.idigitaltimes.com/star-trek-cast-member-behind-trek-against-trump-defends-statement-561033

I disagree, I don't like how they are essentially getting political and telling Trek fans to vote for a specific person.

I'd prefer they leave the politics out of it, just concentrate on making good Trek, we don't need to hear about who you want to be president.

Bashar Teg
and here i thought quark would be a trump supporter.

Robtard
Go Trekkies:

"Trek Against Trump"

thumb up

Darth Thor
and here i thought quark would be a trump supporter.

I don't even think the character of Quark would be a Trump supporter.

Remember he was a people's person. He wasn't about exclusivity.

And in fact he could have been much more successful had he sold weapons for a living, but chose not to do so.

-Pr-
Yep; it's the reason he and Gaila didn't get along.

Bashar Teg
I don't even think the character of Quark would be a Trump supporter.

Remember he was a people's person. He wasn't about exclusivity.

And in fact he could have been much more successful had he sold weapons for a living, but chose not to do so.

quark's whole race is all about unregulated free trade, hyper-mysogyny, absolute anti-union, and zero taxes.
he did soften after the first couple of seasons, but still my point stands. trump would have been very popular on ferenginar.

Firefly218
So Bryan Fuller is stepping down as showrunner

http://tvline.com/2016/10/26/star-trek-discovery-bryan-fuller-showrunner-stepping-down/

-Pr-
Yeah I'm not sure what to think about it.

Bashar Teg
for me, it's tough too confident and excited over it, considering the progressively worse track record of ST series after DS9.

Bashar Teg
draco malfoy's dad is gonna be the newest starfleet captain.

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-captain-jason-isaacs/

Robtard
He's a good actor and British, so good move, imo.

Firefly218

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-trek-discovery-captain-jason-isaacs/ Not a very inspired choice. I was looking for something new so this makes me slightly less excited. If the show is actually good it'll cure most misgivings

BruceSkywalker

he is a talented actor so this might turn out good fterall

Flyattractor
Now you Leftist have to suck the FUN out of Star Trek as well?

My jeebus you guys really do SUCK THE FUN OUT OF EVERYTHING....but then I remind myself this is TV Trek, and that hasn't been any fun for decades.

Flyattractor

Wait...Wasn't the New Captain supposed to be a babe?

What happened to that?

-Pr-
There's at least two ships. Michelle Yeoh captains one, Jason Isaacs the other.

Flyattractor
Ahhhh 10-Q.

Bashar Teg
limegreenphag needs attention again

Flyattractor
limegreenphag needs attention again

Hey. The LimeGreenDoucheBag is just a Casual Star Trek Fan. I aint a hard core Fan-atic like you BashyBuns.

Bashar Teg
mmhmm, your parents ignored you from infancy, go on....

Flyattractor
Yes. They did. Are you trying to derail this thread fromits topic? I may have to report you for that. Or are you just going all Empath/Betazoid on me?

Bashar Teg
heavy drug abuse, irreparable brain damage...yes, continue...

Flyattractor
You really shouldn't. Its bad for you.

Robtard
There's at least two ships. Michelle Yeoh captains one, Jason Isaacs the other.

That'll be interesting then, do wonder how they'll balance screen/story time between the ships.

BruceSkywalker
as spock would say "Fascinating" ...

http://deadline.com/2017/05/cbs-star-trek-discovery-trailer-first-look-video-1202096019/

Darth Thor
^ Not available for me.

Kazenji
My guess is CBS took it down

try this one

f8mesUEFjas

Kazenji
Seen another trailer for it, Starts off different to that one.

Darth Thor
^ Yep seen it now thanks.

Was advertised as a Netflix thing here.

Nothing overly exciting there, but still looking forward to it. And like how the effects are so much better than in the "old days" of Next Gen, DS9 and Enterprise.

Robtard
Can watch it here if need be: http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-trailer-for-star-trek-discovery-is-here-to-b-1795312040

Have to say, I'm excited, been WAY too long since we've had a Trek show.

jaden101
Apart from the space shots and the panoramic shots that looks ****ing honking.

Flyattractor
Can watch it here if need be: http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-first-trailer-for-star-trek-discovery-is-here-to-b-1795312040

Have to say, I'm excited, been WAY too long since we've had a Trek show.

Been even longer since we had a GOOD one.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by jaden101
Apart from the space shots and the panoramic shots that looks ****ing honking.

agreed. looks like crap. the klingons look awful as well.

jaden101
agreed. looks like crap. the klingons look awful as well.

The acting was that bad I thought someone had overdubbed it for a joke. Especially the opening lines in the trailer.

carthage
I've seen about 4 episodes of the Next Generation with my Uncle whose seen all of the series ever since the first one/the movies. I like Star Trek but don't consider myself a hardcore fan. This seems fine the Asian actress troubles me a little and the guy who is playing the Vulcan teacher seems a little stilted, but other than that it looks fine. I really need to finally sit down and watch the Next Generation though, I saw an episode where Picard got assimilated by a Borg cube- and they had to board the ship to rescue him and I really liked it.

