Regarding the Inquisitors(both Canon and Legends)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Zenwolf
Something I never really quite understood here with the Inquisitors, both in this new Canon and Legends.

The Empire has all the knowledge of The Force and Fighting Styles from the Jedi Order among other sources of knowledge such as the Dark Side, other Force User groups and so on.

So then, why is it apart from a handful of Inquisitors they are so....meh?

I mean you have ones like Malorum, who are good in saber combat, able to have a lengthy duel with Olin, yet he had trouble Force catching his saber which led to his death.

Then elsewhere you have quotes where they mainly focus on interrogation techniques and little to nothing else, which is fine because they are apart of the I.I

I think as I recall one was also good with the Force yet was so so with lightsaber combat.

Jerec is really the only one that comes to mind as being really powerful but then he was a former Jedi Master, so I guess that isn't too surprising.

Idk...it just seems to me these Inquisitors have all this knowledge at their disposal and yet it's like they don't do anything with it when their job requires them to hunt down Force Users and Jedi.

That they either focus on one particular aspect and suck on the others, just seems kinda bizarre to me given their station within the GE.

Maybe I just haven't read too many appearances of the other Inquisitors(read mostly just 3 and rest Sourcebook info on em), but that's just how I see it. Though i'll be happy to get more insight.

I mean I guess since there's not too many Force Users or groups around, that they logically wouldn't need to be very powerful as just as they are, the random joe wouldn't be able to take them on and they have the resources of the Empire.

But at the same time, how is it they are suppose to deal with a very powerful Force User or groups of them? I guess they could contact Vader, but then I don't think he'd like he's being called upon to deal with something they should be able to handle.

Selenial
So that when grouped up as a whole, they still couldn't overpower Palpatine and Vader.

You know, kind of the whole point of the rule of two. Their entire order needed to be weaker than a Palpatine + Vader tag team.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Selenial
So that when grouped up as a whole, they still couldn't overpower Palpatine and Vader.

You know, kind of the whole point of the rule of two. Their entire order needed to be weaker than a Palpatine + Vader tag team.

Obviously I know that, but that still doesn't mean they can't be powerful to at least have good skill in multiple aspects instead of just 1 and it's not like Sidious would allow them to do such anyway.

Selenial
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Obviously I know that, but that still doesn't mean they can't be powerful to at least have good skill in multiple aspects instead of just 1 and it's not like Sidious would allow them to do such anyway.

Except that's exactly what it means. If they were the level of a Jedi Master, do you really think even 10 of them would fail to take down Vader?

Q99
The more well-rounded and higher they are, the better the odds they can self-study.

Really, they're meant to be hounds/tripwires. They stir up the targets and take out the weak ones (which is most of the job, padawan squishing), and then if something is actually significant, there's already Vader to handle it so why would Sidious need strong Inquisitors?

If you cared about their lives, making them stronger would matter, but they're relatively easy to replace and them dying is just fine.

Don't forget there's also the Emperor's Hands which can assassinate somewhat stronger prey but are kept more tightly on Sidious's leash.

Beniboybling
Kind of the whole idea of the Rule of Two, power is centralised in the master and the apprentice, if they were anything more than adepts little would distinguish them from the Sith empire's of old.

Remember that Sidious wasn't even comfortable having Ventress around, which is likely why the Canon GI is capped at her level.

Zenwolf
Yet the GI clearly isn't on the level of Ventress from what is shown, but perhaps since he doesn't have anything other than his duels against Kanan I guess that is why.

True to a point Q but as I recall, they even have issues with Padawans in both canons. Plus it's not also like you don't have other Force Wielders in the Empire being powerful, as you noted Emperor's Hand...heck even the Prophets are though they specialize for other things not combat, still though.

Meh...I guess it's just I see, they have all this knowledge at their clear disposal(I haven't really read where Sidious caps them unless he deems they are gaining too much like Jerec) yet they just don't show anything other than moderate dueling skill, high force use(using the term high loosely) or the other way around, or nothing but focusing on one thing.

Darth Thor
Kids kids, again Filoni said the Most Powerful Inquisitor is around Ventress level (but still below her), not the GI.

GI might just have been the most well rounded Inquisitor, the most cunning, tactical e.t.c. But they're not real Sith, and follow whatever hierarchy the real Sith gives them. So I doubt it's a case of, "if any Inquisitor grows more powerful and kills the GI then he becomes the new GI".

Not saying that's definitely the case with the Inq's hierarchy, but just saying we don't know for sure that GI was the most powerful Inq. And also reminding you that whoever is the most Powerful Inq is still below Ventress.

Q99
Originally posted by Zenwolf
Yet the GI clearly isn't on the level of Ventress from what is shown, but perhaps since he doesn't have anything other than his duels against Kanan I guess that is why.

True to a point Q but as I recall, they even have issues with Padawans in both canons. Plus it's not also like you don't have other Force Wielders in the Empire being powerful, as you noted Emperor's Hand...heck even the Prophets are though they specialize for other things not combat, still though.

The Padawans they had trouble with aren't average ones- Kanan is *Depa's* Padawan and has a lot of talent.

And yea, they may have trouble with the odd one, but to the bosses, that's fine. As long as the targets go down sooner or later, Inquisitors struggling and even losing a few is no big deal.

It's not just that he caps them, it's their base training isn't planned with high growth in mind.

Hm... consider the type of person they're likely to recruit too. Not ambitious 'I-want-power' types a Sith would make an apprentice. But rather, 'I will be loyal,' 'I want to be on the wining side,' 'I want to bully the weak,' types.

Emperordmb
Inquisitors lack the conviction the Jedi and Sith have IMO

Zenwolf
Originally posted by Q99
The Padawans they had trouble with aren't average ones- Kanan is *Depa's* Padawan and has a lot of talent.

And yea, they may have trouble with the odd one, but to the bosses, that's fine. As long as the targets go down sooner or later, Inquisitors struggling and even losing a few is no big deal.

It's not just that he caps them, it's their base training isn't planned with high growth in mind.

Hm... consider the type of person they're likely to recruit too. Not ambitious 'I-want-power' types a Sith would make an apprentice. But rather, 'I will be loyal,' 'I want to be on the wining side,' 'I want to bully the weak,' types.

Eh maybe I just want more on the GI from Rebels to get a better gauging of him then, he was terribly wasted, do I'm hoping for a prequel comic or novel showing what he did beforehand.

Hmm...I suppose though, I just feel as if their base training should be just a tiny bit more imo. Though I don't recall reading that Sidious caps them generally, they just can't be too powerful...but then that's still a sort of wiggle room because what would be too powerful exactly?

I mean I guess we could also scale off the random Dark Jedi found in the galaxy, as they themselves are noted to be pretty powerful, yet they seem to lack the discipline and proper training compared to what the Inquisitors would bring. Unless said Dark Jedi is a former Jedi Knight.

I also hadn't thought about the type being recruited, that's true...although they do hunt down former Jedi and try to turn them too so those would also have the benefit of former Jedi training and we could just add on there.

I guess i'll look into sources and appearances more, I planned on making a thread about them on the CV, I just wanted to see if anyone here had their thoughts to share.

Syndicate
I'd imagine that they shouldn't be able to lift anything more then morderately heavy with TK, be able to use any ability past force lightning or master a form. Maximum power an Inquisitor would be allowed is proficient knowledge in all forms, being able to use force lightning and being able to lift a stone column and even that's pushing it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.