2015 Game of the Year

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Nemesis X
Plenty of awesome games out this year. Now that they're out, which reigns as the best over the rest?

Adam Grimes
Witcher 3 for me.

NemeBro
Undertale.

Bentley
Super Pokemon Mystery Dungeon.

Adam Grimes
That one is not on the list, fanboy.

Bentley
Originally posted by Adam Grimes
That one is not on the list, fanboy.

Because it was just released. Obviously it's superior to all those inferior games.

Adam Grimes
I can't say I disagree, playing as cyndaquil >.

Jmanghan
Mario Maker. It's... not even close to being a contest.

It's the best 2D Platformer ever made in history.

It's better then the Mario All-Stars Pack that included Super Mario World.

It wins, you lose.

Smasandian
I haven't played Fallout 4 yet.

Umm, probably Witcher 3 for now. Rise of the Tomb Raider was pretty good as well.

ares834
MGSV for me. Though I haven't played TR yet, but I doubt it will be able to dethrone MGS.

Witcher 3 is probably runner up.

Insane Titan
MGS for me off that list.

Most enjoyable game was dying light.

Nusa105
Definitely Witcher 3. It's only the game i love to see the walkthrough and i'm on it big grin

Nephthys
Originally posted by NemeBro
Undertale.

-Pr-
Of the games I played, GTA on pc. I would have considered Arkham Knight if the PC release hadn't been such a ****ing shambles.

Utrigita
Witcher 3 for me.

Estacado
Originally posted by Insane Titan
MGS for me off that list.

Most enjoyable game was dying light.
thumb up
Dying Light was great!

Fallout for me.

Havent played mgs and witcher though..

Quincy
Tales from the Borderlands

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Quincy
Tales from the Borderlands I mean, it was kinda funny and all, but didn't do much for me as a whole game, its not even as gamey as some of its predecessors, like The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones.

Then again, everyone has different tastes.

Smasandian
Telltale Games are like a Christmas pastime for me. Due to Steam winter sales, the recently completed TellTale season is usually 66% off and it takes about a day or two to go through.

I played both Walking Dead games and Wolf Among Us around Christmas. Probably do the same for Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones.

Kazenji
Originally posted by Jmanghan
I mean, it was kinda funny and all, but didn't do much for me as a whole game, its not even as gamey as some of its predecessors, like The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones.

Then again, everyone has different tastes.

And they all have the same sort of gameplay.

Zack Fair
I need to get back into witcher 3

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Telltale Games are like a Christmas pastime for me. Due to Steam winter sales, the recently completed TellTale season is usually 66% off and it takes about a day or two to go through.

I played both Walking Dead games and Wolf Among Us around Christmas. Probably do the same for Tales from the Borderlands and Game of Thrones. Game of Thrones is really cinematic during it's fights.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Kazenji

Thats not what I meant :/

Smasandian
Originally posted by Kazenji

But doesn't a lot of companies do similar things?

Look at Rockstar, most of their games are roughly the same type of gameplay, especially for their open world games. They all follow the same formula. Does that make it bad thing? Nope.

For all the accolades Irrational Games gets, they make pretty much identical games. Aside from setting, both Bioshocks and System Shock 2 are mostly the same.

Most developers follow some sort of process that makes their games fairly similar to one another. Obviously there are different cases.

Sorry if your comment was not supposed to sound negative.

Bentley
Mario Kart has rather similar gameplay than Pikmin.

Everything is a copy nowadays, I'm going to go back and play some Ballon Fight -people say that game is like Joust, but I don't see it-.

Darth Martin
No love for Batman?

Estacado
Originally posted by Darth Martin
No love for Batman?
It was really good but cant compare to some of the mentioned imo.

-Pr-
I'd say it's as worthy of a place, if not moreso than the likes of Halo or MGS.

Though the disastrous PC launch should be counted too, imo.

Ridley_Prime
I don't think it's worthy of a place, not like the previous Arkham's, but my condolences to Mark Hamill for not winning anything while being there at the awards show last night.

