Samurai Jack

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Demonic Phoenix
http://media.comicbook.com/2015/12/unnamed-161337.jpg

Yep, it's returning. Cue the nerdgasms.

No Mako this time though. sad

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--a2AnYB7e--/c_fit,f_auto,fl_progressive,q_80,w_636/jejp567h4xnohbw8cqol.gif

ares834
Holy shit.

KingD19
On adult swim too? Gonna go change my shorts.

I wonder if they'll get Greg Baldwin to voice Aku? He took over as Iroh after Mako's death.

cdtm
Yeah, Greg did a good impersonation.

Still won't be the same without Mako, obviously, but this show deserves a proper ending.

Omega Vision
Sweet. Hope they do it right. I wonder if being on Adult Swim will allow them to take more liberties than their Cartoon Network TV-Y7 rating did.

KingD19
Now there can be blood along with robo oil!!

Wei Phoenix
So Lamar confirmed to return?

KingD19
There's gonna be massive outrage if Lamar isn't brought back.

Wei Phoenix
Also, is it just me or does (assumingly) Jack kind of look like Mojo JoJo/Galactus? I kind of hope that's not Jack, not sure how I would feel with him decked out in armor unless he becomes some warlord or leader of a huge army against Aku.

Demonic Phoenix
That is pretty much what he does when he becomes older.

Though he looks different. So probably somewhere in between because he's decked out in Japanese armour?

Wei Phoenix
Oh, well that doesn't look too bad.

NotAllThatEvil
Pros. Its back and on the adult swim. YAY VIOLENCE

Cons. It looks like a poorly made flash cartoon.

Demonic Phoenix
Dammit, still no news about the show.

AuraAngel
You sound disheartened. stick out tongue

Jmanghan
Don't you **** with me, there's gonna be a new one???

Demonic Phoenix
Originally posted by AuraAngel
You sound disheartened. stick out tongue

I've been trying to hold on, but my nerdgasms can only last so long.

Originally posted by Jmanghan
Don't you **** with me, there's gonna be a new one???

Yep.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by NotAllThatEvil
Pros. Its back and on the adult swim. YAY VIOLENCE

Cons. It looks like a poorly made flash cartoon. It ironic that a lot of amazing, but old shoes with awful animation are coming back.

Berserk is coming back, and now Samurai Jack, both with different but equally painful animation.

Demonic Phoenix
First new images.

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--we9f_RVH--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/y8vtysa5vd4h6bl1zwrt.png

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck_lsmZWsAA4atO.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck_lsntXEAE3i8s.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ck_lsnwWEAACP9Z.jpg

Apparently it is set 50 years after episode 52.

Demonic Phoenix
FT6yhhfiUh8

Surtur
Gotta get back, back to the past, Samurai Jack.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by Demonic Phoenix
FT6yhhfiUh8

Do we have a release date yet?

Demonic Phoenix
Nope, not yet unfortunately.

riv6672
We have a release date:

http://nerdist.com/samurai-jack-season-5-will-premiere-in-march/

Demonic Phoenix
7zqLqO38ZzQ

Jack's back.

riv6672
About time. thumb up

riv6672
http://www.cbr.com/samurai-jack-featurette-reveals-epic-music-new-footage/

Some new stuff to wet the whistle.

ares834
Holy shit. The updated animation is sexy as hell.

Also slight spoilers here, but this got me very excited!

ares834
Originally posted by Jmanghan
It ironic that a lot of amazing, but old shoes with awful animation are coming back.

Berserk is coming back, and now Samurai Jack, both with different but equally painful animation.

wut

Samurai Jack's animation is fantastic!

riv6672
Yeah, gonna have to call bullshit on that one. But its opinion bullshit, to each his own.

Surtur
Gotta get back, back to the past Samurai Jack.

AuraAngel
Get hyped for tonight boys.

And girls. I'm inclusive.

