Creationist organization building replica of the Ark

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

carthage
http://www.vice.com/read/creationists-are-building-a-real-life-noahs-arc-456?utm_source=vicefbus

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/nov/12/kentucky-creationists-full-scale-ark-bible

The modern-day ark will open in July 2016 in Williamstown in the north of the state, it was announced on Thursday.

They're also planning on adding a petting zoo, as a latter addition to the park. Some of you may know this organization from the Creation museum, what are your thoughts on the articles ?

SamZED
If they manage to raise some money and it goes to a noble cause Yahweh bless them. I just hope they don't fill it with animals and drop it in the ocean in attempt to prove a point.

Q99
Originally posted by carthage

They're also planning on adding a petting zoo, as a latter addition to the park. Some of you may know this organization from the Creation museum, what are your thoughts on the articles ?

Well, creationism is daft, but I'm not exactly going to object to building a boat. I do wonder if they have the shipbuilding skills to pull it off, a 500-foot ship is no small task!

Ark building has been done before, so it wouldn't be the first time, though he cheated a bit using a metal frame- iirc there's question about whether a wooden ship of the size could support itself.

As for the petting zoo, I wonder if they're going to do things with 'two of each animal,' or the more proper seven pairs of each 'clean' animal.

Bardock42
The outcome that I would like from this is that they build an ark (and barring that it breaks apart because it is wooden and structurally unsound) they start putting in animals (just two of each if they want to) and as the ark fills up and they still haven't put in the zebra, elephant and panda they realise that some of the stories in the bible are at best metaphorical and it will be a good learning experience for them. Then they accept gay people and realise that abortion is a necessary evil and vote for the Democrats in the next election...

Surtur
The supporters think it will be one of the "modern wonders of the world". That is just precious.

Originally posted by Bardock42
The outcome that I would like from this is that they build an ark (and barring that it breaks apart because it is wooden and structurally unsound) they start putting in animals (just two of each if they want to) and as the ark fills up and they still haven't put in the zebra, elephant and panda they realise that some of the stories in the bible are at best metaphorical and it will be a good learning experience for them. Then they accept gay people and realise that abortion is a necessary evil and vote for the Democrats in the next election...

But that is not how these people work. They won't say "this isn't possible" they will say "this isn't a God sanctioned ark, when it comes time for him to commit almost total genocide then we can magically build arks that function similarly to the inside of a TARDIS." Godly magicks require a large amount of sacrifice.

Which is of course bunk. We all know that the ark was an alien spaceship that merely contained the *dna* of every living thing on the planet.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Q99
Well, creationism is daft, but I'm not exactly going to object to building a boat. I do wonder if they have the shipbuilding skills to pull it off, a 500-foot ship is no small task!

Ark building has been done before, so it wouldn't be the first time, though he cheated a bit using a metal frame- iirc there's question about whether a wooden ship of the size could support itself.

As for the petting zoo, I wonder if they're going to do things with 'two of each animal,' or the more proper seven pairs of each 'clean' animal.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_%28schooner%29

Apparently the longest confirmed wooden ship ever was this one, about 450ft long, but it would flood due to the structural limitations of wood on such a scale so they had pumps to bail it out.

Surtur
Why not make an ice ship? It would look cool and take over a year to melt.

Omega Vision
Originally posted by Surtur
Why not make an ice ship? It would look cool and take over a year to melt.
Speaking of which, has anyone here ever heard of the pykrete aircraft carriers?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Habakkuk

Neat stuff. Ultimately impractical, but a cool concept nonetheless.

Surtur
Those are why I brought it up actually.

Omega Vision
If there's ever a new Ice Age, the first nation to build a fleet of pykrete icebreakers will control the seas.

Adam_PoE
What Ken Ham Isn't Telling You About Ark Encounter Funding

Digi

Surtur
Wait it's getting publicly funded? Yep, we do not have anything else that money could be better spent on.

Lets tell them this: build something without any religious connotations or build it on your own dime. *Waits for the GoFundMe for this to be put up*

Adam_PoE
Originally posted by Surtur
Wait it's getting publicly funded? Yep, we do not have anything else that money could be better spent on.

Lets tell them this: build something without any religious connotations or build it on your own dime. *Waits for the GoFundMe for this to be put up*

They already tried to crowd-fund it. They only received 26% of the total cost in donations. That is why they are using tax increment financing for the remaining 74% and sticking taxpayers with the bill.

Surtur
So then it's really just taxpayers building this for some Creationist nutjobs.

Q99
Ok, trying to get it taxpayer funded, *that's* not cool.

Originally posted by Omega Vision
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wyoming_%28schooner%29

Apparently the longest confirmed wooden ship ever was this one, about 450ft long, but it would flood due to the structural limitations of wood on such a scale so they had pumps to bail it out.

And this one shouldn't have pumps, and was made with more primitive shipbuilding...

Robtard
Originally posted by Adam_PoE
What Ken Ham Isn't Telling You About Ark Encounter Funding

This thing is going to fail miserably and the people of the state and especially city/county are going to get screwed; then Ken Ham will blame everyone except himself.

S_W_LeGenD
This project have revenue generation potential.

Q99
Originally posted by S_W_LeGenD
This project have revenue generation potential.

But quite possibly not enough to cover the costs.

I don't know if they can even do it without cheating.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.