Is Hell really that scary???

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

0mega Spawn
Though im not religious im curious if people find hell to actually be scary. Our society as of now with books & movies has so many interpretations of what hell is. These interpretations all have an eternal form of punishment.
Would eternal pain not get old? Can you suffer forever without eventually getting used to it?

long pig
Biblically, the word "hell" is translated from 3 different words that mean three different things.

A. One hell is simply the grave.
B. One is the place winners go now
C. And one is a place that doesn't exist yet: the lake of fire.

In the end, both A&B are thrown into C. The lake of fire doesn't torture, it destroys from existence. All the bad things are thrown in the lake and destroyed.

The bible says dozens of time that sinners etc are destroyed. It never says you're tortured for eternity. Maybe once in an English translation.

Time-Immemorial
It's not as scary as going on a date with Q99.

long pig
I've never understood why people think you'll burn alive eternally in hell. Its silly.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by 0mega Spawn
Though im not religious im curious if people find hell to actually be scary. Our society as of now with books & movies has so many interpretations of what hell is. These interpretations all have an eternal form of punishment.
Would eternal pain not get old? Can you suffer forever without eventually getting used to it?

I believe that hell is simply a state of mind, and not some place that you go after death.

To answer your questions: The depth of hell of the mind is very scary. The most scary of all.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Shakyamunison
I believe that hell is simply a state of mind, and not some place that you go after death.

To answer your questions: The depth of hell of the mind is very scary. The most scary of all.

Where the **** have you been?

long pig

Oregon sucks.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Where the **** have you been?
I've been working a lot of hours. At least 10 a day. But the pay is good.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by long pig
Oregon sucks.
Go tell someone who cares.

Time-Immemorial
I've been working a lot of hours. At least 10 a day. But the pay is good.

Nice doing what?

Shakyamunison
Nice doing what?
I'm an Engineer.

Time-Immemorial
Sweet, what kind?

Shakyamunison
Sweet, what kind?

What about the topic?

Digi
The answer to this question is that we have no idea. Presuming the existence of a religious Hell for the sake of the topic, none of us have any concept of "eternal" nor any experience in Hell. Throwing out reasons why it might not be so bad, or counters to those reasons, or counters to the counters, etc. etc. is literally just exchanging blind guesses.

Of course, that's for the sake of the topic. I believe the concept of a Biblical Hell to be eminently implausible.

long pig
Originally posted by Digi
The answer to this question is that we have no idea. Presuming the existence of a religious Hell for the sake of the topic, none of us have any concept of "eternal" nor any experience in Hell. Throwing out reasons why it might not be so bad, or counters to those reasons, or counters to the counters, etc. etc. is literally just exchanging blind guesses.

Of course, that's for the sake of the topic. I believe the concept of a Biblical Hell to be eminently implausible.
But the bible is very clear on the su next.

Star428
Biblically, the word "hell" is translated from 3 different words that mean three different things.

A. One hell is simply the grave.
B. One is the place winners go now
C. And one is a place that doesn't exist yet: the lake of fire.

In the end, both A&B are thrown into C. The lake of fire doesn't torture, it destroys from existence. All the bad things are thrown in the lake and destroyed.

The bible says dozens of time that sinners etc are destroyed. It never says you're tortured for eternity. Maybe once in an English translation.

Exactly, LP. The belief that people who are condemned will burn forever in eternal torture is a myth or a gross misinterpretation of the Bible. People who are not saved will most certainly burn and it will be the most painful thing they've experienced in their entire lives but they (even their soul) will be completely consumed in a fire that will be nearly as hot as the sun itself. Only God has the power to destroy both body AND soul by Hellfire. God is not some sadistic bastard who wants to make people suffer for eternity. "The wages of sin is death", it says in the bible, not "eternal torture/suffering".

Star428

Yeah, of course you do but that's not going to save from it as you will find out the hard way.

long pig
Digi is hellbound!