Estacado
MK X does deserve a spot though...shifty

So does Dying Light...stick out tongue

Adam Grimes
Batman and Dying Light maybe.

MKX? Ugh.

-Pr-
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I don't think it's worthy of a place, not like the previous Arkham's, but my condolences to Mark Hamill for not winning anything while being there at the awards show last night.

Honestly disagree, but that's me.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Estacado
It was really good but cant compare to some of the mentioned imo.

Undertale and Tales of the Borderlands are never going to win GOTY unless we're in Fantasy Land.

I don't even know why you put them on this list.

Also, what you just said is opinion-based.

Nephthys
Undertale ...... never going to win GOTY unless we're in Fantasy Land.

I don't even know why you put them on this list.

Also, what you just said is opinion-based.

Um, have you just not looked at the poll or ......

Jmanghan
Batman and Dying Light maybe.

MKX? Ugh.

Mortal Kombat X is the absolute best Mortal Kombat game ever made.

Look everywhere, you will be very hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't agree.

Its never been on par with Street Fighter, or even Tekken, but its up there.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Nephthys
Um, have you just not looked at the poll or ......

What is so appealing about these two not-so-gamey games that puts them on par with all the Triple A games we've gotten this year?...

Jmanghan
Look at all the games we have on here, real powerhouse games, MGS, Mario Maker, FallOut 4, Witcher 3.

Then, Undertale? Tales of the Borderlands?

What have these games done to deserve being game of the year?

ares834
It's almost as if this is entirely subjective...

Jmanghan
I know thats hypocritical, but I can't be the only one uncomfortable with Indies being Game of the Year when there are all these BIG budget games with amazing stories, and awesome gameplay.

Nephthys
What is so appealing about these two not-so-gamey games that puts them on par with all the Triple A games we've gotten this year?...

Look at all the games we have on here, real powerhouse games, MGS, Mario Maker, FallOut 4, Witcher 3.

What have these games done to deserve being game of the year?

Maybe you should play them and find out.

Undertale is better written and has more honest heart and soul than any game on that list except MAYBE Witcher 3. It also has stronger themes and more interesting commentary about games and game design. Plus it actually has legitimately inspired gameplay that isn't just copy-pasted from other games and manages to make the players choices matter more than probably any game I've ever played. Lastly it has ****ing amazing music.

Tales from the Borderlands is really funny.

Ridley_Prime
Mortal Kombat X is the absolute best Mortal Kombat game ever made.

Look everywhere, you will be very hard-pressed to find anyone who doesn't agree.

Its never been on par with Street Fighter, or even Tekken, but its up there.
I honestly don't agree. Best balanced and such, sure, but X is lacking in other areas compared to MK9 and the like.

Maybe you should play them and find out.

Undertale is better written and has more honest heart and soul than any game on that list except MAYBE Witcher 3. It also has stronger themes and more interesting commentary about games and game design. Plus it actually has legitimately inspired gameplay that isn't just copy-pasted from other games and manages to make the players choices matter more than probably any game I've ever played. Lastly it has ****ing amazing music.

Tales from the Borderlands is really funny.
thumb up

FinalAnswer
I know thats hypocritical, but I can't be the only one uncomfortable with Indies being Game of the Year when there are all these BIG budget games with amazing stories, and awesome gameplay.

What the hell does having a big budget have to do with it? You can create a Triple A game and it can still be a putrid pile of garbage. Like Thief 4 for example. Fallout 4, while still an enjoyable game, hardly has amazing gameplay, and its actual story is nothing to write home about.

How hard is it to believe that something that doesn't cost a hundred million dollars to make can still be an amazing game?

Ridley_Prime
Didn't Walking Dead (season 1) get GotY in 2012? How much budget a game has behind it has nothing to do with its quality.

FinalAnswer
To be fair, 2012 was a shit year for video games.

Ridley_Prime
I just liked how people were expecting Halo 4 or some big budget title of that year to win, only for it to end up being Walking Dead.

