Obama releasing prisoners

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Time-Immemorial

Surtur
What did we get in return for releasing these people?

Bashar Teg
yawn

http://i.imgur.com/QoIbLSO.gif

Flyattractor
http://cdn.meme.am/instances/58378378.jpg

Originally posted by Surtur

Paris.

Bardock42
"Written by Allen West"

Ugh, that guy.

Bardock42

The US, in turn, got a tiny sliver of decency back, having detained these men, for a decade, without charge.

Robtard
Originally posted by Bardock42
"Written by Allen West

Ugh, that guy.

Was going to read it, then basically stopped shortly after "Written by Allen West ". Guy's a sensationalist media-hound.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Robtard
Was going to read it, then basically stopped shortly after "Written by Allen West ". Guy's a sensationalist media-hound.

IOW: A Black man with a informed opinion.

Robtard

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
IOW: A Black man with a informed opinion.

oh look. another non sequitur. shocking.

Newjak
I'm sorry but really? Release prisoners that have been held for 13 years without being charged anything and somehow that equates to Obama being soft and trying to replenish terrorists organizations.

This is crazy.

Bashar Teg
Originally posted by Newjak
I'm sorry but really? Release prisoners that have been held for 13 years without being charged anything and somehow that equates to Obama being soft and trying to replenish terrorists organizations.

This is crazy.

crazy? THIS. IS. TI!!!!!

Robtard

This is crazy.

Now I'm glad I stuck with my instincts and didn't read it. Allen West doing what Allen West does; taking a story and spinning it into sensationalist nonsense so Rightwing radicals can eat it up.

Newjak
Originally posted by Robtard
Now I'm glad I stuck with my instincts and didn't read it. Allen West doing what Allen West does; taking a story and spinning it into sensationalist nonsense so Rightwing radicals can eat it up. Yeah it is that silly.

Also for some reason Obama choosing to do this after the Paris attacks is him sending a message that he doesn't care about doing what is right. Also that he may have chose to do it after the Paris attacks so that people would be preoccupied and not looking into this.

Also that Obama is the sole reason ISIS exists to begin with because he was too soft and pulled out of Iraq too soon.

Bardock42
Also, it wasn't Obama releasing them. It was the US Defense department at the suggestion of the Guantanamo Review Board, which reviewed the cases and found them not to be a threat. (http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2015/11/pentagon-releases-yemeni-prisoners-guantanamo-uae-151116035312844.html)

Robtard
Also that Obama is the sole reason ISIS exists to begin with because he was too soft and pulled out of Iraq too soon.

Sadly enough, I've heard this nonsense from more than one Rightwing radical.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
oh look. another non sequitur. shocking.

Look everyone, a bunch of liberals agreeing with the same thing, shocking..

carthage
Lol @ being a "conservative" and supporting people being locked up for a decade without charge, due process, or even a trial

Omega Vision
TI, your OP seems to suggest that the release was timed to happen in the wake of the Paris attacks. I don't think there's any reason to think that.

draxx_tOfU
Oh this Allen West guy, he managed to fool another sheep.

Robtard
Originally posted by draxx_tOfU
Oh this Allen West guy, he managed to fool another sheep.

Pretty much this, he's not a vitriol as say Ann Coulter who will say extremely vicious things (eg "ragheads"wink to rile-up the radicals on the Right into a frothing frenzy. But he uses similar tactics.

REXXXX
He's trying to link something completely unrelated to the Paris attacks, which is poor form. The release of Gitmo detainees to the UAE has nothing to do with ISIS.

Surtur
Originally posted by Bardock42
The US, in turn, got a tiny sliver of decency back, having detained these men, for a decade, without charge.

You could of just said "we got nothing" then.

Robtard
How do you feel about the US detaining people indefinitely without official charges; is this a power you thing the US government should have?

Surtur
I get what you are saying, but we have no clue why these men were held. The unknown part of it is the problem. Now our country obviously is capable of being dicks and if they detained people for no valid reason I wouldn't be shocked. On the other hand sometimes we do get it right, so again I just wonder why they detained them.

If it was legitimately for no reason then yes it is bad.

Robtard
AFAICR, they're held as "enemy combatants", which I have no problem with if true. But charge them with a crime(s), have a trial and if found guilty; sentence them to whatever fits. Be it 10 years, 40 years, life etc.

Throwing them in a hole for over a decade and then going "oh, our bad" is offensive. Imprisonment without trial is something the US used to shit on the former USSR and dictators like Saddam.

Surtur
That is the problem I think too many secrets are kept. We should be informed why the were held.

Time-Immemorial
Can we drop them off at Robs or Bashes house?

Q99
Ok, so these people were not charged with a crime, are well over a decade out of date with any contacts, and are on the other side of the mid east from any fighting. The US military has judged them not-a-threat.

I'm supposed to be afraid of them... why now?

Even granted that these people *once* fought against us, I don't get the paranoia about 'em.

Q99
That is the problem I think too many secrets are kept. We should be informed why the were held.

The general reason is "for a variety of reasons, it's been really hard to release anyone that's been held in Gitmo, even if they were picked up for relatively minor reasons." If someone thought they were important but they weren't, they still stayed because people go, "Gasp, they're from Gitmo, you can't bring them there!". So, being 'enemy combatants' may be the entirety of the reason. And it is the military saying, "Yea, these guys are, like, no threat."

Toss in that Daesh did not *exist* when they were arrested and many of the groups we were fighting at the time don't *like* Daesh....

The odds of these people even wanting to run back and join a completely new fight seems rather low. Especially as the UAE likely has higher quality-of-life than where they came from.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.