Jessica/Luke Cage vs Mirakuru Soldier

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

wakkawakkawakka
Okay I think enough time has went by for enough people to at least get through the first few episode of Jessica Jones so I've decided to pit them against some enhanced humans and see how they fair.

Round 1: 2 Mirakuru soldiers
Round 2: they're up against 5 mirakuru soldiers
Round 3: vs Deathstroke(hand to hand)
Round 4: Deathstroke & Ravager(hand to hand)
Round 5: Ravager & 3 mirakuru soldiers(standard equipment)

Fight takes place at the center of the Chitauri invasion in New York City.

Jessica/Luke recover health after each round.

So how would the duo perform? Would they clear or fall after a certain point.

FrothByte
The problem with Jessica Jones is although she's stronger (I think) than Luke Cage and the Mirakuru soldiers, her durability is crap and both her and Luke's fighting ability is even crappier. So that said:

1. Jessica dies but hurts the Mirakuru soldiers enough for Luke to finish them off.
2. They both die
3. Jessica dies again. Deathstroke will have a hard time knocking Luke Cage out but I just don't see Cage keeping up with Deathstroke's skill. Cage gets knocked out eventually.
4. They die
5. They die

Time-Immemorial
^thumb up

wakkawakkawakka
I figured that Jessica's strength and 'bionic man" jumping would give her an edge in Rounds 1&2. Also Slade, despite his superior skill, might still have trouble with Luke and the possible strength edge that Jessica brings.

Oh and I forgot to mention it but Round 2 was also supposed to be hand to hand.

FrothByte
Originally posted by wakkawakkawakka
I figured that Jessica's strength and 'bionic man" jumping would give her an edge in Rounds 1&2. Also Slade, despite his superior skill, might still have trouble with Luke and the possible strength edge that Jessica brings.

Oh and I forgot to mention it but Round 2 was also supposed to be hand to hand.

Slade and his Mirakuru boys had some decent strength feats as well, including pushing around cargo crates like nothing. To be honest, they should all be within the same strength range. The only reason I'm putting Jessica one step ahead is because she was strong enough to stop a car dead in it's tracks.

And while Luke's skin is impenetrable and is definitely more durable than Slade's skin, I'm led to believe that Slade and his men have a more durable physique overall. Slade did survive an exploding ship and his men can tank multiple gun shots at point blank range.

KingD19
Cage is stronger than Jones. He says so, she says so, and he proves it several times. Also he mentioned when he got his powers he went around the junkyard lifting cars to see how strong he was.

Cage is clearly bulletproof, and probably would take gunshots as easily as the soldiers. His problem was the shotgun went off against his chin and rattled his skull in his brain. As his insides originally were not as durable as the rest of him. Night Nurse even had to drain fluid from him to keep the swelling from getting worse.

wakkawakkawakka
I don't remember Cage stating that he lifted a car at any point. Though he was physically dominant in his fight with Jessica and has better durability overall.

In order to address Cage's bulletproof skin I made all but Round 1&5 hand to hand fights.

KingD19
When he's explaining about his powers. He said when he first got them, he went to the junkyard and started lifting stuff, slabs of metal, old cars, etc... To see what his limits were.

Even if he didn't though, both he and Jessica acknowledge he's a fair degree stronger than her. And I'm still not certain h2h will take him down. Unless we say Slade's fist is as powerful or more powerful than a 12 gauge trying to blow your chin off.

FrothByte
Where did they say that Cage was stronger than Jessica? I just finished watching the entire series, I don't recall any discussion like that.

That said, Cage is clearly susceptible to blunt trauma, as the shotgun demonstrated. He does get hurt by Jessica Jones dropping a closet at him.

Deathstroke may not break his skin but he has a good chance to knock him out. A better chance anyway than Cage knocking out Slade. After all, when was the last time you saw a mirakuru soldier get knocked out by blunt trauma?

ares834
Originally posted by KingD19
CHe says so, she says so, and he proves it several times.

Jessica overpowered him in the Bedroom sequence.

Arachnid1
Originally posted by ares834
Jessica overpowered him in the Bedroom sequence. That was through skill. She was dodging and weaving all his hits until she put him through a wall and hightailed it out of there. Cage had the upper hand the majority of the fight. If she hadn't found the shotgun, it was pretty clear at that point who would have won the encounter.

