What is killing the PlayStation Vita?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Jmanghan
Earlier this year, we had a AAA Game announcement for the Vita. World of Final Fantasy.

Sounds pretty cool, but there aren't gonna be many more of those if Sony doesn't start wising up to the complaints.

1. The Proprietery Memory Cards - This is by far the biggest complaint, the price is outrageous when bought from Gamestop, and on top of that, to get a 64gb card, you absolutely MUST import one. Thankfully, Sony has lowered the prices about 3 times, but the 32gb and 64gb both cost more then a brand new game at launch day. Fix this, Sony.

2. It's Far Too Powerful - A powerful handheld is a good thing, more graphical upgrades means more ports of awesome PS3 games, right? Well, developers straying from the Vita are focused on how much it would cost to port a game, or make a game on the system, which would honestly be a lot harder to make then a PS4 game due to the act of putting them on those tiny little cartridges.

3. No Third-Party Support - Indies are flourishing on the Vita, except a lot of people are into hardcore AAA games. Back before it was even called the Vita, they had many plans for it, there was supposed to be a Bioshock game, an Infamous game, and tons of awesome IP's on the system, similar to the support the PSP got. What we did get was a bunch of ports, and a few worthwhile Vita exclusives like Killzone: Mercenary, which IMO blows Killzone: Shadow Fall out of the water.

What do you guys think is killing the Vita, and how do you think Sony could improve on these mistakes?

Bentley
At this point the problem with Vita is the install base, but the cost of producing games for it was probably the biggest turn off back when it was launched.

It seems silly to program a medium budget game in the Vita considering the 3DS exists. The appeal of the machine is it's superior power, but it hasn't been played nearly enough.

Could Sony salvage the situation? Maybe, but they are clearly unwilling to take the risk.

Demonic Phoenix
At this point, I'd only bother buying the Vita to remote play PS4 games.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
At this point, I'd only bother buying the Vita to remote play PS4 games. Well if you're a fan of Fighting Games and RPG's, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by not picking this up, but to each his own.

"Fighting games are only meant to be played with friends".

I guess :/ However, its good to test yourself against the CPU to get better.

Jesus McBurger
Obama

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Well if you're a fan of Fighting Games and RPG's, you'd be doing yourself a huge disservice by not picking this up, but to each his own.

I guess :/ However, its good to test yourself against the CPU to get better.

PS TV.

Jmanghan
PS TV. Fighting Games on the Go.

PS TV has the same core as the Vita, so no 2 Player.

Unless you have 2 Vita's.

jinXed by JaNx
Didn't sony already announce that they're no longer supporting the Vita? I thought that happened a while ago.

The Vita's problem is that Sony didn't give it time to breath. It over invested in a cornered market and hoped that it would catch on like wild fire. It's a great device but it's target market are, Playstation and Xbox consumers. Why would i buy a Vita when i already have the same thing?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
Didn't sony already announce that they're no longer supporting the Vita? I thought that happened a while ago.

The Vita's problem is that Sony didn't give it time to breath. It over invested in a cornered market and hoped that it would catch on like wild fire. It's a great device but it's target market are, Playstation and Xbox consumers. Why would i buy a Vita when i already have the same thing? They clearly haven't stopped supporting it, as it had a trailer at E3 2015, and announced that World of Final Fantasy, a Triple A game would be coming to the system.

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Fighting Games on the Go.

PS TV has the same core as the Vita, so no 2 Player.

Unless you have 2 Vita's.

Or an internet connection.
Certain games also support local 2 player.

Also:

"I guess :/ However, its good to test yourself against the CPU to get better"

Jmanghan
Or an internet connection.
Certain games also support local 2 player.

Also:

"I guess :/ However, its good to test yourself against the CPU to get better" Well, yeah. If you had said that, I couldn't really argue against it.

Im just one of those guys that enjoys having the game in general.

Rarely have I ever played fighting games against friends, if I play games against them, its usually an FPS or something.

One of the reasons I adore Dissidia, is because it nails everything you'd ever want if you are playing a fighting game by yourself.

Also, to your first point, if you have it on a PS3 or PS4, there would be no reason to get it on PS TV. There would be a reason to get it on PS Vita, cause portability.

Tzeentch

BackFire
Lack of support. Look at the psp and there were tons of high end triple A games coming out. Metal Gear Solid games, God of War games, things like that, made by the actual studios that make the core games on consoles. For Vita most of the triple A games were shipped off and made by other random third rate developers or B-teams. Unless you're really into J-rpgs or love the idea of remote play, or simply want to play PS1 games on a hand held, there's not a lot that the Vita has going for it.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by BackFire
Lack of support. Look at the psp and there were tons of high end triple A games coming out. Metal Gear Solid games, God of War games, things like that, made by the actual studios that make the core games on consoles. For Vita most of the triple A games were shipped off and made by other random third rate developers or B-teams. Unless you're really into J-rpgs or love the idea of remote play, or simply want to play PS1 games on a hand held, there's not a lot that the Vita has going for it.

Except that the PSP Store is shut down now. :/

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.