university activism?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

red g jacks
what is going on at our universities... i thought these kids were supposed to be our best and brightest... i just don't see it.

here, these kids at princeton are protesting to get woodrow wilson's name off the building cause he supported segregation. a bit misguided perhaps... but the most reasonable protest you will see in this post.

jC2yB2Zusyg

mizzou's prez was forced to resign because some black kid went on a hunger strike until he did so. his crime? not doing enough to fight racism...

start vid at 6:50
pTeT-H60Snw?
and yes the news is covering this shit
PinE7qbh46U

drama at yale over halloween costumes... and yea, someone did just shout "retweet"
nd4kX66uG1M

i mean this one just speaks for itself...
a0SiHNOcYJo

more shit below
js0JutcAJj0
ZLmB-RduUNw

...pretty sure that's the same sign laughing out loud

so yea.... the **** is going on at our ivory towers? what are you guys doing?

Omega Vision
Nope, not taking the bait.

red g jacks
what are you accusing me of exactly?

Omega Vision
Originally posted by red g jacks
what are you accusing me of exactly?
being reactionary and not really attempting to understand why these people are protesting. Basically, cranky old man syndrome.

red g jacks
so educate me then...pick your protest and validate their reasoning... i've been looking for a voice of reason amidst their ranks... just haven't found one

Mindset
Originally posted by Omega Vision
Nope, not taking the bait. Take it.

Take it hard.

red g jacks
so educate me then...pick your protest and validate their reasoning... i've been looking for a voice of reason amidst their ranks... just haven't found one i guess that's a no. it's funny that you feel you can just assume i haven't looked into their reasons for protesting and that i am unwilling to hear the voice of reason when you refuse to even try to explain it for yourself.

you know what i call that? phony. you're just taking the default pro-protester stance. basically, pussy-whipped boyfriend of an activist syndrome.

ArtificialGlory
It's called being a clueless college kid.

red g jacks
Originally posted by ArtificialGlory
It's called being a clueless college kid. that's what it seems like to me, but what do i know? supposedly there is something really important behind these protests that i'm missing. only hip young people in the know are privy to this information.

let's go over these one by one... i will list (based on the words of the protesters themselves) why i think each of them is protesting. i invite somebody to come in here and either point out where i'm wrong about their reasons for protesting or defend the reasons that i list.

yale - the "intercultural affairs committee" issued an email advising students to avoid offensive halloween costumes or costumes that are "cutlurally appropriating." the headmaster's wife issued the following email response:

https://www.reddit.com/r/TumblrAtRest/comments/3rw5vb/this_email_written_by_a_yale_professor_on/

this is what the confrontation in the (4th) video was about. i'm not sure what other interpretation there could be. other issues that have been cited at yale include:

http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2015/11/yale-president-apologizes-to-minority-students-for-failing-make-them-feel-safe.php

but you can see clearly from the video and the students own words that their main concern was with the headmaster and his wife's email "failing to make yale a safe space."

mizzou - the president's inaction at fighting racism. this is what the protesters themselves say, this is why the kid went on a hunger strike. he refused to give it up until the president specifically resigned. as far as the racism in question, the only examples i've found are 1)a student disrupted an event by calling the people there n*ggers. he was punished... but they didn't think the punishment was enough. 2) somebody smeared a swastika with their own shit on a bathroom wall. nobody knows who did it, what is the president supposed to do? 3) a student says he was called a ****** by some people in a passing pickup truck - no indication whether those people were even students at the school or not.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/09/us/missouri-football-players-protest-president-resigns/

this is what a career is ended over? i thought liberals were supposed to be caring. the protesters in general are basically mad at the guy's icy response to their blocking his car with their demonstration:

u6zwnmlzZSQ

this is why he was specifically targeted as a symbolic scapegoat for the vague racism that had occurred on campus. and, like in any other totalitarian ideology, he not only resigns but has to come back and repent for his false sins as well.

0DCgJZ7_oEE

basically dude was too white to be president of mizzou with all the racism that is occuring

princeton: they are protesting over the name on the building. woodrow wilson. they don't like the historical connotations of segregation. that, as i said, is reasonable enough. but the counter arguments for keeping his name up are as well. namely that he "created a normative structure for international relations that led to the united nations "(see the first vid @ 9:00) and the college in question is his alma mater, and the building with his name on it is the wing dedicated to foreign policy and international affairs.

so what am i missing?

red g jacks
oh and i almost forgot the million student march or whatever that basically demands all the same shit bernie sanders promised in his imaginary america. that's an idea that is actually appealing to me, but they don't know how to pay for it. the girl went on tv and bombed. she looked like a spoiled little retard.

