What causes Obesity?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
Are people becoming more obese because of personal stupidity?

Bardock42
lol, don't be upset.

Bashar Teg
maximum butthurt achieved. i dont know what you did to him, bardock, but bravo.

Time-Immemorial
So because I have bardock on ignore, and have not talked to him in weeks, that means anything I want to talk about has to do with bardock? Appears you are stupider then I thought.

Bashar Teg
ok, then who is the obese person that this thread was obviously meant to troll because you're intensely assmad?

Time-Immemorial
Can you link me to the post in which I got mad in, and how it relates to this one?

Time-Immemorial
Anyways

Genetics. A person is more likely to develop obesity if one or both parents are obese. Genetics also affect hormones involved in fat regulation. For example, one genetic cause of obesity is leptin deficiency. Leptin is a hormone produced in fat cells and also in the placenta. Leptin controls weight by signaling the brain to eat less when body fat stores are too high. If, for some reason, the body cannot produce enough leptin or leptin cannot signal the brain to eat less, this control is lost, and obesity occurs. The role of leptin replacement as a treatment for obesity is currently being explored.

http://www.medicinenet.com/obesity_weight_loss/page3.htm

What causes people to be susceptible to obesity in their genes? We all start out skinny, but usually it comes down to the stupidity of parents that start over feeding their children for no reason. Almost all health problems can be over come with a good diet.

Time-Immemorial
Overeating. Overeating leads to weight gain, especially if the diet is high in fat. Foods high in fat or sugar (for example, fast food, fried food, and sweets) have high energy density (foods that have a lot of calories in a small amount of food). Epidemiologic studies have shown that diets high in fat contribute to weight gain.

Why do people over eat? Are they eating because of depression?

Slay
Spending too much time at the Schnellimbiss and drinking too much Spezi.

Astner
I'm not sure how people get fat to be honest. I haven't gained a pound since high school and I eat whatever and whenever I feel like eating. In fact, not too long ago I ate an entire jar of Nutella which I think was like 3,000 kcal. You pretty much have to be some kind of freak to get overweight.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Astner
I'm not sure how people get fat to be honest. I haven't gained a pound since high school and I eat whatever and whenever I feel like eating. In fact, not too long ago I ate an entire jar of Nutella which I think was like 3,000 kcal. You pretty much have to be some kind of freak to get overweight.

Yes, I think that's the experience of most people, they can just eat nutella jars and are don't gain a pound...

Time-Immemorial

Why did you edit, your first post was much more fulfilling, no pun intended.

Do you think diet and exercise play into this as well?

Surtur
There are a lot of factors..one is lack of fitness..especially in kids. For example when I was in high school we only had gym class in our freshmen year. Half the year was gym..the other half health class. So really out of 4 years of high school we had just half a year of gym.

Omega Vision
Diet, exercise, and genetics are the three main factors.

Genetics is probably the most important, but after a certain age the best genes in the world can't protect you from obesity and other health problems if you don't exercise and diet right.

There are people like what Astner claims to be (I take everything Astner claims with a grain of salt), who I'd call "Jugheads" after the Archie character who constantly ate but never gained any weight, but they're rare, and even they probably aren't immune to gaining weight past a certain age once their metabolism inevitably slows down.

Astner
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Do you think diet and exercise play into this as well?
When I took out my 25 vacation days to play Bloodborne I pretty much lived on energy drinks, pizzas and snacks; and I barely left the house during that time.

So I can't wrap my head around how these people get as fat as they do. They literally must take animal growth hormones or have an IV drip pumping pure lard straight into their veins as they sleep for the equation to come together.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
There are people like what Astner claims to be (I take everything Astner claims with a grain of salt), who I'd call "Jugheads" after the Archie character who constantly ate but never gained any weight, but they're rare, and even they probably aren't immune to gaining weight past a certain age once their metabolism inevitably slows down.
There are pictures of me shirtless on this forum, and it's quite easy to see that I have a trimmed body with around 10-12% body fat.

Now why would I lie about having a poor diet? It's generally not something people brag about.

StyleTime
It's really just a sustained calorie surplus that plays the biggest role in fat gain. Key word being sustained. You don't get "fat" from one day of binge eating.

I remember an article a while back, covering the "my friend eats anything and never gains weight" myth. People have varying metabolic rates of course, but the difference is rarely more than around a few hundred calories for people of similar sizes. These "eat anything" types are actually consuming much less than you think.

Aside from athletes and stuff.

Time-Immemorial
When I took out my 25 vacation days to play Bloodborne I pretty much lived on energy drinks, pizzas and snacks; and I barely left the house during that time.

So I can't wrap my head around how these people get as fat as they do. They literally must take animal growth hormones or have an IV drip pumping pure lard straight into their veins as they sleep for the equation to come together.

There are pictures of me shirtless on this forum, and it's quite easy to see that I have a trimmed body with around 10-12% body fat.

Now why would I lie about having a poor diet? It's generally not something people brag about.

Do you carb cycle or do fasted cardio?

Astner
I don't even know what that means.

Time-Immemorial
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=fasted%20cardio

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/wescott4.htm

-Pr-
Originally posted by StyleTime
It's really just a sustained calorie surplus that plays the biggest role in fat gain. Key word being sustained. You don't get "fat" from one day of binge eating.

I remember an article a while back, covering the "my friend eats anything and never gains weight" myth. People have varying metabolic rates of course, but the difference is rarely more than around a few hundred calories for people of similar sizes. These "eat anything" types are actually consuming much less than you think.

Aside from athletes and stuff.

That and they probably burn more than you'd think too.

StyleTime
Couldn't find the original article, but here is another one. Even including most of the population, with all our different bodies, 96% of us fall within a relatively narrow range of calorie requirements. "I've got a slow metabolism" is usually an excuse. You're simply eating too much.

http://examine.com/faq/does-metabolism-vary-between-two-people/

68% of the population falls into the range of 1840-2160kcal daily while 96% of the population is in the range of 1680-2320kcal daily.

Metabolic rate does vary, and technically there could be large variance. However, statistically speaking it is unlikely the variance would apply to you. The majority of the population exists in a range of 200-300kcal from each other and do not possess hugely different metabolic rates.

That said, no one should be made to feel ashamed about their weight. There are ways to discuss this without going "phuck those stupid fatties!"

Astner
Originally posted by StyleTime
Exactly, and that's why these fat people are so fascinating because you know they have to scoop down a bucket of Ben n' Jerry's for breakfast.

Robtard
Going to be funny when Astner's metabolism slows down and he gets a potbelly from all the crap he eats.

Astner
Read StyleTime's posts. I don't have superhuman metabolism.

It's just that these fat people have to order the Family Feast meal at KFC for themselves, and then act stupid and pretend to be innocent by claiming they try their hardest to lose weight.

Bashar Teg

It's just that these fat people have to order the Family Feast meal at KFC for themselves, and then act stupid and pretend to be innocent by claiming they try their hardest to lose weight.

i hope you're just trolling. you never struck me as one of the logically challenged.

Robtard
Read StyleTime's posts. I don't have superhuman metabolism. People's metabolism can change as they age; it's fairly common. Up until 30-31 I could eat junk food all day and maintain a ridiculously low body fat percentage. My body simply did not hold fat.

I'm still well off overall at 42 as I can down a couple pints of ice cream and it won't affect me much, but I also have a generally good diet and I do exercise routinely.

Time-Immemorial

Do you look down on obese people in either sad or disgusted way?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.