Flyattractor
Voyager's Harry Kim gets no respect I tell ya.

jaden101
Originally posted by Flyattractor
Voyager's Harry Kim gets no respect I tell ya.

Not even as Buster Kincaid.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by jaden101
Not even as Buster Kincaid.

I missed that episode.

Bashar Teg
oh god it's gonna be ghostbusters all over again. not only will it be a huge disappointment but also it will be a lightning rod for all the anti-feminist edgelords to rally against. watch.

Flyattractor
That is kind of funny seeing as how the ones to lead the charge will probably Be the Feminists.

Bashar Teg
http://i.imgur.com/crClrO9.gif

it begins

Flyattractor
And all for only $10 a month!

Darth Thor
^ Haha I forgot audiences in the States would have to subscribe to a new channel for it. That's so not gonna work out for them.

Flyattractor
Especially if that is the only "New"content on the channel.

Fuh dat. It can wait for disk.

-Pr-
The one thing that bothered me most about the trailer is just how... Generic, it looked. It didn't look like Star Trek bar when the Vulcans were actually on-screen, to me.

I'm not a fan of the Klink redesign, but I wasn't really expecting them to be exactly the same as before either.

Flyattractor
So is this supposed to be in Classic TV Trek or Movie Reboot Verse? Cause the "new klinks" make me think Reboot.

-Pr-
When they started the show, the producers said it was going to be the prime universe (main timeline), but now, I dunno. My guess is that it isn't a reboot, but a reimagining. Modernise the shit out of it etc.

Just... They went a bit far.

marwash22
I was never into Star Trek before the new movies; the catalog of shows just seems like a lot to jump into.

This seems like a new start, so I'll give it a try.

Stealth Moose
When they started the show, the producers said it was going to be the prime universe (main timeline), but now, I dunno. My guess is that it isn't a reboot, but a reimagining. Modernise the shit out of it etc.

Just... They went a bit far.

Very far. I'm not sure why they even bothered with a prequel style series anyways.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Stealth Moose
Very far. I'm not sure why they even bothered with a prequel style series anyways.

Something something Kirk prequel era Abrams etc.

==

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/22/star-trek-discovery-diversity/

So-so article in general. The thing that stuck out to me was "never been done before". Why, because an ultra-progressive future where race and gender don't matter is somehow going to be different because she's black (like Sisko?) or a woman (like Janeway?).

There is a lot that Star Trek can do, but I really dislike this attitude that the casting alone is somehow breaking new ground.

Personally, I'm more worried about her being a Mary Sue. First human ever to go to the Vulcan science academy? Yeah, that'll go well, if they follow established canon.

Which they probably won't.

Darth Thor
First human ever to go to the Vulcan science academy? Yeah, that'll go well, if they follow established canon.

Yeah that shouldn't be possible, unless she has a genetically enhanced intellect like Dr. Bashir.

-Pr-
New trailer:

https://streamable.com/drqpi

The un-Trekkiest Star Trek yet.

Flyattractor
So is that a Bad Thing then?

-Pr-
So is that a Bad Thing then?

Well... Yeah. Star Trek is supposed to BE like Star Trek.

Flyattractor
But how long has it been since Star Trek was "Star Trek"?

Surtur

How long has it been since Enterprise ended? 13 years or so? Yeah. Trek is best when they have a chance to develop the characters. It's easier to do when you have 22 40 minute episodes per season as opposed to 2 hour long movies that come every 2-3 years.

The quality of the movies is dipping though. I have tried 3 separate times to watch Star Trek Beyond. The furthest I have gotten is like an hour into it.

Darth Thor

The quality of the movies is dipping though. I have tried 3 separate times to watch Star Trek Beyond. The furthest I have gotten is like an hour into it.

Not surprising. It's a boring film. Reminded me of the weaker Next Gen films.

It flopped at the BO as well.

Talon Fang
^ Haha I forgot audiences in the States would have to subscribe to a new channel for it. That's so not gonna work out for them.

Were/Are they going to only make U.S "fans" pay or subscribe to the service?

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Talon Fang
Were/Are they going to only make U.S "fans" pay or subscribe to the service?

Will be available on Netflix for the rest of us. But apparently won't be available on U.S. Netflix.

-Pr-

Basically Enterprise. And parts of Star Trek Beyond.

==

So apparently ST: Discovery is gonna be TV-MA. I really hope this isn't Stargate Universe all over again.

BruceSkywalker
this better be good otherwise people will pay

Darth Thor
So this has been getting great reviews (the first 2 episodes that is). Including from Sam Witwer who I trust.

-Pr-
I'm really sceptical, but obviously I'm gonna watch it.