Henry_Pym
They are pro segregation, that alone shows anyone supporting them is a bigot.

red g jacks
what are you talking about pal?

Henry_Pym
http://www.mediaite.com/online/mizzou-protesters-literally-segregate-themselves-based-on-race/

These children are insane.

red g jacks
wow laughing out loud

Surtur
Okay wait no hold up. For at the very least the Halloween video you can't blame that on "cranky old man syndrome". There is no way that is any type of legit protest nor does it solve anything nor was it even over an issue that warranted a protest.

It's a f*cking Halloween costume, they need to get over it and stop acting like children. I swear before it was that people would sue you over anything, now people will protest over anything, even stupid shit. They are attending one of the best colleges in the country and behaving as if they don't belong in a community college.

At least in Missouri they were saying people were being actively racist towards them.

I'm not that much older then these people, but I just can't imagine getting so worked up that I would not only yell at someone like that, but do so in public and with people recording.

ArtificialGlory
oh and i almost forgot the million student march or whatever that basically demands all the same shit bernie sanders promised in his imaginary america. that's an idea that is actually appealing to me, but they don't know how to pay for it. the girl went on tv and bombed. she looked like a spoiled little retard.

Were these the morons who thought that a 90% tax rate was a good idea?

But yeah, in general I would say that for the most part these are clueless, impressionable kids who think that a couple years at a college/university gives them the right to talk out their asses. The good news is that most of them will grow out of it, the bad news is that some won't and will become SJW ideologues who will continue to spread their shit ideas.

red g jacks
and btw... in the yale video, you see how they all start snapping their fingers? that's their version of clapping. they find actual clapping to be too triggering. laughing out loud if i didn't know better i'd honestly think this is some elaborate display of satire. as to the allegations that i'm cranky, i actually find this all very bizarre and thus entertaining. it's quite the spectacle.

ArtificialGlory
and btw... in the yale video, you see how they all start snapping their fingers? that's their version of clapping. they find actual clapping to be too triggering. laughing out loud if i didn't know better i'd honestly think this is some elaborate display of satire. as to the allegations that i'm cranky, i actually find this all very bizarre and thus entertaining. it's quite the spectacle.

Yeah, it's basically Tumblr come to life. It's both entertaining and kind of scary at the same time.

Tzeentch
It says a lot about how cynical we are as a collective that having a conscience is confused for being radical.

For what purpose should society idealize people who were morally bankrupt?

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Tzeentch
It says a lot about how cynical we are as a collective that having a conscience is confused for being radical.

For what purpose should society idealize people who were morally bankrupt?

Don't worry, these people have no more or less of a conscience than everyone else, less probably.

George Washington, as well as the rest of the Founding Fathers, owned slaves. Why idolize these apparently morally bankrupt people?

Henry_Pym
Originally posted by Surtur
Okay wait no hold up. For at the very least the Halloween video you can't blame that on "cranky old man syndrome". There is no way that is any type of legit protest nor does it solve anything nor was it even over an issue that warranted a protest.

It's a f*cking Halloween costume, they need to get over it and stop acting like children. I swear before it was that people would sue you over anything, now people will protest over anything, even stupid shit. They are attending one of the best colleges in the country and behaving as if they don't belong in a community college.

At least in Missouri they were saying people were being actively racist towards them.

I'm not that much older then these people, but I just can't imagine getting so worked up that I would not only yell at someone like that, but do so in public and with people recording. the "racist" claims are more than likely fake. Multiple claims have been proven as nothing more than lies.

red g jacks

For what purpose should society idealize people who were morally bankrupt? what are you talking about, pal? why wont any of you people get specific?

Tzeentch
Don't worry, these people have no more or less of a conscience than everyone else, less probably.

