PT reboot?

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.

NewLanceWindu
Now that Disney owns Star Wars and bringing it back to form, would you be opposed to them trying to fix the Prequels? Completely redoing them to fix everything that was off/weird/continuity/badly acted/etc.

I want to say the outline of the PT works, but the directing was all over the place and the acting suffered because of it. The CGI hasn't aged well and the digital sets were terrible. Some re-working of the story could make everything mesh together a lot better.

Thoughts?

ares834
No. I'm not a fan but they are what they are and they have people who do enjoy them. I'd rather they create their own stories instead.

Zenwolf
No and they are fine, so saying "to fix" implies that something is wrong factually when it's all opinion. I thought the movies were fine, sorry that some couldn't follow along with what was going on.

Bardock42
Yes, the prequels are factually wrong and should be fixed ASAP.

Gambler
They are in no position to fix anything. They should seriously start thinking about fixing their own story.

Bashar Teg
technically it would not be a reboot, but a remake.

queeq
Yup. And I think they'r gonna let it be and continue with the other five movies they have planned. I think they have their work cut out.

And if they ever do, they'd probably wait until after Lucas has passed away, out of respect.

Impediment
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Disney, in 20 or so years, tried to completely remake the OT.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by Zenwolf
No and they are fine, so saying "to fix" implies that something is wrong factually when it's all opinion. I thought the movies were fine, sorry that some couldn't follow along with what was going on.

How does Leia remembering her real mother in ROTJ but Padme dying right after she's born in ROTS not equate to being factually wrong?

Anakin building Threepio is one of the stupidest plot points that adds nothing except for a way to introduce the droid.

The acting alone is grounds to reshoot the movies. It's not that I "couldn't follow along" it's that the movies were poorly made.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by Impediment
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Disney, in 20 or so years, tried to completely remake the OT.

They will never do that. The OT is the classic that still works to this day. The backlash would be too great.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by Bashar Teg
technically it would not be a reboot, but a remake.

Tomato potato.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by Gambler
They are in no position to fix anything. They should seriously start thinking about fixing their own story.

TFA's story was right as rain for me. Could have used a few more scenes in between others to flesh it out some more, but the overall story was still great.

Zenwolf
Originally posted by NewLanceWindu
How does Leia remembering her real mother in ROTJ but Padme dying right after she's born in ROTS not equate to being factually wrong?

Anakin building Threepio is one of the stupidest plot points that adds nothing except for a way to introduce the droid.

The acting alone is grounds to reshoot the movies. It's not that I "couldn't follow along" it's that the movies were poorly made.

1. The Force? But fine sure, let's go with that one, doesn't make all the movies wrong.

2. So?

3. Again opinion.

They are enjoyable, all have received mixed reviews and made bank. Just the hate is the loudest.

NewLanceWindu
1. The Force? But fine sure, let's go with that one, doesn't make all the movies wrong.

2. So?

3. Again opinion.

They are enjoyable, all have received mixed reviews and made bank. Just the hate is the loudest.

Absolutely not opinion. The acting is factually terrible. Even some of the actors note that their work in the PT was subpar. It doesn't fall on them, it falls on Lucas.

coolmovies
Lets distroy them and make them again

JediRobin23
No. The prequels belong to Lucas and I don't know why people don't respect that...

Bardock42
Originally posted by JediRobin23
No. The prequels belong to Lucas and I don't know why people don't respect that...

Cause why should they?

Bashar Teg
tbh, as long as GL is among the living, i think it would be in poor taste to shitcan the PT. besides there's plenty of possibilities for great SW movies for the next 10-20 years without having to dwell on the same saga/time/family. i do hope to see it happen within my own lifetime though.

|King Joker|
Nope.

BackFire
I think it would be a good idea at some point. Maybe not for 10+ years, but it would be nice if the prequel trilogy was relatively watchable outside of Revenge of the Sith. Like I said in another thread, there's a great story to be told there, they just need to get the it in the hands of a competent and passionate filmmaker this time.