KingD19
This isn't your after school Samurai Jack anymore. I'm ready for people to bleed tonight. And die because they're real and not robots gushing oil anymore!!

NotAllThatEvil
Dude, I just cut myself on your edginess.

AuraAngel
Originally posted by KingD19
This isn't your after school Samurai Jack anymore. I'm ready for people to bleed tonight. And die because they're real and not robots gushing oil anymore!!

But if we don't shower Jack in oil how is this cold blooded murder machine supposed to get fuel?

KingD19
But if we don't shower Jack in oil how is this cold blooded murder machine supposed to get fuel?

Robots and oil generators will still get chopped down the middle. It's just now...the robots have company when they die. Their human partners. Now Jack is an equal opportunity mass murderer.

AuraAngel
I liked it.

Zenwolf
Eh episode was ok, a tad cliche if I might say.

riv6672
^^^You just did.

The 3D animation blended fluidly with the traditional 2D.
SPOILY:

Aku has a cult that births disciples to honor and serve him. Hella Cool.
Jack has guns and a sick motorcycle. Fairly Cool.
He has not aged as a side effect of time displacement. Pretty Cool.
He's haunted by vision of his family berating him for abandoning them. Damn Sad.

CosmicComet
Thats crazy that he lost his sword.

I didnt even notice that at first.

I do like the spear though.

riv6672
I noticed pretty quick, and man, does thst suck. sad

TethAdamTheRock
When does this start?

riv6672
Yesterday.

cdtm
My god, was that blood?

Were people killed in the pilot? A first for this series, the only bleeding you'd normally see is oil.

KingD19
Yeah its on Adult Swim now. So its not mainly robots. People and creatures were killed in the original though.

NemeBro
Originally posted by cdtm
My god, was that blood?

Were people killed in the pilot? A first for this series, the only bleeding you'd normally see is oil. A woman gets stabbed in the eye and killed.

cdtm
Yeah, I dvr'd the pilot repeat.

Knowing Genndy, I don't think we have to worry about getting a bloodbath or anything. The man is clearly inspired by Usagi Yojimbo, which means thoughtful writing. He was probably pressure to put in as much as he did (And none of it from Jack.)

I mean, he's not Kirkman.

God, can you imagine a Kirkman wrtten Samurai Jack? *Shudders*

KingD19
Really the only difference between Kirkman and Tartakovsky is that Kirkman accepted bloodbaths. Genndy had to deal with censors so he got oil changes instead. He was drenched in well over dozens of gallons of oil and fluids by the time the series was over.

NotAllThatEvil
So Jack is definitely gonna kill ashi, right?

KingD19
Oh people are going to die. And they are gonna bleed.

cdtm
Really the only difference between Kirkman and Tartakovsky is that Kirkman accepted bloodbaths. Genndy had to deal with censors so he got oil changes instead. He was drenched in well over dozens of gallons of oil and fluids by the time the series was over.

You might have a point at that. All that oil represented something besides oil.

But they say Genndy himself claimed he has no interest in gore, and I still say he must be a big fan of Stan Sakai (Fights and death happen in Usagi all the time, only instead of blood or oil we've got stylish cartoon skulls to denote a death.)

cdtm
Oh, and King, I'm not just talking about gore with regard to Kirkman. Have you read Invincible lately?

Kirkman on Jack ends with Jack fighting that 700 ton sumo guy in a rematch, falling under his bulk, and getting raped.

Yamcha
This "Robot Fight but with Genndy's Narration" was better than I expected.

GmVqB3YCYfY

AuraAngel
Wow that was sad. =(

ares834
Holy shit, that was intense.

CosmicComet
OMG JACK!! Holy shit...

AuraAngel
Now even if he gets back...he won't really be back. =(

CosmicComet
That poor brave wolf

KingD19
Hahahah wow that was amazing. The Daughters are easily among the top tier of foes Jack has fought like the Imakandi, Set's Minions, Blind Archers, etc...

Nemesis X
Aku's new voice. Thoughts?