Flyattractor
Hell has been confused with what the Catholics call the place that is Purgatory.
To explain. Yes. Hell Is SCARY!
Hell is a place that Lies no longer hold sway. One can no longer fool one self. You can no longer LIE to yourself as to your fate.
If you are in HELL, you are to be counted amongst The DAMNED!
You can't pull the wool over your eyes anymore.
Once you see the Throne of Judgement. You will be cast into the Lake of Fire for All of Eternity.
That's it.
TRUTH.
It sucks
If you are guilty.

Time-Immemorial
What about the topic?

I didn't find it interesting.

Digi
Originally posted by Star428
Yeah, of course you do but that's not going to save from it as you will find out the hard way.

If striving to lead a life of integrity and kindness isn't enough for your God, he's not one worth worshiping. This is a self-damning proclamation, as it exposes the evil within your views. You judge based on authority, not based on reason or empathy.

Shakyamunison
Digi, the only real hell is the mind.

Digi
My response was aimed at Star's comment. I didn't elaborate beyond it because the concept I expressed is an important one to me: that a person's intentions and actions are paramount, not their alignment with a set of prescribed rules that don't take intention/action into account.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you, but I'd avoid using the term hell altogether, tbh.

Jesus McBurger
Is getting coal from santa scary?

Bentley
If striving to lead a life of integrity and kindness isn't enough for your God, he's not one worth worshiping. This is a self-damning proclamation, as it exposes the evil within your views. You judge based on authority, not based on reason or empathy.

An unfair Hell could be scarier than a fair one.

Digi
Originally posted by Bentley
An unfair Hell could be scarier than a fair one.

Sure, it could be. But that's somewhat beside the point. The possible existence of such an unfair hell would in no way justify a belief system that espouses damnation to good people.

long pig
Sure, it could be. But that's somewhat beside the point. The possible existence of such an unfair hell would in no way justify a belief system that espouses damnation to good people.
Hell is totally fair.

Time-Immemorial
It's not as scary as going on a date with Q99.

Digi
Hell is totally fair.

You have no basis for saying that, as you don't know what it's like or even if it exists.

Shakyamunison
My response was aimed at Star's comment. I didn't elaborate beyond it because the concept I expressed is an important one to me: that a person's intentions and actions are paramount, not their alignment with a set of prescribed rules that don't take intention/action into account.

Anyway, I don't disagree with you, but I'd avoid using the term hell altogether, tbh.

But Hell is one of the 10 worlds.

Mindship
Would eternal pain not get old? Can you suffer forever without eventually getting used to it? Seems to me, "Hell" is supposed to be as scary as possible, by definition. Humans doing their best to imagine the worst. Otherwise, the threat of Hell is nerfed.

As for getting used to eternal torment (interesting phrase -- "getting used" to something): that's for living things. For the soul of a dead sinner, every moment of pain is as the first: fresh, hot, forever in the eternal Now. evil face

Bentley
If Hell was not eternal torment and instead featured a one-shot soul destruction, then atheists would already be in tune with that belief, since they expect to cease existing after death. Kind of a non-threat for them.

Star428
Originally posted by Bentley
If Hell was not eternal torment and instead featured a one-shot soul destruction, then atheists would already be in tune with that belief, since they expect to cease existing after death. Kind of a non-threat for them.

Non-threat? LOL. It's not like burning in Hell is gonna be a pleasureable sensation for them. BUt, you're right I guess. Since they are blissfully ignorant of that reality they think they'll only have to experience death once and a MUCH less painful death at that.

Jesus McBurger
Non-threat? LOL. It's not like burning in Hell is gonna be a pleasureable sensation for them.
Well unless your a masochist..... Like me...... Its not that i like pain its more of a i wanna see how much punishment can i take thing

Star428
LOL@ some of these replies in the thread. Burning in Hell is not gonna be some walk in the park despite the fact that those condemned won't be burning forever. They'll still experience more pain than they could experience in a hundred lifetimes. It won't just be their bodies which will be extinguished forever in this Hellfire but their souls too. The pain will still be unbearable. I'd say that's a pretty scary thought. Not only will they experience unimaginable pain and agony but their souls will be destroyed in the process and they'll never have the chance to live again.

