Tarzan (2016)

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

marwash22
Plot Synopsis:
Tarzan, having acclimated to life in London, is called back to his former home in the jungle to investigate the activities at a mining encampment.

http://i.imgur.com/n2EJN7j.jpg

Starring: Alexander Skarsgard, Margot Robbie, Samuel L Jackson, Christoph Waltz, Djimon Hounsou & John Hurt

Aj7ty6sViiU

Esau Cairn
I grew up reading Tarzan.
I've no words to describe how hyped I am for this.

I just wish Margot wasn't Jane.

Esau Cairn
That pic is very unflattering to Margot.

BruceSkywalker
I shall pass

Time-Immemorial
Looks good

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by BruceSkywalker
I shall pass

Did you ever read the Tarzan/Batman crossover?

Inhuman
Originally posted by Esau Cairn

This movie is part if the DCU

marwash22
yes. Gorilla Grodd is the villain.

Dreampanther

It was pretty cool. Loved it when Batman stopped Tarzan from killing in Gotham, then when Tarzan killed his opponent in the jungle he told Batman, "This is my world."

The movie looks pretty epic - actually got some goosebumps when I heard the yell.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Dreampanther
It was pretty cool. Loved it when Batman stopped Tarzan from killing in Gotham, then when Tarzan killed his opponent in the jungle he told Batman, "This is my world."

The movie looks pretty epic - actually got some goosebumps when I heard the yell.

Loved the crossover but didn't like the alternate version of Two Face.

Yeah got goosebumps too. Been a long time since a movie did that to me.

Zack M
Nice. Lots of talent in this one.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by Zack M
Nice. Lots of talent in this one.

I just hope Jackson isn't a big part. It's just so obvious these days he's choosing roles for the pay packet.

Patient_Leech
I hope this is good. Looks like it might be at least somewhat true to the book. Not sure what to think from the trailer, though.

quanchi112
This is laughable.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by quanchi112
This is laughable.

Yeah I doubt Tarzan's gonna "dominate" any apes like the way you like it, Quan.

marwash22
laughing out loud

marwash22
This is laughable. Benedict Cumberbatch should have played Tarzan... and Jane. thumb up

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by marwash22
Benedict Cumberbatch should have played Tarzan... and Jane. thumb up

The apes would've abandoned him.
It would've been a very short film.

Patient_Leech
Benedict Cumberbatch should have played Tarzan... and Jane. thumb up
laughing out loud

quanchi112
Yeah I doubt Tarzan's gonna "dominate" any apes like the way you like it, Quan. Then the movie dips far below expectations I'll laugh in your lonely face. Just wait. But to you a half naked man swinging around who acts like an ape is a good thing. Loneliness makes people say the craziest thing.

quanchi112
Benedict Cumberbatch should have played Tarzan... and Jane. thumb up Why would he pick such a dud liked this ? Be serious.

Esau Cairn
Why would he pick such a dud liked this ? Be serious.

Yeah Tarzan doesn't need a mighty big gun to hide behind.

Khan falls while Tarzan swings.

Time-Immemorial
This will be Kaz's movie of the year.

Kazenji
How did you come to that conclusion?

i'm not even hyping this movie up, Unlike what Quan does with his bandwagon bs.

Estacado
This looks cheesy as hell but I like it!

quanchi112
Originally posted by Kazenji
How did you come to that conclusion?

i'm not even hyping this movie up, Unlike what Quan does with his bandwagon bs. My intensity and my passion is unrivaled.

Robtard
My OCD is unrivaled.

FTFY

quanchi112
Originally posted by Robtard
FTFY The characters I champion are obsessed as well. You don't get that because you're lukewarm in every facet of your ordinary, lackluster life.

wink

Robtard
Sorry, Khan doesn't suffer from OCD, it's a serious mental disorder.

I see you're repeating my "lackluster life" comment back, good parrot thumb up

Esau Cairn

I see you're repeating my "lackluster life" comment back, good parrot thumb up

Torpedo Envy

quanchi112
Yeah Tarzan doesn't need a mighty big gun to hide behind.

Khan falls while Tarzan swings. Khan beat the shit out of guns without guns. Advantage Khan because he doesn't need to swing from vines, lonely guy.

quanchi112

I see you're repeating my "lackluster life" comment back, good parrot thumb up Khan was obsessed with his crew. Of course you don't see that since you don't care for anything enough to be obsessed hence why you never watched all of the clone wars series. Just fickle and no intensity.