KingD19
Originally posted by Nemesis X
Aku's new voice. Thoughts?

Well it's not Mako, but it's literally the next best thing. Aku's new voice is Greg Baldwin, who was Mako's understudy for years and took over as Iroh in Avatar when Mako died.

cdtm
No one can ever replace Mako. Just try and fill his shoes.

And that was an intense episode. Looks like I'm wrong about the blood, in spades.

CosmicComet
Jack slitting that woman's throat shocked him as much it probably shocked the audience.

He simply thought they were robots, like all the others. lol

AuraAngel
Also this show just simply has some of the best sound design. When he did that the sound just hit harder than any robot motion possibly could.

I really hope Jack doesn't end up kill all of them. Those poor kids.

cdtm
Also this show just simply has some of the best sound design. When he did that the sound just hit harder than any robot motion possibly could.

Well, he brought the whole place down around their ears, so he couldn't be too comcerned if they live or die.

KingD19
Not true. He'd been hounded by them for what seemed like hours. Or even if it was just the 20 minutes of the show, he's been a warrior for at least 70 years. He knows how capable and powerful they are, and that collapsing the temple wouldn't kill them.

His concern was obvious when he slit her throat. As he has killed biological creatures before, but never a human. Much less a human teenage girl.

AuraAngel
Knowing Genndy, I don't think we have to worry about getting a bloodbath or anything. The man is clearly inspired by Usagi Yojimbo, which means thoughtful writing. He was probably pressure to put in as much as he did (And none of it from Jack.)

Well this comment did not age well.

wakkawakkawakka

So much for that thing considering the latest episode.

NotAllThatEvil
Is ashi dead?

cdtm
Well this comment did not age well.

No, it did not. sad

If Jacks message was supposed to be the moral of the story, it sort of missed the point when you consider those kids DIDN'T choose their path. It was forced on them.

They're basically brainwashed cultist's who were probably kidnapped while young and indoctrinated. They didn't even know what a deer is..

NotAllThatEvil
No, it did not. sad

If Jacks message was supposed to be the moral of the story, it sort of missed the point when you consider those kids DIDN'T choose their path. It was forced on them.

They're basically brainwashed cultist's who were probably kidnapped while young and indoctrinated. They didn't even know what a deer is..

We saw them being born. They were trained to kill Jack since birth. The deer scene made their death particularly sad for me

cdtm
Ah, well there it is then.

Maybe Ashi will be the lone survivor, they'll form a bond, and Jack will come to regret his choice.

AuraAngel
In Jack's tentative defense he doesn't know that and did give them a chance.

Of course if Jack manages to get back to the past to kill Aku then those girls will get a happier life in theory.

cdtm
In Jack's tentative defense he doesn't know that and did give them a chance.

Of course if Jack manages to get back to the past to kill Aku then those girls will get a happier life in theory.

I don't blame Jack. I'm just wondering where the stories going with it.

I still have faith in Genndy, he has a pretty good track record. I'm certain this won't end with Jack self rightiously clinging to the comparison of cutthroats who made their choices (Which would be a disappointing way to leave this off.)

I will say the scenes with Jack and the dog, and Jack and Jack were awesome.

cdtm
Ahh, I get it now.

Jack's speech was really to Jack. He just hasn't realized it yet.

NemeBro
No, it did not. sad

They're basically brainwashed cultist's who were probably kidnapped while young and indoctrinated. They didn't even know what a deer is.. It's dramatic irony. Jack is justifying his killing of the Daughters of Aku with a moral his father taught him, completely unaware that it doesn't apply to them at all, because they've never been allowed to make their own choices for their entire lives. It's actually a pretty great deconstruction of the moral.

Surtur
I miss Mako.

cdtm
Best episode of Samurai Jack yet! thumb up

Surtur
Best episode of Samurai Jack yet! thumb up

Wow why don't you just stab the ghost of Mako in the heart.