George Washington, as well as the rest of the Founding Fathers, owned slaves. Why idolize these apparently morally bankrupt people? We shouldn't. We should acknowledge their achievements while also acknowledging that they were in general pretty shitty people whose humanist perspectives should not be emulated ever.

what are you talking about, pal? why wont any of you people get specific? ?

red g jacks
nobody is actually advocating woodrow wilson's segregationist policies, though. they only pay respect to his contributions to foreign policy. it's like people can't handle history. we always talk about "historical context" whenever we look at really old shit... yet with recent history we don't. but a lot has changed since 1920. he wasn't actually morally bankrupt. he had morals that matched the era he lived in.

? i didn't know who you were talking about at first... i should've guessed woodrow wilson.

Surtur
Though Malcolm X was also pro segregation at one point. I wonder if they'd protest to get his name taken off of a building? Or how they'd feel if whites got together to protest and get his name off a building because at one point he believed in segregation and even had sit down meetings with the KKK.

Originally posted by Henry_Pym
the "racist" claims are more than likely fake. Multiple claims have been proven as nothing more than lies.

Yes there is a lot of kids crying wolf, and I do stress the word kids because these are kids in the body of grown ass adults.

But racism itself would still be a legit reason to protest. Halloween costumes are nothing to throw a fit over. If that guy slapped her right in the mouth I would of just nodded my head and said "that seems about right". Spoiled entitled brats who could get offended over a damn stubbed toe.

I'm shocked we haven't had protests over "Black Friday". I mean it says black!!

red g jacks
i believe the incidents of racism happened... it just seems like the president was a scapegoat to me. two of the incidents are confirmed... only the one with the pickup truck is suspect. but either way i can buy it. but the response is what's irrational to me. instead of trying to get the president's attention and get him to do something about it... it's off with his head.

if it was me, i would've refused to resign regardless of how many people called for it. just the fact that some kid went on a hunger strike to oust me... i would like to see how far he was really willing to go. how long before common sense kicks in and he realizes this would be an idiotic thing to die for?

Surtur
They'd never let him die though. Can you imagine the field day people would have? Since you know stupid people out there would blame the school or the president of the school for the students death. I could just see it now..the kids parents on tv, whining, blaming the school.

Now let us keep in mind some of the other stuff being protested. One specific is a shooting from Minnesota the guy beat his girlfriend so severely paramedics needed to be called. The guy then tried to prevent them from assisting her, the cops were called, and the guy ended up shot.

Some tried to claim the guy was handcuffed, but of course there has been no evidence of that and as we learned in Ferguson: witnesses straight up will lie and just can't be trusted. Hands up don't shoot taught us all that.

So once again people protesting without knowing what really happened. But no matter how misguided protesting before even waiting to see what happens may be..they still had a potentially legit reason to protest, which is more then you can say for a decent number of these university protests.

ArtificialGlory
We shouldn't. We should acknowledge their achievements while also acknowledging that they were in general pretty shitty people whose humanist perspectives should not be emulated ever.

I agree that we shouldn't idolize them and take their words and perspectives as sacrosanct, but would anyone honestly suggest we destroy statues, monuments, and memorials dedicated to them? That we should start taking off their names from buildings? People like the Founding Fathers and Woodrow Wilson have done far more good than bad and they deserved to be commemorated. These childish, petty protests can rot.

red g jacks
They'd never let him die though. Can you imagine the field day people would have? Since you know stupid people out there would blame the school or the president of the school for the students death. I could just see it now..the kids parents on tv, whining, blaming the school.

Now let us keep in mind some of the other stuff being protested. One specific is a shooting from Minnesota the guy beat his girlfriend so severely paramedics needed to be called. The guy then tried to prevent them from assisting her, the cops were called, and the guy ended up shot.

Some tried to claim the guy was handcuffed, but of course there has been no evidence of that and as we learned in Ferguson: witnesses straight up will lie and just can't be trusted. Hands up don't shoot taught us all that.

So once again people protesting without knowing what really happened. But no matter how misguided protesting before even waiting to see what happens may be..they still had a potentially legit reason to protest, which is more then you can say for a decent number of these university protests. i know it would be a field day if he did die... but i'd let him sweat it out for as long as he wants because i am that confident that he had no intention whatsofever of actually starving himself. it's simply a matter of calling his bluff.