LordofBrooklyn
BLAZBLUE: Game of The Year 2015

Nemesis X
By Jman's logic, Destiny should've won last year for having five hundred million invested into it's creation and what a great game that turned out to be before Taken King.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by FinalAnswer
What the hell does having a big budget have to do with it? You can create a Triple A game and it can still be a putrid pile of garbage. Like Thief 4 for example. Fallout 4, while still an enjoyable game, hardly has amazing gameplay, and its actual story is nothing to write home about.

How hard is it to believe that something that doesn't cost a hundred million dollars to make can still be an amazing game? FallOut 4 does have amazing wonderful gameplay.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Ridley_Prime
I honestly don't agree. Best balanced and such, sure, but X is lacking in other areas compared to MK9 and the like.

thumb up

MKX was the most discussed game of the year, for MOST of the year.

You needn't look any further then KMC's very own MKX thread.

FinalAnswer
FallOut 4 does have amazing wonderful gameplay.

Nah, it's a good step up from 3/New Vegas, but it is by no means very impressive by the standards of any other game that does the same stuff.

Smasandian
To be fair, Fallout 4 and Bethesda Software games are pretty unqiue in terms of gameplay. There isn't a ton out there.

FinalAnswer
That may be so, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of Fallout 4's mechanics. The AI is also still as brain dead as always.

Smasandian
I agree. There is definite issue with any Bethesda games.

A lot of people don't really care about brain dead AI for example. They enjoy Bethesda games good points. I would include myself in this.

-Pr-
MKX was the most discussed game of the year, for MOST of the year.

You needn't look any further then KMC's very own MKX thread.

Can't forget the issues it had at launch, though.

Estacado
MK X is great imo!

I liked it even more then any Tekken and they were my fave fighting games.

Also we need a next gen Bloody Roar...mmm

jaden101
Metal Gear for me although only recently got my Ps4 and have W3 and F4 still to play. Won't be for a while though as 50 hours in to MGSV and I'm only 28% done. Had arkham knight up to 96% after 15 hours

Omega Vision
I've played Witcher 3, which is incredible. Games that I think look amazing but haven't played yet: Fallout 4 and Batman: Arkham Knight.

I think Until Dawn deserves an honorable mention. A very innovative game with great narrative elements. It finds a way to turn what would be a fairly pedestrian horror movie plot into a masterpiece with the interactivity of a video game added.

Jmanghan
That may be so, but that doesn't mean I can't be critical of Fallout 4's mechanics. The AI is also still as brain dead as always.

FallOut 3 is considered to be the best, if not, one of the best games of all time.

FinalAnswer
By who?

Certainly not me, given that it is inferior to both the games that preceded it and New Vegas.

Quincy
Started playing Bloodborne this weekend and it's great!

Jesus McBurger
Fallout 4, Super Mario maker and Undertale is what I'm trying to choose between

Bentley
Originally posted by Jesus McBurger
Fallout 4, Super Mario maker and Undertale is what I'm trying to choose between

Let me help you there, don't choose Fallout 4 thumb up

Jesus McBurger
Originally posted by Bentley
Let me help you there, don't choose Fallout 4 thumb up
Why not fallout 4? It's a great game and lived up to its hype

Jmanghan
By who?

Certainly not me, given that it is inferior to both the games that preceded it and New Vegas. By everyone else.

Nephthys
Everyone without taste, sure.

Jmanghan
Everyone without taste, sure. Metacritic puts at a 91. Which means it has Universal Acclaim.

ares834
Fallout 3 bored me to tears.

Needless to say, FO4 certainly isn't my game of the year.

cdtm
If Telltale Walking Dead is a GOTY, you better believe I'm giving Devastation my nod. (And I liked both the original and sequel, but they aren't really even interactive novels.. Choices don't change much, at all.)

The campaign may be short, but the challenges more then make up for it. Taking on the Seekers or Optimus and Megatron at the same time?

Better yet, beating down Bumblebee with a big assed hammer, and then dino chomping him like a pitbull at a cock fight? laughing out loud

Nephthys
Metacritic puts at a 91. Which means it has Universal Acclaim.

Lots of people recognize that it's a great game. Which it is.

But one of the best or THE best of all time? Haha no.