CosmicComet
I'm totally shipping Jack and Ashi now.

NotAllThatEvil
She's 16 and he's 75?

CosmicComet
I've seen no numbers listed anywhere, I'll assume she is an adult with that figure.

Regardless, thats legal where I am anyway. lol

cdtm
Genndy didn't disappoint, he's definately playing out the "chose their path" angle.

Good thing I manually set my dvr that would have skipped the "repeat".

Dark-Kenshin
No shipping please. Shipping has f-cked up otherwise great shows and is probably what killed the Naruto series aside from the author's constant asspulls.

Besides, Ashi seems more akin to a daughter than a romance. I think a reluctant father/daughter dynamic would do a lot more for Jack's character at this point. If he were to romance someone, it'd need to be someone who was more or less Jack's equal mentally speaking.

cdtm
**** that, Jack and female Aku 4life. wink

cdtm
So, does the destroyed time portals include the Guardians? I thought he was destined to fight Jack in a rematch (And didn't he defend the portal from even Aku in the past?)

cdtm
Nice to see Scottsman again.

Ashi was too easily convinced. Nothing Jack showed her is really proof Aku was personally evil (Anyone could commit evil acts in someone elses name).

KingD19
So him constantly helping her and saving her life after she calmed down. And showing her things and people Aku destroyed. And that big evil guy getting full permission to kill a village of kids and puppies on Akus order isn't enough? While her mother basically disowned her and threatened her life because she didn't blindly murder for the benevolent Aku. Come on man.

cdtm
Yeah, but she was raised her entire life to believe just one thing.

Think of a brainwashed cultist. They can justify anything to support their warped vision of reality, and often take months/years to deprogram.

But Jack up and convinced her everything she was raised to believe is bunk in five minutes. (Yeah, it's a 20 minute show, but she could have put up a little more resistance, and maybe only started asking a few questions now, and come around some episodes down the line.)

cdtm
Can Aku destroy Scottsman's soul, I wonder?

Dark-Kenshin
I personally don't like how quickly Aishi changed her mind. I was execting something a LOT more gradual. Payoff would've been much better in the end.

cdtm
So, it's pretty obvious the sword will be recovered, but is there anything else that could be used against Aku?

He's never been completely untouchable. The guardians of that water jewel held him off, at least. And I bet the wish fairy could do something against him.

But those are all pretty narrow use plot devices. Is there anything actually obtainable?

Dark-Kenshin
So, it's pretty obvious the sword will be recovered, but is there anything else that could be used against Aku?

He's never been completely untouchable. The guardians of that water jewel held him off, at least. And I bet the wish fairy could do something against him.

But those are all pretty narrow use plot devices. Is there anything actually obtainable? Aku himself maybe? Dude is depressed. Almost suicidally so.

Dark-Kenshin
And Jack is suddenly over his depression and psychological issues. Meh. Pacing is way too fast here, IMO.

KingD19
He literally had to fight a ghost samurai that was feeding his despair because of his own personal failures in death. Ashi had to nearly die and show him that he'd made her life do a complete 180% despite killing all of her sisters. As well as reminding him that he did indeed save basically the entire planet in some fashion at some point in the past 50 years. In fact if the ghost didn't try to kill her, he might've still gone through with it.

Also, it was the "death" of the children that pushed him over the edge. He could handle everything else. So once she told him they were alive, why would he stay depressed to the point he was willing to commit Seppuku when he never went that far before>

Dude, it's a single season. How slow do you want it to go? There's not gonna be another 5, it's this and that's it.

Pacing's pretty spot on, just seems like you're complaining to complain.

Dark-Kenshin
He literally had to fight a ghost samurai that was feeding his despair because of his own personal failures in death. Ashi had to nearly die and show him that he'd made her life do a complete 180% despite killing all of her sisters. As well as reminding him that he did indeed save basically the entire planet in some fashion at some point in the past 50 years. In fact if the ghost didn't try to kill her, he might've still gone through with it.All covered in the timespan of like three minutes. The idea is fine overall. It's the execution which I found lacking. Same with Ashi suddenly realizing the error of her ways. These are great ideas, but there are so many better ways to execute them when you've ten episodes to play around with. Genndy strikes me as just being too impatient.