Esau Cairn
Khan was obsessed with his crew.

Smart tactics that.
"I'm so obsessed with the well being of my crew, I'm gonna hide them in torpedoes....Oh sh*t they're actually gonna fire those torpedoes at me, I'd better up!"

quanchi112
Smart tactics that.
"I'm so obsessed with the well being of my crew, I'm gonna hide them in torpedoes....Oh sh*t they're actually gonna fire those torpedoes at me, I'd better up!" He was obsessed with getting them back. They still survived. Khan also killed Marcus.

Esau Cairn
Ha ha they survived because smarter people took them out of the torpedoes he put them in.

quanchi112
Ha ha they survived because smarter people took them out of the torpedoes he put them in. He made them aware they were in the torpedoes. Watch the film, sport.

Esau Cairn
Oh yeah he did make them aware,I agree on that.

Can you agree it was stupid to hide his people in torpedoes that weren't even in his possession in the first place?
Khan had the technology to beam himself form Earth to Klingon territory but chose to hide the last 72 people of his race....in torpedoes.

quanchi112
Oh yeah he did make them aware,I agree on that.

Can you agree it was stupid to hide his people in torpedoes that weren't even in his possession in the first place?
Khan had the technology to beam himself form Earth to Klingon territory but chose to hide the last 72 people of his race....in torpedoes. You don't know if he had access to the tech at the time or the means to do so to 72 men without being unnoticed. Khan and his men survived. Marcus died.

smile

Esau Cairn
You don't know if he had access to the tech at the time or the means to do so to 72 men without being unnoticed. Khan and his men survived. Marcus died.

smile

To go unnoticed?
No one knew they existed in the 1st place!
And don't give Khan the credit for their survival, it was Spock & The Enterprise crew that shaved them ie: take them out of torpedoes that Khan put them in the 1st place.
Khan killed Marcus. Big whoop!

quanchi112
To go unnoticed?
No one knew they existed in the 1st place!
And don't give Khan the credit for their survival, it was Spock & The Enterprise crew that shaved them ie: take them out of torpedoes that Khan put them in the 1st place.
Khan killed Marcus. Big whoop! Marcus knew he existed. Do you feel like he just let him do whatever he wanted and trusted him without question ?

Marc pus was his universes Palpatine.

jinXed by JaNx
So is this on anyones radar? I'm just wondering if anyone was hard up to see another, Tarzan incarnation.

Esau Cairn
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
So is this on anyones radar? I'm just wondering if anyone was hard up to see another, Tarzan incarnation.

Personally yeah!
Grew up reading Tarzan & Conan novels.
Loved Planet/Apes & Kong too.

More hyped about this than another Godzilla movie.

jinXed by JaNx
Personally yeah!
Grew up reading Tarzan & Conan novels.
Loved Planet/Apes & Kong too.

More hyped about this than another Godzilla movie.

that's cool. Glad to hear it. for some reason i think this was just a response to the live action, Jungle book. Hope you enjoy it. Yeah, i like the planet of the apes remakes. I liked Kong up until the last hour of the movie.

Esau Cairn
I doubt it's just a knee jerk reaction to Jungle Book.
Both are classics & looks like they're finally been given the respect, as in a big scale budget feature each deserves.

jinXed by JaNx
Yeah, but to be fair, this story has been given the same respect in the past, it was just a different decade and era.

Esau Cairn
Greystoke had good intentions but had too many obstacles behind the scenes that it never stood a chance once it hit the big screens.
Vital scenes were deleted, doubts over Lambert being casted & a budget that kept being down-sized.

If you view it as a love story, it has merit.
It's always been in my top 10.

CPT Space Bomb
I honestly couldn't care less about this. Saw the trailer in the theater and must say it looks bland at best.

quanchi112
Originally posted by CPT Space Bomb
I honestly couldn't care less about this. Saw the trailer in the theater and must say it looks bland at best. Even the idea of Tarzan is shit. I haven't even clicked on the trailer. I laugh at anyone who loves the idea of Tarzan.

Robtard
Greystoke had good intentions but had too many obstacles behind the scenes that it never stood a chance once it hit the big screens.
Vital scenes were deleted, doubts over Lambert being casted & a budget that kept being down-sized.