FinalAnswer
Metacritic puts at a 91. Which means it has Universal Acclaim.

Undertale has a Metacritic score of 94, which is higher then the rest of the games listed on this poll smile

Jmanghan
I haven't actually played Undertale, and from what I observed, it didn't have anything resembling combat.

I still don't see the appeal about Undertale. I do think I overreacted about it a bit, as Indie games can be as good as Triple A games.

Still makes me uncomfortable that a 2D Indie game might be GOTY Material.

FinalAnswer
It does have combat.

And there's nothing wrong with a game being 2D, people still wack themselves off to Chrono Trigger and the Mother series as being GOAT.

And it may be indie, but Toby was working on it for like over 3 years, it's not like there wasn't a lot of work that went into it.

Astner
Bloodborne.

Nephthys
I haven't actually played Undertale, and from what I observed, it didn't have anything resembling combat.

Lol.

Undertale is probably the hardest game on the list except Bloodborne imo. I just watched a video of a streamer trying 7 hours to beat a boss (condensed of course). Yes, theres bosses. Yes, theres combat. Yes, the combat is good.

Jesus McBurger

I still don't see the appeal about Undertale. I do think I overreacted about it a bit, as Indie games can be as good as Triple A games.

Still makes me uncomfortable that a 2D Indie game might be GOTY Material.
It's a really fun game you should play it sometime

Quincy
Originally posted by Astner
Bloodborne.

I'm on board

FinalAnswer
Lol.

Undertale is probably the hardest game on the list except Bloodborne imo. I just watched a video of a streamer trying 7 hours to beat a boss (condensed of course). Yes, theres bosses. Yes, theres combat. Yes, the combat is good.

Only scum bags fight that boss though.

Jesus McBurger
Only scum bags fight that boss though.
Flowey is a d1ck

Bentley
Originally posted by Jesus McBurger
Why not fallout 4? It's a great game and lived up to its hype

I did not say it was a bad game, it's a fitting sequel.

Jesus McBurger
Ahhh

Estacado
Changing Fallout to Mgs...

Adam Grimes
You beat it already?

Estacado
Nah.
Been playing for roughly 12 hours but it's really good.

It seems you can easily put in like a 100+ hours into it plus the badies are phuckin badass!

If you like stealth games give it a go.

It's about building a base and extending your arsenal.

Reason I like it more then Fallout is that this was kinda like 3.5.for me instead of 4 while mgs offers something new.Off course it has repetitive stuff but so did F4.

Adam Grimes
I have it, but couldn't get around to finish it yet.

You may want to play a bit more before changing your vote. stick out tongue

NemeBro

What have these games done to deserve being game of the year? Undertale has been a better game than any of the AAA games this year. That's why it's game of the year. thumb up

NemeBro
Lol.

Undertale is probably the hardest game on the list except Bloodborne imo. It's harder than Bloodborne.

Adam Grimes
This hipster.

Smasandian
Nah.
Been playing for roughly 12 hours but it's really good.

It seems you can easily put in like a 100+ hours into it plus the badies are phuckin badass!

If you like stealth games give it a go.

It's about building a base and extending your arsenal.

Reason I like it more then Fallout is that this was kinda like 3.5.for me instead of 4 while mgs offers something new.Off course it has repetitive stuff but so did F4.

I think there is serious problems with MGS Phantom Pain. The moment to moment gameplay is breathtaking and the ability to do whatever you want when infiltrating outposts is perfect. One of the reasons why it's one of the best games for the year.

But the story sucks, missions generally suck (aside from a few) and you repeatedly do the same thing over and over. There is a ton of content but's all the same. Also, for some reason nobody has an issue that the game makes you complete previous missions again in an asinine way to get the new cut scenes. That's ridiculous! Also, the game forces you to go online with the FOB, offers ridiculous micro transactions and the entire mother base aspect is a waste. Especially when FOB invasions can remove your prized acquisitions. Oh, unless you pay for insurance with real money.

This also doesn't include other strange behaviors when playing the game.

AuraAngel
So why did GameFaqs have SSBM in the running?