Again, the Bible says "forver punishment" which is eternal death. Not "forever punishing" which is what it would say if they were to be burning forever.

Surtur
For me if Hell was real then both Heaven and Hell would be equally scary. Think about it: both places are run by utter psychopaths.

Surtur
LOL@ some of these replies in the thread. Burning in Hell is not gonna be some walk in the park despite the fact that those condemned won't be burning forever. They'll still experience more pain than they could experience in a hundred lifetimes. It won't just be their bodies which will be extinguished forever in this Hellfire but their souls too. The pain will still be unbearable. I'd say that's a pretty scary thought. Not only will they experience unimaginable pain and agony but their souls will be destroyed in the process and they'll never have the chance to live again.

Again, the Bible says "forver punishment" which is eternal death. Not "forever punishing" which is what it would say if they were to be burning forever.

You sure do seem to know a lot about hell and its inner workings.

peterscj
I guess this then brings in the question of souls existing in the first place.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by peterscj
I guess this then brings in the question of souls existing in the first place.

There is 0% proof that souls exist. Souls are just make believe.

Mindset
There is 0% proof that souls exist. Souls are just make believe. You're make believe.

Adam Grimes
There is 0% proof that souls exist. Souls are just make believe. I would say that, philosophically, you're wrong.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Mindset
You're make believe.

Maybe to you.

Shakyamunison
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
I would say that, philosophically, you're wrong.

That doesn't make any since.

Van Hohenheim
I believe going to heaven is more frightening than going to hell. At least hell will have interesting people, while heaven is going to be full of zombies with a maniac running the show.

Adam Grimes
That doesn't make any since. Of course it makes since.

Time-Immemorial
There is 0% proof that souls exist. Souls are just make believe.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/biocentrism/201112/does-the-soul-exist-evidence-says-yes

http://www.oddee.com/item_98822.aspx

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Van Hohenheim
I believe going to heaven is more frightening than going to hell. At least hell will have interesting people, while heaven is going to be full of zombies with a maniac running the show.

Don't you remember Satan wanted to be the boss and lostlaughing out loud Now he actually is a zombie. I prefer sunshine and grass fields vs fire and brimstone.

Shakyamunison
Of course it makes since.

Interesting argument, but not very convincing. roll eyes (sarcastic)

Shakyamunison
Don't you remember Satan wanted to be the boss and lostlaughing out loud Now he actually is a zombie. I prefer sunshine and grass fields vs fire and brimstone.

though Jesus was the zombie. confused

Time-Immemorial
How?

Robtard

Hell's as scary as you imagine it to be.

Myself, I don't believe in Biblical hell, a place of punishment and/or destruction, so it's not scary at all to me.

Shakyamunison
How?

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Zombie_Jesus

Adam Grimes
Interesting argument, but not very convincing. roll eyes (sarcastic) I wish you were as interesting.

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Robtard
Hell's as scary as you imagine it to be.

Myself, I don't believe in Biblical hell, a place of punishment and/or destruction, so it's not scary at all to me.

So Hell is limitied to the power of Robs IMAGINATION!!!!!!

Yeah. That would make it not very scary.

>...now being stuck in a Room in Hell with Rob......

smokin'

Shakyamunison
I wish you were as interesting.

What does that have to do with the topic?

Surtur
If I look at things from a different perspective and not look as God as crazy I'm still not thrilled about heaven. What else can I judge it by besides one simple thing: never have I had any enjoyment come from God or church things. There is not that one time I went to church where it was fun or anything. Or that one church/school function that was truly awesome.

Even weddings aren't that fun, at least not until the after party. So I tend to picture sunshine and grassy fields and..eh, sounds like Florida.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.