If you view it as a love story, it has merit.
It's always been in my top 10.

Trailer didn't do much for me, but I'll still watch it, likely at home.

Just hoping this doesn't do for Tarzan, what the last Conan The Barbarian did for Conan.

Kazenji
David Yates is leagues above Marcus Nispel.

Kazenji
dLmKio67pVQ

Kazenji
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v484/Ash_ED/Other/CjVq55-UgAA_xs7_zpsjl25zgas.jpg~original

Patient_Leech
Please don't suck, please don't suck..

marwash22
That's what he didn't say

Patient_Leech
If she has mouth sores he most certainly would say that.

Robtard
dLmKio67pVQ

Meh, didn't make me want to see it more or less than before. Will still probably catch it at home instead of theaters.

riv6672
Then the movie dips far below expectations I'll laugh in your lonely face. Just wait.

I have never enjoyed/not enjoyed a movie due to what its grossed at the box office.
I'm funny that way.

Patient_Leech
I'll be looking at reviews for this. They should be coming in pretty soon..

Jmanghan
I grew up reading Tarzan.
I've no words to describe how hyped I am for this.

I just wish Margot wasn't Jane. Was the book more similar to this or the Disney movie, which will undoubtedly be better then this childhood-destroying disgrace.

Jmanghan
Originally posted by jinXed by JaNx
So is this on anyones radar? I'm just wondering if anyone was hard up to see another, Tarzan incarnation. I'm up for a family-friendly version.

quanchi112
Originally posted by riv6672
I have never enjoyed/not enjoyed a movie due to what its grossed at the box office.
I'm funny that way. Did I say I did ?

riv6672
No, you were just being you.

quanchi112
No, you were just being you. Being amazing. Guilty as charged.

Patient_Leech
Originally posted by Jmanghan
Was the book more similar to this or the Disney movie, which will undoubtedly be better then this childhood-destroying disgrace.
I haven't seen the Disney animated version, but this looks like it could be pretty close to the book from the trailers.

riv6672
Being amazing. Guilty as charged.
Amazingly childish, yes.

"I haven't even clicked on the trailer"

"I laugh at anyone who loves the idea of Tarzan"

"Then the movie dips far below expectations I'll laugh in your lonely face."

" Just wait. "

I love laughing at kids who have finally gotten unsupervised access to their computers. You try so hard. laughing

Patient_Leech
riv, you know you're just as guilty for feeding a troll, right?

riv6672
I saw no signs posted! stick out tongue

Really, though...can it be called trolling when instead of angry attention all he gets is laughed at?
Its like a fella who knocks himself out to make a serious documentary, then wins an award for best comedy.

Kazenji
Just don't bother with it.

riv6672
The movie?
No!
I must watch it!

Jmanghan
Quan is pretty awesome in the OTF.

In the versus threads, he just trolls.

riv6672
Kids are funny that way.

BruceSkywalker
doesn't look like much buzz for this

riv6672
People today prefer their heroes in spandex.

Robtard
I'm funny that way.

How much a film makes is one of the leading factors in how much quanchi enjoys or hates a film, why he's the known KMC flip-flopper and bandwagoneer. Always found that tactic silly myself.

tkitna
This movie actually looks pretty good. I would never go to the theater to watch it, but am anxious to see it at some point.

HelloLove
Hope Tarzan will be good, but the crappy CGI Tarzan swinging around the jungle in the trailer seems to promise the opposite, most likely not as good as it could have been. Margot Robbie could steal the show, she looks hot, look forward to the sequel though - THE LEGEND OF JANE.

~Mel1974~
I shall be watching this just because of the gorgeous Alexander Skarsgard stick out tongue

Patient_Leech
Mediocre reviews for this, so I'll probably hold off for cheaper options.

And after hearing a little more about the story it sounds like they've strayed from the book a bit.

Surtur
Marc pus was his universes Palpatine.

I disagree. To use a trope..I would peg him as a "well intentioned extremist". Whereas Palpatine just flat out loved being evil.

BruceSkywalker
tis looks to be a flop.. Poor WB ...

riv6672
Originally posted by Patient_Leech
And after hearing a little more about the story it sounds like they've strayed from the book a bit.
Well yeah, that was put out at the start.
This takes place 10 years(?) after the classic "Tarzan meets Jane" story. Tarzan's now civilized and a pop culture icon.
Its a coming home/getting back to his roots story.