Sith Master X
Sure.

Let's also remake: Star Trek Insurrection, Star Trek Nemisis & Battlefield Earth.

The prequels aren't....that....bad. There were shortcomings, and, despite the fact that no one will admit it, there were strengths. Plenty of memorable moments from each one, and plenty of things that could have been better, but such is life. No film is perfect.

Why are people worried about the PT now that an ultra perfect flawless mega masterpiece has been released?

Spider-Man 3 lead to a reboot, and look how that turned out.

Ushgarak
I think it would be an artistically empty exercise to remake the sequels (unless in some far future someone decides to remake all of SW from scratch- never impossible).

Instead, people should use new works not to try and wipe out the prequels (which I am a bit suspicious about with JJ Abrams) but to build on some of the ideas in them that were actually good (but generally poorly implemented)- then you can, in a way, make the prequels more worthwhile.

Sinious
Originally posted by Gambler
They are in no position to fix anything. They should seriously start thinking about fixing their own story. Honestly, ROTS >>> TFA imo.

EmperorSidious2

2. So?

3. Again opinion.

This

quanchi112
No. Continue on with the sequels and anthology films but they should remain untouched. Rots is awesome and I'd be pissed if they tried to redo that. Go forward not backward.

Bardock42
I think redoing them is better than like going back and trying to fix parts (though, who would do such an insane thing anyways).

People can still have the old Prequels, but people who'd like them to make a bit more sense can have new ones, seems fair.

queeq

2. So?

3. Again opinion.

There's a lot more wrong with PT apart from the fact that from a storytelling point of view these moves are as flawed as the OT is good.

The major problem is that the PT denies all the facts we know from the OT.

1. OB1 got to know Anakin when he was already a great pilot. He certainly didn't mean he was a good pod racer (who had never finished a race until the one when OB1 was around) In the comics and novelisations of the movies (also canon) we learn that OB1 and Anakin met DURING the Clone Wars, where Anakin was a great pilot of a fighter or something. Hence the comparison with Luke's T-16 flying Beggar's Canyon and his reputation as being 'the best pilot of the outer rim territories'. Luke didn't do pod racers, he FLEW a 'plane'.

2. OB1 said that Anakin was strong with the Force and he thought he could train him just as well as Yoda did. The PT tells us QGJ found him and wanted to train him. OB1 got to train him because QGJ and the Jedi Council wanted him to do it. he got STUCK with Anakin.

3. From the conversation in Yoda's house in ESB we never get the idea that OB1 was a reckless three year old waving his lightsaber against Millennium Falcon remotes. He was clearly trained as a young man by Yoda.

4. We also learn from Vader that OB1 once thought there was still good in Anakin. Now, I don't see that anywhere in the PT. The moment OB1 opposes Anakin after his fall, it's a fight (dancing, swinging, twirling, surfing) that ends in Anakin being a limbless piece of bacon. They don't meet until the Death Star

5. Vader says in ANH: when I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master. In the ROTS Anakin is a fully trained Jedi Knight, a Master even, the youngest ever. From the Clone Wars series we learn that he has a padawan.

I mean, the list goes on. And on. It's also clear in the OT that Leia stayed with her mom before being adopted by the Organa's and Luke was taken elsewhere. Owen Lars was OB1 brother... I mean, Lucas changed his mind so much that everything got muddled.

I think if you want to remake the PT, it should be three movies starting after the beginning of the Clone Wars (in ANH we drop in the middle of a Galactic Civil war), we don't need to know how it started, just that we get a vehicle for Palpy to wriggle gis way into power.
We need to see 1,5 movies of great heroics of a likeable Anakin and maybe his fall at the end of EpII. Then EPIII is about OB1 trying to turn back the 'good man that was once' Anakin, thinking, there was 'still good in him'. The end of EPIII would then be a gritty, ugly fight between two brothers. And all we need for that is a slope and some lava at the bottom. Not a lot of weird droids and ropes to swing on.