Jmanghan
Originally posted by AuraAngel
So why did GameFaqs have SSBM in the running? ...Dunno, people still use melee as the main competitive version of Smash in Tourney's.

The ones ai've seen, anyway, they sure as hell aren't gonna use brawl.

Adam Grimes
Never trust gamefaqs, only troll-votes over there.

AuraAngel
Oh. Never mind.

http://i.imgur.com/BiHDCdP.png

Was for Best. Game. Ever. Apparently. Which seems like an odd category for these two to face off in. Mostly because they're exact opposites.

Undertale won by the way.

FinalAnswer
The final battle still has yet to occur tho

AsbestosFlaygon
It's Undertale VS Zelda: OoT or Super Mario RPG

AuraAngel
I only care about Melee. thumb up

Not that I think any of the above games are the best games ever.

Ridley_Prime
A lot of those contested games on gamefaqs are highly overrated.

Smasandian
I still haven't played Fallout 4 (maybe this weekend!) but I think it's between Witcher 3 and Super Mario Maker.

I just got a Wii U and Mario Maker is ****ing awesome. Probably on the best building games out there. It's fantastic.

My only gripe is that I wish it had a few Nintendo levels. Maybe a small SP portion similar to the regular releases. Also, it's unbelievable how you cannot search users quickly. It's crazy.

BackFire
I'm in the process of playing Fallout 4. It's good, but I'm having trouble getting into it like I have other Bethesda games. The shooting is pretty mediocre and the graphics can look god awful at times.

For me Witcher 3 is the easy game of the year thus far.

NemeBro
Originally posted by AuraAngel
Oh. Never mind.

http://i.imgur.com/BiHDCdP.png

Was for Best. Game. Ever. Apparently. Which seems like an odd category for these two to face off in. Mostly because they're exact opposites.

Undertale won by the way. Undertale took home the gold.

For once, the best game won. thumb up

RadZoa
My personal GOTY

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/b/b2/Ori_and_the_Blind_Forest_Logo.jpg

Freaking amazing game, if you have an Xbox One or Steam, get it

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
I'm in the process of playing Fallout 4. It's good, but I'm having trouble getting into it like I have other Bethesda games. The shooting is pretty mediocre and the graphics can look god awful at times.

For me Witcher 3 is the easy game of the year thus far.

Hmm, maybe Fallout 4 is the last game that Bethesda can do using their existing technology.

Ori and the Blind Forest is a great game. My only gripe are the instant kill running areas. I enjoy them in platforms but Ori has some of the most delicate parts of it. You literally cannot make one single mistake and slow your progress down or it's instant kill. As well, it's takes a fair bit of trial and error to figure out what way to go and what abilities to use. It's still a great game though.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by Smasandian
Hmm, maybe Fallout 4 is the last game that Bethesda can do using their existing technology.

Ori and the Blind Forest is a great game. My only gripe are the instant kill running areas. I enjoy them in platforms but Ori has some of the most delicate parts of it. You literally cannot make one single mistake and slow your progress down or it's instant kill. As well, it's takes a fair bit of trial and error to figure out what way to go and what abilities to use. It's still a great game though. Skyrim looks kinda better then FallOut 4 in some ways.

Estacado
Played F4 for about 145 hours it's really good but it could have been better.Got all trophies etc.

For me it's still MGS only need 2 trophies for platinum.
The repetitivness is annoying but with all the equipment and options it cant take away from the fun.

For example take out a unique sniper without firearms.Its tough cause she keeps changing her location so instead of going h2h and runin around you can just locate her and drop a supply box on her head to ko quiet.

Yet to play Witcher 3.

BackFire
Skyrim looks kinda better then FallOut 4 in some ways.

It does, it's really surprising.

Sometimes Fallout 4 looks nice, generally outside when the sun is shining and there's nothing really nearby, but it feels like the character models took a step back from Skyrim, and Skyrim's dungeons and interiors seemed to have better looking.

Smasandian
I put in about 15 hours into Fallout 4. I'm enjoying the **** out of it.