Kazenji
Is it still worth checking out regardless of the average reviews?

riv6672
Reviews are good, but in the end, you gotta judge for yourself.

quanchi112
Amazingly childish, yes.

"I haven't even clicked on the trailer"

"I laugh at anyone who loves the idea of Tarzan"

"Then the movie dips far below expectations I'll laugh in your lonely face."

" Just wait. "

I love laughing at kids who have finally gotten unsupervised access to their computers. You try so hard. laughing Awe looks like I hurt your little feelings. Says the guy de modded in shame on one of the most lax boards out there.

quanchi112
I saw no signs posted! stick out tongue

Really, though...can it be called trolling when instead of angry attention all he gets is laughed at?
Its like a fella who knocks himself out to make a serious documentary, then wins an award for best comedy. Says a guy I have never once seen debate. You create topics and don't debate but try to stir the flames. You have no impact wherever you go, Tarzan.

riv6672
smile

Kazenji
So Riv is really Tarzan.....wow.

Firefly218
Solid movie pretty enjoyable.

Pacing is a bit slow. We don't see as much Tarzan action or acrobatics as we'd want because the cameras are lazy and keep cutting away. Other than that and a couple other plot issues it's fantastic.

6.5/10

Kazenji
I read the review from CBR the movie comes off as racist for the reviewer

"a white savior narrative that is regressive and offensive."

Firefly218

"a white savior narrative that is regressive and offensive." That's ridiculous. The reviewer clearly has an agenda or is looking for attention by being sensationalist

Kazenji
Here it is, Have a read of it

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2016/07/01/review-the-legend-of-tarzan-is-so-awful-its-astonishing/

riv6672
Meh.
Its nothing i havent heard/read a dozen times before. Tarzan's racist, Batman's a pedophile, Bert & Ernie are gay...roll eyes (sarcastic)

So Riv is really Tarzan.....wow.
Yes, i AM that white savior! big grin
I also posted a smiley face because, outside this thread, i cant recall a single thing quan's posted, while he seems to follow my comings and goings quite avidly, and thats always fun to know.

quanchi112
smile wink

ares834

"a white savior narrative that is regressive and offensive."

IGN said the same thing...

riv6672
SJWs are hardly known for being original. stick out tongue

Kazenji
Such a PC world we live in now.

Dr Will Hatch
Wanted to go see this today but couldn't because friends were too busy. Might see it next week. I'm worried because of the low Rotten Tomatoes score, but it's probably because Tarzan doesn't fit the sensibilities of today, but I'll probably enjoy it. Loved John Carter.

riv6672
^^^let us know if you enjoy it if you do!

Such a PC world we live in now.
No shit.

Kotor3
Saw the movie and enjoyed it. I was glad to see a movie that went into the other stories of Tarzan like the old black and white movies did and not rehash the beginning story all over again.

The only issue I had was no way those guys at the beginning should have been able to tie him up. He feats later on showed him to be way to strong for that to occur.

Enjoyed the movie and hope they make more with Tarzan visiting the jungle.

Firefly218
Originally posted by Kotor3
Saw the movie and enjoyed it. I was glad to see a movie that went into the other stories of Tarzan like the old black and white movies did and not rehash the beginning story all over again.

The only issue I had was no way those guys at the beginning should have been able to tie him up. He feats later on showed him to be way to strong for that to occur.

Enjoyed the movie and hope they make more with Tarzan visiting the jungle. I thought the best parts were the flashbacks that showed his origin story. It's not a rehash because we've never seen it in live action done in that way before and I wanted more of it. The movie would've been a lot more entertaining if it had been that origin story shown in flashbacks imo

riv6672
I started a topic the other day about the over use of origin stories. I think Tarzan (and Batman and Spider-man and Superman among others) is a character that doesnt need a whole movie dedicated to his origin.
Flashbacks are the way to go.

Kotor3
Originally posted by Firefly218
I thought the best parts were the flashbacks that showed his origin story. It's not a rehash because we've never seen it in live action done in that way before and I wanted more of it. The movie would've been a lot more entertaining if it had been that origin story shown in flashbacks imo I hear ya, I enjoyed the flash backs also. I enjoyed them because they were just that flash backs. Everyone knows Tarzan beginnings. There are so many other stories to be told. That is why I like the movie. Tarzan beginning story is unique but the least exciting of his stories to be told.