My understanding was that he was depressed and psychologically traumatized because Aku destroyed all the time portals and there was no way to undo his evil and thus no point in his journey. Hence the "There's no way home! There's nothing to fight for!" tagline which we've heard hundreds of time via the teasers for this season. I don't see why Ashi reminding him that he's done plenty of good over the years would convince Jack that everything is going to be fine.

You can properly pace this kind of subplot in a single season. 10 episodes is plenty of time to wrap up the whole Jack's inner conflict storyline. Frankly, I was expecting it get resolved during the climax of this season (9th or 10th episode). You know, that one moment where everything ties together and the hero finally overcomes his self-doubt in a spectacular fashion right before (or even during) his final showdown with the villain. I might end up changing my mind once I've seen the entire season, but right now, it just feels premature.

And it seems like you're just fanboying to fanboy. One can appreciate Samurai Jack (which I certainly do) while also being aware of its flaws.

cdtm
How old are those blind archers? Assuming they're the same trio Jack saved (And they talked like they were), they can't be human.

cdtm
Originally posted by Dark-Kenshin
And Jack is suddenly over his depression and psychological issues. Meh. Pacing is way too fast here, IMO.

Maybe the real storyline is going to be Jack and Ashi spending 90% of the season helping Aku get therapy, so he can destroy him properly. wink

CosmicComet
I think that was my favorite episode of Jack to date.

Surtur

NotAllThatEvil
Go have a stupid question. Was ashi naked the entire time?

KingD19
Yeah. All of the Daughters were. The mom dropped them in hot coals and it basically turned into a body scab.

NotAllThatEvil
Then how did Jack not realize they weren't robots?

Dark-Kenshin
Jack has banished his evil side and got his sword and outfit back. Aishi has defeated her mother out of nowhere. And the gods even had the courtesy of giving Jack a clean shave!

Hopefully, they kill Aku and go back in time in the next episode as I don't see anything else worth covering.

I think I changed my mind on whether Jack is gonna hook up with Aishi. Recent two episodes have made it clear she's waifu fodder.

KingD19
Then how did Jack not realize they weren't robots?

He'd basically been fighting robots for 50 years straight. Even some of them resembled humanoids and animals. Also they didn't speak, moved in unison, and had superhuman strength, agility, etc... All the hallmarks of robots.

And he was also mired in so much self doubt and anger and etc... that he was focused purely on survival. And as of the most current episode, it's obvious that his anger personified was manipulating him to an extent.

So there's plenty of reasons.

cdtm
Is it the same sword? They shot some eyebeam things at Jack.

Wondering if maybe they took Jack's worthiness and forged another sword from it. Or at least imbued his power into it.

Sort of like Inuyasha's fang repairing Tetsusaigi, so that he was symbolically relying on his own strength instead of his father's.

KingD19
It's the same sword. Just they made a show of giving it back to him. The eyebeams simply bestowed him with his sword once again, as well as restoring him to his true classic appearance which was basically a way of showing that Jack was really back.

marwash22
Go have a stupid question. Was ashi naked the entire time? not a stupid question. I was watching that episode with my roommate and we both went "wait wut" when she started scrubbing the black stuff off that we thought was clothing.

CosmicComet
LOL @ anyone that didn't see that inevitability coming a mile away.

"Nah bruh its a father daughter relationship bruh".

laughing out loud

cdtm
Totally father/daughter relationship. thumb up

Next week looks to be a visit to the portal guardian. Or whatever's left of him.

XanatosForever
The music, though. haermm

NemeBro
Originally posted by CosmicComet
LOL @ anyone that didn't see that inevitability coming a mile away.