- I agree about the graphics. In some cases, it's quite beautiful and others it's "meh". I agree regarding character models as well.
- I don't agree regarding shooting mechanics. While they are not as good as most shooters, they more than adequate and way better than anything Fallout 3 tried to do. I would equal it to the first two Mass Effect games.
- I like the weapon upgrading system. It makes all that junk worth it.

Overall, while it's not as important as Fallout 3, it's still a better game than it and I think it's better than Skyrim.

Bentley
A yoyo is a better game than Skyrim.

Jmanghan
I'm also kinda sick and tired of my weapons having no impact in Bethesda games.

If I whack somebody with a blunt object, they shouldn't just stand there like nothing happened.

I mean, I know they keel over when they die, but it should happen during regular combat.

As an example, in Skyrim, if I punch someone in the face, I expect them to feel as if they were just punched in the face.

Jmanghan
Skyrim was an amazing game when it first came out. Its aged... RELATIVELY well, but it sours on you after a while.

-Pr-
I honestly feel like Skyrim was overrated as hell, and only truly achieves brilliance through mods.

Jmanghan
The original game had an interesting story, with hundreds of interesting sidequests, and over 500 hours of gameplay, if you're REALLLLLLYYYYYYYYY good.

-Pr-
While I thought the lore itself was great, there were only a few sidequests that really stood out to me, personally. The main story was... Okay.

Nephthys
thumb up

Adam Grimes
I didn't even finish Skyrim.

Estacado
Originally posted by -Pr-
While I thought the lore itself was great, there were only a few sidequests that really stood out to me, personally. The main story was... Okay.
Vampire lord dlc was pretty awesome dont deny it.

-Pr-
Vampire lord dlc was pretty awesome dont deny it.

It was good, yes, though I wasn't a fan of that other dimension part. The mount from it was cool, though.

Omega Vision
Skyrim lacked diversity in its settings and gameplay. IMO Oblivion stayed interesting much longer than Skyrim did.

Estacado
It was good, yes, though I wasn't a fan of that other dimension part. The mount from it was cool, though.
That was the dragonborn dlc with the dragon mount brah....uhuh

Vampire lord gave you new vampiric and werewolf abilities.biscuits

NemeBro
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Skyrim lacked diversity in its settings and gameplay. IMO Oblivion stayed interesting much longer than Skyrim did. Base game Skyrim had more diversity in its setting than base game Oblivion did. Oblivion only has good or unique setting diversity if you take into account Shivering Isles. And even if you do take Shivering Isles into account, the Dragonborn DLC for Skyrim provided almost as much variety in setting as Shivering Isles did. So overall, Skyrim still has a far more interesting setting as well as a more varied one than Oblivion's generic temperate medieval setting of Cyrodiil.

Not really sure what you mean by gameplay diversity, to be honest. Off the top of my head, Oblivion notably had spellcrafting (I do miss that), as well as more skills and classes than Skyrim (RIP acrobatics and athletics, I shall miss you my friends).

Skyrim by comparison had better combat, a new form of magic you could use in the Dragon Shouts, the ability to catch an arrow in mid-air if you're quick enough (no really, you can do this in-game if you're a badass). Oh, and dragon riding I guess.

The difference in content between Oblivion and Skyrim wasn't nearly as jarring as the difference between Morrowind and Oblivion IMHO.

ares834
Look at all these hipsters trying to be cool.

Skyrim was great. One of the best games of the generation.

-Pr-
That was the dragonborn dlc with the dragon mount brah....uhuh

Vampire lord gave you new vampiric and werewolf abilities.biscuits

Not that; I'm talking about the weird ghost place where you meet Serana's mother.

Estacado
Not that; I'm talking about the weird ghost place where you meet Serana's mother.
My bad man totally forgot about that.
All I remember is using telekinesis to throw around everybody.....haermm

-Pr-
My bad man totally forgot about that.
All I remember is using telekinesis to throw around everybody.....haermm

Well, that shit is fun.

Honestly, I felt like Skyrim fell flat as an RPG. But when I approach it from the POV of a heavily modded sandbox game with RPG elements, it suddenly feels so much more entertaining.