Kotor3
I started a topic the other day about the over use of origin stories. I think Tarzan (and Batman and Spider-man and Superman among others) is a character that doesnt need a whole movie dedicated to his origin.
Flashbacks are the way to go. thumb up

TheOneFirestorm
This is a amazing movie 8 out of 10.

Great acting, great 3 dimensional believable characters, great action Tarzan seems like a Super Soldier, great drama, great costumes, great music, great environments, and a happy ending.
Those fearing that Jane will be a predictable damsel nothing more she isn't.
This is basically Tarzan begins and it was greatly executed including how a Tarzan met Jane.

riv6672
Nice, that seems satisfying!

juggernaut74
This movie is surprisingly holding up well at the domestic boxoffice.

Passed 100 million this weekend. It had a big budget though but it does have some big markets to open in yet including China, Japan, Brazil and Germany.

Darth Thor
^ I have no idea what they were thinking spending $180mill on the budget for this.

Zack M
Saw it at a cheap theater. Not too bad.

Patient_Leech
I'm hoping to catch a cheap showing of this in a week or so too.

Esau Cairn
Visually, it was a beautiful movie.
But it was disappointing in the sense that it kept hinting at showing Tarzan in all his prowess & glory & sadly that "scene" or climax never comes.

I just found it weird that right from the very beginning of the story, we're introduced to a very reluctant "hero". He wants to be referred to as John, never Tarzan. And doesn't want to return to Africa because it's "hot'.

His interactions with animals are beautifully done but he never fully utilises them against the bad guys. We get one scene where he runs into his elephant companions (as a boy) but we never get to see him charging into battle with them slinging arrows on top of a bull elephant like in all the novels.

We only ever get that cheesey animal stampede that is ruined by the trailer.

Then you have the "less is more" formula where you hardly see Tarzan but constantly hear his battle cry as the camera pans a grander shot of the jungle for the nth time.

I did enjoy the movie but having read all the novels as a kid, I was hoping for more adventure. It just felt the movie kept hinting on an "epic" scene that never sadly arrives.

Greystoke with Chris Lambert was the love story version, I was hoping this would be the action/adventure one.

Dr Will Hatch
I actually liked this movie quite a bit. The script could have been better, but it was overall fine. I enjoyed it. It's failure at the box office had more to do with the fact that pulp characters like John Carter and The Shadow and whatnot just don't fit the mindset of a twenty-first century audience seemingly.

Patient_Leech
I just got back from a cheap showing of this. I found it very frustrating.

I wanted to like it and much of it is just fine, most of the characters are well done, Sam Jackson, Robbie, and Tarzan himself. I just didn't care for the narrative. Found it too jumbled and not enough attention was devoted to helping us care for the characters (secondary and main). Even the villain himself wasn't made to be disliked enough (Oh, and he is starting to play the same character in every film, which is getting a bit boring)

I think that's why this is a major flop with the critics because there just wasn't enough weight to justify the action.

I feel like Tarzan needs a full origin film before a film like this can work. A few jumbled and confusing flashbacks are not enough to establish this character. This film feels like the 2nd film in the series. They skipped the first! I was afraid of this once I heard a bit more about the story.

But it was disappointing in the sense that it kept hinting at showing Tarzan in all his prowess & glory & sadly that "scene" or climax never comes.

I did enjoy the movie but having read all the novels as a kid, I was hoping for more adventure. It just felt the movie kept hinting on an "epic" scene that never sadly arrives.

I felt like there was enough action, we just didn't care!

Patient_Leech

Yeah, I kind of agree. The few flashback scenes they had of his origin and then toward the end of the film when they show him swinging with the apes were the most compelling parts to me. That's what the film should have been! Sadly it was hollywoodized, turning into a 'blockbuster' film, so they overstuffed the script and it turned to a mess. Very sad. Because it's sort of exciting because you can tell that the technology is there now to really make a great adaptation.

sad

Esau Cairn
I just wanted to climax in my theatre seat whilst Tarzan was climaxing on the big screen. sad

But seriously, I wouldn't say the script was over stuffed or a mess.
It just felt like they chose one of Tarzan's "lesser" adventures & tried to make a bigger deal out of it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.