Charlie Brown can't escape progressives

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial
http://variety.com/2015/film/reviews/the-peanuts-movie-film-review-snoopy-1201631353/

Tough break, peanuts...

Digi
You're referring to the one paragraph, and really one line, about diversity characters? Even that is the faintest of criticisms in what is otherwise a pretty positive review. I don't see the issue. SJW vitriol this is not.

Time-Immemorial
Why the **** does it even have to be brought up? Its a god damn kids movie. Does it need to have any sort of political or progressive bullshit at all?

long pig
Its not the fact that they intentionally put in diverse characters, its the fact those characters are almost always used to beat the viewer over the head with white guilt.
Black characters in white shows are almost always highly educated, wealthy and smarter than all the white characters. They always end up teaching the inherently evil white man to be a better person.

The opposite is true for black shows. In black shows whites are usually thugs and gang members. Lol

Digi
LP's post may have merit but is another topic entirely, imo. We're talking about a relatively benign review here, not anything quite so systemic.

TI, I'd agree with you, I just don't think it's worth getting upset over, or even mentioning. It's not as though the reviewer forced it down our throats, or allowed it to cloud his review. Your outrage is misplaced, imo.

Time-Immemorial
I'm never mad in real life. Just seems that waysmile

Digi
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
I'm never mad in real life. Just seems that waysmile

Yes. It does...

Why the **** does it even have to be brought up? Its a god damn kids movie. Does it need to have any sort of political or progressive bullshit at all?

But that's good. No sense getting upset over something as awesome as The Peanuts Movie. I'm hoping to see it sometime next week.

StyleTime
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/07/31/franklin-integrated-peanuts-47-years-ago-today-heres-how-a-teacher-changed-comics-history/

...Peanuts was pretty progressive for its time, and sometimes featured politically inspired elements. Franklin, a black character interacting with his white friends in desegregated environments, was pretty controversial then. Schulz was aware of this, and was happy to include Franklin anyway. It was actually a deliberate action by him.

And Peppermint Patty laughs in the face of conventional femininity, even by today's standards.

Digi
Originally posted by StyleTime
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/comic-riffs/wp/2015/07/31/franklin-integrated-peanuts-47-years-ago-today-heres-how-a-teacher-changed-comics-history/

...Peanuts was pretty progressive for its time, and sometimes featured politically inspired elements. Franklin, a black character interacting with his white friends in desegregated environments, was pretty controversial then. Schulz was aware of this, and was happy to include Franklin anyway. It was actually a deliberate action by him.

And Peppermint Patty laughs in the face of conventional femininity, even by today's standards.

thumb up

Schultz is one of my personal heroes.

Surtur
Stuff like this doesn't necessarily piss me off, but I just dislike when people want to add a diverse character just for the sake of diversity. Especially since I don't think a character should be defined by race. You could have a character who is Charlies friend and happens to be something other then white.

But if someone is going "yeah, Charlie needs more Asian friends!" there is an issue. Same with gay characters. I don't mind them, but don't make it all about the gayness. Have a character where being gay is just one of many qualities, maybe you decide the character is gay after you've already fleshed out the character a lot. You don't just go "we need some gays" because then the character sometimes becomes defined by that one aspect.

Which yes in the past on tv and in film it was fine for a character to be defined by just one thing. But now people expect a bit more. On the other hand this is a kids movie and kids tend not to care about diversity. So it's fine if the person who wrote the review wanted more diversity, but they need to ask themselves who they wanted it for? Was it because they think the target audience wants it? Because they want it? Because they feel it is the right thing?

StyleTime
Originally posted by Digi
thumb up

Schultz is one of my personal heroes.
Yeah, he seemed like a cool guy.

I was aiming that at TI though, who seems to think Peanuts wasn't ever "political". Franklin was literally included by Schulz for diversity. Guess TI has to throw Schulz into his "progressive liberal boogeyman" group too.

Bashar Teg
ah good so it's just another non-topic. we need 500 more of these.

Time-Immemorial
If you don't wanna post don't come around, no one here would miss you.

StyleTime
I just want to know wtf that thing is in Bashar's profile pic.

Robtard
I just want to know wtf that thing is in Bashar's profile pic.

It's a tardigrade, also known as a "water bear". The most extreme/bad-ass animal on the planet and they're all liberals thumb up

Time-Immemorial
Not that tough, I broke him yesterdaylaughing out loud

Bashar Teg
you threw a tantrum and reported me (with zero cause) enough times to get bada to repost his sticky thread.

now could you stop acting like a ridiculous simple minded man-baby, or is that even possible for you?

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
you threw a tantrum and reported me enough times to get bada to repost his sticky thread.

now could you stop acting like a ridiculous simple minded man-baby. or is that even possible for you?

You broke yesterday, its good to see you healed up.

Bashar Teg
by making a raging idiot of yourself and reporting me? okay....

Time-Immemorial
by making a raging idiot of yourself and reporting me? okay....

Oh yea right, like you never reported me.laughing out loud

You were trolling and posting oversized images.

Digi
Yeah, he seemed like a cool guy.

I was aiming that at TI though, who seems to think Peanuts wasn't ever "political". Franklin was literally included by Schulz for diversity.

Sure. It's a good point.

It's a bit tough to extract Shcultz from his work, even compared to many other artists. He was a pretty low-key guy himself, but by all accounts was a great person. But it would be more accurate to say some combination of Schultz/Snoopy/CB is my personal hero, because most people - myself included - identified with him primarily through his work.

Bashar Teg
nope. i dont report people. you're just projecting and slandering again. simple and predictable as always.

but that's alright, what credibility do you have to lose at this point?

Time-Immemorial
My bad for reporting you, I didn't know you were going to flip shit about it either. Don't go Robtard on me.

Bashar Teg
My bad for reporting you, I didn't know you were going to flip shit about it either.

way to confess to being a whiney hypocrite. thumb up

Robtard
Good lord

Time-Immemorial
way to confess to being a whiney hypocrite. thumb up

Actually I was not being a hypocrite. I was telling you how it is. Your being pretty whiney.

Digi
Guys. GUYS. Pay attention.

you listening?

Good.

Because no one cares.

happy

Take it to PM or something. Or read some Peanuts strips. It'll make you happier.

StyleTime
Originally posted by Robtard
It's a tardigrade, also known as a "water bear". The most extreme/bad-ass animal on the planet and they're all liberals thumb up
Oh, those little things from Cosmos. Forgot about them.

thumb up They are true Americans.
Originally posted by Digi
Sure. It's a good point.

It's a bit tough to extract Shcultz from his work, even compared to many other artists. He was a pretty low-key guy himself, but by all accounts was a great person. But it would be more accurate to say some combination of Schultz/Snoopy/CB is my personal hero, because most people - myself included - identified with him primarily through his work.
True. I won't pretend to have full knowledge of his political views/personal beliefs. His religious views appeared to be complicated for example. We do know he was basically criticized for being too "tolerant/progressive/wtfever" though.

And Peppermint Patty is still a fairly forward thinking representation of girlhood. I know I am wanking Schulz here, but he was ahead of his time in many ways. Crazy this was "just" a newspaper cartoon.

Surtur
ah good so it's just another non-topic. we need 500 more of these.

It's true, we don't need topics like this getting in the way of the plethora of intelligent threads we have here.

BIGWHITESEXY
PEANUTS KILL MORE PEOPLE THAN AIDS.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.