How much responsibility does the media play in 'encouraging' mass shootings?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Ascendancy
Almost all of these shooters have some claimed message that they want to get across, and the media not only publishes it time after time, but plasters the perpetrator's name seemingly every chance that they get. Over and over and over the people who carry out these attacks have their face and name shown to the world. There's literally no faster way at this point to get your name into every household in the country night after night.

It used to be that when you did something heinous your name became anathema, but the media latches onto every single detail about the people who murder for fame, for notoriety, for their message and pushes it down the throats of the public. I literally made it a point for myself to do everything I could to keep the killer's names out of my mind after Virginia Tech, and beyond that shooter I cannot tell you a single mass murder's name since. He sent his tape to NBC, and every network played it for the world to see. It's ridiculous.

No doubt the same will be seen with this latest group. It's one thing to wonder and speculate at motives when they aren't clear, but it's painfully obvious how much many of these shooters want attention, and the media gives it to them unrelentingly.

Thoughts?

Time-Immemorial
Media created the race war in America as well as Black lives matter so its reason to assume they further along this mass shooting agenda.

Tzeentch
The media has a fairly large amount of responsibility for these attacks by virtue of their sensationalizing them, yes.

Freedom of the press is unfortunately a concept in a long line of concepts that made sense a long time ago but isn't really realistic in today's age due to technology.

Time-Immemorial
Good postthumb up

Time-Immemorial
What is interesting is guns are illegal in Europe, yet Paris was just attacked with guns, bombs and suicide vests. People really believe gun laws are going to stop anything.

Come try in this in Texas and well see who kills the maniacs first, us or the police.

Mindset
As much responsibility as the people who are involved in the selling and manufacturing of guns and bullets.

Ascendancy
Originally posted by Mindset
As much responsibility as the people who are involved in the selling and manufacturing of guns and bullets.

So you think if these shooters knew that their tapes, manifestos, and names would be an afterthought and never see the public eye they'd carry out the large scale attacks that they do? These shooters record themselves, tweet, blog, FB, and everything else quite often now before they go on these sprees. Crime in general is down, and almost all forms of violent crime are down, mass shootings being a notable exception.

Again, I can't think of a faster way to get yourself into the public eye, nor a means that will keep you as a topic of discussion for years to come with relatively speaking so little 'effort'. You decide you want your message out there and you don't care about necessarily being around to see it done so long as it gets done, and you know 100% that the media will spread it for you like the diseased tripe that it is. Knowing that you'll literally be one of the top search hits for any part of your name and for the area involved for the next who knows how long certainly isn't a deterrent when you feel like you're not being heard for one reason or another.

Q99
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Media created the race war in America as well as Black lives matter so its reason to assume they further along this mass shooting agenda.

Time actually thinks the *Media* caused that... and not the long-term problems of violence, police behavior, and so on...

Wow.

Well, I will say that the media caused BLM in the sense of helping bringing the problems to light so they'll actually get responded to.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Ascendancy
These shooters record themselves, tweet, blog, FB, and everything else quite often now before they go on these sprees. Crime in general is down, and almost all forms of violent crime are down, mass shootings being a notable exception.

I disagree. If you're willing to carry out an act of violence or terror without a specific target or victim in mind, why ruin your chances of carrying it by advertising it on social media. Terrorist organisations are usually posting random threats so they can easily claim any violence perturbed as theirs.

It's a more common occurrence that the reasons are discovered afterwards when the killer/s are identified & their places, computers, diaries searched for evidence.

It's also a bit strange to separate mass shootings away from crime when it's becoming such a common occurrence in America.

riv6672
No more/less responsibility than they've always had.

The media has been doing the exact same thing in the exact same way since there's been media.
What you need to look at is society.
Society made superstars out of Jack the Ripper, Jesse James, Billy the Kid, Charles Manson...
Blaming the media is an easy out.

Mindset
Originally posted by Ascendancy
So you think if these shooters knew that their tapes, manifestos, and names would be an afterthought and never see the public eye they'd carry out the large scale attacks that they do? These shooters record themselves, tweet, blog, FB, and everything else quite often now before they go on these sprees. Crime in general is down, and almost all forms of violent crime are down, mass shootings being a notable exception.

Again, I can't think of a faster way to get yourself into the public eye, nor a means that will keep you as a topic of discussion for years to come with relatively speaking so little 'effort'. You decide you want your message out there and you don't care about necessarily being around to see it done so long as it gets done, and you know 100% that the media will spread it for you like the diseased tripe that it is. Knowing that you'll literally be one of the top search hits for any part of your name and for the area involved for the next who knows how long certainly isn't a deterrent when you feel like you're not being heard for one reason or another. Yes.

Newjak
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
What is interesting is guns are illegal in Europe, yet Paris was just attacked with guns, bombs and suicide vests. People really believe gun laws are going to stop anything.

Come try in this in Texas and well see who kills the maniacs first, us or the police. So even though Europe experiences much less overall gun violence than in America you are using this one incident to say that the rest of their lower gun violence means nothing?

I know as much as you like to believe if these people showed up in your backyard in Texas that you would all turn into Rambo but that simply is a fairy tale. The people who committed these acts could have easily duplicated the results they had in Paris. After all the element of surprise is incredibly important.

Surtur
The way we treat killers is utterly disgusting. Not just in the media, in general. We allow serial killers to get god damn fan mail in prison.

red g jacks
we should destroy their manifesto, erase any trace of their identity, and dump their body in the ocean

otherwise the terrorists win

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Surtur
The way we treat killers is utterly disgusting. Not just in the media, in general. We allow serial killers to get god damn fan mail in prison.

Society in general has a fascination for the criminal element.
Just count all the movies based on serial killers.
People go home after work, turn on the TV to relax watching cop & court dramas.
It's ingrained that we're voyueristic to violence.

Surtur
Yes, and you have these dumb little twits out there sending these killers nude photo's and money and all that. Those are the type of crazies we need put on a watch list.

Mindset
The way we treat killers is utterly disgusting. Not just in the media, in general. We allow serial killers to get god damn fan mail in prison. This isn't anything new.

Surtur
I never said it was new, it's just a sickness that exists. Made worse by the fact some of the killers are given online access. Ted Bundy had fans, female fans. Which is like a black guy being a huge fan of the KKK.

Mindset
I never said it was new, it's just a sickness that exists. Made worse by the fact some of the killers are given online access. Ted Bundy had fans, female fans. Which is like a black guy being a huge fan of the KKK. It's not exactly the same as that.

People are attracted to darkness, not sure why, probably because we can't really understand it so it interests us.

Robtard
Mindset has proposed to Charles Manson no fewer than seventeen times.

Mindset
Originally posted by Robtard
Mindset has raped Charles Manson no fewer than seventeen times. ftfy

Esau Cairn
Yes, and you have these dumb little twits out there sending these killers nude photo's and money and all that. Those are the type of crazies we need put on a watch list.

They're harmless livng in their own fantasy worlds.
They don't openly admit or declare their "love" because it would destroy the fantasy.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.