Bardock42
I'd watch it

Ushgarak
Originally posted by Bardock42
I think redoing them is better than like going back and trying to fix parts (though, who would do such an insane thing anyways).

People can still have the old Prequels, but people who'd like them to make a bit more sense can have new ones, seems fair.

If that's in reference to me, I didn't mean 'go back and try to fix parts', I mean 'work with the parts that worked when making films now'.

Which the new film did immediately with balance of the Force.

Darth Thor
Originally posted by Sinious
Honestly, ROTS >>> TFA imo.

This

Beniboybling
Honestly, ROTS >>> TFA imo. thumb up

Anyway it's never going to happen. It would be completely disrespectful to George Lucas, who Lucasfilm, Disney and J.J have publicly praised. In light of that, and on top of the fact that many fans would be opposed to the idea, marketing it would be a PR disaster.

FreshestSlice
Honestly, ROTS >>> TFA imo.
Yup.

Lord Stark
I wouldn't mind an alternate universe kinda thing like Abram's Star Trek that changes the plotline. But since that's already been done in Star Trek...nah.

Bardock42
Originally posted by Ushgarak
If that's in reference to me, I didn't mean 'go back and try to fix parts', I mean 'work with the parts that worked when making films now'.

Which the new film did immediately with balance of the Force.

Oh no, it wasn't meant as reply to you, just a little jab at Lucas' tendency to change the OT. I do agree with you that the new movies should expand on what was good in the PT, in the way that they already sort of did. However I think that doesn't preclude at some point redoing the Prequels in a different way, to work with the OT and the new movies as well. The thing is I don't think it would even be necessary to talk about Canon at all, you can treat both as different options, and can just go with whatever you prefer, I think.

Bentley
The OT was weak, so the PT fixed it thumb up

Now, into a more serious note, the Prequels gave us a big universe with a variety of factions, powerful characters to explore the lore of the Force and several locations to expand the universe. Both have a lot of color, which is one of the strenghts of the franchise and the PT is thankfully very different to the original series, because of that, future films will be richer and able to draw inspiration of a bigger lore.

It was of critical importance than the PT strayed from the OT, that's its biggest strenght.

Bardock42
The PT had strengths, I do agree that it did some great world building, but it's strength were none of the things that contradicted the OT, and it is weighed down by a pretty stupid story and mainly unlikable main characters.

queeq
The greatest strength of the PT is that there are some excellent ideas behind it. The execution is utterly horrible though.

But now we have TFA and there is balance of good and bad SW movies. Well, almost. I'd like more good SW movies than lousy ones. wink

Darth Thor
Whether people enjoyed the PT or not I don't think anyone could deny that each one of them was very Original and full of Imagination. TFA is honestly the first SW movie to lack Originality and Imagination IMO.

It's just a shame Lucas didn't/couldn't execute Jar Jar Binks, Whiny Anakin and the Anakn/Padme love story better.

coolmovies
we cant change the PT now thats the way its gonna stay

queeq
Same with TFA.

You know, TFA is a classic Hollywood: more of the same but different. And I can certainly appreciate that it DOES feel different, I was entertained (twice so far) and that doing something like that is extremely hard. Lots of kudos from my end and looking forward to other movies.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by coolmovies
we cant change the PT now thats the way its gonna stay

That's stopped nobody from editing movies year later. Just look at the OT.

queeq
laughing out loud

You'd have to do a lot of editing.

NewLanceWindu
Originally posted by queeq
laughing out loud

You'd have to do a lot of editing.

Which is why it would be better to remake. big grin

C-3POTheClever
This is a bad idea!! Regardless of how you feel the Prequels, they are Lucas's creation & there are many people who like them. They do have their fans now, & do remake them wouldn't be fair to the people who see the Prequels as 'their star wars'. Just enjoy all the other Star Wars films they're making.

Text-only Version: Click HERE to see this thread with all of the graphics, features, and links.