Surtur

-Pr-
I'd heard about this, but hadn't actually read any details on it. TBH, if they had set it after Voyager, put it in the Alpha Quadrant and came up with a new species to do all this with, I wouldn't mind one bit. The universe is made up of all kinds.

But the ****ing Klingons? No. **** that.

Surtur
So thanks politics, you most likely destroyed something else.

If the show fails we know why. Oh well, a shame though.

BackFire
This show is airing exclusively on the CBS streaming service right? Only the first episode is airing on the actual network?

Surtur
Yep. You gotta pay to get your Trump Klingons.

BackFire
Do I, though? Do I?

I'm not planning on watching this either way. Hell I've never even watched TNG or the other ST iterations.

Surtur
Originally posted by BackFire
Do I, though? Do I?

I'm not planning on watching this either way. Hell I've never even watched TNG or the other ST iterations.

That's good, you don't know what the show might have been then until the SJW bullshit got in the way. So even if you do watch it you will be fortunate, you won't have anything to compare it to. After all, someone who has never eaten a single thing in their life probably thinks a piece of stale bread tastes like filet mignon.

BackFire
The only Star Trek I've watched is the first season of the original show. I did enjoy it, but I never finished. I've attempted to start TNG a few times but always have trouble getting into it. Also the immense number of episodes kind of intimidates me from really trying to watch it as it would be a pretty big and long term endeavor. One day, though.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by BackFire
The only Star Trek I've watched is the first season of the original show. I did enjoy it, but I never finished. I've attempted to start TNG a few times but always have trouble getting into it.

you're dead to me now.

BackFire
sad

Darth Thor
Huh Trumpster Klingons sounds strange to me given I always saw Klingons more like some of the extreme Muslims sects- as in can have a sense of honour but can also be a bit too violent.

Trump would be more of a Gul Dukat in my eyes.

-Pr-
Well they are warrior conquerors. They have something of a class system, but by and large it's a meritocracy, and of course their own lore is that they killed their own gods. So it's more philosophers instead of priests that guide them.

Oh, Dukat is straight-up Hitler.

BruceSkywalker
this better be good on sunday

Arachnid1
Yeah I'll give this a look. Hopefully they knock it out of the park

Surtur
Originally posted by Arachnid1
Yeah I'll give this a look. Hopefully they knock it out of the park

I will too, but I am not holding my breath they will knock it out of the park.

Sable
Starts tonight. Got it on record

Flyattractor
Good Idea. Then if it sucks You can have the pleasure of Deleting it.

cdtm
15 minutes in, and not impressed.

The space suit into an asteroid field with a 20 minute time limit 'till radiation poisoning is all kinds of stupid.

And I don't like the Klingon designs.. They look like they're covered in baby oil or something..

cdtm
And dna unspooling? They making that shit up?

I thought radiation damages dna, not unspools is like paper towels..

cdtm
And they bring race into it.

Glad I won't be paying for their service.

Flyattractor
So just how SJW is this New Trek?

riv6672
Originally posted by cdtm
15 minutes in, and not impressed.

The space suit into an asteroid field with a 20 minute time limit 'till radiation poisoning is all kinds of stupid.

And I don't like the Klingon designs.. They look like they're covered in baby oil or something..
Was this on today?
Totally forgot.
From this and your other posts, i dont think i missed anything. I'll stick to The Orville, which is surprisingly good, considering the source.

BruceSkywalker
watched the first episode.. truly disappointed on how the klingons look.
the story itself lacked vision. sonequa martin-green could've been better.

overall this show was not good

marwash22
my only frame of reference for Star Trek is the new movies, so I can watch this w/o a jaded viewpoint.

marwash22
i enjoyed the first episode. Something about Sonequa's line delivery early in the episode was off, but by the end it was better.

marwash22
Originally posted by cdtm
And dna unspooling? They making that shit up?

I thought radiation damages dna, not unspools is like paper towels..

They aren't making it up. Radiation does damage dna, and when your cells try to repair the damaged dna it can go wrong, resulting in mutation. I assume that machine she was in was making sure her cells were properly repaired.

Surtur
Lol good lord that episode was bad. What was the point of this series? Setting a huge pile of cash on fire in the middle of the street would have been more productive.

I guess to be fair, it's not like Trek shows are known for having amazing first seasons and pilot episodes, but shit there was at least that feeling of what it could become for those shows. This is not the 90s anymore, you won't get an extra 2-3 years to make it watchable.

And here is where the stupidity comes in: it's not like I wouldn't be willing to give it another chance, but not if you need to pay for some streaming service. They should either have chosen to air all the episodes on tv or to put them on netflix. I would never pay for a streaming service for one specific channel. I will do hulu or netflix that get a variety of things from different places.

cdtm
Yeah, that's the main thing. You could usually get away with a bad start on network tv, but if you want me to shell out even more money for your service you'd better put your best foot forward out the gate.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>