I agree that we shouldn't idolize them and take their words and perspectives as sacrosanct, but would anyone honestly suggest we destroy statues, monuments, and memorials dedicated to them? That we should start taking off their names from buildings? People like the Founding Fathers and Woodrow Wilson have done far more good than bad and they deserved to be commemorated. These childish, petty protests can rot. honestly, like i said i thought the princeton protests were the most reasonable out of all of them, but at the end of the day i do agree that for the sake of history it is pointless to scrub inconvenient names off our monuments

if being out of line with modern ideas on morality and racism is enough to make you morally bankrupt and unfit for any memorial.. then we need to destroy lincoln's monument as well. as he was what would by today's standards be considered a fervent racist and white supremacist.

Star428

George Washington, as well as the rest of the Founding Fathers, owned slaves. Why idolize these apparently morally bankrupt people?

"Morally Bankrupt", my ass. They helped defeat the British and founded this great country, moron. That's reason enough to "idolize them", you ungrateful fool. If you have a problem with the heroes who founded this country then perhaps you should pack your bags and move to a different country because those of us who are true Americans will be eternally grateful to them. America would be much better off without your progressive kind anyway.thumb up

The real reason you liberal progressives are more than happy to attack the founding Fathers is because you can't standit that the Constitutionis getting in the way of your progressive agenda and the founding Fathersare the ones who made that document.

"Those who don't like the message attack the messenger"-Carly Fiorina

Star428
Originally posted by Star428
"Morally Bankrupt", my ass. They helped defeat the British and founded this great country, moron. That's reason enough to "idolize them", you ungrateful fool. If you have a problem with the heroes who founded this country then perhaps you should pack your bags and move to a different country because those of us who are true Americans will be eternally grateful to them. America would be much better off without your progressive kind anyway.thumb up

The real reason you liberal progressives are more than happy to attack the founding Fathers is because you can't standit that the Constitutionis getting in the way of your progressive agenda and the founding Fathersare the ones who made that document.

*sigh*... Ran out of time before I could finish editing. Really annoying that 15 minute limit is. I guess I have to live with the fact that several of the words above aren't seperated. Reason they're not is because the space bar on my keyboard is defective. I have to constantly backtrack and hit space bar harder to separate words.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by Star428

Calm your horses there, shooter. I never said the Founding Fathers were morally bankrupt. In fact, my meaning was almost entirely opposite of that. They were actually upstanding, highly intelligent, moral people who did far more good than bad. Nonetheless, they were still products of their time and some things they did(such as owning slaves) would be considered utterly morally bankrupt by 21st century standards.

Why would I leave the US when I was never there to begin with? I, for the most part, admire the US and its constitution, but I am content to do so at a distance.

AsbestosFlaygon
I joined a protest once, back in uni. At the end of the day, we didn't get what we were fighting for. 'Twas a complete waste of time.

ArtificialGlory
Originally posted by AsbestosFlaygon
I joined a protest once, back in uni. At the end of the day, we didn't get what we were fighting for. 'Twas a complete waste of time.

What was it about?

Time-Immemorial
These students make me sick.

AsbestosFlaygon
What was it about?
A revision of some outdated laws, and translation of the Philippine Constitution from English to Filipino.

Nibedicus
A revision of some outdated laws, and translation of the Philippine Constitution from English to Filipino.

Ooo! Another Fili.

Hehe. I remember a movement similar to that back in the day. Being in Cebu at that time, we were strongly opposed to a lot of initiatives that meant pushing the Tagalog language onto a lot of required reading. I was annoyed that Noli me Tangere was forced to be read in Tagalog w/c started during my batch. But I'm not sure if that anything to do with your protest tho.

Surtur

When you say protest do you mean the normal sane people version of protesting or do you mean the "looting and burning for justice and logic" type of protest?

AsbestosFlaygon
When you say protest do you mean the normal sane people version of protesting or do you mean the "looting and burning for justice and logic" type of protest?
It was a marching rally, complete with banners and caricatures. We burned effigies, and a bit of violence was involved when the police blocked us with their shields and started hitting us with their batons. Some of us fought back by throwing stones, bottles, sticks. Others (me included) backed out just before the violence erupted. There was no looting or damage to personal property involved.

Time-Immemorial
The future is doomed if we have these idiots as our future.

Agusto Pinochet
These kids are spoiled politically correct weak brats. They should be expelled for all the stunts they've pulled. BLM is a terrorist outfit like the KKK, and should be treated as such.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.