"Nah bruh its a father daughter relationship bruh".

laughing out loud Everyone expected this to happen my man. The more intelligent among the fanbase merely hoped it wouldn't. thumb up

cdtm
Genndy's pretty much just screwing around, from the look of it. Out of left field tone changes and no real pacing.

Probably never even had an endgame when he started this series, and is just in it for the money.

But why should Toriyama get all the fun? More power to him, nobody gave a shit when he was working his ass off on good stuff.

CosmicComet
Originally posted by NemeBro
Everyone expected this to happen my man. The more intelligent among the fanbase merely hoped it wouldn't. thumb up

That's certainly an opinion, even those among the unwashed masses like yourself are entitled to them.

thumb up

Surtur
That's certainly an opinion, even those among the unwashed masses like yourself are entitled to them.

thumb up

Oh snap, you're gonna get called a phaggot. Try not to be blown away by the cleverness and non-childlike nature of the insult.

Dark-Kenshin
I really feel this season blew away a lot of its potential with some of the storytelling decisions. Take for example Scaramouch. He knows (or rather, knew) Jack didn't have his sword. As of episode 6, he was even headed back to Aku to let him know Jack doesn't have his sword. This added a EXTRA THICC layer of tension to the plot and kept viewers on the edge of their seats as to how things were going to play out. Then, lo and behold, in the next episode, Jack suddenly gets his sword back, hence immediately destroying the tension created by Scaramouch rushing back to inform Aku of his discovery.

cdtm
Agreed completely.

NemeBro

thumb up It's an opinion, but one far more well-substantiated than those who wished them to become an item my man. For one, them being a couple is somewhat creepy. More importantly, Jack being a paternal figure to Ashi is far more fulfilling to her character arc and to the story as a whole. Do you know why my son?

NemeBro
I really feel this season blew away a lot of its potential with some of the storytelling decisions. Take for example Scaramouch. He knows (or rather, knew) Jack didn't have his sword. As of episode 6, he was even headed back to Aku to let him know Jack doesn't have his sword. This added a EXTRA THICC layer of tension to the plot and kept viewers on the edge of their seats as to how things were going to play out. Then, lo and behold, in the next episode, Jack suddenly gets his sword back, hence immediately destroying the tension created by Scaramouch rushing back to inform Aku of his discovery. thumb up

Why even bring Scaramouch back?

NemeBro
Originally posted by Surtur
Oh snap, you're gonna get called a phaggot. Try not to be blown away by the cleverness and non-childlike nature of the insult. I only do that to retarded phaggots like you my nigga, CosmicComet is okay by me.

Robtard
Is Surtur trying to ruin my beloved Samurai jack with his phaggotness now? God damn it, not on my watch.

Dark-Kenshin
It's an opinion, but one far more well-substantiated than those who wished them to become an item my man. For one, them being a couple is somewhat creepy. More importantly, Jack being a paternal figure to Ashi is far more fulfilling to her character arc and to the story as a whole. Do you know why my son?

Yeah, I don't really care for the romance angle. My fear was that Genndy would rush the hell out of it and essentially render Ashi as being nothing more than waifu fodder. Unfortunately, my fears have been confirmed. I believe a father/daughter relationship would've added several layers of character development to Jack and kind of bring things full circle in regards to his overall journey. Thematically, it would've also been a nice touch. She goes from having Aku for a father to having Jack for a father.

But alas, oh well. May as well enjoy the remainder of the season for what it is. Jack is finally gonna kill Aku! smile

cdtm
The biggest reason they shouldn't have gone there:

10 year old kids have more of a sex education then Ashi.

If she didn't even know what a deer was, and never had a normal relationship with anyone before Jack, how can she give meaningful consent?

AuraAngel
That's still more of a sex education than Goku and he turned out...fine.

cdtm
That's still more of a sex education than Goku and he turned out...fine.

Still suspiciously niave about the process, going by some recent episodes.