Originally posted by ares834

Skyrim was great. One of the best games of the generation.

On pc and modded, sure. Without that... I'm not seeing it.

Jmanghan

Skyrim was great. One of the best games of the generation. Its not though, it hasn't aged as well as say, FallOut 3 has, or Dark Souls.

NemeBro
Its not though, it hasn't aged as well as say, FallOut 3 It's aged much better, lol.

Adam Grimes
Vanilla FO new vegas is still better than vanilla Skyrim imo.

I hate using the word vanilla for games.

NemeBro
New Vegas has aged very well.

3 hasn't, and it's likely because of New Vegas. It's hard to play 3 when New Vegas is basically the same game but better in almost every way.

ares834
Its not though, it hasn't aged as well as say, FallOut 3 has, or Dark Souls.

How has it not aged as well or better than Fallout 3?

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the FO games so suffice to say I strongly disagree.

DS is great. Though, I'm not sure that I would call it better than Skyrim.

On pc and modded, sure. Without that... I'm not seeing it.

Go back to playing your silly Batman games. I hear driving a tank around is a lot of fun... wink

-Pr-
How has it not aged as well or better than Fallout 3?

Anyway, I'm not a fan of the FO games so suffice to say I strongly disagree.

DS is great. Though, I'm not sure that I would call it better than Skyrim.

Go back to playing your silly Batman games. I hear driving a tank around is a lot of fun... wink

Hey, the batmobile is awesome.

As far as Skyrim goes... I dunno. I mean, there were some pretty good side-quests. Like, really good ones. But there was a lot of, well, filler. And with a world that big, I honestly didn't think it needed it.

The main story... It's just been done far better, imo.

Adam Grimes
New Vegas has aged very well.

3 hasn't, and it's likely because of New Vegas. It's hard to play 3 when New Vegas is basically the same game but better in almost every way. Well, Fallout 3 may have had less missions but at least it wasn't full of shitty filler like skyrim.

Skyrim's missions were boring as phuck to me. And that goes for that nerd Ares.

Lek Kuen

Not really sure what you mean by gameplay diversity, to be honest. Off the top of my head, Oblivion notably had spellcrafting (I do miss that), as well as more skills and classes than Skyrim (RIP acrobatics and athletics, I shall miss you my friends).

The lack of acrobatics and athletics alone, make skyrim a shit ES game.

Smasandian
Fallout 3 had the best areas and missions to explore. Finding different Vaults was fascinating. I don't get the same as Elder Scrolls games.

Fallout 4 doesn't do as good as Fallout 3 did in terms of interesting things to come across but it's still light years better than Skyrim. It seems in Fallout, every location has something cool within it's confines.

Nephthys
Comparing Skyrim to Dark Souls or FO:NV is like comparing a platter of burgers to a gourmet steak dinner. Those burgers are nice and they'll certainly last you but the steak is obviously better.

BackFire
I enjoyed exploring Skyrim much more than I'm enjoying exploring the wasteland in Fallout 4. I thought Skyrim had a better sense of place and a more engaging atmosphere.

Jmanghan
It's aged much better, lol.

Skyrim doesn't have the critical acclaim of FallOut 3 or New Vegas.

Jmanghan
Comparing Skyrim to Dark Souls or FO:NV is like comparing a platter of burgers to a gourmet steak dinner. Those burgers are nice and they'll certainly last you but the steak is obviously better. This.

BackFire
Skyrim doesn't have the critical acclaim of FallOut 3 or New Vegas.

Yes it does. Skyrim is just as critically acclaimed as either of them, if not more so, go take a look at the Metacritic or gameranking scores.

Jmanghan
Skyrim still has lower scores then FallOut 3.

Jmanghan
My point was that Skyrim isn't as remembered as FallOut 3 or Dark Souls.

Dark Souls will still get talked about 20 or 30 years from now, same for FallOut 3, while people have already started to forget about Skyrim.

When people DO talk about it, there is nothing but praise, which I agree with.

