Did Satan get fired or did he quit?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

riv6672
Did he give up on the system altogether, or was he trying to enact change and get shot down? I've heard it described both ways.

Surtur
Or the 3rd option: it could be he is still employed. Remember the story of Job? Satan had the permission of God to do all kinds of horrible shit to him. Up to and including murdering his children. All basically just to see if Job will denounce God. He doesn't and eventually the people are brought back to life.

It's almost like the story of a battered housewife who won't leave her abusive husband no matter what he does.

juggerman
Originally posted by Surtur
Or the 3rd option: it could be he is still employed. Remember the story of Job? Satan had the permission of God to do all kinds of horrible shit to him. Up to and including murdering his children. All basically just to see if Job will denounce God. He doesn't and eventually the people are brought back to life.

I don't think that's how it goes

riv6672
Not sure about that battered housewife part, but the third option? Hadnt considered it. Thank you!

Surtur
Originally posted by juggerman
I don't think that's how it goes

That is how it goes though. I just looked it up on wiki to make sure my memory wasn't off. God essentially goes on about how pious Job is. Satan isn't evil, but he suggests to God the only reason is because he has all this stuff(wealth, a family, etc.)

He gets permission from God to do all kinds of horrible shit to Job, but Job still doesn't denounce God. In this role Satan is not an adversary, but more or less an advisor. Out to test humanity, but not necessarily harboring ill intent.

riv6672
Where's the battered housewife in that, though.

Surtur
That comment was mostly a joke, but Job was supposed to be the battered housewife. I.E. horrible shit keeps happening and he doesn't denounce God. You will note that is different from simply not letting bad luck get you down, since when your kids are all murdered and your wealth is gone and then suddenly the boils and shit start..it becomes pretty obvious this stuff is being done on purpose.

Q99

It's almost like the story of a battered housewife who won't leave her abusive husband no matter what he does.

Frankly, I view the Satan in Job as a separate figure. There's a tendency to conflate everyone portrayed as 'on the other side' as the same individual. See: The Serpent for another example.

The one in Job had a role roughly similar to an attorney presenting a case. I took that to be a non-traitorous Angel with a nasty job.

Adam_PoE

riv6672
Huh! This is all new to me, and really informative.

juggerman
That is how it goes though. I just looked it up on wiki to make sure my memory wasn't off. God essentially goes on about how pious Job is. Satan isn't evil, but he suggests to God the only reason is because he has all this stuff(wealth, a family, etc.)

He gets permission from God to do all kinds of horrible shit to Job, but Job still doesn't denounce God. In this role Satan is not an adversary, but more or less an advisor. Out to test humanity, but not necessarily harboring ill intent.

No one was brought back to life. He got a new family

Tattoos N Scars
Satan literally means 'adversary' in the Old Testament. It is an untranslated Hebrew word used in English and several other languages.

riv6672
At that point i personally might have told the responsible parties to suck it.

Surtur
Originally posted by juggerman
No one was brought back to life. He got a new family

That's f*cked up.

DarthAnt66
I muse it's good fanfiction material that Satan quit after God ordered him to serve mankind.

Just think. This immortal creature is being asked to be the servants of these imperfect beings.

So he rejects God, destroys mankind (via temptation), is banished for doing such, etc. etc.

Then again I don't believe Satan actually exists and is really just symbolic for evil but whatever.

Surtur
There is the other version of Satan(called Sataniel or Satariel) from the Book of Enoch who was basically the leader of a group of angels tasked with watching humanity. They were only supposed to observe. But they fell in love with humans and wanting to be with them and rebelled so they could take on bodies and be with them. Or something along those lines.

DarthAnt66
Was that in the Bible?

Surtur
Nah the Book of Enoch. Which admittedly has..a lot of strange stuff in it.

DarthAnt66
Good.

I really only have one rule for these sort of things:

If you want to write a fanfiction, make it good. wink

Surtur
Which is another problem with the bible as it was a council of people who decided which religious texts to reject and which to accept.

riv6672
There is the other version of Satan(called Sataniel or Satariel) from the Book of Enoch who was basically the leader of a group of angels tasked with watching humanity. They were only supposed to observe. But they fell in love with humans and wanting to be with them and rebelled so they could take on bodies and be with them. Or something along those lines.
I've heard this in other creation myths.

Q99
Right. This is basically conflating God's angel attorney, doing his job, with the more hostile figures.

Originally posted by DarthAnt66
I muse it's good fanfiction material that Satan quit after God ordered him to serve mankind.

A whole lot of stuff around Satan is really fanfic material smile Like ruling hell.

riv6672
^^^Its a living.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.