Are those "really" his kids? What did Chi-Chi do, take some skin and have them grown in a lab? (Or some "other" way. Don't be fooled by appearances, maybe he has closer blood relations to Vegeta then we think? smile )

XanatosForever
I really feel this season blew away a lot of its potential with some of the storytelling decisions. Take for example Scaramouch. He knows (or rather, knew) Jack didn't have his sword. As of episode 6, he was even headed back to Aku to let him know Jack doesn't have his sword. This added a EXTRA THICC layer of tension to the plot and kept viewers on the edge of their seats as to how things were going to play out. Then, lo and behold, in the next episode, Jack suddenly gets his sword back, hence immediately destroying the tension created by Scaramouch rushing back to inform Aku of his discovery.

The problem with trying to make Scaramouche a credible threat with his attempt to inform Aku is its literally the only thing stopping the Shogun of Sorrow from obliterating Jack. Literally, without that sword, Jack is no more likely to defeat Aku than the Scotsman was, and if the story were played straight, the instant Aku knew that Jack was swordless he would not hesitate to finish him.

So if you want a bad end, I guess that works. erm

AuraAngel
Without Scaramouch, to Aku it seems like Jack just finally decided to shave and kick ass.

With Scaramouch, Aku can find out that if he had quit being cowardly and faced his problems directly("We don't say his name, this is a safe place"wink, then this could all have been avoided.

Scaramouch being brought back has absolutely nothing to do with creating tension from an external force and everything to do with punishing Aku for not dealing with his problems. It is karma and a contrast with Jack who eventually had to deal with Mad Jack.

Also if they wanted Aku to be a force of tension they would not have brought the Scotsman back immediately afterward. The show is clear in how it portrays Aku: a dangerously powerful ultimate evil that is actually quite a laughable coward in reality.

cdtm
In other words, this is Aku's story. He'll learn a valuble lesson and after much struggle and change, have a final showdown, completing his heroes journey. thumb up

NemeBro
In other words, this is Aku's story. He'll learn a valuble lesson and after much struggle and change, have a final showdown, completing his heroes journey. thumb up lol thumb up

RealityWarper
lol thumb up

You didn't insult anyone on that page.

Are you ok, mate ?

AuraAngel
He insults because he cares and he doesn't care about cdtm.

NemeBro
Originally posted by RealityWarper
You didn't insult anyone on that page.

Are you ok, mate ? Yeah I'm doing pretty good, how about you?

NemeBro
He insults because he cares and he doesn't care about cdtm. And people say I'm savage, jeez.

RealityWarper
Yeah I'm doing pretty good, how about you?

Fine. Thanks. thumb up

Dark-Kenshin
First episode I've legitimately enjoyed since the fourth episode. Looking forward to the finale!

cdtm
Portal Guaaaardian!

How did Jack just walk there? Didn't he hitch a ride on a bird to the top of a mountain the first time or something?

Dark-Kenshin
Portal Guaaaardian!

How did Jack just walk there? Didn't he hitch a ride on a bird to the top of a mountain the first time or something? This is one of those shows where people get from point A to point B at the speed of plot!

Dark-Kenshin
Lol. I really don't know what to say about this finale. laughing out loud

Dark-Kenshin
On the bright side, I'm glad I can finally close this chapter of my childhood. On the negative side, having watched all 10 episodes of season 5, I can say with confidence that Genndy was winging it as he went along and that he never had any idea how he was going to wrap things up even while writing this season. What happened is that his bank account was running low so he decided to cash in on the Samurai Jack cash cow. laughing

It's as if Genndy was writing this episode at the last minute. As if it only occured to him that Ashi would not exist if not for Aku after Genndy wrote the wedding scene and everything. Except at that point, Genndy just says "f*ck it" and rolls with it. I have no problem with a melancholy ending, but this ending has to be one of the laziest and anticlimactic endings I've seen in some time. laughing out loud

What should have happened is Jack kills Aku in the future and then we get a compelling moment where he has to choose between staying in the future with Ashi or leaving her behind in order to undo Aku's evil. The obvious fact that Ashi would cease should've been given some discussion and debate. Or heck, even better, just have Ashi sacrifice herself during the battle with Aku so Jack no longer has to worry about killing her. Or heck, in the alternative, address the fact that Aku is still technically alive as long as Ashi is alive. The twist from 9th episode had sooooo much potential, but Genndy blew it. This episode was pure laziness.

