No Politics for the Holidays.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

Flyattractor
Screw this noise until next year.

Time for Parties and Holiday Fun!

*goes to throw yellow snowballs at Militant Atheists"

Time-Immemorial
Im willing to stop talking about it till the new year.

The Ecks
thumb up thumb up thumb up

Flyattractor
Originally posted by Time-Immemorial
Im willing to stop talking about it till the new year.

Good for you. I say bring on the spiked egg nog and lets all throw dollars at the girl that got wasted and thinks she is a pole dance at the work Holiday Party.

Let the world go to Hell.

Surtur
This is basically akin to the versus forum and suggesting they stop having versus matches, but that is the entire point of the versus forum.

Ushgarak
Actually the GDF was never really intended to be some sort of political battleground- I remember when poltiical topics were frowned upon; now it is all a lot of people want to open.

Flyattractor
The world is always better in Off Topic Forums!

Surtur
Originally posted by Ushgarak
Actually the GDF was never really intended to be some sort of political battleground- I remember when poltiical topics were frowned upon; now it is all a lot of people want to open.

It's the wording. Description of General forum talks of a place to "debate your fellow posters". Not much else to debate but politics. We have a religion forum, off topic forum, comic book vs forum, tv forum, book forum, music forum, movie forum, etc. A forum for everything but politics it seems. So it doesn't surprise me the topics for politics find their way here.

Ushgarak
Well it got on fine without this sort of focus on politics for over a decade, so I'd reject the idea of it being inevitable. It's just the people posting.

Surtur
You can reject the idea all you want, but yet here we are. But meh, just something I noticed that is all.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Surtur
You can reject the idea all you want, but yet here we are. But meh, just something I noticed that is all.

No, I agree with you. It was mostly politics when I first started posting here in 2007.

It was always something related to politics for the most part.

Ushgarak is referring to the old days when the GDF was barely distinguishable form the OTF. For example we had birthday threads and at least 2 picture threads in the GDF.

Ushgarak
Like I said, it's just the people.

Surtur
Or just the nature of a changing forum. Also the fact this forum has a revolving door for people who break the rules..you don't feel maybe that contributes a bit? It's like someone has to sacrifice the child of a mod to get a permanent ban.

Again just something I noticed, if you want to blame the people that goes for the posters and the mods who let it get this way, correct?

Bardock42
The GDF had eaten debates since I first joined, but they weren't as partisan or political as they have been recently.

Ushgarak
Forums change because of the people, so that's just repeating what I said.

People and posters are the same thing and the amount of effort needed to force people down a route in the way you imply is beyond that which is practical- nonetheless, I have started closing excess political topics for that reason.

Surtur
Yes the people, and the mods can prevent change they don't want or feel is counter productive.

Just saying, you want to blame the people cool, but that goes both ways. Closing excess political threads now is like putting a band aid on a gunshot wound.

Ushgarak
You have a poor idea about the sustained effort needed for that sort of moderating.

It's really the people. The GDF's posting quality reflects that of what people are putting into it- and a lot of that has become very troublesome. The mods can't mind control people and poor quality posting does not necessarily (or even often) reflect posts that need moderation.

Surtur
You are right, it's just the posters the mods hold no accountability. We have so many thousands of posters posting in this general discussion forum it is hard to keep track of them all.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Surtur
You are right, it's just the posters the mods hold no accountability. We have so many thousands of posters posting in this general discussion forum it is hard to keep track of them all. lol, we have like 10

Surtur
Oh just ten? Huh, strange. Guess I miscounted.

dadudemon
Originally posted by Bardock42
lol, we have like 10

Something tells me you overlooked two heaping scoops of sass from Surtur. hmm

Bardock42
Originally posted by dadudemon
Something tells me you overlooked two heaping scoops of sass from Surtur. hmm lol, yeah, I took that at face value, my bad, makes alot more sense now.

Time-Immemorial
Originally posted by dadudemon
Something tells me you overlooked two heaping scoops of sass from Surtur. hmm

He didn't even know Bardock was a DBZ character, so what can you expect.

Surtur
I found Bardock boring, the best thing he ever did was get himself vaporized. Especially the look on his face as he see's his attack has utterly failed. Priceless.

Time-Immemorial
I agree he was weak.

Mindset
If Santa were real he'd be a communist.

Van Hohenheim
Why not talk about politics during the holidays? If not politics then what? What if someone else finds that topic insulting or bad like you do?

As the mod said, the people in this site ultimately decide the outcome of events. And to Surtur: Do you honestly think a mod can make people change their preference in subject? Do you think they can also turn a theist into a atheist with their mod ability?

I've seen mods try to change popular demand, they all eventually break. Trends are made by... well I don't know how they're made, otherwise I would be talking about the greater things in life; instead of Donald Trump or diarrhea.

Q99
If you want to get the forum off a topic, you'll have to do something like close threads on the topic, regularly. Or ban the people who drive the subject the most.

Lord Lucien
Anyone ever go back and read the threads from the site's beginning? The 9/11 ones have a morbid nostalgia to it.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.