And I do remember it being stated that Cage was stronger by Jessica. i don't remember Cage saying so though. My impression was that Cage was the stronger and more durable of the two, whereas Jessica was quicker, more agile, and can (maybe) fly.

TheVaultDweller
They can probably eek out a win in round one, but that's as far as I see them getting with any real success.

Jessica overpowered him in the Bedroom sequence.

Yet when he wanted to go after that bus driver he thought killed his wife and she tried to stop him, it was like she was hardly even there. The two seemed to be very close in strength to me, but I actually felt like Luke could have had the edge, but generally seemed to restrain himself more.

FrothByte
Originally posted by TheVaultDweller
They can probably eek out a win in round one, but that's as far as I see them getting with any real success.

Yet when he wanted to go after that bus driver he thought killed his wife and she tried to stop him, it was like she was hardly even there. The two seemed to be very close in strength to me, but I actually felt like Luke could have had the edge, but generally seemed to restrain himself more.

Actually I feel the exact opposite. I think Jessica is stronger but she's generally more restrained. Everytime they had to match strengths Cage was either pissed off or mind controlled, whereas Jessica was just trying to stop Cage.

Of course, it helps that Cage is a lot more durable than Jessica.

In the end, they're both very close in the strength department and the mirakuru soldiers shouldn't be that far off either.

80sBaby
Jessica was trying her hardest to stop Luke from killing that bus driver and failed, miserably. I'd say he's definitely stronger.

KingD19
Also, Luke has always been stronger and generally more powerful than Jessica in comics. She can just fly.

And in the bar, when she had no idea who he was, he was casually flinging guys around far easier than she was.

ares834

Luke was bloodlusted there and Jessica was very depressed. Not really the best time to gauge their strength.

TheVaultDweller
Originally posted by FrothByte
Actually I feel the exact opposite. I think Jessica is stronger but she's generally more restrained. Everytime they had to match strengths Cage was either pissed off or mind controlled, whereas Jessica was just trying to stop Cage.

In the end, they're both very close in the strength department and the mirakuru soldiers shouldn't be that far off either.

Well, that is the thing. She was basically fighting for her life there, because Luke was out to kill her, and she still seemed on the back foot for large parts of that fight, at least when it came to matching strength. And then, as mentioned, she was seemingly trying her hardest to stop Cage from going after that innocent guy but he just kept walking forward. Neither were fighting each other so it was a pure contest of strength. She definitely displayed better speed and agility than him though.

Jessica is also somewhat of a hothead sometimes, where as Luke generally seems to stay calm more often and keeps a lower profile, which is why we don't see him go as crazy outside of those moments where he is either mind controlled or super angry.

But I think their difference in strength is fairly minimal, to the point where one being more pissed off than the other could tip the balance.

Luke was bloodlusted there and Jessica was very depressed. Not really the best time to gauge their strength.

She was trying to stop him from killing an innocent person, for an action she committed, so safe bet she was trying hard.

ares834
Originally posted by FrothByte

thumb up

Pretty much my thoughts as well.

She was trying to stop him from trying to kill an innocent person, for an action she committed, so safe bet she was trying hard.

Her heart only seemed to be halfway in it. So I'd strongly disagree.

TheVaultDweller
Her heart only seemed to be halfway in it. So I'd strongly disagree.

That's your opinion and you are entitled to it. But based on her character in the show, I don't think she would risk half-arsing it when an innocent person's life is at stake, especially because of something she did. Luke just came across as slightly stronger to me, and Jessica faster and more agile, based on what I saw in the show. If you feel differently you are obviously free to, but I already saw everything, so nothing you say is going to make me change my mind, just like I doubt I am going to alter your stance on the matter. And it is somewhat of a pointless tangent in anyways, considering they are both on the same side here. And I think they are outmatched in every round except round 1.

TheVaultDweller
Trying to think of comparable strength feats for the Mirakuru guys and Luke/Jessica. IIRC, some of Slade's soldiers were pushing cars and things around to create road blocks, when they were attacking the city. So they all seem to be in the same ballpark.

Just want to raise one thing about the Luke/Jessica strength thing. Thinking about it, while I still personally feel Luke might be a bit stronger, I can see why opinions might differ. They are portrayed as being very close throughout. On top of that, both their strength levels seem to fluctuate a bit, especially when plot demands it (it is one of the only really big problems I had with the show). An example is the one fight where Killgrave escapes and sends all those guys with stun batons to fight Jessica and the others. Normally she easily oneshots regular people, but she was hitting these guys over and over and they kept getting back up, just long enough for Killgrave to make a run for it. So there is enough inconsistency there that opinions could go either way.