Don't get me wrong. This season had some great moments. The first four episodes were borderline perfect (aside from rushing the hell out of Ashi's character arc at the end of the fourth). The ninth episode, my distaste for Jack/Ashi pairing aside, was also amazing in how it raised the tension and created the setup for a fantastic finale. Every other episode, IMO, was either meh, rushed, anticlimactic, pointless or just plain bad.

cdtm
He must be a fan of Gurren Lagann. laughing

AuraAngel
Good send off. Farewell Samurai.

Nemesis X
I'd rather Jack had stayed in the future. It's what I've been anticipating this whole series. The lives he saved, the friends he made. Especially now that he's got a girlfriend he should've known killing Aku in the past would grimly affect her. GEE I WONDER WHY!

ares834
Disappointing finale. The ending was way too rushed. There wasn't even a goodbye to his friends in the future.

cdtm
So, why not kill Aku before he sends Jack into the future? Because it would create a paradox and wipe out future Jack?

But by killing Aku, who sent future Jack back to the past? Did Genndy try and create a stable time loop and flub it, or did he know it has problems?

KingD19
Killing Aku simply prevented the events of Samurai Jack from happening. A new timeline is created when he just kills Aku in the past. And in a way, that's a blessing for almost everyone, as they will all exist, but never go through the hardship of Aku's reign. Blind Archers never become slaves to the well. 300 never have to fight the Minotaurs. Woolies never get enslaved, etc, etc...

cdtm
Killing Aku simply prevented the events of Samurai Jack from happening. A new timeline is created when he just kills Aku in the past. And in a way, that's a blessing for almost everyone, as they will all exist, but never go through the hardship of Aku's reign. Blind Archers never become slaves to the well. 300 never have to fight the Minotaurs. Woolies never get enslaved, etc, etc...

Sure, but young Jack was still sent forward in time. And with Aku's death, he should be stuck there. No Aku to create Ashi, and no Ashi to send his older self back.

Old Jack killing Aku before he could send young Jack forward, and then old Jack and Ashi fading away as the timeline reset would have made more sense.

AuraAngel
Young Jack will eventually meet and defeat the Guardian.

ares834

A new timeline isn't created. The old one is simply changed. Which is why Ashi disappeared as she never existed. And no, it wouldn't be a blessing for nearly everyone as the people Jack met in the future would no longer exist either. Quite disturbing really.

Dark-Kenshin
Old Jack killing Aku before he could send young Jack forward, and then old Jack and Ashi fading away as the timeline reset would have made more sense. Infinitely more sense. thumb up

KingD19
Sure, but young Jack was still sent forward in time. And with Aku's death, he should be stuck there. No Aku to create Ashi, and no Ashi to send his older self back.

Old Jack killing Aku before he could send young Jack forward, and then old Jack and Ashi fading away as the timeline reset would have made more sense.

There aren't 2 Jack's. It's all the same Jack. He was sent forward in time in Episode 1 of Season 1. Ashi went back with him to the same instant he left, and he killed Aku. Meaning he never went forward in time in the first place.

And how does Aku being dead mean the future doesn't happen? Just because he's not in it doesn't mean everyone else will never exist. Jack will just never see it.

cdtm
But he DID get sent to the future. Aku being killed AFTER Jack is sent forward wouldn't undo that. Not any more then destroying a plane after the passengers depart would prevent their trip.

It WOULD undo Aku existing in the future, though.

<< THERE IS MORE FROM THIS THREAD HERE >>