However, the game is getting less and less talked about as the days go by, while there are (Yes, there are people who consider FO3 as the best game ever, its even referenced by JonTron) countless people who consider FO3 and Dark Souls as timeless masterpieces.

Also, A LOT of people thought that NV was disappointing, and not on par with FO3.

When I point out which people said these things, all thats gonna be said is "You go to THEM for opinions?"

BackFire
Skyrim still has lower scores then FallOut 3.

Skyrim has a higher score on Metacritic. 96 vs 93. On gamerankings it's 95 to 92 in favor of Skyrim.

As far as the rest of your stuff, it's too subjective to mean anything. You site these voiceless, faceless masses who supposedly think these things, and expect people to just blindly accept what you are saying. Some people like Fallout 3 more than New Vegas, some people like New Vegas more than fallout 3 and fallout 4, some people like skyrim more than fallout 3, a lot of people will have various opinions on these games.

Skyrim definitely isn't being forgotten, I hear Skyrim talked about plenty, Skyrim is still one of the most played games on Steam.

FinalAnswer
My point was that Skyrim isn't as remembered as FallOut 3 or Dark Souls.

Dark Souls will still get talked about 20 or 30 years from now, same for FallOut 3, while people have already started to forget about Skyrim.

When people DO talk about it, there is nothing but praise, which I agree with.

However, the game is getting less and less talked about as the days go by, while there are (Yes, there are people who consider FO3 as the best game ever, its even referenced by JonTron) countless people who consider FO3 and Dark Souls as timeless masterpieces.

Also, A LOT of people thought that NV was disappointing, and not on par with FO3.

When I point out which people said these things, all thats gonna be said is "You go to THEM for opinions?"

A lot of people are also morons.

Smasandian
Originally posted by BackFire
I enjoyed exploring Skyrim much more than I'm enjoying exploring the wasteland in Fallout 4. I thought Skyrim had a better sense of place and a more engaging atmosphere.

Even though Skyrim is fantastic in that regard, I'm more engaged with Fallout 4 environment.

I largely think it's not a question on which one is better but what type of preference you have when it comes to sci-fi or fantasy.

Adam Grimes
Unless you like both like me. thumb up

Smasandian
True.

I do like both as well. I just prefer the apocalyptic setting of Fallout a bit more. As well, in Skyrim, scrounging around for resources and weapons doesn't make a ton of sense while it does in Fallout.

But overall, both are fantastic.

BackFire
That's true, they did a good job of making the junk you can pick up meaningful in Fallout 4.

For me it's the technical failings of the engine that I guess really sours me. I am still enjoying the game, but in this post Witcher 3 world, it's tough to go from a game with loading times only when you die or when you change entire continents to a game with loading screens whenever you go into any building or small village. I'd probably be enjoying the game more and be finding it a bit more immersive if they had some more technical progressions with the engine since Skyrim.

Smasandian
Yeah, I would agree. I was surprised in some cases where there isn't loading screens (walking through the city and realizing it's not managed into zones only accessible by sewers) but then have a loading screen to get into single shop.....

AuraAngel
I picked Undertale. TFA left a nasty taste of bile and disappointment in my mouth that left me brooding for weeks but Undertale cheered me up and gave me something interesting to think about instead.

NemeBro
Skyrim doesn't have the critical acclaim of FallOut 3 or New Vegas. You're right. It has more critical acclaim.

SKYRIM
Metacritic (X360) 96/100
(PC) 94/100
(PS3) 92/100

FALLOUT 3
93/100 (X360)
91/100 (PC)
90/100 (PS3)

I don't even need to check NV because I know for a fact it scored less than 3 (for some reason).

NemeBro
Also, A LOT of people thought that NV was disappointing, and not on par with FO3. These people are what's known as idiots.

Smasandian
I liked Fallout 3 better than New Vegas. I liked the area more and wasn't really into the faction aspect of New Vegas.

Adam Grimes
Tbh Fallout 3 had a better location, although it didn't make sense for the lore. I liked NV more than 3 but they're still way better than unmodded Skyrim in my book.

In the ES series there's nothing coming close to what you feel while exploring a Vault for the first time imo.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>