KingD19
Based on canon and the stories the show is based off, as well as what is shown in direct comparison, I'm not sure how people can say she's stronger. He's always been stronger than her since their comics were established. Cage in his initial days back in the 70's is stronger than Jessica when she was first intrdoduced nearly 30 years later.

TheVaultDweller
Based on canon and the stories the show is based off, as well as what is shown in direct comparison, I'm not sure how people can say she's stronger. He's always been stronger than her since their comics were established. Cage in his initial days back in the 70's is stronger than Jessica when she was first intrdoduced nearly 30 years later.

Well, as mentioned previously, I think a big problem comes from the fact that their power levels fluctuate all over the place, depending on the episode and situation. Jessica in particular goes from lifting and holding the back of a car with seemingly minimal effort, to having to tussle extensively with people she should be able to casually oneshot.

KingD19
Yeah that didn't sit well with me, which is why I'm hoping Cage will have some comic worthy strength feats when his show comes out. Because a chick who can get hit by a speeding truck and only walk away with a broken rib and bruising, and can jump off buildings and land with no problem shouldn't be taken down by a 120lb ginger with a 2x4.

TheVaultDweller
Yeah that didn't sit well with me, which is why I'm hoping Cage will have some comic worthy strength feats when his show comes out. Because a chick who can get hit by a speeding truck and only walk away with a broken rib and bruising, and can jump off buildings and land with no problem shouldn't be taken down by a 120lb ginger with a 2x4.

Yeah, that was a major WTF moment for me. She was hit hard enough to leave a giant dent in that truck. That kind of impact would most likely kill a regular person, yet she got up within a few minutes and walked off. Even with the broken rib and bruises, that feat showed an immense level of actual durability, at least in terms of blunt force trauma, so having ginger girl knock her out with a piece of wood made me facepalm.

KingD19
Mmmhm. I get that there has to be PIS and CIS so the heroine and hero(Jessica and Luke) don't shitstomp literally everybody sent to fight them, as that's how it should have gone. But considering the highs we've seen from her both durability and strength wise, the lows are just unbelievable.

TheVaultDweller
Mmmhm. I get that there has to be PIS and CIS so the heroine and hero(Jessica and Luke) don't shitstomp literally everybody sent to fight them, as that's how it should have gone. But considering the highs we've seen from her both durability and strength wise, the lows are just unbelievable.

Yeah, the power fluctuation is one of the few real gripes I actually have with a show I enjoyed quite a lot overall. But at least they balanced it out by having one of the most terrifying MCU villains to date. Even if you don't like Killgrave as a character (and I personally thought he was great), just his powerset alone turns him into one of the most dangerous opponents you could ever have to go up against. Imagine that guy actually getting his mental hooks into one of the Avengers, for example?

KingD19
Oh if you've ever read him in the comics he's even more terrifying. Because his ambitions in the comic go beyond simply pining for a girl. He's done some sick stuff. And his control over people is nearly absolute. Only guys like Doom have resisted it.

TheVaultDweller
I've never really kept up with him much in the comics. I do know that Dr Doom can resist him through pure force of will, but he is motherf****** Doom, so that is hardly anything to scoff at.

I am curious how MCU Kilgrave would do against MCU Daredevil. I know DD actually has some degree of resistance in the comics as well, because of his ability to only focus on certain sensations, or some similar explanation. It would have been extremely funny if Claire had actually called Matt and he pitched up, and Kilgrave tried to control him only for Matt to KO his ass with his cane. Admittedly, it would have undone a whole season's worth of build up, but I still would have laughed.

Edit: Another bit of dumb plot where Jessica's powers fluctuate. Heals perfectly from a gunshot wound within days, to the point where there isn't even a mark. Cuts herself with a sharp blade behind her ear and the scar stays there for who knows how long.

wakkawakkawakka
Hmm...I figured that Jessica/Luke would fair better in hand to hand matches considering both of their attributes into account and matching, if not slightly exceeding, the strength of the Mirakuru soldiers.

With that said Luke isn't exactly a fighter and Jessica is a bit of a glass canon even though she has great recovery speed. Figured that team matches would compensate for their flaws and net them some wins in at least round 1,2 and have a good match for 3.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.